Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Two HD on Sky [Merged]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭warlikedave

ShaneOC wrote: »
    5.1 Surround sound is available via an optical cable from Sky+HD (and regular Sky+).

Hence why i said its not available via hdmi. Some of us cant afford seperate surround sound systems :p

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MarkK

Can't be too much longer, they are already plugging RTE 2 HD on their web site:
    http://www.sky.com/ireland/summerofsport/
    "Feel part of Ireland’s bid for glory in Euro 2012 on RTÉ Two HD."

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭p.oconnor

Can anyone tell me is their much of a difference in bit rates between the channel on satellite and on saorview, I hear the capacity on saorview will be lower then that on sky meaning a reduction in picture quality .... coming to terms with the fact i will be buying a saorview set top box :)

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Johnny Johnson

It does look marginally better on satellite but I find the Saorview version to be of excellent quality too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Widescreen

galtee boy wrote: »
    Technical difficulties, which is on RTE's side I think. My hunch is that its the EPG data that's causing problems. Sky will need to highlight in "orange" on their EPG, what programmes are actually in HD on RTE2, I presume RTE have to provide this information and currently they are not even doing this on their own EPG on Saorview. "Technical problems" to an organisation like Sky, with probably the best tech support in Europe behind them, would not be allowed to delay a channel launch, unless the "technical problems" are outside their control.

They wont be using much of that orange print then:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

that advert is really taking the P**s with its watch the boys in green for free. it actually locks you into a 12 month hd subscription with only 3 months free. technically they are correct that it wont cost you anything while the euros is on with your free 3 months.. they are masters at art of the english language sky..

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Keithl2156

I just rang Sky in Cork and they told me the channel did not launch because the EPG listings were not yet available apparently:rolleyes:. But she did confirm that the official launch of the channel will be some time tomorrow, the 16th May 2012 and apologised for any inconvenience as Sky did not have control over the problem caused by RTÉ. Hopefully I see it tomorrow.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

I may be wrong but that sounds like BS to me , there is no difference between the current epg on RTE2 SD or HD

Keithl2156 wrote: »
    I just rang Sky in Cork and they told me the channel did not launch because the EPG listings were not yet available

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Keithl2156 wrote: »
    I just rang Sky in Cork and they told me the channel did not launch because the EPG listings were not yet available apparently:rolleyes:. But she did confirm that the official launch of the channel will be some time tomorrow, the 16th May 2012 and apologised for any inconvenience as Sky did not have control over the problem caused by RTÉ. Hopefully I see it tomorrow.:)

Aha, so my hunch about the EPG on Rte's side causing the "technical" problems was right !

Tony wrote: »
    I may be wrong but that sounds like BS to me , there is no difference between the current epg on RTE2 SD or HD

Could be, as was suggested earlier, that the HD programmes weren't flagged.

• Advertisement

Widescreen wrote: »
    They wont be using much of that orange print then:D

Good one !

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

p.oconnor wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me is their much of a difference in bit rates between the channel on satellite and on saorview, I hear the capacity on saorview will be lower then that on sky meaning a reduction in picture quality .... coming to terms with the fact i will be buying a saorview set top box :)

There was a post somewhere about this,the poster tested the bitrate & the one on Sky was way above Saorview's.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

zerks wrote: »
    There was a post somewhere about this,the poster tested the bitrate & the one on Sky was way above Saorview's.

Here maybe - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=78610977

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭formerly scottish paddy

I see viewers in Norn Iron are not happy that they are now getting RTE 2HD and they still don't have UTV HD! Despite UTV telling the queen two years ago they are first with HD.:o (Yea I know it's on cable in Belfast, but there are only about 10 people who have cable! by far the most with HD have SKY)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Karsini wrote: »

Fair point, I missed the earlier mention.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Karsini wrote: »
    That’s a good point. No HD flag would confuse viewers – especially since RTE have the HD logo on screen persistently. Sky would not want a HD channel not conforming to their technical requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭formerly scottish paddy

Anyone seen it on the EPG yet? supposed to be up today. Are both HD and SD going to be at 102?

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭energy1942

Anyone seen it on the EPG yet? supposed to be up today. Are both HD and SD going to be at 102?
    it will only be made available to subscribers of the skyhd pack.
    For those who pay a subscription without the skyhd pack they will continue to recieve rte2 in sd on ch 102,
    further to that subscribers of the skyhd pack will also have the option of watching rte2 in sd on ch292

• Registered Users Posts: 6,591 ✭✭✭zg3409

There was an insert in the Irish Indo today, saying get HD RTE, 3 months free etc, nearly identical to the website

http://www.sky.com/ireland/summerofsport

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

zg3409 wrote: »
    There was an insert in the Irish Indo today, saying get HD RTE, 3 months free etc, nearly identical to the website

http://www.sky.com/ireland/summerofsport

Theres not a hope in hell tha I`ll subscribe to the HD pack. Pretty sneaky of Sky to stick RTE 2 HD in to the pack but I can live without it.(Or get a Saorview box!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

zg3409 wrote: »

Scan of flyer attached

No sign of it so far today, will become embarrassing for Sky as well as RTE, if it doesn't show up today.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

maybe RTE printed the wrong week, maybe it's not out till next Monday/Tuesday. The name tag in other channels changed from 1270 to RTE2 HD only yesterday evening so looks like they are still testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭Dinarius

I tuned in RTE 2 HD the other day and watched their Premiership Football special on Sunday evening.

Switching between HD and regular RTE 2, I could see a little difference.

But, all other HD channels on Sky are of a different order entirely.

The HD badge was in the top left hand corner of the screen.

Is it not HD as we know it?

Thanks.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 metalmic

http://www.rte.ie/ten/2012/0513/rte.html

This is an article on RTE's own website from last Sunday. Someone is not communicating with someone else!! I have the Sky hd pack but no sign of it.

metalmic wrote: »
    http://www.rte.ie/ten/2012/0513/rte.html

This is an article on RTE's own website from last Sunday. Someone is not communicating with someone else!! I have the Sky hd pack but no sign of it.

Well, if it's as iffy as I saw last Sunday, there isn't much to anitcipate.

D,

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭An Tarbh

Dinarius wrote: »
    Well, if it's as iffy as I saw last Sunday, there isn't much to anitcipate.

D,

The Premiership is only upscaled on RTÉ TWO HD. Green is the colour is supposed to be in native HD tonight.

An Tarbh wrote: »
    The Premiership is only upscaled on RTÉ TWO HD. Green is the colour is supposed to be in native HD tonight.

That explains it.

Thanks.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭energy1942

Just spoke on phone to sky's cork offfice & was told that rte2hd will not be launched on the epg for now due to technical difficulties but that it will remain available on other channels, meaning that it will not be possible to record.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 Keithl2156

I just spoke to sky and they said it will be there by tonight !

Advertisement