Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Two HD on Sky [Merged]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Some very strange audio issues going on with rte twoHD I can hear all the background noises, however can't hear any vocals at all. Anyone else getting the same?

• Subscribers Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Some very strange audio issues going on with rte twoHD I can hear all the background noises, however can't hear any vocals at all. Anyone else getting the same?

Perfect for me at the moment and for last 20 mins, are you using a sky hd box?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭warlikedave

Aquos76 wrote: »

That has been an on and off occurance over the last few days. It is part of the test one may surmise

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Yeah, it's intermittent ok, it's perfect again.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

That has been an on and off occurance over the last few days. It is part of the test one may surmise

It happened for me the first couple of days on some programmes and then has been fine ever since. It was consistent during the programmes but not the ads. No issues at all tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭warlikedave

They are probably testing the background sound and comparing it the the main audio of the people speaking....its not gonna make too much of a difference considering that the sky+hd box doesnt transfer digital 5.1 surround sound via hdmi as far as i remember. Shame really

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

They are probably testing the background sound and comparing it the the main audio of the people speaking....its not gonna make too much of a difference considering that the sky+hd box doesnt transfer digital 5.1 surround sound via hdmi as far as i remember. Shame really

5.1 Surround sound is available via an optical cable from Sky+HD (and regular Sky+).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 saor2view

ShaneOC wrote: »

5.1 Surround sound is available via an optical cable from Sky+HD (and regular Sky+).
    Has anybody heard the rumor of sky doing a free to air installation package like the do
    in UK ~Full installation sky hd box fta card for rte tv3 tng with all uk fta channels £179.00which would be aprox €200 here.Thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

fta card
    oxymoron. No such thing inherently.

Sky don't do Free to Air ANYWHERE. They do at a price in UK install a pointless Psuedo FTV package which is a hook to get a viewer to upgrade to a subscription.

Now that BBC1, main ITV, C4 and C5 are all Free To Air, there is no "real" FTV card in UK anymore. It's just a Sky marketing gimmick.

Some people in Ireland threatening to cancel are offered a reduced package for about €15. Since virtually everything in it is Free on Saorview/Saorsat plus Freesat/FTA, it's a waste of €180 a year!

For Free To Air UK TV in UK or Sky it's a better deal to buy a "Freesat HD" box and installation (or DIY) especially if you want free recording. You can get a better dish. The Sky dish is a minimum size and built down to a price. A Sky box for FTA or FTV might have been great value 5 years ago and 10 years ago a Sub and cancelling after a year was best value.

Now Sky is a Crippled box unless used for Pay TV. It's no use for non-Sky platform (such as Saorsat or mainland Europe TV). A good "Freesat HD" box can have as much or more ease of use and control TV too.

BTW
    Almost no Free channels use real 5.1. I've checked also many German channels and even when flagged "5.1" it was just stereo. I suspect simply using AAC codec to either improve quality or reduce bitrate and since this is used for 5.1 and MP2 is usually used for Mono/Stereo the "flag" is really just saying AAC in use, not 5.1

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭energy1942

just spoke on the phone to sky & was told that due to technical difficulties the launch of rte2hd will probably be delayed for a further few days, I was also told that it will only be made available to subscribers of the skyhd pack.
    For those who pay a subscription without the skyhd pack they will continue to recieve rte2 in sd on ch 102,
    further to that subscribers of the skyhd pack will also have the option of watching rte2 in sd on ch292.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Surely if true it's a bad move by RTE

For sport alone ... if I don't have the HD pack, I'll be watching sport if available on the free HD stations (namely BBC and ITV for the Euros) - meaning lower viewing figures for RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭formerly scottish paddy

Anyone know if RTÉ 2HD will be available in N.Ireland? If so on channel 162?

Time for non-HD sky subscribers to write to RTE, BAI and Sky (all three). On paper. Not emails.

Sky are blatantly exploiting their customers.
    Surely if true it's a bad move by RTE
    It's not actually RTE's decision how Sky prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Razor Russ

watty wrote: »
    Time for non-HD sky subscribers to write to RTE, BAI and Sky (all three). On paper. Not emails.

Cant understand how sky are exploiting people, they provide a service which we pay for. There are different tiers of service, if you want HD channels you pay for them. Personally i dont mind paying €15 per Household for 55 hd channels

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Don't get me wrong, I agree that RTE2 HD should be available without the HD sub, but ye might as well write to Santa also, because while Sky are paying for carraige, encryption, epg listing etc etc and RTE are happy for the free ride, Sky can and will do what they like, with a channel that they are giving a free ride to, on their own platform.

galtee boy wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong, I agree that RTE2 HD should be available without the HD sub, but ye might as well write to Santa also, because while Sky are paying for carraige, encryption, epg listing etc etc and RTE are happy for the free ride, Sky can and will do what they like, with a channel that they are giving a free ride to, on their own platform.

that is the unfortunate thing, it is sky's platform. and if i am not mistaken RTE is on the platform at sky's request i.e. to help increase sky subscriber numbers. RTE have stated previously that they are on the sky platform at no cost to themselves. i imagine the same applies to RTE HD channels (sky bearing the complete cost)

Razor Russ wrote: »

that is the unfortunate thing, it is sky's platform. and if i am not mistaken RTE is on the platform at sky's request i.e. to help increase sky subscriber numbers. RTE have stated previously that they are on the sky platform at no cost to themselves. i imagine the same applies to RTE HD channels (sky bearing the complete cost)
    Just let you know rte have bin payin sly for epg space and the contract is either due or already over.so my have come to arrangement with sly for coverage on their platform.meaning rte are on all tv / radio platrorms in Ireland /Uk / Europe .Very easy for them and sly issue card and box and install one price.Check out Sky.com under Freesat installations

saor2view wrote: »
    Just let you know rte have bin payin sly for epg space and the contract is either due or already over.so my have come to arrangement with sly for coverage on their platform.meaning rte are on all tv / radio platrorms in Ireland /Uk / Europe .Very easy for them and sly issue card and box and install one price.Check out Sky.com under Freesat installations

Its news to me that RTE have been paying Sky for anything, are you sure ? and that Sky/Freesat system you mention is for UK only, not ROI.

Its news to me that RTE have been paying Sky for anything, are you sure ? and that Sky/Freesat system you mention is for UK only, not ROI.
    Rte have bin paying for epg slot on sly basic at a considerable reduction for past few years its up for renewal or is already up now that rte is on saorview/saorsat they dont need sly so if sly looked after them with card dish installation sly have there goot back in the door and rte have full platforms covered Ireland/Uk /Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭JDxtra

They are called Sky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭p.oconnor

watty wrote: »

Somehow i would recon it would be as effective as pissing against the wind... cant believe that the €32 a month i pay will not give me access to a channel i pay a licence fee for, some of us just cannot afford the extra €15 at this time..

p.oconnor wrote: »
    Somehow i would recon it would be as effective as pissing against the wind... cant believe that the €32 a month i pay will not give me access to a channel i pay a licence fee for, some of us just cannot afford the extra €15 at this time..

you are right about having to pay the extra 15€, i would imagine in time sky will wave that fee like they did with the sky+ fee. That wont happen for some time yet though until HD becomes more main stream. The point is though they are not stopping you accessing a channel you pay for you can still receive and watch RTE 2 just not in HD

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mugser

So when is this being turned on?

Mugser wrote: »
    So when is this being turned on?

The best guess this forum has come up with is Wednesday at the earliest

Razor Russ wrote: »
    The best guess this forum has come up with is Wednesday at the earliest

Technical difficulties, which is on RTE's side I think. My hunch is that its the EPG data that's causing problems. Sky will need to highlight in "orange" on their EPG, what programmes are actually in HD on RTE2, I presume RTE have to provide this information and currently they are not even doing this on their own EPG on Saorview. "Technical problems" to an organisation like Sky, with probably the best tech support in Europe behind them, would not be allowed to delay a channel launch, unless the "technical problems" are outside their control.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

Rte have bin paying for epg slot on sly basic at a considerable reduction for past few years its up for renewal or is already up now that rte is on saorview/saorsat they dont need sly so if sly looked after them with card dish installation sly have there goot back in the door and rte have full platforms covered Ireland/Uk /Europe.

Have bin???goot back?? sorry dont believe people who does not use proper grammer

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭energy1942

I have just noticed The label has been corrected.
    This suggests to me that the official launch may be imminent,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Is it "RTE Two HD" or "RTE TWO HD"?

It has been a minor gripe of mine that the labels for the RTE stations are "RTE One" and "RTE TWO". Where is the consistency people? :)

p.oconnor wrote: »
    .. cant believe that the €32 a month i pay will not give me access to a channel i pay a licence fee for, some of us just cannot afford the extra €15 at this time..

People with a suitable TV aerial and suitable TV have had this channel "free" ages

You pay a licence fee just to have a TV receiving device in the house, even it you get no channels.

Sky are primarily a UK service with Irish channels and sales tacked on. They won't care unless there is threat of cancellations and official complaints.

I agree it's despicable if they insist it's only in the HD pack as it's not a PayTV channel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭thebrush

It's RTE TWO HD i'm afraid!!:D

Cheers.

Advertisement