Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Two HD on Sky [Merged]

Options
1202122232426»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 ConCoBar

Just do what I did when living in Liverpool. Buy a Sky box on ebay or get one from a mate who upgraded. I've got 4 I think in the attic over the years. Ring Sky, tell them you want a subscription and you don't have a phone line, bring the box over and hook it up to a dish in your house. If you don't have a dish buy one on ebay or something and get an aerial installer to set it up. I got all Irish channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭redfacedbear

I see RTE2HD took another leap up the EPG yesterday - it was at 115 last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭zg3409

They must not like people getting it for free so keep hiding it.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Racket

zg3409 wrote: »
    They must not like people getting it for free so keep hiding it.

I dunno, moving it to a much more prominent position doesn't seem like a good way to hide it. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭MACHEAD

It's still away up at 227 up here in 'the north' (115 is BBC Three here).

Still good to get to see it at all I suppose!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Pity that 'Premier Soccer Saturday' was blacked out at the weekend here in NI. Saorview or Saorsat for avid sports fans here I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Mr. Rabbit

MACHEAD wrote: »
    It's still away up at 227 up here in 'the north' (115 is BBC Three here).

Still good to get to see it at all I suppose!

It's still on 162 on my Sky box.

Maybe the fact that it's RTE2 HD now is the reason why premier soccer Saturday is being blocked (It was in the clear for much of last season).

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

ninja900 wrote: »
    Highlights won't be in HD until RTE fully equip their studios for HD.This would take a long time even if they weren't broke.
    Even if the live game is in HD, the highlights will be in SD.

This makes no sense as the HD is a recording and no extra cost.

You don't need a HD studio for that.

During Euro 2012 all studio coverage was upscaled SD and the games were HD.

No reason why they can't do that with GAA highlights if it was recorded in HD.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,920 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

murpho999 wrote: »
    This makes no sense as the HD is a recording and no extra cost.

You don't need a HD studio for that.

During Euro 2012 all studio coverage was upscaled SD and the games were HD.

No reason why they can't do that with GAA highlights if it was recorded in HD.

That's just it. They can do live HD feeds, they are not currently equipped to show recorded/delayed/edited HD material.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭formerly scottish paddy

ninja900 wrote: »
    That's just it. They can do live HD feeds, they are not currently equipped to show recorded/delayed/edited HD material.
    Well they are actually equipped to show recorded HD programmes and have done so, so they must have HD VTRs. The problem arises when trying to route HD VTRs through a SD studio gallery, (a TV broadcast centre is a very complicated place and trying to upgrade it while it is in everyday use is not easy) Also remember RTE has had to build the Saorview network at the same time without a penny of government money, and the same government hope to sell off frequencies as a result. I presume the live HD games are cut to directly by presentation so they do not have to go through the studio mixer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

Pity that 'Premier Soccer Saturday' was blacked out at the weekend here in NI. Saorview or Saorsat for avid sports fans here I guess.

Down here, we get 'Not Available In ROI' at the end of the programme info on C4. I presume you don't get this on RTE2 in NI?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,538 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Well they are actually equipped to show recorded HD programmes and have done so, so they must have HD VTRs. The problem arises when trying to route HD VTRs through a SD studio gallery, (a TV broadcast centre is a very complicated place and trying to upgrade it while it is in everyday use is not easy) Also remember RTE has had to build the Saorview network at the same time without a penny of government money, and the same government hope to sell off frequencies as a result. I presume the live HD games are cut to directly by presentation so they do not have to go through the studio mixer?

Maybe Tony could lend them a Fergie 120 to record and playback HD :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Down here, we get 'Not Available In ROI' at the end of the programme info on C4. I presume you don't get this on RTE2 in NI?

A similar message for NI does not appear in guide but when programme begins you get message saying 'this programme is not available'.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 tul0mox

hi
    i have a sky hd +box and am recieving rte2 hd on ch 115

i also have a standard box in another room (sky miutiroom package)

if i switch cards and put the standard box card in the hd box rte2hd reads wrong card for this box but bbchd itv hd and all the other hd 's still work

anyone know a way around this as i was thinking about about changing the
    standard box to a hd box

cheers

:):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Manc-Red

tul0mox wrote: »
    hi
    i have a sky hd +box and am recieving rte2 hd on ch 115

i also have a standard box in another room (sky miutiroom package)

if i switch cards and put the standard box card in the hd box rte2hd reads wrong card for this box but bbchd itv hd and all the other hd 's still work

anyone know a way around this as i was thinking about about changing the
    standard box to a hd box

cheers

:):)
    As far as I'm aware all HD channels are paired via the card to the box & can't be overridden unless you have third party software on other boxes.

RTE2 HD is encrypted on Sky and requires a valid Irish or Northern Irish card paired with the box. The box also needs to be HD capable. The box does NOT need a "HD pack" subscription

BBC HD is in the clear and requires no subscription or card.

If you are currently paying for multiroom, then going out and buying a HD box yourself and pairing the card with this box will enable RTE2HD to be viewed.

So yes, if you upgrade your box, and pay for multiroom (without paying for HD) you will get the free HD channels. If you also get a recoding box that might come in handy too, though for full features you would require 2 cables from the dish.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 tul0mox

thanks zg3409

if im going to do it i might as well do it right the sky+hd box is cheaper to install 109 euro
    than the new hd multi room box 160 euro sky prices for box and istallation
    but ill get the bhd+ box myself and run the recording cable from the lnb

spoke to a sky salesman and he said to me its only a matter of pairing the box by ringing sky customer services no extra subscriptions

You don't need to buy the box from Sky. It's far cheaper to buy a second hand one online and "install" it yourself by plugging it in. You could also try sell the old box. As mentioned just ring sky and pair the card to the new box.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,546 ✭✭✭Zardoz

The difference in the picture quality between Premiership Soccer Saturday last night on RTE2 and Match of the Day on BBC1 was like night and day.
    Very poor picture on RTE2 ,blurry and washed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Isn't it upscaled on RTE?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,546 ✭✭✭Zardoz

lertsnim wrote: »
    Isn't it upscaled on RTE?
    Ah yes,seems you are correct,saw this on previous page.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

has RTE any plans to offer surround sound (5.1 or 7.1) on RTE 2 ? What is it at the moment ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Anyone notice picture breakups on RTE Two HD on sky during the champions league match tonight? ... There seemed to be no problems on Saorview only on satellite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

aindriu80 wrote: »
    has RTE any plans to offer surround sound (5.1 or 7.1) on RTE 2 ? What is it at the moment ?
    It seems that RTE are putting out the dolby digital feed on RTE 2 HD on the sky platform. But not yet on Saorview and the rest of the Irish services. Saorview approve equipment are ready to handle surround sound. RTE 2 showed a film about Man City fc last week and i was getting surround sound off it with my home cinema receiver.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

Jpmarn wrote: »
    It seems that RTE are putting out the dolby digital feed on RTE 2 HD on the sky platform. But not yet on Saorview and the rest of the Irish services. Saorview approve equipment are ready to handle surround sound. RTE 2 showed a film about Man City fc last week and i was getting surround sound off it with my home cinema receiver.

great, nice to get it

Advertisement