Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MUX 2 launch date ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

CH Mux 2 fired up again
    same singal strengh as Mux 1
    Nothing transmitted atm

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭jamescc

nothing from three rock

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭glimmerman123

Mux 2 from Maghera not fired up either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭warlikedave

nothing from mount leinster

58 is back on again . the test screen is back up

• Advertisement

jamescc wrote: »
    58 is back on again . the test screen is back up

Good find. The FuBK card is gone, replaced with a 4:3 PM5544. There's also some other new cards on there. My TV is also picking up a data service on channel 300 named SSU.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,262 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Yes, mux 2 coming in from Kippure...

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

No mux 2 from Maghera yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

Nothing from Cairn Hill

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

Nothing from Spur Hill
    or Mullaghanish (but i have a very poor reception from their anyway)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭aerial man

ninja900 wrote: »
    Yes, mux 2 coming in from Kippure...

We're getting the 2nd mux from kippure aswell. Have they shown anything on it or is it just the test cards with the RTENL?

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭marclt

Anything from Mt. Leinster?

marclt wrote: »
    Anything from Mt. Leinster?

When I checked on Sunday, there wasn't however I don't think there will be until the swtichover, however I'll check over the weekend when I'm home

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I doubt any Mux2 until either Oireachtas TV launches or a 2nd channel goes HD format. At the minute a 2nd mux isn't needed and would double transmission cost.

watty wrote: »
    I doubt any Mux2 until either Oireachtas TV launches or a 2nd channel goes HD format. At the minute a 2nd mux isn't needed and would double transmission cost.

When would you think there might be a second HD channel? I presume TG4 and TV3 are strongly considering it at the moment?

EVENTUALLY....
    RTE1, TG4 and TV3 will be HD format. As to how much decent HD content is another story.

Don't hold your breath. But it will happen.
    3D is less likely as it makes HD be 1/2 the quality or else needs nearly twice the spectrum. It's not actually 3D but Stereoscopic 2D, doesn't even work for 20% of people and makes many more uncomfortable after prolonged viewing. Current "3D" is an overpriced gimmick.

watty wrote: »
    doesn't even work for 20% of people and makes many more uncomfortable after prolonged viewing. Current "3D" is an overpriced gimmick.

I'd agree, personally i find it uncomfortable. I'd prefer decent HD, most people who have "3D" that I've worked for, never use it after the first or second DVD. It 's more of a passing phase until real 3D comes about.

Regarding the Oireachtas TV and switching on MUX2, could they use the first MUX or is the bandwidth near its maximum?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,613 ✭✭✭zg3409

aerial man wrote: »
    Oireachtas TV and switching on MUX2, could they use the first MUX or is the bandwidth near its maximum?

According to RTENL the current Mux is basically full. If anything needs to be added they need to go with the second Mux. The good news then is that they can instantly have a few more channels HD.

The only catch is RTE has only one studio with HD capable cameras at the moment and as of today they cannot feed HD from that studio to the transmission network. This will be fixed soon as they are upgrading their internal studio to studio switching system.

Their initial plan was to move to an entire new building but that never happened. There is a massive logisitical problem upgrading studios that are in use daily and installing new cabling in a building that is 110% full of cables installed since the 1960s.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

Mux 2 ch. 55 now fired up from Maghera. Usual test services but now has a "data" channel labeled "SSU" ch. no. 800, which I haven't seen before.
    Mulla still silent on ch. 24.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

Mux 2 ch. 55 now fired up from Maghera. Usual test services but now has a "data" channel labeled "SSU" ch. no. 800, which I haven't seen before.

That SSU Channel is doubling up with RTÉ1 on my TV here, from Kippure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Are you seeing Ch 55 at a lower power level? Ch 48 is around 70% but Ch 55 is only about 40% for me.

EDIT: Scrub that. My other TV has same % levels on both ch's, so I must be getting greater signal loss for that freq. over the combined sat/DTT cable.

I know that Mux2 testing has been going on at the main Tx sites for some time now, but in view of the ASO in a few months, I don't recall any Mux2 activity being repoted at any of the smaller lower powered sites particularly in my area in Kerry.
    Has anyone seen the proposed Mux2 channel/frequency allocation for these smaller sites?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,512 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Has anyone seen the proposed Mux2 channel/frequency allocation for these smaller sites?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056427289

Strange they left Mux 2 ch 55 from Maghera on all weekend with no content.
    Another thing is I have my TV set to auto screen format & all Saorview channels automatically switch to 16:9 but test service 4 auto switches to 4:3 when selected. I would have thought 4:3 was banished with today's tech.

Strange they left Mux 2 ch 55 from Maghera on all weekend with no content.
    Another thing is I have my TV set to auto screen format & all Saorview channels automatically switch to 16:9 but test service 4 auto switches to 4:3 when selected. I would have thought 4:3 was banished with today's tech.
    Yes I was expecting Mux 2 to be switched off around 4pm Friday last. Still on now from Maghera.

Mux 2 from Maghera now switched off. Went off around 2pm.

stil on from 3 rock

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭thomasking22008

When there mux 2 launch for 7 new channel ? And what channe will be on future ?

Oireachtas TV is the only extra channel on the horizon.
    Maybe 2014 TG4 or TV3 will have HD. Any additional channel going HD need the 2nd Mux activated.

There will not be seven new channels. Probably not inside next 10 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,512 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Mux 2 testing from Mullaghanish with testcards

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement