Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MUX 2 launch date ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭jamescc

on from 3rock also with testcards.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭glimmerman123

Nothing from Maghera yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Pat Gleeson

Nothing from Maghera yet.

Ditto Woodcock Hill - which hasn't had Mux 2 activity for quite a while ....

I did a quick scan today and picked up Mux 2 on channel 56 for about an hour and then it was switched off. As my main transmitter for Saorview is Maghera does any of you guys know what transmitter i was picking it up on? Mux 2 from Maghera was not fired up today.

running from threerock

• Advertisement

jamescc wrote: »
    running from threerock
    How long has it been on from Three Rock?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

I did a quick scan today and picked up Mux 2 on channel 56 for about an hour and then it was switched off. As my main transmitter for Saorview is Maghera does any of you guys know what transmitter i was picking it up on?

Knockmoyle or Kilduff?

Edit: Knockmoyle is probably a bit far away from Maghera's service area, I was thinking of the location of the Cnoc an Oir site.

Peter Rhea wrote: »
    Knockmoyle or Kilduff?
    Thanks for that Peter i take it these are relay transmitters and that it is the first time Mux 2 has been relayed from any of the relays.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

Mux 2 was running at the Monaghan relay on channel 59 when Saorview started from there.

Not sure for how long & haven't seen it since.

How long has it been on from Three Rock?

not sure i just checked and it was working not watching now but will check later

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Getting 7 test TV stations on ch 49 (Spur Hill), coming in as 11 to 17 - just different test cards. Channel name Test Service 1 etc. Also getting 9 radio stations on 211 - 219 channel name Seirbhis Thrialach. My TV labels them audio only, but there is no sound. When I switched on some of the TV channels my TV (LG LW650T) a red button appeared in the corner labelled "update is detected". If I press the red button immediately, I get an message saying "Software update information from other channels is detected. Would you like to search for the channels?" If I press yes then I get a message saying "No available software update found".
    On my other TV (Nordmende 32") I don't get these messages, but when I do a manual scan, the first channel is listed as hidden and as a data channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Receiving Mux 2 from either Maghera or woodcock Hill transmitters.

Getting mux1 on Ch 47 Wood cock Hill and Mux 2 coming in on Ch 44. No HD video playing on test channel 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Jpmarn wrote: »
    Mux 2 coming in on Ch 44.

Also Woodcock Hill.

It looks like that Mux 2 at wood cock Hill has been turned off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

The Cush wrote: »
    Mux 2 testing from Mullaghanish with testcards

Anymore activity from mullaghanish (or spur hill) recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭egal

Getting 7 test TV stations on ch 49 (Spur Hill), coming in as 11 to 17 - just different test cards. Channel name Test Service 1 etc. Also getting 9 radio stations on 211 - 219 channel name Seirbhis Thrialach.
    Longford active now - ch. 44.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

Program Number: 10/2100
    PCR on PID 8191 (0x1fff)
    PMT Version: 0
    Service name: SSU
    Logical channel number: 10

Stream Type: 0x0b ISO/IEC 13818-6 type B
    Elementary Stream PID 4608 (0x1200)

Program Number: 11/2101
    PCR on PID 8190 (0x1ffe)
    Service name: Test Service 1
    Logical channel number: 11

Stream Type: 0x1b H.264 Video
    Elementary Stream PID 2101 (0x0835)

Elementary Stream PID 1002 (0x03ea)

Stream Type: 0x03 MPEG-1 Audio
    Elementary Stream PID 2201 (0x0899)

Elementary Stream PID 2211 (0x08a3)

Stream Type: 0x06 Teletext/VBI
    Elementary Stream PID 2301 (0x08fd)

Program Number: 12/2102
    PCR on PID 8190 (0x1ffe)
    Service name: Test Service 2
    Logical channel number: 12

Stream Type: 0x1b H.264 Video
    Elementary Stream PID 2102 (0x0836)

Elementary Stream PID 1002 (0x03ea)

Elementary Stream PID 2202 (0x089a)

Elementary Stream PID 2212 (0x08a4)

Stream Type: 0x06 Teletext/VBI
    Elementary Stream PID 2302 (0x08fe)

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

I noted last night when Divis was being tested, CH Mux2 was at stronger signal than Mux1
    Last night Mux 1 = 45dbµv. Mux 2 = 50dbµv.
    Today Mux 1 = 44dbµv. Mux 2 = 36dbµ.
    Was the power increase part of Divis testing during the night?

Tonight Mux 1 = 50dbµv. Mux 2 = 35dbµ.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭egal

egal wrote: »
    Longford active now - ch. 44.
    Gone today.

• Advertisement

Looks like TG4 are going HD by Sept with the All-Ireland Ladies Gaelic Football Final on Sept 30th in HD.
    Mr Ó Gallchóir also highlighted a major technological innovation in TG4’s coverage of the 2012 All-Ireland Finals. “We are now poised to move up from Standard Definition to High Definition (HD) format,” he said. “It is a mark of the importance we place on Peil Gael na mBan that TG4 will inaugurate this innovation in our All-Ireland Finals coverage from Croke Park on September 30th. HD provides a much clearer, sharper picture on screen, with more natural colours and the option of surround sound. It really is a súil eile”.

http://www.tg4.ie/en/corporate/news-releases/2012/090712.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Rick_

So that's RTÉ TWO and TG 4 in HD, all we need is RTÉ ONE, TV 3 and 3E to hurry up and change too (I doubt 3E ever will but it would be nice!)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

e3 and news will be SD forever

If Mux 2 launches in September i suppose RTE2 HD will also make the move over. I wonder are there anymore channels lined up to go on it which would make it more financially viable? Interesting times ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If Mux 2 launches in September i suppose RTE2 HD will also make the move over. I wonder are there anymore channels lined up to go on it which would make it more financially viable? Interesting times ahead.

I think additional channels would actually make Saorview (or the company that runs it) less viable rather than more. After all the obvious candidates don't have any real need to hop on board as they are on freeview and freesat/FTV, so who would you get on board and at what cost to who?

mike65 wrote: »
    I think additional channels would actually make Saorview (or the company that runs it) less viable rather than more. After all the obvious candidates don't have any real need to hop on board as they are on freeview and freesat/FTV, so who would you get on board and at what cost to who?
    RTENL built the infrastructure at a cost of around 70million euros and at the moment mux2 is lying idle so the sooner mux2 is switched on and all slots are full the sooner RTENL can make back some of the money it used to build the network. The more channels that launch on the platform the cheaper it will be for each of them to be carried on Saorview. As for what channels i would like to see on it well i would like to see the Irish Film Channel, a music channel showcasing up and coming young Irish talent and an RTE channel showing archive programming.

Maybe Mux 2 will launch with the Oireachtas Channel when the Dáil return from their summer break on Sept 18th.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

mike65 wrote: »
    RTENL built the infrastructure at a cost of around 70million euros and at the moment mux2 is lying idle so the sooner mux2 is switched on and all slots are full the sooner RTENL can make back some of the money it used to build the network. The more channels that launch on the platform the cheaper it will be for each of them to be carried on Saorview. As for what channels i would like to see on it well i would like to see the Irish Film Channel, a music channel showcasing up and coming young Irish talent and an RTE channel showing archive programming.

RTÉ Gold similar to UK Gold but with a little doc slant like " Yesterday" would be of interest to quite a few people as is borne out by the popularity of Reeling in the Years. Could be a co - production using RTÉ & TV3 archive.
    A European news channel like France 24 or Euronews could be added, can't cost that much since RTÉ & TG4 already use them for night time fill in.
    The addition of some independent radio stations particularly the national ones would be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    e3 and news will be SD forever

Slightly off topic, I notice that 3E is now on Ch 5 & RTÉ News Now is on Ch 6 - from Kippure. They were the other way around previously.
    Have they switched on other transmitters too?

• Advertisement

Slightly off topic, I notice that 3E is now on Ch 5 & RTÉ News Now is on Ch 6 - from Kippure. They were the other way around previously.
    Have they switched on other transmitters too?

Yes, apparently the BAI ordered the change. Most likely TV3 bitched and they gave in.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement