Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MUX 2 launch date ?

Options

Comments

The Mux 2 launch hardly seems likely ATM. Think of those who depend on the 1st mux for 2HD from the smaller localised infill TX's eg Dún an Óir & Knockmoyle here in Kerry. AFAIK I don't think any testing has taken place for the 2nd mux on those sites. If the transfer goes ahead on the main TX's what will happen to 2HD for those sites. Maybe someone can supply some info on the 2nd mux status for the smaller lower powered sites.

I don't know if you meant Cnoc an Óir or not, but if so there was some brief testing on channel 44.

Closer to home (for me), they've barely even tested it on Three Rock, let alone the relays!

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

Karsini wrote: »
    I don't know if you meant Cnoc an Óir or not, but if so there was some brief testing on channel 44.

Closer to home (for me), they've barely even tested it on Three Rock, let alone the relays!

My point exactly. As you say very little nationwide testing has been done for Mux 2 on the relay sites. What will happen to 2HD then when it goes to mux 2 if the 2nd mux isn't up & running at those sites? Can those sites hold the status quo even if the transfer goes ahead at the main TX's or as the name suggests can they only relay whatever is on the main TX's? If the relays are dependant on the lagger sites for content, surely if the transfer goes ahead, large areas of the west & north will be left without 2HD:confused:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,549 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Maybe they are looking at forgetting about 3Rock as I can get Mux2 (at lower power) even though I would have thought that Kippure is out of reach from here. It would save a lot if they could.

Maybe they are looking at forgetting about 3Rock as I can get Mux2 (at lower power) even though I would have thought that Kippure is out of reach from here. It would save a lot if they could.
    They'd cheese off a lot of south Dublin if they did. Plenty of areas around there which have always had trouble with Kippure, back in the 405 days they even needed a relay at Donnybrook to supplement Kippure.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

As you say very little nationwide testing has been done for Mux 2 on the relay sites.

Monaghan had signal on channels 55 & 59 right from switch-on. Can't speak for the situation for the last few weeks as I've been without any dtt receiver for a while. How do you know there's been 'very little' testing & anyway, just how much is needed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,007 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Peter Rhea wrote: »
    Monaghan had signal on channels 55 & 59 right from switch-on. Can't speak for the situation for the last few weeks as I've been without any dtt receiver for a while. How do you know there's been 'very little' testing & anyway, just how much is needed?

Exactly! What testing is needed for mux2 besides the carrier itself, and a little testing to ensure they can actually transmit channels?
    Almost all the info they require must be available from the testing of mux1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

There has been no testing on Three Rock for Mux 2 that I am aware of.
    All Mux 2 broadcasts in Dublin region thus far have been from Kippure only.

It's worth bearing in mind that Kippure Mux 2 is operating on extremely low power at present so it's impossible to determine any sort of final coverage pattern for Kippure until they adjust power to operational level.
    Exactly! What testing is needed for mux2 besides the carrier itself, and a little testing to ensure they can actually transmit channels?
    Almost all the info they require must be available from the testing of mux1.
    Pretty much.

All encoding and generating of a broadcast transport stream is done in Donnybrook - it's fair to say they've tested Mux 1 fairly extensively, so Mux 2 is effectively the same albeit with different source content presented to the encoders. Any testing of the TS can be done offline at Donnybrook.

Coverage wise, they already know coverage patterns from Mux 1, coverage of Mux 2 will be almost identical.

Identical coverage patterns + previously tested Mux setup = minimal testing required :)

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Booms

Beg to differ on that one.
    There has definitely been a very short transmission (maybe 24 hours) of mux2 from Three Rock. In my location I don't get a sniff of Kippure, did receive mux2 from Three Rock during this period.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭_John C

They were testing all 4 MUXes a while back and this lasted a few weeks. Each MUX was carrying the same channels. I think I can remember people giving out here over the waste of electricity during this period!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,549 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

That is true, but that was a long time ago. They have had time to see how far they get with the DTT signal. It could be that they are testing Mux 2 just from Kippure to see if that is enough without 3Rock. They obviously have all the kit for four muxes from 3Rock because they have tested them all, but that kit might be scattered to the 51 sites. The DTT signal does appear to go round corners.

• Advertisement

Mux 2 on Ch. 55 back on air from Maghera.

11:15 gone again!

11:17 back again for good???

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭glimmerman123

Mux 2 on Ch. 55 back on air from Maghera.

11:15 gone again!

11:17 back again for good???
    I wonder are all the the works carried out on Maghera finished now that mux 2 is on? Usually mux 2 will be switched off around 4pm guess we will have to wait and see if RTE2 HD is going to make the move soon. Question answered mux 2 gone again.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,007 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Mux2 AND Mux1 have been losing signal and coming back on again over the last half hour or so ..... from Maghera.

Something is definitely happening, but it does not seem like it is being finalised to me. I hope I am wrong.

Question answered mux 2 gone again.

Just seen your post. All Future Services clear & strong ATM (18:00) ~ 100% on both strength & quality for both Mux 1 & 2, and just updated my channel listings for WMC on my laptop.
    As an added bonus ~ loking good for some new FTA channels via satellite pretty soon:
    Digital Spy thread on Astra 1N's progress.
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1506391&page=16
    Tracking site for Astra 1N.
    http://www.n2yo.com/?s=37775

Just seen your post. All Future Services clear & strong ATM (18:00) ~ 100% on both strength & quality for both Mux 1 & 2, and just updated my channel listings for WMC on my laptop.
    As an added bonus ~ loking good for some new FTA channels via satellite pretty soon:
    Digital Spy thread on Astra 1N's progress.
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1506391&page=16
    Tracking site for Astra 1N.
    http://www.n2yo.com/?s=37775
    Yes mux 2 coming in strong now from Maghera. I've been keeping an eye on Astra 1N's progress as well. Looks like it will be at 28 degrees east by around the 20th of October and we might see some activity on it by Halloween.

I have just seen a promo for RTE2 HD on the future service 2 channel on mux 2. It states that nature and US dramas will be broadcast in HD. So maybe the move to mux 2 for RTE 2 HD is not far away now.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

Mux 2 is off-air from CH, ch44
    No signal on any of the 7 future services and no radio services aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭jamescc

off from three rock also

Maghera Mux 2 ch: 55 off air

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

Maghera Mux 2 ch: 55 off air

Good, it's only a waste of electricity otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

never a mux signal from spur hill or mullaghanish whenever i do a scan !

are either of these transmitters doing Mux 2 transmissions lately ??

• Registered Users Posts: 15,523 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

pa990 wrote: »
    never a mux signal from spur hill or mullaghanish whenever i do a scan !

are either of these transmitters doing Mux 2 transmissions lately ??

Haven't seen Mux 2 from Mullaghanish for quiet a while now.

Mux 2 from Kippure seems to be off today. I usually get a weak signal here in Fairview but getting nothing today.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

Are all Mux 2 transmitters shut down?
    Testing completed and saving enegry til next October?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭warlikedave

Souriau wrote: »

There hasnt been a peep from mux 2 mount leinster for the last while anyways - kippure doesnt seem to be broadcasting but it was recently

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭jamescc

nothing from three rock at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭peking97

Souriau wrote: »

Nothing from Maghera Ch 55 either.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,503 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Mux2 back on air at Three RockKippure, six SD test cards and one HD.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

No DAB radios on mux2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭DigiDec

Its been on for the last couple of days.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement