Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MUX 2 launch date ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

no mux 2 on Spur hill or mullaganish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Bazzer2

Mux2 also reactivated from Kippure.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

Bazzer2 wrote: »
    Mux2 also reactivated from Kippure.
    Has Kippure mux 2 just been turned on or has it been active for a few days?

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭DigiDec

On for a few days now.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

DigiDec wrote: »
    On for a few days now.
    Still nothing from Mulla or Maghera yet. Wondering if the mast upgrade works at Maghera are still ongoing at this stage.

• Advertisement

Again I think it must be Kippure that is active rather than Three Rock, only getting a weak signal. Unless Three Rock is just on lower power?

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Booms

ninja900 wrote: »
    Mux2 back on air at Three Rock, six SD test cards and one HD.

I've checked twice today, and there's no sign of a second mux from Three Rock.

Are you sure you're not picking up Kippure?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭timesnap

Booms wrote: »

Can somebody confirm if it is three rock or kippure that broadcasts Mux1 on Ch 54 and Mux2 on 58?

thanks.

timesnap wrote: »
    Can somebody confirm if it is three rock or kippure that broadcasts Mux1 on Ch 54 and Mux2 on 58?

thanks.

Both are transmitting Mux 1 on 54. From what I can see, only Kippure is transmitting mux 2 on 58.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭timesnap

Karsini wrote: »
    Both are transmitting Mux 1 on 54. From what I can see, only Kippure is transmitting mux 2 on 58.

cool Karsini,so if you are correct,which i don't doubt you are then i finally know for sure that we get our signal from Kippure.
    in the past when RTE said three rock was going to be off air we often lost signal but that only applies to analouge now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭glimmerman123

Maghera still not fired up. Looks like more testing on some transmitters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭liamtech

Coming in load and clear from Three Rock... Slightly weaker signal than Mux1 for me, anyone else notice this?

Samsung LCD TV.. showing 82 for Mux2 and 91Mux1 -
    Philips 32pfl5604 - Showing Good signal for both but second Mux at reduced strength

Roll on extra channels - as Oireachtas TV actually exists, and is online and on UPC i would imagine that it may be the first to appear, whenever MUX2 is officially fired up

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

liamtech wrote: »
    Coming in load and clear from Three Rock... Slightly weaker signal than Mux1 for me, anyone else notice this?

The latter part of this thread seems to mainly be posts from people who've noticed; they reckon mux 2 is only coming from Kippure.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

Nothing from Cairn Hill on E44

• Registered Users Posts: 34,272 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Actually you're right. I can see both from where my aerial is.

I got mixed up with my left and right when realigning my satellite dish too :rolleyes:

Interestingly, the Saorview coverage checker recommends Kippure for me, not Three Rock (I'm in Clondalkin)

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Damomanye

not piucking up Mux2 from Woodcock Hill yet

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,434 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

When mux2 started up originally, I was getting a reduced signal compared to mux1. I wonder if mux2 was ever fired up from 3Rock and current tests are to check reception between Kippure and 3Rock. If I can get both signals with good signal strength, maybe they could shutdown 3Rock without losing coverage. I can get both with a simple aerial, so both are coming in with 'strong signal', so perhaps most of Dublin could receice Kippure with a gutter height aerial, and RTE NL could shut down 3Rock DTT.

Just a thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

South Dublin can't get Kippure at all.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,434 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

watty wrote: »

Well, if 3Rock are not broadcasting mux2, I am receiving Kippure. Otherwise, mux2 is going out a t a much reduced power from 3Rock.

Simples.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭liamtech

Well, if 3Rock are not broadcasting mux2, I am receiving Kippure. Otherwise, mux2 is going out a t a much reduced power from 3Rock.

Simples.
    watty wrote: »

I think you could be right... im in south dublin and i just tried an indoor aerial, pointing in the direction of three rock and my TV picked up Mux2..

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Booms

. . . I can get both with a simple aerial, so both are coming in with 'strong signal', so perhaps most of Dublin could receice Kippure with a gutter height aerial, and RTE NL could shut down 3Rock DTT.

Just a thought.

Well I for one certainly hope they don't. I've posted this before, and don't want to keep repeating it, but I'm about 2 miles NNE of Three Rock, line of sight and get a very good signal from it with a roof aerial. Except for the few hours that 3R did broadcast a 2nd mux recently I've picked up nothing from RTENL on channel 58. So I can reasonably surmise that I'm not picking up anything from Kippure.

There's a great big mountain in the way! :D

Well I for one certainly hope they don't. I've posted this before, and don't want to keep repeating it, but I'm about 2 miles NNE of Three Rock, line of sight and get a very good signal from it with a roof aerial. Except for the few hours that 3R did broadcast a 2nd mux recently I've picked up nothing from RTENL on channel 58. So I can reasonably surmise that I'm not picking up anything from Kippure.

There's a great big mountain in the way! :D

I am only surmising as to why they have turned on mux2 just from Kippure, if in fact that is what is going on. Just tests - just tests.

Otherwise, they might be preparing for OTV.

I see (or hear) that Today FM are on mux 2 from Kippure, its on Future Service no. 35 in radio services.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Ronnie Raygun

Finally something (kind of) interesting from this thread.

It looks like there are 2 hidden services on mux 2 ch 58 from Kippure, Saorview approved box picks them up but doesn't put them on the EPG but my non approved Philips TV can pick them up.

It looks like there are 2 hidden services on mux 2 ch 58 from Kippure, Saorview approved box picks them up but doesn't put them on the EPG but my non approved Philips TV can pick them up.
    Are they both radio services or TV and radio? MUX 2 from Maghera not fired up yet so i can't check.

Both radio

Both radio
    DigiDec thanks for checking. I wonder will the other radio service be for Easy fm the country and irish music online radio station? They plan to launch on Saorview this year so maybe mux 2 will be their home.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,272 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Just retuned and no sign of Mux2 from Kippure.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement

Its been switched off now, must be gone home for the weekend )

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement