Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC One [Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Just keep quiet, walk in and ask to buy the phone on PAYG and then throw away the new sim. Once you've done that, just say you have another line and have lost your microSIM.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭GEasy

baz8080 wrote: »
    It did for me when I did something similar with Meteor. I wanted to buy the meteor PAYG as an upgrade for my plan because it was a little cheaper than getting it sim-free. When the meteor assistant heard this she refused to sell it to me.

The solution was to send my wife in later and she bought it as a "gift for her father". So perhaps don't volunteer the information like I did and you might be grand.

So I'd just go in and get it as a gift? That sounds good!

You'll need a micro-sim too, if you don't already have one, or maybe you can call customer care and swap your number over to the payg sim you'll get withe phone.

Just keep quiet, walk in and ask to buy the phone on PAYG and then throw away the new sim.

Ya, that's what I plan on doing now. Thanks for the help! I had a suspicion they mightn't like it.

Well you had more of a suspicion than I did when I got mine :) . My jaw dropped when she told me she wouldn't sell one to me because of my nefarious plans.

• Advertisement

baz8080 wrote: »
    Well you had more of a suspicion than I did when I got mine :) . My jaw dropped when she told me she wouldn't sell one to me because of my nefarious plans.

It's a bit of a stupid policy really imo. Does the phone come with some sort of beats headphones?

Mine didn't, just a regular set of HTC ones and I can't comment on their quality as they are still in the box :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Vodafone are the only network bundling the beats headphones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

So any recommendations for the OneX guys?
    Im going to make the plunge with emobile today, moving from meteor and an iphone 4?

Cant wait to get back to android!

Any major flaws with the OneX other than the name?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Anyone know the cheapest place to get this sim free online? With 3 at the minute and due an upgrade soon but really don't want to have to sign up to another 18 month contract.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Dr Nic wrote: »
    Im going to make the plunge with emobile today, moving from meteor and an iphone 4?

Nope. It's fantastic! (And so is the name :P)
    s_carnage wrote: »
    Anyone know the cheapest place to get this sim free online? With 3 at the minute and due an upgrade soon but really don't want to have to sign up to another 18 month contract.
    For once, the cheapest place isn't online. In fact, it's not even pay as you go.

Get a 12 month contract on Emobile's lowest tariff and the total cost will work out at only €509 euro and you get 12 month's worth of service to boot. The phone's sim free too so it really doesn't make sense to buy it any other way.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,927 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Yeah it works out at 500.72 that way online on select 100!

You might up one on adverts too for a decent price if your lucky.

If you're with eircom or your dad is, then you can get it on emobile with unlimited calls, texts 15gig data, for 18mon at 34.50 per month with 89euro upfront.

Thats 700 bucks for a 550eur phone and 18mon of unlimited calls texts and data pretty much!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

According to their website, it's €64/month for those features.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭bandit197

Its a great phone, you wont be disappointed. Camera is very very good. It eats heavy games and apps for breakfast with that quad processor. Get yourself some Near Field Stickers (NFC), some here on ebay. Handy for car holders, office desk or wherever.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

bought a HTC One S on meteor Bill Pay after moving from PAYG, got the phone for 180euro so half the price of the One X. Have to say it's an excellent phone, feels and performs really good. Screen Quality is nowhere nearly as bad as the reviews are making it out to be. I tried the One X before I bought, it's a great phone but in no way is it worth double the price for a larger screen and slightly better screen quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭motownman

bandit197 wrote: »
    Its a great phone, you wont be disappointed. Camera is very very good. It eats heavy games and apps for breakfast with that quad processor. Get yourself some Near Field Stickers (NFC), some here on ebay. Handy for car holders, office desk or wherever.

Have my One X a month now and still learning!

I am aware of the NFC capability but have no idea how to exploit it. What are NFC stickers? How can they be used for car holders, office desk etc?

Appreciate any education you can give me. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

motownman wrote: »

I am aware of the NFC capability but have no idea how to exploit it. What are NFC stickers? How can they be used for car holders, office desk etc?

NFC stickers contain small chips you can use to set tasks to using an app like NFC Task Launcher.
    I have a few set up (home, car, work) to do different things when I swipe them like the work one turns off my wifi, puts phone on vibrate only, changes brightness and if I want can check in on fb/4square etc.

dahamsta wrote: »

You apply a voucher code at step 4 or 5 of the checkout and get half off your bill

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭motownman

NFC stickers contain small chips you can use to set tasks to using an app like NFC Task Launcher.
    I have a few set up (home, car, work) to do different things when I swipe them like the work one turns off my wifi, puts phone on vibrate only, changes brightness and if I want can check in on fb/4square etc.

Aahhhh!

Thanks for that. More fun with my One X!

• Advertisement

You apply a voucher code at step 4 or 5 of the checkout and get half off your bill

The price I mentioned is the Eircom customer price, there's a further discount? Nearly half off the. already discounted price?

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭bandit197

Aahhhh!

Thanks for that. More fun with my One X!

One on the car holder can be used to switch off wifi, enter car mode, turn on gps and start playing a random selection of music tracks. Whatever you want really.

Well that's slick !

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,927 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

The price I mentioned is the Eircom customer price, there's a further discount? Nearly half off the. already discounted price?

There's a thread over on Bargain alerts.
    It's 35 per month, but the one X is 189

Nice one, thanks.

Have anybody gotten the 1.29 OTA update ? seems to have finally been rolled out in the uk.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Saadyst

beno619 wrote: »
    Have anybody gotten the 1.29 OTA update ? seems to have finally been rolled out in the uk.

Checked manually after seeing your message and got the OTA now, completed successfully!

Cheers for letting us know

Saadyst wrote: »
    Checked manually after seeing your message and got the OTA now, completed successfully!

Cheers for letting us know

Ha no problem, guessing il be waiting a while for the vodafone branded update :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭TBi

There is a deal at the moment if you have an eircom account. Just like the previous person said. Might be worth asking how you get the deal rather than incorrectly saying you can't.

• Advertisement

Feel free to point out the incorrect part of my statement, smartarse. Go on, read it again.

Can anyone tell me if the eMobile HTC handsets come with stock HTC ROMs, or modified ROMs that'll result in delayed updates?

Advertisement