Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread Part II **Mod Warning** Read First Post/or Post 7389

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

That_Guy wrote: »
    That's a wrestling quote isn't it? *shudders*

Who wouldn't take dating advice from a man in pink leotards?

1996-Bret-Hart-Promo-bret-hitman-hart-15071485-501-627.jpg

His name is the Hit-man Hart for crying out loud!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭Jason Fly

Oh I know it can be annoying, and I feel bad doing it, but at the end of the day I think it's better to be blanked than receive rejection after rejection, no?

If there was a lot of work put into the message I'd mail back and say it nicely. I'd never be rude to anyone if I did mail a "thanks but no thanks" kinda thing, but I'd definitely have to say I wasn't interested, it's not fair to lead them on otherwise.

I think guys do get a hard time on these sites but honestly there is no easy way to let someone know you're not interested and tbh I don't have time to deal with some of the replys you get.

Just my 2c. :)

I suppose you're right, and it's better not to get any answer than getting a rude one, but I can tell you, it feels bad when the only answer you get is no answer.

That_Guy wrote: »
    That's not a slight on you though mate and you shouldn't treat it as something being wrong with you. It happened to me before but it could be another reason.

She could be inundated with sleazy messages from a load of guys and just had enough of it. Sometimes genuine messages may get lost between the absolute crap she might be getting and just didn't want to bother filtering it out anymore.

I used to understand that point of view, but just let it happen six times in less than two months and you'll start thinking that maybe there's something about you, maybe just bad luck xD
    Online dating is meant to be a casual thing and nobody should be pinning all of their hopes on it. There have been loads of success stories from posters here and that's great but it's not the be all and end all. Just take a step back and chill. It's annoying not getting messages when you send out a few (what you think are) good messages to people but no point in getting worked up over it.

Shrug it off and go again.

I have to say that actually I gave myself an online break. My selfesteem has enough suffering for a while

ladylost wrote: »
    Unfortunately we have all been blanked from time to time. It bothered me at the beginning but now I'd prefer to be blanked than led on and get a message like TG got. There is no excuse for that kind of rude behaviour. INternet dating isn't for everyone and if you are taking it too much to heart it may not be for you.

maybe that's the problem :)

Jason Fly wrote: »
    I used to understand that point of view, but just let it happen six times in less than two months and you'll start thinking that maybe there's something about you, maybe just bad luck xD

I've had 6 blanks this week! :pac:
    To be honest though, that beats 6 actual put downs. Nothing tears own my self-esteem more than messages beginning with "You're a nice guy, BUT..." Worst part is they are actually trying to be nice with that line. For me, it only compounds the disappointment TBH.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

TG, that girl is a witch.You are way more tolerant than me.If I got a message like that they would more than likely receive a very curt message explaining that I was bored and only messaging them out of pity :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Have someone take a look at your profile Jason Fly. It may need some tweaking. ;)

I know I shouldn't be counting, but I can't help it as I'm pedantic at heart, but between POF and OKC that is now 8 girls in a row that I have messaged who have gone on to view my profile and not mailed me back.

8 in a row.

This has never actually happened before... Well, not such a streak anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

Galvasean wrote: »
    I know I shouldn't be counting, but I can't help it as I'm pedantic at heart, but between POF and OKC that is now 8 girls in a row that I have messaged who have gone on to view my profile and not mailed me back.

8 in a row.

Maybe you should let some of us have a look at your profile, give you tips?

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭timmy880

Have sent out alot of mails on POF recently and not even been able to get profile views...!! Must be doing something wrong :(

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Galvasean wrote: »

8 in a row.

You're only annoying yourself looking at that 'Who's Viewed Me' page.

• Advertisement

Larianne wrote: »
    Have someone take a look at your profile Jason Fly. It may need some tweaking. ;)

now I've removed my profile but it didn't have many visits at all, four (or so) during the last week before removing

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I don't get why people are looking too into the "viewed me" feature so much. If you like the look of someone send them a message. Don't assume they will. There's no guarantee that they've seen your profile ya know.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,678 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Jason Fly wrote: »
    now I've removed my profile but it didn't have many visits at all, four (or so) during the last week before removing

My profile has been dying a death recently im lucky if i get 2 a week atm, just gotta stick it out as theres always new people coming to the site and i think the profiles on matches get switched around all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭dub5

VinLieger wrote: »
    My profile has been dying a death recently im lucky if i get 2 a week atm, just gotta stick it out as theres always new people coming to the site and i think the profiles on matches get switched around all the time

Hey

I had a look at a couple of peoples profiles on here and gave them good honest advice. It seems to of worked for those people, got more mail. So if you want me to have a look, pm me your link.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Herrick

I don't mind not receiving a reply to a message as I just figure if their not interested, their not interested. Not everyone is gonna fancy you.

But one thing I hate is getting a reply or two, just getting into a convo and they stop replying. I got back into ID the other day and got a good few mails, sadly not interested though. Sent out a few and got talking to a couple of girls. Exchanged a few messages, nothing but the usual opening chit chat. Then nothing.

They were online a good bit as well, I reckon I was just someone to pass a bit of time while they were waiting on someone else's reply or waiting for the "better deal" to appear.

Bit disappointing as one of them lived not far away, which was interesting considering I'm in the sticks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Herrick wrote: »
    Exchanged a few messages, nothing but the usual opening chit chat. Then nothing.

They were online a good bit as well.

Just to point out, someone showing up as being online doesn't necessarily mean they are. I used to leave the phone app logged in all the time, but it didn't mean I was physically viewing the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Daisies wrote: »
    TG, that girl is a witch.

I had a feeling she was judging by her profile picture.

Wicked_witch.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Herrick

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Just to point out, someone showing up as being online doesn't necessarily mean they are. I used to leave the phone app logged in all the time, but it didn't mean I was physically viewing the site.

True. But after a day or two of them logging in a few times (it shows up in my message inbox) I think I can forget the hope of it being an app :P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭dub5

Aquila wrote: »
    Oh i got my first flattering comment on pof!
    Ego rising...rising
    :D

Lucky you...... was it complementing your spelling ?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Armaghmagic

No lol someone thinks I'm hot lol

PM me your link, could have been me :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Armaghmagic

Unless you are masquerading as a 21 year old lady from Dublin:eek: :pac:

Yep, thats the one :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

.......awkard :P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I give up! Met one really nice girl, got chatting to her, spent the night until 3am chatting online until she gave me her mobile, then we exchanged FB's, and then she went a bit stand-off-ish, so I sent her a message after a day or so of her bring curt saying 'I know when I'm being blown off, so the best of luck with everything, and hopefully you'll find someone you like'. Got back a message 6 hours later 'are you mad, I was busy!' which I thought meant I could chat to her again, but nope. Blanked.

Spent another day chatting to another girl I might be interested in, then blanked.

So many f*cking blanks at the moment I feel like I've won a Blankety Blank Cheque Book and Pen!

chequeembed2_380x28_934130a.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5 FC1988

dub5 wrote: »
    Hey

I had a look at a couple of peoples profiles on here and gave them good honest advice. It seems to of worked for those people, got more mail. So if you want me to have a look, pm me your link.

If you wouldn't mind, could you find the time to take a quick look at mine??

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭newbee22

Owen wrote: »
    I give up!
    Don't give up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

Owen wrote: »
    I give up! Met one really nice girl, got chatting to her, spent the night until 3am chatting online until she gave me her mobile, then we exchanged FB's, and then she went a bit stand-off-ish, so I sent her a message after a day or so of her bring curt saying 'I know when I'm being blown off, so the best of luck with everything, and hopefully you'll find someone you like'. Got back a message 6 hours later 'are you mad, I was busy!' which I thought meant I could chat to her again, but nope. Blanked.

Spent another day chatting to another girl I might be interested in, then blanked.

So many f*cking blanks at the moment I feel like I've won a Blankety Blank Cheque Book and Pen!

chequeembed2_380x28_934130a.jpg

it can be really frustrating but these girls you're talking about are obviously just not worth it. Its happened to me as well, in fact id say it has happened to everyone on online dating!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement