Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed camera mega-thread ***Read first post before posting***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,544 ✭✭✭blackwhite

ironclaw wrote: »
    To answer the question above, if two cars are in the photo the ticket is null and void. My guess is you could have been slightly over the limit, it is 30km/h on the quays in places. Bear in the mind, the BMW would have to be in the photo, not after you passed as since you were the first car to pass, it was your speed not his.

Limit is 50 where it happened.

opti0nal wrote: »
    Given that he admits breaking the law and was exceeding the speed limit by a considerable margin, there's some scope for improvement of the technology if he's not been caught?

Speedo showed 60, which in reality is probably around 55-56. Hardly a "considerable margin." Allowing that I slowed to under the limit nearly immediately, and was well under the limit when it flashed I'm just wondering whether it was flashing for me, or for someone else.
    No problem if I receive a ticket, concentration lapsed and I was marginally over when I first came into view

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

blackwhite wrote: »
    Speedo showed 60, which in reality is probably around 55-56. Hardly a "considerable margin." Allowing that I slowed to under the limit nearly immediately, and was well under the limit when it flashed I'm just wondering whether it was flashing for me, or for someone else.
    No problem if I receive a ticket, concentration lapsed and I was marginally over when I first came into view

Speedo showing 60, allowing for a 10% over read would be 54. Given most speedo's I've found overhead by 5% in the lower range, you were probably closer to 57km/h. Going on what I've heard and seen, the tolerance is about 8km/h over the posted limit. So you were probably just over.

To be fair, given that speedo's over read, if you are snapped your obviously over as your speedo would be well above the posted limit. Not saying I agree with the vans, but just throwing in some balance to the argument.

If there was nothing between you and the van, and you were the closest car, it was more than likely flashing you unfortunately.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,020 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Speedo showing 60, allowing for a 10% over read would be 54. Given most speedo's I've found overhead by 5% in the lower range, you were probably closer to 57km/h.

To be fair, given that speedo's over read, ...
    I've been monitoring my speed using Speedview on my phone and seemingly my car is pretty much spot on. Don't assume that all speedos overread!
    Going on what I've heard and seen, the tolerance is about 8km/h over the posted limit. So you were probably just over.
    I've come across people done for as little as 2km in a 50km zone, I wouldn't assume that every garda will provide that discretion.

I've come across people done for as little as 2km in a 50km zone, I wouldn't assume that every garda will provide that discretion.

Folks, can we please draw a line between:

Garda Laser Traps
    Garda Speed Vans
    GoSafe Speed Vans

They are all completely and utterly different.

The 8km/h over the posted limit seems to be the tolerance for GoSafe vans.

People saying they were done for 2km/h over by a Garda at the side of the road is circumstantial at best as the Garda does not have to provide a receipt of your speed. A van does. Human nature would be create a sob story 'sure I was 2km/h over' when it fact they were 5 or more which is completely fair in my eyes. To the credit of some Garda laser traps, they seem fairly decent when it comes to enforcement. Obviously they are exceptions to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭opti0nal

Speedo showing 60, allowing
    blackwhite wrote:
    Coming over the last bridge before Heuston along the South Quays. Was doing 60ish, spotted the van and slowed to between 40-50.

Earlier he said '60ish' and even though he was approaching a pedestrian crossing, a major junction, a Luas cross-over, a taxi zone and a notorious accident black spot, knowing full-well he was breaking the law, he only slowed down when he saw the possibility of being caught.

Unfortunately, due to the inadequacy of the technology being used, he may not get a ticket for this wrong-doing.

We need better detection methods.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Earlier he said '60ish' and even though he was approaching a pedestrian crossing, a major junction, a Luas cross-over, a taxi zone and a notorious accident black spot, knowing full-well he was breaking the law, he only slowed down when he saw the possibility of being caught.

Unfortunately, due to the inadequacy of the technology being used, he may not get a ticket for this wrong-doing.

We need better detection methods.

Pedestrian crossing: 450m away.
    Major Junction: 450m away.
    Luas cross over: 550m away.
    Taxi zone: What's a taxi zone? If you mean the taxi rank, it's on the other side of the road.

Stopping distance from 60km/h?
    20m and that's likely to be generous.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

..... Going on what I've heard and seen, the tolerance is about 8km/h over the posted limit. ......

The 8km/h over the posted limit seems to be the tolerance for GoSafe vans.

this has been reduced to 5km/h since before xmas

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

pa990 wrote: »

Says who?

Tragedy wrote:
    You've not taken account of reaction time or if the road was wet.

The taxi zone is around Heuston, where all kinds of manouvres happen. That's one of the reasons why the limit is 50kph approaching it.

Anyway, we're getting away from the basic fact that he was deliberately breaking the law and only stopped doing so when he thought he might be caught.

The other flaw I see in that speed trap, apart from not being able to detect multiple infractions, or distant vehicles, is that it was too obvious. If he had not seen it, then he might have been caught and dealt with and, loaded with some penalty points, might moderate his driving style.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Stop soapboxing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

dahamsta wrote: »
    Says who?

i just said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Tragedy wrote: »

Braking distance at 60 kph, with good tyres and brakes, is 45 meters minimum on dry road (excl. reaction time)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

pa990 wrote: »

[from someone in the know]

The GoSafe Vans seem to have dropped their tolerance from 8km (9km over and you get a ticket)
    to 4km (5km over and a ticket is issued)

This seems to be the absolute lowest they can go without raising questions in courtas to its accuracey, as the device is only accurate to +/-3km/h or 1.5% whichever is greater.

Braking distance at 60 kph, with good tyres and brakes, is 45 meters minimum on dry road (excl. reaction time)

RSA says 32.4m including reaction time. And that would be an average.

Source: http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie/rules-for-driving/speed-limits/speed-limits_stopping-distances-cars.html
    [from someone in the know]

The GoSafe Vans seem to have dropped their tolerance from 8km (9km over and you get a ticket)
    to 4km (5km over and a ticket is issued)

This seems to be the absolute lowest they can go without raising questions in courtas to its accuracey, as the device is only accurate to +/-3km/h or 1.5% whichever is greater.

Good info and seems solid coming from yourself and pa990.

RSA says 32.4m including reaction time. And that would be an average.

Source: http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie/rules-for-driving/speed-limits/speed-limits_stopping-distances-cars.html

Good info and seems solid coming from yourself and pa990.

That info is secondhand to me..but it is from a reliable source ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

You've not taken account of reaction time or if the road was wet.
    Double the distance for wet(again being generous) and add 1s for reaction time = still under 60m, and that is with fairly generous calculations. I also don't recall him saying it was wet so I'm guessing you're reaching.
    The taxi zone is around Heuston, where all kinds of manouvres happen. That's one of the reasons why the limit is 50kph approaching it.
    I still don't know what a taxi zone. Is it some kind of legal or legislative definition? Or do you mean a taxi rank, in which case as I stated it was on the other side of the road?
    Anyway, we're getting away from the basic fact that he was deliberately breaking the law and only stopped doing so when he thought he might be caught.
    Yes, but we're getting back to you exaggerating incredibly in order to justify being on a high horse. You were trying to imply he was driving dangerously and carelessly because he was travelling at 60km/h over 400m away from the potential dangers you posted.

I pointed out that his stopping distance was 20m(not taking into account reaction time).

Therefore your argument about his speeding being dangerous was utter nonsense.

A 2012 Ford Focus stops from 100km/h in 36 meters.
    My car stops from 80km/h-0 in 28meters.

I think your figures are rather off.
    :)

Tragedy wrote: »
    Yes, but we're getting back to you exaggerating incredibly in order to justify being on a high horse.
    The detection operation may have been further from where I imagined, we don't know for sure, how far.

But let's not lose sight of the core issue: he was deliberately ignoring the speed limit and sought support here.

You have been warned.

The detection operation may have been further from where I imagined, we don't know for sure, how far.

But let's not lose sight of the core issue: he was deliberately ignoring the speed limit and sought support here.

By that logic, if I break the speed limit, and no one see's it I should march up to my local station and asked to be arrested? We're talking 10km/h over a posted limit, not mass genocide. If he was doing 80km/h I'd point the finger with you, but 60km/h on the Quays isn't exactly dangerous drifting speeds (In my opinion, its breaking the limit but at least remaining sensible), considering the heavy goods vehicles on the quays which at 50km/h will do far more damage given their momentum alone.

By that logic, if I break the speed limit, and no one see's it I should march up to my local station and asked to be arrested? We're talking 10km/h over a posted limit, not mass genocide. If he was doing 80km/h I'd point the finger with you, but 60km/h on the Quays isn't exactly dangerous drifting speeds (In my opinion, its breaking the limit but at least remaining sensible), considering the heavy goods vehicles on the quays which at 50km/h will do far more damage given their momentum alone.

Its opti0nal to ignore the trolls...but I suggest you do

....see what I did there :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 moosh112

Quick question, I drove by Gardai van on the Quays and got a flash from the rear of the van, I had a car in front of me and to the left of me, all three of us were exceeding the speed limit, particularly the car to the left of me (in the bus lane) do we all get done for speeding or will I just be done for speeding, because I saw the flash.

what is the range of the gardai speed vans, is it done individually or collectively??

moosh112 wrote: »
    Quick question, I drove by Gardai van on the Quays and got a flash from the rear of the van, I had a car in front of me and to the left of me, all three of us were exceeding the speed limit, particularly the car to the left of me (in the bus lane) do we all get done for speeding or will I just be done for speeding, because I saw the flash.

what is the range of the gardai speed vans, is it done individually or collectively??

more then 1 car in the pic it may be null and void

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭bbuzz

Anyone know if the Garda speed camera vans are being fitted with IR flashes or do they still have to flash you?

They all use IR flashes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭user1842

They all use IR flashes.

Not sure if that is true (hope it is). I was in the car with my brother and his fiancé yesterday evening (she was driving). We were heading back from Mayo and at the Liffy Valley section of the N4 we noticed a bright flash and of course then we noticed the white unmarked van at the side of the road (around 9pm), she was doing about 85-90 in the 80 zone.

Funny thing is that she panicked and did not slow down for a second and there was another unmarked speed van 200 meters up the same road and she got flashed again (big bright flash).

Even worse just over the fly over there was a tripod gatso camera operated by a Garda checking speed too (dont think she was done by that :)).

So that's three speed traps on the same road in the same direction all within 500 meters.

Kinda glad I did not drive yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

if its the new white vans then they use IR. I dont think there are any of the old vans in service these days. the gatso(car tripod) guard was in the 60kph zone thats a bit sneaky for those that thought they had escaped the other 2 vans at the 80kph zone.

user1842 wrote: »

So that's three speed traps on the same road in the same direction all within 500 meters.

Bank holiday, nice stretch of road, 80kph zone. Its just too easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭user1842

cisk wrote: »
    Bank holiday, nice stretch of road, 80kph zone. Its just too easy.

I would say they made a fortune yesterday evening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Proxy

user1842 wrote: »
    Not sure if that is true (hope it is). I was in the car with my brother and his fiancé yesterday evening (she was driving). We were heading back from Mayo and at the Liffy Valley section of the N4 we noticed a bright flash and of course then we noticed the white unmarked van at the side of the road (around 9pm), she was doing about 85-90 in the 80 zone.

Funny thing is that she panicked and did not slow down for a second and there was another unmarked speed van 200 meters up the same road and she got flashed again (big bright flash).

Even worse just over the fly over there was a tripod gatso camera operated by a Garda checking speed too (dont think she was done by that :)).

I saw one white van at 11pm, at Liffey Valley right before you get to the M50 overpass/Palmerstown. No other vans around (and I was looking out for them while sticking exactly to the limit :)

Not sure what the story is with being flashed multiple times.

Advertisement