Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I can haz general discussion? 2!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

CaoimH_in wrote: »
    Even lamer procrastination: FYP!

Okay, that's a point of contention, but I wasn't entirely wrong, was I?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭CaoimH_in

From OxfordDictionaries.com:
    Colon:

For use between two main clauses in cases where the second clause explains or follows from the first:
    That is the secret of my extraordinary life: always do the unexpected.
    It wasn’t easy: to begin with, I had to find the right house.

(2) Introducing a quote. (3) Introducing a list.

Semi-colon:

The main task of the semicolon is to mark a break that is stronger than a comma but not as final as a full stop. It’s used between two main clauses that balance each other and are too closely linked to be made into separate sentences, as in these two examples:

The road runs through a beautiful wooded valley; the railway line follows it.
    An art director searched North Africa; I went to the Canary Islands.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

DB21 wrote: »
    It was red :pac:
    then all is good my son ;) *smokes pipe
    rcaz wrote: »
    Okay, that's a point of contention, but I wasn't entirely wrong, was I?
    just semi wrong ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Instead of writing essays, I've spent the evening reading Dáil debates from 1919. At least it's somewhat relevant I suppose :p

It's a list of one thing, **** off Kevin :pac:

It's a list of one thing, **** off Kevin :pac:

Actually, it's the first point which is the one most pertinent. S'ok though dude, I can't do physics nor any advanced grammar. So, next time I post just give out to me over my incorrect use of a modal verb or my use of a split infinitive. I won't know, I'll become really paranoid, and after many hours of research, I'll die from gang-rape.

<3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

Actually, it's the first point which is the one most pertinent. S'ok though dude, I can't do physics nor any advanced grammar. So, next time I post just give out to me over my incorrect use of a modal verb or my use of a split infinitive. I won't know, I'll become really paranoid, and after many hours of research, I'll die from gang-rape.

<3
    But there's no real reason not to split infinitives! Also, you remind me of this, which I read yesterday.

I know, split infinitives are in the Oxford Modern Grammar but sometimes they can be confusing. I was making the point that beyond the simple stuff I'm no good; so he would totally be able to fool me by just throwing grammar terms to a page in a confident manner. But ya, I offset the boredom of the post with the addition of gang-rape: hopefully that spices up matters and keeps the reading reader reading.

Another good grammar page:
    http://www.theonion.com/articles/rules-grammar-change,922/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

This has always been my go-to guide for grammar.

"Commas are like socks - best used in pairs."

Great stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I actually do have no friends and nowhere to stay... Genuinely...

I already sent them an email along those lines. Should I call aswell? I can't go in because I'm working

Only after seeing this now. If they haven't emailed you back by lunchtime on Monday then I'd call them or go into the office, whichever is easiest.

They'll be sound about it. They should be anyway. They may even know of some people who are looking for another person to make up the numbers in a house. That was the main reason I never bothered trying for a house off campus. We always had either too many or too few.

If you're honest about they'll sort you out. I've heard lads using some of the most ridiculous excuses of all time and they fell for them. So you should be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Oscars Well.

DB21 wrote: »
    She's a boardsie, so she'll kill me if I post pics :pac:

And TBH, neither of us is sure how we went from friends to a relationship in less than a month :pac:

Go DB! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

SMH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Planemo

have 2 exams in Iontas foyer.....where is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

It's literally the foyer of Iontas. When you walk in the main door? Yep, right there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Norrdeth

In the foyer of the Iontas building maybe?

• Advertisement

Its literally the foyer of Iontas? :mad: they just set up tables in there? for fúcks sake, that could be the worst choice of an exam venue on campus possible. (Aula bloody Maxima would be better)

Its literally the foyer of Iontas? :mad: they just set up tables in there? for fúcks sake, that could be the worst choice of an exam venue on campus possible. (Aula bloody Maxima would be better)
    they black out the windows too, and stop the staff walking through that entrance. It's not ideal, but like, students need to do exams somewhere!

How so Joe wrote: »
    they black out the windows too, and stop the staff walking through that entrance. It's not ideal, but like, students need to do exams somewhere!
    It'll still be roasting though
    Blargh!

It'll still be roasting though
    Blargh!

Yeah, but sure Loftus is always roasting as well.

It's not the worst. I had an exam there last year and it was grand. The exam itself was a disaster and half the class failed but that's a different story.

• Advertisement

It's not the worst. I had an exam there last year and it was grand. The exam itself was a disaster and half the class failed but that's a different story.

I know that feel :pac:

I know that feel :pac:

Exact same. Place is cursed, I tells ya! :pac:

Just realised all my exams are in different venues. Last chance to say goodbye to each one... How I'll miss them... NOT.

mike_myers_wayne_campbell.jpg

Great meme.

Does anyone have an old o2 phone that they'd part with in exchange for a pittance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Norrdeth

Is it actually a meme if there's no over-layed text?
    :pac:

My last ever week of lectures in NUIM. Fúck, I cannot believe how fast the years flew in.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Baile an Locha

Anyone selling Beachball tickets? My laziness got the better of me and I didn't get a chance to get tickets! Any help would be appreciated!

Are they sold out already? That was quick.

Norrdeth wrote: »
    Is it actually a meme if there's no over-layed text?
    :pac:

I don't think Wayne's a meme 'cause he isn't viral. A meme is "an idea, behavior or style that spreads from person to person within a culture", and I reckon Wayne has potential :pac:

You're thinking of an image macro ;)

Great meme.

Does anyone have an old o2 phone that they'd part with in exchange for a pittance?

pm'd

• Advertisement

Has anyone noticed the rain?

Naw haven't at all.

Had the most epic evening in the SU bar, and got the lovliest card! I wuv everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭TO_ARTHUR!

Anyone selling Beachball tickets? My laziness got the better of me and I didn't get a chance to get tickets! Any help would be appreciated!

Hey, I'm selling two of them if that's any help to you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Jonah42

Must have rang about 20 landlords today and got the same reply from each one, "the house is gone":(

A Childish Gambino (aka Donald Glover from Community) gig has been announced for the Academy in August. Personally I think the tickets are way too expensive at around €35 but I'm sure a few of ye on here will be interested.

http://www.ticketmaster.ie/Childish-Gambino-tickets/artist/1503424

I have 2 lectures left as a second year (hopefully). I'm bloody scared.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Bonkers_xOx

Jonah42 wrote: »
    Must have rang about 20 landlords today and got the same reply from each one, "the house is gone":(

I know, first time house-hunting for me... it's more stressful than the fact the exams are just over a week away!

A Childish Gambino (aka Donald Glover from Community) has been announced for the Academy in August. Personally I think the tickets are way too expensive at around €35 but I'm sure a few of ye on here will be interested.

I. Am. There.

Thanks for posting this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

I know, first time house-hunting for me... it's more stressful than the fact the exams are just over a week away!
    ah then the inevitable replies of "we dont accept students"...despite being listed on student housing lists

• Advertisement

A Childish Gambino (aka Donald Glover from Community) gig has been announced for the Academy in August. Personally I think the tickets are way too expensive at around €35 but I'm sure a few of ye on here will be interested.

Class! Oh my god I think I'll die being in the same room as him though :p

Also, banquo is awesome and useful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

whats the deal with some selfish ignorant useless feckers that always reserve seats for themselves mates etc in the study hall in the arts block.

I've go in there at 8 0 clock and the laptop section is already filled, and 95% no one is there sitting down.

I cant understand this selfish behavior.

*cue Banquo removing all these laptops*

I get there at 7.30am and it's only about a third full. It's worth the half hour not in bed to be sure you'll get a seat. My laptop is banjaxed and doesn't hold a charge any longer so I have to have it plugged in to use it. Towards exam week I'll need to get in there before 7am to get a seat if it's anything like christmas :(

I always move their laptops against the wall and if they come back I'll move. Last time I was there for over an hour and the person never showed up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭J.D.R

Not sure if it was just a rumour, but is it true there is a policy coming into force that if you leave your property unattended for longer than a set amount of time (I think 40 mins, could be wrong) that it will be taken away and brought to lost and found?

If they're gone for more than half an hour, I'd just take their laptop and put it into lost and found. People are conscious of every minute while studying, especially final year students. No place for that behaviour tbh.

• Advertisement

Nmj6s.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

whats the deal with some selfish ignorant useless feckers that always reserve seats for themselves mates etc in the study hall in the arts block.

I've go in there at 8 0 clock and the laptop section is already filled, and 95% no one is there sitting down.

I cant understand this selfish behavior.

Nearly as bad as those who think it is perfectly acceptable to charge their phone in the library and take up another socket with their laptop.

Does anyone know someone who has had their laptop stolen from the library or are those signs an attempt to stop people leaving their laptops plugged in while they go off an have lunch, etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭JellyBeans92

Long time no post!

I was just wondering if anyone knows what the craic is with the gym during the exams? I know the sports halls are used as exam centres but is the gym itself still open?

Long time no post!

I was just wondering if anyone knows what the craic is with the gym during the exams? I know the sports halls are used as exam centres but is the gym itself still open?

Yep!

RIP MCA... Turns out he could, he would, and he did stop.

• Advertisement
Advertisement