Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I can haz general discussion? 2!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭LCgonnakillme

Tell you what the toilets need music or radio in them.. nothing more awkward then two people taking dumps with an inch thick piece of wood separating them in silence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

Turns out silver spray paint is pretty hard to get off one's skin. And clothes. =/

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Alt_Grrr

Someone has started a petition which is lobbying the university to build a new Aula Maxima, you can find the petition Here

but they link to a video showing the campus development plan (its not on youtube, so I can't embed it, but you can watch it here), I had not seen this before, it em... seems rather...ambitious, but lets give them the benefit of the doubt.

I think a new performance type theatre would be good, I've been told that back in the day they used to screen films in the Aula and that the SU shop used to be in there.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Dammit, waiting list for campus. I have no idea what I'm going to do about living arrangements next year now. Was kind of counting on campus! :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Same :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Dammit, waiting list for campus. I have no idea what I'm going to do about living arrangements next year now. Was kind of counting on campus! :-(

If you really want it then wait till just before you go back. Call into the accom office and say you've nowhere to stay and no friends. There should be a place on campus for you to stay. People drop out and don't take it the whole time.

It's not entirely guaranteed to work but a good few of my friends have tried it before.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

If you really want it then wait till just before you go back. Call into the accom office and say you've nowhere to stay and no friends. There should be a place on campus for you to stay. People drop out and don't take it the whole time.

It's not entirely guaranteed to work but a good few of my friends have tried it before.

I actually do have no friends and nowhere to stay... Genuinely...

I already sent them an email along those lines. Should I call aswell? I can't go in because I'm working

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

I'm happier right now than I have been in years :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Oscars Well.

DB21 wrote: »
    I'm happier right now than I have been in years :D:D:D

I take it the person you gave that rose to appreciated it then? ;):p

I know who that is. :D

• Advertisement

She went roughly the same colour as the rose when I gave it to her :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

She went roughly the same colour as the rose when I gave it to her :pac:
    D'AWWWW :D:D:D

*hope it wasnt an orange rose:pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

DB21, that's genuinely one of the nicest things I've heard in a while! SPILL THE BEANS, HOW DID IT HAPPEN?!

And more importantly.....pics or gtfo. :pac:

jpcarlow wrote: »
    D'AWWWW :D:D:D

*hope it wasnt an orange rose:pac::pac::pac::pac:

It was red :pac:

DB21, that's genuinely one of the nicest things I've heard in a while! SPILL THE BEANS, HOW DID IT HAPPEN?!

And more importantly.....pics or gtfo. :pac:

She's a boardsie, so she'll kill me if I post pics :pac:

And TBH, neither of us is sure how we went from friends to a relationship in less than a month :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Aww Darren I'm so happy for you two!! How cute! I assume I'm right in my thinking of who it is :p

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭BuroniKiisu

G'wan the DB21!

Final Year Project supervisor selection complete. Now playing the waiting game. #BackToFinalYear

Ack, really don't want to go to class, but attendance is taken and I've already missed a few >.<

I'm sad today, did not want to come back up to stupid Maynooth at all this morning but I've so much work to do! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Lamest procrastination ever; installing linux.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭CaoimH_in

rcaz wrote: »
    Lamest procrastination ever: installing linux.

Even lamer procrastination: FYP!

• Advertisement

CaoimH_in wrote: »
    Even lamer procrastination: FYP!

Okay, that's a point of contention, but I wasn't entirely wrong, was I?

From OxfordDictionaries.com:
    Colon:

For use between two main clauses in cases where the second clause explains or follows from the first:
    That is the secret of my extraordinary life: always do the unexpected.
    It wasn’t easy: to begin with, I had to find the right house.

(2) Introducing a quote. (3) Introducing a list.

Semi-colon:

The main task of the semicolon is to mark a break that is stronger than a comma but not as final as a full stop. It’s used between two main clauses that balance each other and are too closely linked to be made into separate sentences, as in these two examples:

The road runs through a beautiful wooded valley; the railway line follows it.
    An art director searched North Africa; I went to the Canary Islands.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

It was red :pac:
    then all is good my son ;) *smokes pipe
    Okay, that's a point of contention, but I wasn't entirely wrong, was I?
    just semi wrong ;)

Instead of writing essays, I've spent the evening reading Dáil debates from 1919. At least it's somewhat relevant I suppose :p

It's a list of one thing, **** off Kevin :pac:

It's a list of one thing, **** off Kevin :pac:

Actually, it's the first point which is the one most pertinent. S'ok though dude, I can't do physics nor any advanced grammar. So, next time I post just give out to me over my incorrect use of a modal verb or my use of a split infinitive. I won't know, I'll become really paranoid, and after many hours of research, I'll die from gang-rape.

<3

CaoimH_in wrote: »
    Actually, it's the first point which is the one most pertinent. S'ok though dude, I can't do physics nor any advanced grammar. So, next time I post just give out to me over my incorrect use of a modal verb or my use of a split infinitive. I won't know, I'll become really paranoid, and after many hours of research, I'll die from gang-rape.

<3
    But there's no real reason not to split infinitives! Also, you remind me of this, which I read yesterday.

I know, split infinitives are in the Oxford Modern Grammar but sometimes they can be confusing. I was making the point that beyond the simple stuff I'm no good; so he would totally be able to fool me by just throwing grammar terms to a page in a confident manner. But ya, I offset the boredom of the post with the addition of gang-rape: hopefully that spices up matters and keeps the reading reader reading.

Another good grammar page:
    http://www.theonion.com/articles/rules-grammar-change,922/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

This has always been my go-to guide for grammar.

"Commas are like socks - best used in pairs."

Great stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I actually do have no friends and nowhere to stay... Genuinely...

I already sent them an email along those lines. Should I call aswell? I can't go in because I'm working

Only after seeing this now. If they haven't emailed you back by lunchtime on Monday then I'd call them or go into the office, whichever is easiest.

They'll be sound about it. They should be anyway. They may even know of some people who are looking for another person to make up the numbers in a house. That was the main reason I never bothered trying for a house off campus. We always had either too many or too few.

If you're honest about they'll sort you out. I've heard lads using some of the most ridiculous excuses of all time and they fell for them. So you should be grand.

Advertisement