Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S II

Options

Comments

Ghandee wrote: »
    SGS2 might be a fantastic phone but Samsung are a sh1te company. That's 2 mobile operators who have managed to release ICS via KIES and yet Samsung haven't released it for SIM Free.
    Don't bother reminding me about ODIN cos i can't be arsed with trying to backup and restore all my contacts and apps etc and then trying to sync again with Facebook and LinkedIn.

Your contacts and apps are synched with your google account.
    Sign in to gmail, and your contacts will appear again, sign in to google play, any previously downloaded apps should also reappear.

If you've been using Android for any length of time, you really should know that by now.
    Hardly much point giving out if you've not educated yourself on how things work, is there?

Why are you making an assumption that I use gmail?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Why are you making an assumption that I use gmail?

Cause about 95% of Android users do since Google Services integration is one of its best points with wireless mail,contact,calendar,RSS,photos,music,docs and books/movies(in us and UK -_-) syncing. Plus a google account is needed for the market

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

Cossax wrote: »
    Had some issues with Resurrection Remix 1.2 so stayed with 1.1 until today. 1.3 seems to have fixed them - as long as the battery holds up I'll be very happy!

Unimpressed with the battery, going back to 1.1 methinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 User name eh?

Running Resurrection Remix ICS PRO Edition v1.0 for Galaxy S2 myself. I was bricking it about rooting my phone in case I, well, in case I bricked it. But I followed the instructions from http://galaxys2root.com which was pretty straight forward. I had no problems actually rooting or reflashing ROM or making/restoring my app backups using Titanium. I love the new ROM. I only did it last night so I don't know how harsh it is on the battery but apparently it's pretty good. It seems lightening fast and at last I have the full-fat ICS. Some ROMs apparently have problems with GPS or camera or modems etc but I had no problems at all. GPS seems MUCH faster in getting my location if anything.

So, if you are nervous but are still curious, give it a go. It's pretty painless. I'd have no concerns about refreshing with another ROM in the future

Hi Irish Grover,
    Looking at this now. Which method did you use to flash. There are two listed, one involves the unsecured kernel and odin, the second involved the running of the runme.bat file?
    Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

ICS finally available to me via Kies

• Advertisement

Dempsey wrote: »
    ICS finally available to me via Kies
    Are you Vodafone or Sim Free?

Samsung UK have confirmed that SIM Free users in UK and Ireland will have to wait until all networks have tested ICS before they release it to us.

Samsung UK have confirmed that SIM Free users in UK and Ireland will have to wait until all networks have tested ICS before they release it to us.

Are you Vodafone or Sim Free?

Sim Free AFAIK

• Registered Users Posts: 14,830 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

I'm sim free and there's no update.

• Advertisement

Connected to KIES today and it said upgrade was available. Am SIM Free and phone is now on Android Version 4.0.3 and Firmware version xxlps
    At last!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Congratulations, you now have something which looks the same as what you had before and wastes just as much battery!

Install CM9 and notice huge difference.

Connected to KIES today and it said upgrade was available. Am SIM Free and phone is now on Android Version 4.0.3 and Firmware version xxlps

Can confirm sim free 4.0 is now on kies

My favourite thing about the update

music1full.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

derekeire wrote: »
    So how much better than gingerbread is it? Is it worth upgrading to it straight away?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

You will not notice any difference really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

Only recently got one but using ICS I really like the new multi-tasker and notifications seem easier handled now.

Can anyone recommend a decent SD card (16-32GB) to get?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Only recently got one but using ICS I really like the new multi-tasker and notifications seem easier handled now.

Can anyone recommend a decent SD card (16-32GB) to get?

I got this one a while ago. Absolutely perfect
    http://www.mymemory.co.uk/Micro-SDHC/Lexar/Lexar-32GB-Micro-SD-Card-%28SDHC%29---Class-10-%2B-USB-Card-Reader

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

Patsy fyre wrote: »
    So how much better than gingerbread is it? Is it worth upgrading to it straight away?

Slightly fancier swipe to unlock.

Face unlock.

option to Encrypt SD card & Phone contents.

Graphical task manager - with swipe to close apps

In the drag-down notifications you can swipe notifications off screen (like the task manager) to remove them.

the last thing I can think of is probably the one I find most "useful"...
    A Data Usage monitor - that will tell you how much mobile data & how much wifi data you've download - plus what apps is doing the downloading. And you can set limits & warnings for the same.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Just had a message on my handset that there is an update to download without plugging into Kies. Will have to run a backup later then I'll download that and see what is new.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭smilerf

derekeire wrote: »
    stick with gingerbread Ics is laggy and some apps crash more

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

now that the S III is on the horizon https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056565885&page=2 are there likely to be any good deals on the S II ?

or who is best value for now for data and light voice usage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Not sure about he best value for data and voice usage but if you looking for a Sim free SGS2 ....

http://www.amazon.de/gp/offer-listing/B004Q3QSWQ/ref=sr_1_1_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1334773496&sr=8-1&condition=new

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

Tried the Siyah kernel for dual-booting, it's pretty awesome. Resurrection Remix 1.1 is my stable, battery friendly main rom and I can try out other future versions of it and other roms without having to backup, flash, try it out, decide it wasn't for me, wipe, reflash/restore.

Sky Go doesnt work with ICS yet.

Dempsey wrote: »
    Sky Go doesnt work with ICS yet.

Another reason why I wont be updating anytime soon.

Another reason why I wont be updating anytime soon.
    Won't work on my network at all (tesco)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Syllabus

is there any way to set your calls lists to just one thing. as in, viewing ONLY dialled calls or ONLY missed calls instaed of having to select it each time?

ShaneU wrote: »
    Won't work on my network at all (tesco)

ouch..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

Syllabus wrote: »
    is there any way to set your calls lists to just one thing. as in, viewing ONLY dialled calls or ONLY missed calls instaed of having to select it each time?
    From the call log, if I press the options button I get a menu that includes a "View by" option. Select this and you can select a type of call to restrict the view to.
    Though, I am no longer on a samsung stock rom but "Pure iCS 7.2" ... so I'm not sure if this is something specific to it or something generic and common to all ICS variants.

Advertisement