Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2012*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭NoHarm1994

What does everyone think the best back up course for Medicine is? Optimistic I know, but I don't know what to throw down on the CAO?? At the moment I'm thinking Science in Trinity but I have heard Physiotherapy is a better option. Any thoughts? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

It depends on your own preferences.

What do you mean by "backup course"? Is it an alternative course that you'll stick with or a course to use to try and get in to graduate entry medicine?

It depends on your own preferences.

What do you mean by "backup course"? Is it an alternative course that you'll stick with or a course to use to try and get in to graduate entry medicine?

Well of course, I was more looking down the lines of which course would look the best if you aimed to do Graduate entry further down the line?(Again presuming the HPAT doesn't go to plan) I have heard that Law is a good option as well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Patri

NoHarm1994 wrote: »
    Well of course, I was more looking down the lines of which course would look the best if you aimed to do Graduate entry further down the line?(Again presuming the HPAT doesn't go to plan) I have heard that Law is a good option as well?

Why would law be a good option for graduate entry medicine!?! Any 2:1/1:1 degree will let you sit the gamsat. If you're going to go to college pick a course you would enjoy studying, because as I said you'll need a 2:1 or 1:1 in your degree to sit the gamsat and even be looked at for medicine in colleges in Britain! A science based course would be the most obvious option especially if you haven't done chemistry/physics/biology before it's fundamental.

Don't jump into a course for the sake of it, that's where wasted money and drop-outs come into play! And in 3/4 years time you might not even want to study medicine. Pick a course you think you'll enjoy, contrary to school beliefs, you will have to work hard in your course at some stage. :P

IMO, the most useful would be Pharmacy. For one, some of the material is common across the two courses and most importantly the expert knowledge of pharmacotherapy you'll have will be of great benefit to your career.

• Advertisement

IMO, the most useful would be Pharmacy. For one, some of the material is common across the two courses and most importantly the expert knowledge of pharmacotherapy you'll have will be of great benefit to your career.

Don't do Chemistry..:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

What about human health and disease in Trinity? I think you can be exempt from some modules of graduate medicine if you've done it, as they're covered in both courses.

finality wrote: »
    What about human health and disease in Trinity? I think you can be exempt from some modules of graduate medicine if you've done it, as they're covered in both courses.

I was thinking about it, but my Career Guidance Councillor said it is too specific for a back up? Now they are her words not mine so I don't know like. I have been to two lectures on that course and Iv read the perspectus, yet I still dont know what it is about :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

NoHarm1994 wrote: »
    I was thinking about it, but my Career Guidance Councillor said it is too specific for a back up?
    That's nonsense, the course was pretty much created by the demand of people who missed out on medicine afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

Physiotherapy is a great option.
    1st Year Physio shares Anatomy and Physiology with medicine which are the 2 core modules for both courses

• Advertisement

jumpguy wrote: »
    That's nonsense, the course was pretty much created by the demand of people who missed out on medicine afaik.

Yeah I was considering doing it until I found out that most of the people on the course would be going for graduate medicine after it. I think science would be a more valuable option as a degree to actually progress with, if I decide against medicine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

An advantage in doing a Law degree is it is only 3 years.
    So you can get started on your Grad Med course a year earlier.

But, a law degree would be of little help for your medical career outside of this point.

Do people regard courses such as
    Optometry
    Audiology
    Physiotherapy
    Radiology
    Speech and Language Therapy, as suitable back up courses???

One can always pursue a career in these areas if one decided that they didn't want to do/can't afford GradMed afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭hollingr

Anita Blow wrote: »
    Physiotherapy is a great option.
    1st Year Physio shares Anatomy and Physiology with medicine which are the 2 core modules for both courses

Exactly what i was going to say. The most cross over is between these two, so if you were thinking of repeating the hpat but got a good enough l.c it would be the best option for you if medicine is the only thing you really want to do.

I think it's possible to do an accelerated (extra summer terms) 2year law degree in the University of Buckingham.
    I think that it is possible to do 2 year science degrees also at this UK University

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Oween

hollingr wrote: »
    Exactly what i was going to say. The most cross over is between these two, so if you were thinking of repeating the hpat but got a good enough l.c it would be the best option for you if medicine is the only thing you really want to do.

No, the best option in this case would be Biomedical Health & Life Science in UCD or Biomedical Science in NUIG or UCC, depending on your preference. It's pretty much the Medicine Course except more based on research rather than on becoming a Doctor...

yeah that's right, there is a thread about what it is like in TCD. Seems it is mostly aspiring med students who end up dropping out:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055841593

But for those looking for a clinical aspect aswell who aren't looking to go into research, physiotherapy is the only real one which can compare. Placement runs basically in the same manner as Med- 6 week placements during the summer and then rotations through each of the specialities during 3rd and 4th year

there is accelerated medicine for physios in some countries, they do a lot of anatomy stuff.

not sure how it works in ireland though or if they do that here..

I'm in it at the moment. Can't see it happening here though because we do a different chemistry course instead of biochem

There are rumours of the HPAT results being leaked again today (Just like last year). Anyone noticed anything new on their CAO today?

• Advertisement

not me.. just last years results up on my cao. where did you hear that? wouldn't mind gettin the results 2 weeks early!

Nothing on my cao anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭Medicine333

Where did you hear that, Partyatmygaff?

Is it possible to do the HPAT exam during 5th year???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Nope, only 6th year. Read the HPAT site for all the info you need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭Medicine333

No, and I would be slow to start buying HPAT booklets or paying for ******** this early as well. At least not until it is confirmed that the HPAT will be going ahead next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭ivanh

When do we have those medical clearance things and what do they entail? :confused:

If you get accepted into any Health Science course you're sent an orientation pack with forms to fill out proving your immunity to certain diseases. You might have to get some vaccinations if you aren't immune but that's done over the course of first year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Also if you're talking about Garda clearance, you just bring the forms that are sent out into your local Garda station to stamp to verify that you don't have a criminal record.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Shifty

What is the Garda Vetting Procedure for personnel who are subject to Garda Vetting?

The procedure is as follows:-

Personnel who are subject to Garda Vetting will receive a Garda Vetting Application Form from the registered organisation where they are seeking a position.

The applicant completes the application form and returns it to the Organisation. He or she must sign the form, thereby providing authorisation for the Garda Vetting process.

An authorised liaison person in the registered organisation sends the form on to the Garda Central Vetting Unit.

Garda Vetting checks on the applicant are carried out following receipt of the application form at the Garda Central Vetting Unit.

As a result of these checks a Garda Vetting disclosure is issued directly to the authorised liaison person in the registered organisation.

An individual vetting subject may obtain a copy of their Garda vetting disclosure from the authorised liaison person in the registered organisation to whom it was issued.

Garda Vetting will only be conducted, and relevant disclosure will only be issued to an authorised liaison person within a registered organisation for Garda Vetting, predicated on the written authorisation of an individual vetting subject to do so in a Garda Vetting application form.

http://www.garda.ie/FAQ/Default.aspx?FAQCategory=36#FAQ2733

Advertisement