Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2012*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭Medicine333

spasmaster wrote: »
    because they didnt know the date changed

Your posts are kind of unclear...:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Brenn2345

Yeah, didn't get it finished either, bad timing.... luck on the day i suppose ! will be fairly cheesed off on monday even though i know i didn't do all to well! FML. theres always pharmacy:)

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭hollingr

Answering every single question "properly" can give you a fall sense of security. I think it's almost worse because you're likely to lull yourself into thinking you've aced it. You can get through everything, think you've done really well, but in actual fact you've gone and fallen into every trap they set along the way and you end up with a very mediocre score.

I think it's one of the hardest exams I've ever come across to speculate on results. Wish this week would hurry on up and put us out of our misery!

estimating i got mid 170''s mark ;-( only section truly confident on was 2, which is undoubtedly the easiest...so that bears no consolation... i bet its the biggest anticlimax ever, the chase is always better than the kill

Brenn2345 wrote: »
    estimating i got mid 170''s mark ;-( only section truly confident on was 2, which is undoubtedly the easiest...so that bears no consolation... i bet its the biggest anticlimax ever, the chase is always better than the kill

Ah, brings me back to my Merchant of Venice days, 'All things that are, are with more spirit chased than enjoyed.':)

Section 2 is not the easiest, however. People think it is, but it is difficult and one that isn't always easy to pick up points on.

• Advertisement

Perhaps you're right 'Medicine333' , is the hpat hand correct or just correct by computer? when i was in college any of those mcqs where fed into a computer!
    anyone shed some light??

Perhaps you're right 'Medicine333' , is the hpat hand correct or just correct by computer? when i was in college any of those mcqs where fed into a computer!
    anyone shed some light??

By computer. Oh, and don't take what I said about section 2 fully to heart-it is a very difficult section, but some people do excel at it. However, every person I spoke to going into the exam said it was their favourite section, but coming out they had a different opinion!

Don't worry about it though, as Hollingr said, it is one of the most difficult exams to gauge whether you have done well or not!

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭skinny malinky

hollingr wrote: »
    Wish this week would hurry on up and put us out of our misery!

The results might only be the beginning of my misery!

Yeah it is, the hpat is just just ridiculous in a sense though. Like yeah ok, it sort of gauges how you perform under pressure and although that is like a key characteristic for a future in medicine . it isn't actually the only one thats important, and thats why a lot of apt people are being faced with rejection every year. i think england have the right idea, bring you in sit you down, have lil chat, read your personal statement ask you a few questions, the actually account the person and not just the results. as opposed to C A ****ty O and its computer selection, its awfully unfair, and lets not forget al the poor unfortunates that will be greeted with '*" in august ....bastard asterisk

hollingr wrote: »
    Answering every single question "properly" can give you a fall sense of security. I think it's almost worse because you're likely to lull yourself into thinking you've aced it. You can get through everything, think you've done really well, but in actual fact you've gone and fallen into every trap they set along the way and you end up with a very mediocre score.

I think it's one of the hardest exams I've ever come across to speculate on results.

I agree. Honestly feel I could have scored anything between 140 and 190.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭NoHarm1994

Bricking it that I am going to see a big dirty 100 out of 300.

are the results out at 12 am onwards monday?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Yeah it is, the hpat is just just ridiculous in a sense though. Like yeah ok, it sort of gauges how you perform under pressure and although that is like a key characteristic for a future in medicine . it isn't actually the only one thats important, and thats why a lot of apt people are being faced with rejection every year. i think england have the right idea, bring you in sit you down, have lil chat, read your personal statement ask you a few questions, the actually account the person and not just the results. as opposed to C A ****ty O and its computer selection, its awfully unfair, and lets not forget al the poor unfortunates that will be greeted with '*" in august ....bastard asterisk
    The UK is even worse. You have no idea how difficult it is to get in.

The academic requirements at the A level are much the same as the LC (Except Chemistry is mandatory almost everywhere).
    There's the UKCAT/BMAT which is more or less the same as the HPAT.
    There's the interviews which are nerve-wracking.
    There's the personal statement and your references and evidence of voluntary work and/or experience in working in healthcare

The academic requirements at the A level are much the same as the LC (Except Chemistry is mandatory almost everywhere).
    There's the personal statement and your references and evidence of voluntary work and/or experience in working in healthcare

but in fairness , its strategic. it filters out all the gob****es that are doing it for the stigma of being a doctor. cus they think it looks çool'when they watch greys anatomy or whatever.

its actually a bit depressing that you can do medicine now without having did a science subject... at least over there students need to be like minded and show they have the commitment .. students who choose geography history art etc or bio chem or physics , who's more apt?? and they base it on a aray of things, i dunno about you but i'd be fairly pissed if i found out i lost out on my place in medicine to someone who never did a science subject! just because a computer 'randomly' selected them, as least over there you loose out, you know everyone else was better than you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

its actually a bit depressing that you can do medicine now without having did a science subject...

You can't do medicine anywhere without having done at least one science subject.

It's more complicated, but much more superior to our system, in fairness!

I never said it was a bad system. Just more difficult.

I never said it was a bad system. Just more difficult.

You said it is 'even worse.'

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Paralysis

It's more complicated, but much more superior to our system, in fairness!

I'd probably agree, in the UK you tick a number of boxes: score fairly well in the UKCAT, get 3As at A-level, do some work experience and be a normal person at interview, and you've pretty much got in, at least somewhere.

Here if you can't do one godawful test you're screwed! :(

In terms of its difficulty in getting in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭hollingr

You can't do medicine anywhere without having done at least one science subject.

Well, there is graduate entry (GAMSATS).. Only some basic chemistry required! Engineers tend to do quite well in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭spasmaster

do you think theyd let you skip first year of med if you already did a year in college?

do you think theyd let you skip first year of med if you already did a year in college?

Do you mean just do a 4 year course, or skip foundation?

You may be able to skip premed depending on what course you did and your LC subjects. You would never be able to skip first med.

i think only if you have previously did a vet or dentistry degree , you can 'accelerate' to second year, they are the rules in tcd anyway

In terms of difficulty, yes.
    i think only if you have previously did a vet or dentistry degree , you can 'accelerate' to second year, they are the rules in tcd anyway
    Veterinary doesn't get accelerated entry as far as i'm aware.

If you did dentistry, are registered with the dental council and have published research you get accelerated entry in to 3rd year Medicine.

I think the same goes for Medicine --> Dentistry except you get in to 2nd year Dentistry instead.

Anyone have veterinary after medicine on their CAO?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 aisling95

I don't know, at least with applying to the UK your whole life doesn't seem to depend on one short test. I actually found the process quite straight forward and got an offer without too much hassle. The entry requirements for Irish students are probably lower as well; I need 5As and one B with an A in Biology and Chemistry, which could in theory be as low as 525 points! I suppose it's just a matter of preference, but I think that having a range of different aspects being considered definitely takes the pressure off each one individually!

aisling95 wrote: »
    I don't know, at least with applying to the UK your whole life doesn't seem to depend on one short test. I actually found the process quite straight forward and got an offer without too much hassle. The entry requirements for Irish students are probably lower as well; I need 5As and one B with an A in Biology and Chemistry, which could in theory be as low as 525 points! I suppose it's just a matter of preference, but I think that having a range of different aspects being considered definitely takes the pressure off each one individually!

But the fees etc. are much higher in England right? That's the only thing holding me back applying to there next year. That and the fact that I lived in London before and the cost of living is ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Paralysis

But the fees etc. are much higher in England right? That's the only thing holding me back applying to there next year. That and the fact that I lived in London before and the cost of living is ridiculous.

Yeah, the fees are £9,000/yr. But my insurance is Newcastle, and the cost of living there is much lower than London, and less than Dublin too; generally in the UK the further north you go, the less the cost of living.

Advertisement