Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Most incorrect thing you were taught?

• 12-04-2012 12:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭

I was just remembering back to years ago, and the terrible information we were taught in school, and the gob****es that believed the nonsense.

In National school someone asked about Imperial measurements. The response? A pint is exactly 500ml. A mile is half a kilometer, and a furlong was the length of a horse. Dafuq.

In more recent years we have been taught that there is no such thing as an atheist, and the abuse in the Church is less than it was made out to be.

So tell me AH'ers, did ye have any similar experiences?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

*standard After Hours post about the Catholic Church or the existence of God which gets loads of thanks*

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

That "'I before 'e' except after 'c'" is a rule.

There are more words that break it than there are that conform to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I was teached not taught :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

That sex is bad for your soul.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭The Internet Explorer

Samantha Brick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭marozz

I remember being told in primary school that " If you don't eat salt you will die". After that I piled the salt on all my meals - It scared the hell out of me. The teacher failed to mention that most foods already have salt in them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭EmatoelDiablo

That "'I before 'e' except after 'c'" is a rule.

There are more words that break it than there are that conform to it.

I remember using 'conscience' and 'neighbor' to dispute this.

YOU DON'T KNOW EVERYTHING! *gives detention*
    Bitch anyway...

When I was a young child, my parents told me that my belly button was the screw that held my arse in place. They lied and, boy, did it hurt finding out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Catch a ni*ger by the toe.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,015 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

The Junior Cert is the most important thing you will ever do.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Back in the eighties my teachers told me the Japs were going to take over the world, economy wise

They were wrong, it's the Chinese

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 755 ✭✭✭sea_monkey

1+1+1+1+1+1*0=0

i remember my first maths class in secondary school when the teacher taught us BEMDAS

i just couldnt understand why i wasnt taught it that way first???

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭SdoowSirhc

Last year I had a subsitute geography teacher try to tell me that Brazil is a colony of the USA :confused: dafuq??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

I had a National School teacher who couldn't add up fractions properly.

She insisted 2 1/2 + 2 1/2 was 4 1/2.

And you still hear people claiming the Irish Education System is the best in the World :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭stop

County Derry - no such thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

That god existed:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭carfiosaoorl

I don't recall being taught anything that was incorrect but my daughters teacher was sick recently and they had a substitute teacher. They were doing angles in maths and for homework they were given a series of shapes and they had to say how many angles the shape had. The first shape was a circle and he told them that a circle has 4 angles :eek: I refused to leave her write that answer in her book and told her to tell him he was wrong. She drew a cross in the circle and showed me where he found the angles. Some people clearly should stay in college longer.

SdoowSirhc wrote: »
    Last year I had a subsitute geography teacher try to tell me that Brazil is a colony of the USA :confused: dafuq??

We had an arrested development moment: Portugal and Morocco = South America.... FFS

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

*standard After Hours post about the Catholic Church or the existence of God which gets loads of thanks*

:cool:

I think you defused that smug bomb. Kudos.

Edit: Looks like I was wrong (post 17)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Not so much taught, but implied. The idea that adults/authority know better.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

That the Pope was inflammable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

I think you defused that smug bomb. Kudos.

Edit: Looks like I was wrong (post 17)

:o:oThe cat stepped on my keyboard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

PE I suppose never really use much of that, all the rest of the stuff was useful in someways and others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Joined writing

Seriously, what's the point?
    Having to buy special copy books to practice the letters and then spending so much time trying to get it correct

The minute I went to secondary school I ditched it all.
    Just type in print, like the letters in this post [edit, arial font actually, not this times new roman]
    Easier and clearer

stop wrote: »
    County Derry - no such thing.

Ah, the LondonDerry conundrum...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Skid wrote: »
    I had a National School teacher who couldn't add up fractions properly.

She insisted 2 1/2 + 2 1/2 was 4 1/2.

And you still hear people claiming the Irish Education System is the best in the World :rolleyes:
    Never once in my life heard anybody ever claim that:) and theres a reason for that...

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭x_Ellie_x

When I was in primary school, my teacher used to tell us how lucky we were because our religion class was taught to us by the parish priest. Our parish priest was FR. TONY WALSH!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,075 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Had a history teacher who insisted Ireland was part of the commonwealth,yes she was a Rangers fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

My teacher gave a classmate an absolute bo11ocking for writing "Xmas", claiming that it was "taking the Christ out of Christmas". Ignorant bitch...
    the "X" comes from the Greek letter Chi, which is the first letter of the Greek word Χριστός, translated as "Christ".[2] There is a common misconception that the word Xmas is a secular attempt to remove the religious tradition from Christmas[3] by taking the "Christ" out of "Christmas".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xmas

• Advertisement

wilkie2006 wrote: »
    My teacher gave a classmate an absolute bo11ocking for writing "Xmas", claiming that it was "taking the Christ out of Christmas". Ignorant bitch...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xmas

Thanks for that. Never knew! Handy information :D

Advertisement