Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most incorrect thing you were taught?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,360 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

The sky doesn't touch the horizon. Otherwise, if I keep walking I'd meet the sky. I've never bumped into the sky.

Are you suggesting that if you keep walking you will meet the horizon?
    You do know it's imaginary, not an actual place.

no, you are right. bonn was the capital of west germany and united germany until the parliament building was renovated in berlin a few years after reunification.

Just to add, Bonn was only capital of West Germany, even though the parliament of Germany remained there untill the late 90's.
    Berlin has been the capital of Germany since 1990.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

That Pluto was a planet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭dazzlemoo

In primary school, I'd done some homework (can't remember what it was), and after handing it in to the teacher to be marked, she'd crossed out the word "gorgeous" and wrote "georgeous".
    When I asked what I'd done, she said "gorgeous" was the wrong spelling.
    I told her it wasn't, but she told me not to give back cheek and that she was right.
    She wasnt....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

That Pluto was a Planet!
    That pluto was a planet!
    That Pluto was a planet

It's echoey too. Mickey Mouse won't be one bit happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

I had a friend who lived in Kentucky for a while in primary school and she was taught that the South won the US Civil War - or as her teacher called it - The War of Northern Aggression.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

Had a substitute teacher in fourth class who insisted that Ireland's smallest bird was the wren and not the goldcrest. I was a total bird nerd as a child and was disgusted at this blatant display of ignorance. It still annoys me now :mad: goldcrests are feckin TINY!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Joined writing

Seriously, what's the point?
    Having to buy special copy books to practice the letters and then spending so much time trying to get it correct

The minute I went to secondary school I ditched it all.
    Just type in print, like the letters in this post [edit, arial font actually, not this times new roman]
    Easier and clearer
    Cursive writing improves speed and also ,would you believe, spelling. It is also very good for children with dyslexia as they learn the word as a whole pattern.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭JonSnuuu

Blood is blue, until it touches oxygen.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭_LilyRose_

johnt91 wrote: »
    Blood is blue, until it touches oxygen.

Isn't this true??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

That Pluto was a planet

It's not? :eek:

Away to wikipedia for me, this is the first I've heard of this

Thanks AH for curing my ignorance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

On mentioning that other planets had moons I was told they didn't. Only earth had a moon. that's why it's called "THE" moon.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭clashburke

that if you dont eat your crusts you turn into a girl!! had the whole boys primary school ****ten it!!:o:o

That there is 4 pages of meaning in a 7 line poem:mad::eek:

i hated school lies

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

That Pluto has a temperature of +675C.
    That it takes 3 people to make a baby; a man, a woman, and god.
    That scavengers are dead animals, and carrion are animals that eat scavengers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

That "'I before 'e' except after 'c'" is a rule.

There are more words that break it than there are that conform to it.

Is that you Stephen Fry?

Sinks drain the other way round in the southern hemisphere to us.
    No idea if it was clockwise or anti-clockwise, all I know is it's supposed to be the opposite

Then I was told was a myth

Me is confused :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

I had a teacher who over the course of a number of years continuously corrected the spelling of my name in Irish and marked me down because there was no 'double n' in Irish... for some reason words like clann etc were exempt from the double n rule but I think bringing that up the first time he corrected me just made him continue to correct it tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭JonSnuuu

_LilyRose_ wrote: »
    Isn't this true??

Nope, total bull! The blood is darker when it's deoxygenated but it's still red!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

prinz wrote: »
    I had a teacher who over the course of a number of years continuously corrected the spelling of my name in Irish and marked me down because there was no 'double n' in Irish... for some reason words like clann etc were exempt from the double n rule but I think bringing that up the first time he corrected me just made him continue to correct it tbh.
    That teacher couldn't have been more wrong: Grainne, Donnachadh.. I'm sure there are others.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭mathie

finality wrote: »
    A substitute teacher was trying to teach my biology class about food chains in fifth year, she was telling us that in general animals increase in size along the food chain, fair enough, she was doing well.
    She then attempted to illustrate this with an example: "so, a fox would eat a rabbit, and something bigger would eat a fox, like a cow".
    Cows eat foxes?? She genuinely wasn't even joking. :pac:

I've seen a cow eat a fox on p0rnhub

kylith wrote: »
    That teacher couldn't have been more wrong: Grainne, Donnachadh.. I'm sure there are others.

He was a tosser anyway, I think he made a mistake the first time (it was because of the double n, or it was 'nnr' or something. He'd always cross one n out) and because I threw the other examples back at him he just had an axe to grind. Every time we'd have to sign homework we'd hand up and he'd put a big red x through my name, and every week I'd sign it the same way. Went on for 3 years. Those were the days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

She also told us that Google Earth was live, so that if you went outside your house and waved into the sky, people could see you on Google Earth.
    You had Google Earth is school? **** I'm old.

Well now, if there are ten sheep in a field and one breaks out then there will be nine sheep left in the field

Must have be a city slicker, she knows fook all about sheep

The correct answer is zero sheep left in the field

Can you explain please, I seem to be missing something.

Technically 10 - 1 =9

I messed it up and explained it badly

If one sheep breaks out it's guaranteed the rest will follow

FAIL on my part :o

It's the same thing as ten birds on a wall and you shoot one bird how many are left standing on the wall?
    Answer is zero

Kolido wrote: »
    Can you explain please, I seem to be missing something. Technically 10 - 1 =9

City slicker :pac: Where one sheep gets out, 9 will follow quickly behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

I guess it's like if there's ten crows on a wire and you shoot one you'll be left with no crows on the wire

*edit mikemac beat me to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

That Mercury was the hottest planet in the Solar System. That Mars was our nearest neighbour and the shuttle would visit it one day. That there was no way to send anything further than Mars because we'd lose control of it. I don't mind about Pluto being a planet, it was a planet then.

Being a huge Space enthusiast these were criminal for me. So much so that my teacher told my parents that I had an obsession with Venus.

Perhaps the most significant one though from a personal point of view was that animals had no souls. I think this was pretty much the catalyst that set me off on my long winding journey free of religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

You had Google Earth is school? **** I'm old.

Should I ever have kids, I'm definitely telling them google earth is live :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Steven81

My sister in law had twins that are now 6, she told one of them that she had her in the hospital and that after wards she had gone out for a fag and found the other. The ttwins would both tell you the same story.

My wife told her younger brother when she was younger that they found him by a cabbage plant and thats how he was found, coming home crying when he was 10 after telling his friends was probably not the coolest thing to do at that age

I messed it up and explained it badly

If one sheep breaks out it's guaranteed the rest will follow

FAIL on my part :o

It's the same thing as ten birds on a wall and you shoot one bird how many are left standing on the wall?
    Answer is zero

Nah I understood perfectly I was just taking you up on a technicallity (you spefically said one broke out, not ten), I'm a bad ass like that :pac:

BTW if those birds are blonde, I would imagine there would be nine left :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Haelium

I was told that birds weren't animals, the context was that we were to do a project, but it couldn't be on an animal. Most people did birds.
    I was also told that chicken wasn't meat and that all meat came from cows.
    There was also the religious stuff about miracles that they taught us as fact.
    Finally, I was told that WW1 involved Hitler.

Primary school teachers generally seem to be a bit thick, but what bothered me more than the fact that the teacher was a bit ignorant was that my classmates taught that teachers were always right.

Advertisement