Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Megathread-Ask your questions here-See post 1 on how to search thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Due to popular demand, it's coming back...

Forgot to say to you earlier KC. My Garmin froze on the way to our run this morning. I was stressing out trying to get it to reset then I said hey, WTF, I'm running with Mr Garmin he'll know how to sort it :D

I managed to sort it myself in then end, but it's reassuring to know you are circling the city on your trusty steed ready to help damsels (or young(ish) dudes) in distress

• Registered Users Posts: 19,504 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Haha. Now if only I could figure out how to use mine properly (though I reckon I'd have been killed by those bloody 2 minute cycles). Probably an act of God that the watch chose to skip most of them. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Haha. Now if only I could figure out how to use mine properly (though I reckon I'd have been killed by those bloody 2 minute cycles). Probably an act of God that the watch chose to skip most of them. :D

Ha, I actually forgot about that. Note to all garmin posters, next time KC tells you to RTFM remind him of his planned session today (see log :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

Hi
    just noticed that one of the two metal 'prongs' on the charger (that fit into the back of my garmin 405) is stuck in the 'in' position.

in other words it wont charge because there is no connection.

when i press the 'prong' that isnt stuck it moves in and out like on a spring.

i have no idea how the other prong got stuck in teh in position. i tried needles etc to try and free it out but no luck.

this happen to anyone or any help appreciated.
    thks

The teeth are spring-loaded, so your spring has probably failed. You could try Amazon.co.uk for a replacement (around €16) or advertise here, to see if anyone has a spare. It's the same charger for other Forerunner watches (310, 910, etc).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,672 ✭✭✭✭dahat

205 V 110...

About to "order" my birthday present from the missus and want to get a GPS watch.

First i have no interest in HR training.I just want to record my runs via GPS and get pace/time updates for each mile/km i run,live if you get me.
    Also the 205 has interval workouts if i am correct?
    Each model will allow me to review my runs when i get home will it?
    I have one shot at getting a GPS watch so want to get it right first time....

So my question is for a 5km/10km,future 1/2 marathon runner(:eek:) which model is my best bet?both seem priced reasonable on amazon........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

dahat wrote: »
    205 V 110...

About to "order" my birthday present from the missus and want to get a GPS watch.

First i have no interest in HR training.I just want to record my runs via GPS and get pace/time updates for each mile/km i run,live if you get me.
    Also the 205 has interval workouts if i am correct?
    Each model will allow me to review my runs when i get home will it?
    I have one shot at getting a GPS watch so want to get it right first time....

So my question is for a 5km/10km,future 1/2 marathon runner(:eek:) which model is my best bet?both seem priced reasonable on amazon........

The 205 has many, many more features than the 110. The only advantages of the 110 are that it is small enough to wear as a normal watch and it is very simple to use if you dont want any fancy features.

The 205 has pace alerts, interval training, and lots of other stuff that you might want to use in the next few years, as your training progresses.

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

In GC i used to be able to explore activities and courses but cant now.On the left hand side of the window where the list of stuff used to come up,all thats there now is blank but with the loading icon spinning.Also,the map doesnt show any activities or courses either. Any ideas???

In GC i used to be able to explore activities and courses but cant now.On the left hand side of the window where the list of stuff used to come up,all thats there now is blank but with the loading icon spinning.Also,the map doesnt show any activities or courses either. Any ideas???
    You mean your own activities, or other people's activities?
    Try a different browser maybe?
    Clear your cache?

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

Thank you very much sir.I only had your reply read,when it dawned on me:o. I used always use Firefox for GC but for some strange reason forgot and started using IE.Therein lay the problem.Sorted,cheers;)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

I've a 10km at the weekend and would like to use the virtual partner on my 305cx. Would it be accurate enough to use to hold a 3:55min/km pace or would I just be better off using the stopwatch.
    If it is accurate enough could someone (krusty probably) explain how to set it up.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Formosa

I have a new forerunner 405 which is great but there is one small issue.

It hardly ever starts me off at my house, it usually thinks I'm about 400m away, so depending which direction I head off, the first mile beeps either too soon or too late.

Do I need to reset it?

Rawhead wrote: »
    I've a 10km at the weekend and would like to use the virtual partner on my 305cx. Would it be accurate enough to use to hold a 3:55min/km pace or would I just be better off using the stopwatch.
    If it is accurate enough could someone (krusty probably) explain how to set it up.
    Thanks
    Hi Rawhead, is it a 305 or a 405cx you have? I really wouldn't rely on the Virtual Partner for a race, as your GPS watch will not measure the distance correctly with a huge amount of accuracy, so if you are going for a specific time target, you are better off having 'time' showing on your watch and checking your splits at every mile (or kilometer) marker.

I don't actually have a 305, so don't know how to use the VP, but here's the owner's manual. the Virtual Partner stuff is on page 15.

Formosa wrote: »
    I have a new forerunner 405 which is great but there is one small issue.

It hardly ever starts me off at my house, it usually thinks I'm about 400m away, so depending which direction I head off, the first mile beeps either too soon or too late.

Do I need to reset it?
    Do you wait until you have a decent satellite signal or do you just 'start and go'. I would typically wait (stretch?!) until the satellite signal accuracy is reporting less than 40 feet (5m or so) before starting my run. Also, if you live in a built-up area (trees, tall buildings, obscured view of sky), you may find it takes longer to get a decent satellite lock.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Formosa

Do you wait until you have a decent satellite signal or do you just 'start and go'. I would typically wait (stretch?!) until the satellite signal accuracy is reporting less than 40 feet (5m or so) before starting my run. Also, if you live in a built-up area (trees, tall buildings, obscured view of sky), you may find it takes longer to get a decent satellite lock.

I generally take off the second it has found the satellites...usually because my luddite running partner is standing abusing me for making him hang around while I wait for my fancy watch...I'll give it another minute or so the next time to lock in better.

Formosa wrote: »
    I generally take off the second it has found the satellites...usually because my luddite running partner is standing abusing me for making him hang around while I wait for my fancy watch...I'll give it another minute or so the next time to lock in better.
    Ah yes. We're all victims of technology. It's hard not to feel a little stupid standing around waiting for your watch to get ready for a run. :)

If you go to the satellite screen, it shows you the accuracy level, so you don't have to just wait an extra minute or two. Just wait until it is showing < 40 feet or 5m.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

Hi Rawhead, is it a 305 or a 405cx you have? I really wouldn't rely on the Virtual Partner for a race, as your GPS watch will not measure the distance correctly with a huge amount of accuracy, so if you are going for a specific time target, you are better off having 'time' showing on your watch and checking your splits at every mile (or kilometer) marker.

I don't actually have a 305, so don't know how to use the VP, but here's the owner's manual. the Virtual Partner stuff is on page 15.

Its a 405cx Krusty. Ya i was thinking I'd be better off with the timer. Thanks anyhow...

Rawhead wrote: »
    Its a 405cx Krusty. Ya i was thinking I'd be better off with the timer. Thanks anyhow...
    Ahh right. Different manual then. The correct one is here, page 14 for the Virtual Partner.

[Menu]
    [Training]
    [Virtual Partner]
    [On]

In training mode, touch the bezel to go to the Virtual Partner screen, and rotate the bezel left or right to adjust Virtual Partner pace.

It's probably useful as a general guideline, just don't expect it to be entirely accurate, so if you are fighting for that specific milestone time, you can probably expect it to be out by around 20-30 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭boccy23

Ah yes. We're all victims of technology. It's hard not to feel a little stupid standing around waiting for your watch to get ready for a run. :)

If you go to the satellite screen, it shows you the accuracy level, so you don't have to just wait an extra minute or two. Just wait until it is showing < 40 feet or 5m.

Is this 40 feet an explanation as to why I get some very funny readings for the 1st mile on my 405?
    I can run in one direction, clock a round figure, say 2.5 miles, and then return and it will lways under read on the way back, i.e. 4.9 miles at the original start point?

boccy23 wrote: »
    Is this 40 feet an explanation as to why I get some very funny readings for the 1st mile on my 405?
    I can run in one direction, clock a round figure, say 2.5 miles, and then return and it will lways under read on the way back, i.e. 4.9 miles at the original start point?
    Well, on a 405, 30-40 feet accuracy is probably about as good as you can expect. Think of it like this: When you first turn on GPS, the watch tries to read as many satellite signals as possible. When it has three signals, it can typically triangulate your position, but accuracy will be very poor (potentially, you could be anywhere within a 400 foot radius). With time, the GPS receiver will pick up more satellite signals, and the accuracy improves. Typically, you can see this inaccuracy when you zoom right into your activity on the satellite view.

So if you press start, you might have 40 foot accuracy (you could be anywhere within a foot foot radius), but as you run the first 2.5 miles, the accuracy improves (tightens up). This might explain why you get slightly different readings on an out and back. Of course, with GPS signals, there is also the risk that accuracy dis-improves (e.g. tall buildings, heavy foliage etc). New York Marathon and Chicago marathons are examples of the above.

Chicago: just after the start of the race, you run under street level, and you lose all satellite signals, but it improves later in the course.
    New York: You start with fantastic satelite signals, but later in the race you run on the under-side of a concrete bridge and signal quality is poor at best.
    That's why, when running a race, there really is no substitute for a timer field on your watch and a printed pace band.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭emerald007

I set up four workouts via the website, but is it only possible to download one workout at time?. i probably should RTFM.

emerald007 wrote: »
    I set up four workouts via the website, but is it only possible to download one workout at time?. i probably should RTFM.
    I was only able to transfer one at a time to my 405. Not sure about other watches. It won't be in the manual, as the feature on the website is pretty recent. You can still transfer multiple workouts from Garmin Training Centre.

A friend picked up by 305 at work yesterday, asked what it was, and fiddled with it for a while.

On my run home, every few minutes, it beeped and the message "Approaching turn" would pop up.

I dont use the Nagivation features at all. I have read the manual, and looked at the menus but I cant see anything obvious that has been changed or swithched on.

Anyone any ideas of what feature is doing this.
    Thanks,
    Frustrated, Dundrum

Hi Frustrated (from Dundrum), sounds like you're just going to have to follow the guidance instructions on the Garmin, and re-trace your steps, to their logical conclusion. It could be a sign. Let us know where you end up. :)

Is there not a 'Stop Navigating' option in the GPS menu?

Hi Frustrated (from Dundrum), sounds like you're just going to have to follow the guidance instructions on the Garmin, and re-trace your steps, to their logical conclusion. It could be a sign. Let us know where you end up. :)

You are right, I should have accepted the wisdom of the Garmin. However, there was no turn, maybe I could not accept that it was wrong.

I did find an option in Navigation called " Stop Route", so I did.
    Lets see if that makes a difference.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭newbie runner

Hi all, new to this running lark, but my 6 month old garmin 305 has stopped working.My sister bought it on ebay in the uk and posted it back here to ireland last November.
    it will only work at present whilst on the cradle plugged in.
    the beep went within 3 months which I manage without but the unit stopped last week.

tried soft and hard reset but no joy.
    just after trying to update the software also but, again it will not turn on unless i have it attched to cradle or the laptop.any ideas (as I can't run with the laptop under my arm!)

Please help

Please help
    Sounds like your battery has given up the ghost. If your sister bought it new, it's still under warranty. Get in touch with Garmin support. If it's a refurb or second hand (and older than 1 year), your warranty is up. Garmin will replace it with another refurb, but it's costly.

thanks Krusty,I emailed them a few days ago , and got this today

Thank you for contacting Garmin International. I am happy to help. Please use Garmin’s WebUpdater to update the unit’s software if possible.
    http://www8.garmin.com/support/collection.jsp?product=999-99999-27
    1) Select operating system
    2) Download and install WebUpdater
    Open WebUpdater and follow steps to update software
    If you have tried the soft and master resets then the unit will need to be exchanged.
    The cost of an exchange is $79 unless you are under the one year warranty. Garmin will issue you an Return Material Authorization number(RMA). We will wait for your unit to arrive and then process the exchange. It will take about 10 - 14 business days for the exchange unless you want an Immediate ship. We can charge you a $158 deposit and ship the unit immediately. Once we receive your unit we will credit the deposit back to your credit card. Since your unit is out of warranty you would get $79 back. To do an immediate ship I will need your telephone number and a time frame to call you. You will receive a newly overhauled Forerunner 305 as an exchange which will come with a 90 day warranty. The payment can be put on credit card.
    Please make sure you sign into your myGarmin account and register the device along with your current address so I can issue you an authorization number for an exchange. Here is the link: https://my.garmin.com/mygarmin/customers/myGarminHome.faces

thought it just sounded complicated, and unhelpful, as I would presume I should be covered and its really frustrating to have it gone bust in 6 months

Is it still under warranty? If it is, then it is indeed covered. If it's no longer under warranty, then at least you have an option to exchange it for a working refurbed unit (which is more than you would get when buying most electronics). The RMA process is a standard process for returning goods. It probably sounds a little more complicated than it actually is.

Strange that you're being quoted in dollars though. Is there not a UK/European support contact?

• Advertisement

I've just mailed the techsupp at garmin again and quoted them the unit number on the back of it , so hopefully they can check if its under warranty.When it was bought on ebay it was new--but i think on a sale price, so could be an issue.
    hopefully they'll reply and say send it on for fixing.

I might have become too attached to it of late actually, and must go for a gallop in the morning without it , to get the enjoyment back into running without being worried about time/splits etc.

thanks again

Advertisement