Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Megathread-Ask your questions here-See post 1 on how to search thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭kandikane

Hi can anyone help i have a garmin 205 bought it new before chrimbo on Amizon,i have been having problems with the pace it seems to be very non responsive after a few miles and enen doing 8 min mile pace for a few miles when i slow down or speed it,the pace does not change for a long time,im currently using my other garmin the 305.i have tryed to update the firmware on the garmin site but the problem is still there im pulling my hair out at this stage.I have also tryed doing a hard reset,and sort reset..Please help

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Hi Kandikane, we were talking about this a bit on Saturday. Are you sure you have the same data fields showing on the 205 as you have on the 305? Typically the pace options are something like:
    Pace - This is real-time pace and should change constantly.
    Lap Pace - This is the average pace for an entire lap (usually a mile or a kilometer)
    Average Pace - Average pace for your entire run, If you've been running for a while, this will change very infrequently
    Pace - last lap - This is the pace from your previous lap, so won't change at all, until you hit the next lap.

So if you've chosen either of the last two, then your pace won't change much, no matter how much you slow down or speed up. It's probably not the problem, but worth checking out.

Hi Kandikane, we were talking about this a bit on Saturday. Are you sure you have the same data fields showing on the 205 as you have on the 305? Typically the pace options are something like:
    Pace - This is real-time pace and should change constantly.
    Lap Pace - This is the average pace for an entire lap (usually a mile or a kilometer)
    Average Pace - Average pace for your entire run, If you've been running for a while, this will change very infrequently
    Pace - last lap - This is the pace from your previous lap, so won't change at all, until you hit the next lap.

So if you've chosen either of the last two, then your pace won't change much, no matter how much you slow down or speed up. It's probably not the problem, but worth checking out.

I got onto the garmin KC the next day after chatting to ya im fairy good at finding my way around the garmin i also had ther problem of when i use the lap pace for my speed per mile the average pace seems to move with it i have them on the same screen,thought that was very strange as i had also a 205 before and never had any of these issues,is that any help for ya?

kandikane wrote: »
    I got onto the garmin KC the next day after chatting to ya im fairy good at finding my way around the garmin i also had ther problem of when i use the lap pace for my speed per mile the average pace seems to move with it i have them on the same screen,thought that was very strange as i had also a 205 before and never had any of these issues,is that any help for ya?

Sorry ment to say in the middle of miles the average pace moves with the lap pace

Sorry ment to say in the middle of miles the average pace moves with the lap pace
    ...and have you turned on Auto-lap? What distance is it set to?

• Advertisement

...and have you turned on Auto-lap? What distance is it set to?
    KC just after noticing the ditance alert was set to the mile alright but was KNOCKED OFF i have it on now do ya think that will sort the pace issue or is that something different??

KC just after noticing the ditance alert was set to the mile alright but was KNOCKED OFF i have it on now do ya think that will sort the pace issue or is that something different??
    Well it might, if lap-pace was what you were using on screen to figure out what your pace was.

I'd suggest you put two different data fields on the screen:
    Pace
    Lap-Pace

Pace should be changing constantly, but Lap pace should change frequently at the start, and then even out after about half a mile so it doesn't change that much. Give it a try anyway.

Well it might, if lap-pace was what you were using on screen to figure out what your pace was.

I'd suggest you put two different data fields on the screen:
    Pace
    Lap-Pace

Pace should be changing constantly, but Lap pace should change frequently at the start, and then even out after about half a mile so it doesn't change that much. Give it a try anyway.

Thanks KC i will give it a go tomorrow i have 15 to do,i hope your garmin knowledge is after saving me a trip to Itha"s mad house ha ha,roll on rotterdam )) hope ya had a good night saturday fodd was so yummy ))Thanks KC:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Hi Kandikane, we were talking about this a bit on Saturday. .

hazy....

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭The_Scary_Man

Hi, I've been having a problem with both my GCS10 sensor on my bike and my SDM3 footpod.

Firstly the GCS10, I have a FR305 and when I set the GCS10 up initially it was working fine, recording speed and cadence. A couple of weeks ago though halfway through a turbo session the speed dropped off and it has never been right since. I tops out at about 2.2mph. I've tried realigning the spoke magnet and re-pairing the unit with the watch but nothing has worked so far.

Secondly the foot pod, this has never worked properly. There are drop offs in the cadence all through every run I've ever done. The cadence drops from ~90 to down around 45.

Should I return them or is there a fix? I only bought both at Christmas.

Thanks,

Ken

Edit: Just looking at the charts for the turbo it looks like the profile for the HR and the cadence changed at the same time that the speed profile dropped off. Weird?!

• Advertisement

Hi The_Scary_Man, is your firmware up to date on the 305? Have you changed the batteries in the two sensors?

P
    Hi The_Scary_Man, is your firmware up to date on the 305? Have you changed the batteries in the two sensors?

Hi Krusty, yeah the 305 firmware is up to date, I downloaded the Garmin web updater today. I think it's 2.90.0

I haven't change the batteries though, would they need to be replaced after such a short time?

I'll pick a pair of batteries up tomorrow and try it out.

P

Hi Krusty, yeah the 305 firmware is up to date, I downloaded the Garmin web updater today. I think it's 2.90.0

I haven't change the batteries though, would they need to be replaced after such a short time?

I'll pick a pair of batteries up tomorrow and try it out.

You don't know how long the batteries have been in there. But yeah, they should definitely last longer. It does seem strange that your speed, HR and cadence all seemed to drop off at the same time, which would seem to point to a problem with the watch (which is why I suggested checking your firmware).

You don't know how long the batteries have been in there. But yeah, they should definitely last longer. It does seem strange that your speed, HR and cadence all seemed to drop off at the same time, which would seem to point to a problem with the watch (which is why I suggested checking your firmware).

I replaced both the batteries and no change on the bike sensor speed data. I changed the data recording from Smart recording to Every second but that hasn't worked either. I've read about the tiny circuit in the speed arm cracking on the GCS10 so maybe thats it?

I haven't had a chance to get out for a run with the foot pod but I found a post on another forum where someone else had the same issue with cadence dropping off to 45 and back up to 90. They were in contact with Garmin support and eventually rolled back to the 2.80.0 firmware on the 305 and that solved the issue. I've installed the 2.80.0 firmware on my own 305 so hopefully that'll sort that one out.

Hey Krusty, you were spot on about it being the watch and not the sensors! I reverted back to the older firmware and the 305 is registering the speed from the sensor again.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/147475929

The graph is a bit spiky but I'm hoping that switching back to Smart Recording will iron that out. The spikes and troughs showing on the Garmin Connect graph for speed weren't showing on the watch when I was on the bike.

The foot pod will hopefully sort itself out now too. I'll head out for 5k tomorrow and see how I get on. I'll post up the results of the field test!

Cheers,

Ken

Thanks KC i will give it a go tomorrow i have 15 to do,i hope your garmin knowledge is after saving me a trip to Itha"s mad house ha ha,roll on rotterdam )):)
    Hi KC the garmin is bang on and back on proper pace thanks to you,thanks a million for spotting such a simple problem,heading out with frank tomorrow for 20 miles hope the weather keeps up )) thanks again KC ))

Just an update on the 305 foot pod cadence issue. Switching to the older firmware has solved the problem.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/147607957

:D

Just an update on the 305 foot pod cadence issue. Switching to the older firmware has solved the problem.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/147607957

:D
    I don't have a foot-pod (or a 305!), but was under the impression that it was an either/or with the footpod (e.g. either GPS or foot-pod, but not both). Might (partially) explain the rather linear graph. Might be worth looking at the Garmin Forums (lots of threads on the subject of the 305 and problems with the footpods!).

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Domer

Ok, tried searching the Forum, but to no avail.

I have a Garmon 405 for about 2 years, and works fine. last week after a run, the watch seemed to freeze and I needed to reset it, pushing the two buttons etc. It works fine, and i can see my last few runs on the watch, including all the splits. The problem comes when I sync. The ANT agent can see the watch, and runs through the process of downlading the data. The watch shows the usual progress bar. At the end of all this, I get a message saying that the sync at that particular time failed. Then after a few minutes, the sync starts again, runs throught the same process, fails, waits, and then starts again. Any idea how to resolve this?

I have tried the basic like forcing the sync, manual upload etc, but nothing works.

Thanks,
    Domer

Domer wrote: »
    Ok, tried searching the Forum, but to no avail.

I have a Garmon 405 for about 2 years, and works fine. last week after a run, the watch seemed to freeze and I needed to reset it, pushing the two buttons etc. It works fine, and i can see my last few runs on the watch, including all the splits. The problem comes when I sync. The ANT agent can see the watch, and runs through the process of downlading the data. The watch shows the usual progress bar. At the end of all this, I get a message saying that the sync at that particular time failed. Then after a few minutes, the sync starts again, runs throught the same process, fails, waits, and then starts again. Any idea how to resolve this?

I have tried the basic like forcing the sync, manual upload etc, but nothing works.
    Domer
    Which stage fails? What message does the ANT agent display at the time?
    Might be a good idea to clear you cache of previously uploaded workouts. Have a look at the following location on your computer:
    C:\users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Garmin\Devices\<devicenumber>\Garmin Connect\Pending Uploads
    and
    C:\users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Garmin\Devices\<devicenumber>\Garmin Connect\History

• Advertisement

Deleted all those files, and ran the sync again.

Here is what Garmin Connect gives.

You could try deleting that last run, the one during which the watch crashed. If that doesn't work, try a different PC. After that, a hard reset is probably your best bet (losing all your run data).

Ok, deleted the run that first caused the problem (Friday) and it now has successfully synched my run on Sunday, however on the Sunday one, there is no map, just the splits. Strange! I am happy that I can now sync, and will see what it does when I do another run. Unfortunately I am layed up for a few days with a niggle in my Achilles, so will be a few days before I run again, but will let you know how i get on. Thanks for you help.

Domer

Domer wrote: »
    Ok, deleted the run that first caused the problem (Friday) and it now has successfully synched my run on Sunday, however on the Sunday one, there is no map, just the splits. Strange! I am happy that I can now sync, and will see what it does when I do another run. Unfortunately I am layed up for a few days with a niggle in my Achilles, so will be a few days before I run again, but will let you know how i get on. Thanks for you help.

Domer
    Hi Domer, have you got the ANT agent setup to delete activities after they're uploaded? It sounds like either:
    a) The watch crash may have been caused by running out of memory
    b) The watch crash caused the watch to run out of memory

Which is why your most recent activity doesn't include any track-points, just lap data (typical behaviour when the watch is out of available memory). Either way, you should check how much memory is available and clear some space if necessary, before your next run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭pointer28

Hi all,

I bought an FR60 a few weeks ago and it's been working fine since.

I went out the other day and my HR reading was blank, so I out in a new battery when I got back and still no HR. I thought that the replacement battery my be iffy so I bought a brand new one and put that in. Still nothing.

I tried Google for a solution and it suggested putting in the battery the wrong way for 10 seconds to reset the HR strap. Tried that, no difference.

Any suggestions? Is it likely to be the watch or the strap? The watch is working fine other than that and the Heart symbol is flashing like it's looking for the HR signal but no luck.

Hi Pointer28, have you tried to 're-pair' the HRM to the watch? Sometimes when you change the battery you need to pair the devices again.

Krusty_Clown

Sorry, that's gone straight over the top of my head. I didn't even know such a thing existed.

When I bought it, I took it out of the box and it worked, so I never even thought about anything like that.

I'll see can I find the instruction booklet online and I'll give it a go.

pointer28 wrote: »
    Krusty_Clown
    Sorry, that's gone straight over the top of my head. I didn't even know such a thing existed.
    When I bought it, I took it out of the box and it worked, so I never even thought about anything like that.
    I'll see can I find the instruction booklet online and I'll give it a go.
    The HR sensor should have come 'paired' with the device already, but if you changed the battery, there's a chance it is no longer paired with the device. The manual is here. You need to:
    1. Press MODE, SETTINGS, SPORT.
    2. Select RUN, HEART RATE, ON (or something along those lines).
    You need to be wearing the HR monitor at the time (so that it is powered on, otherwise it may remain in sleep mode. Maybe wet the contacts a little).

Also, the battery connections can bit a bit dodgy on the HR sensor. You might need to bend the contacts a little, just to make sure they are making contact with the battery. Hope that helps.

Thanks Krusty,

I'll try that later, thanks again for all you help. My usual technical repair goes as follows:

Swear at it
    Swear at it and threaten it
    Swear at it louder with more violent threats
    Beat it off a wall

So, hopefully you'll save my poor Garmin from such abuse.

• Advertisement

pointer28 wrote: »
    Beat it off a wall
    Actually, I was going to suggest that as a third option, if the first two suggestions don't work. :)

Advertisement