Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overeem fails pre fight drug test

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭00benski

Mellor wrote: »
    Dan Henderson isn't juicing.
    He had a TRT exemption for some time as he was pretty sick. His dose is just enough to get him to normal levels for his age.
    Posting without a clue is pointless.

Wrong dan henderson is Juicing, do you know the meaning of the word juicing. Well it usually means in this pretence that you take steroids. Dan henderson takes steroids. This is not an accusation this is the truth. He takes testosterone to bring his own levels back up to what he calls normal levels. So for you to say he doesnt is Pointless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

00benski wrote: »
    [/B]Yes there are many many steroids on the market today that will be out of your system in days and some cannot be detected at all, hence why so many athletes get away with taking them.

HGH cannot be readily detected in urine, though there is a test being researched at the moment. It's usually undetectable in blood samples after 48 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,161 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Wrong dan henderson is Juicing, do you know the meaning of the word juicing. Well it usually means in this pretence that you take steroids. Dan henderson takes steroids. This is not an accusation this is the truth. He takes testosterone to bring his own levels back up to what he calls normal levels. So for you to say he doesnt is Pointless.
    He has an exemption. Grouping him with people who are taking PEDs illegally is just stupid.
    By your definition a female athlete on the pill is juicing. :rolleyes:

I'm not saying fighters don't take PEDs. Of course they do. Nor am I saying that the ACs catch them all, obviously they don't. But I don't believe it's as rampant as some people say.

I also agree that the new steroids are a few steps ahead of the tests. But this idea of clearing the system rapidly is exaggerated IMO. Detection of the drug isnt an issue, its the lingering effects that catch people (eg Overeem's T/E ratio). If they don't raise testosterone levels for very long, they aren't much use really.
    Please give examples of these steroids you refer to above?

In my opinion, it's the masking that is advancing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

in your opinion who would you say is "obviously juicing"

Answering this is going to get someone banned, don't speculate about who is on peds.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Dan Henderson isn't juicing.
    He had a TRT exemption for some time as he was pretty sick. His dose is just enough to get him to normal levels for his age.
    Posting without a clue is pointless.

He is given TRT by his doctor to bring his levels back up to what medical consensus calls normal levels for a male his age.

It's the tiny details that make all the difference.

Also, you completely misused "pretence".

I ****ing hate threads about roids, mucho handbags, minimal understanding.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dave80

He has an exemption. Grouping him with people who are taking PEDs illegally is just stupid.
    By your definition a female athlete on the pill is juicing. :rolleyes:

I'm not saying fighters don't take PEDs. Of course they do. Nor am I saying that the ACs catch them all, obviously they don't. But I don't believe it's as rampant as some people say.

I also agree that the new steroids are a few steps ahead of the tests. But this idea of clearing the system rapidly is exaggerated IMO. Detection of the drug isnt an issue, its the lingering effects that catch people (eg Overeem's T/E ratio). If they don't raise testosterone levels for very long, they aren't much use really.
    Please give examples of these steroids you refer to above?

In my opinion, it's the masking that is advancing.

if he's putting synthetic test into his system he's juicing just because he's basically found a loop hole to make it 'legal' doesn't matter.

overeems T/E ratio is not a 'lingering effect' it shows he has more test floating around his body the a normal person should thereby indicating he's juicing, not sure you understand how juicing works? testosterone propionate is a common used test by athletes which is fast acting and fasting clearing, stop 2 days before a scheduled test and you'll pass.

dave80 wrote: »
    if he's putting synthetic test into his system he's juicing just because he's basically found a loop hole to make it 'legal' doesn't matter.

overeems T/E ratio is not a 'lingering effect' it shows he has more test floating around his body the a normal person should thereby indicating he's juicing, not sure you understand how juicing works? testosterone propionate is a common used test by athletes which is fast acting and fasting clearing, stop 2 days before a scheduled test and you'll pass.

You don't pass because Propionate is "quick clearing", you pass because Propionate maintains a 1:1 test:epitest ratio because Propionate has a ratio of 1:1 anabolic:androgenic. It's basically exactly the same as testosterone produced in the body. No out of whack ratio's, no metabolites.

You don't pass because Propionate is "quick clearing", you pass because Propionate maintains a 1:1 test:epitest ratio because Propionate has a ratio of 1:1 anabolic:androgenic. It's basically exactly the same as testosterone produced in the body. No out of whack ratio's, no metabolites.
    No ur wrong .... Test Prop wit its anabolic/androgenic ratio of 1:1 is a different thing altogether, ur the one wit minimal understanding maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

Overeem is set for hearing on April 24 about his results. It will interesting to hear his excuse being 14/1.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Tubbs4 wrote: »
    Overeem is set for hearing on April 24 about his results. It will interesting to hear his excuse being 14/1.

If he can't fight for a while I hear there's an opening to apply for a Real Estate licence in Oregon :p

• Advertisement

I'm not really interested in pedantry over a definition of "juicing". As I said before a female on the pill is also taking a steroid.
    The simple fact is henderson is not breaking any rules. He needs TRT regardless of fighting, a key difference between use and abuse.
    overeems T/E ratio is not a 'lingering effect' it shows he has more test floating around his body the a normal person should thereby indicating he's juicing, not sure you understand how juicing works?
    I know exactly what the T/E ratio is. By lingering effect I was obviously referring to the fact that the actual drug may not be present or detected, but the effect can be detected. Or metabolites hanging around, for example.
    Also, a high T/E ratio doesn't indicate that there's more test than a normal person. It only indicates that exogenous testosterone was introduced. Obviously Overeem's test levels were through the roof also. But T/E isn't what indicates this.
    If you are going to make a condescending lremark about understanding juicing, it's probably a good idea to make sure you what you say is accurate.

I'm all for a discussion of PED use in sports, the specifics of Overeem's situation, even speculation of exactly how he was using. But I don't see any benefit to snide remarks, insults or just general arguing.

I'm not really interested in pedantry over a definition of "juicing". As I said before a female on the pill is also taking a steroid.
    The simple fact is henderson is not breaking any rules. He needs TRT regardless of fighting, a key difference between use and abuse.

I know exactly what the T/E ratio is. By lingering effect I was obviously referring to the fact that the actual drug may not be present or detected, but the effect can be detected. Or metabolites hanging around, for example.
    Also, a high T/E ratio doesn't indicate that there's more test than a normal person. It only indicates that exogenous testosterone was introduced. Obviously Overeem's test levels were through the roof also. But T/E isn't what indicates this.
    If you are going to make a condescending lremark about understanding juicing, it's probably a good idea to make sure you what you say is accurate.

I'm all for a discussion of PED use in sports, the specifics of Overeem's situation, even speculation of exactly how he was using. But I don't see any benefit to snide remarks, insults or just general arguing.

i did make any snide remarks etc is was a genuine question!

hendos putting test into his system so in my eyes he's juicing end of and iam sure all the females on the pill get great gains from the extra estrogen in there bodies :rolleyes:

a T/E ratio above 6:1 does indicate that there's more test than a normal person which is a marker that they've been juicing (obviously where talking about ratios but i cant see someone failing because of abnormally low levels of epitest)

No ur wrong .... Test Prop wit its anabolic/androgenic ratio of 1:1 is a different thing altogether, ur the one wit minimal understanding maybe?

Yeah, Test Propionate is completely different to Test Propionate.

Okay.

Yeah, Test Propionate is completely different to Test Propionate.

Okay.

not sure wat u mean, ur confusing the anabolic/androgenic ratio (1:1) of test with a testosterone/epitestosterone ratio test which will increase with the more test you take??

hendos putting test into his system so in my eyes he's juicing end of and iam sure all the females on the pill get great gains from the extra estrogen in there bodies :rolleyes:
    I sat there were technically taking steroids. I never said they made gains. The fact that they aren't is exactly my point. It's not difficult to understand.
    It's pointless chasing the definition of "juicing", its a slang term, an exact defintion isn't possible.
    But we do have a concrete defintion for using drugs to cheat.
    Overeem was cheating with drugs.
    Henderson is not. You may not agree with TRT. that's up to you. But plain and simple, he didn't break any rules.

Obviously somebody on TRT could abuse it and cheat at the same time. But that's a different situation.
    a T/E ratio above 6:1 does indicate that there's more test than a normal person which is a marker that they've been juicing (obviously where talking about ratios but i cant see someone failing because of abnormally low levels of epitest)
    No it doesn't.
    The T/E ratio indicates that there is more test than epitest, that's all. It's a marker for juicing as it happens when exogenous test is introduced, which in 99% of cases also means a higher test than normal, obviously. But don't confuse causation and co-relation. Somebody who genuinely requires TRT will have a high T/E ratio, but won't have higher than normal test.

Example: Take Chael, his T/E ratio was 16.9:1 after the Silva fight. But his test levels were within a normal range (according to evidence from the hearing). Therefor, a high T/E ratio doesn't necessarily mean high test.

I'm not saying applies to Overeem, his test was prob sky high. I'm just pointing out that your statement wasn't accurate.
    a T/E ratio above 6:1 does indicate that there's more test than a normal person

Now, as i said above. Can we get past all of that and try some genuine discussion based on facts.
    Has Overeem replied.
    Do you think he'll coem clean?
    Has he a hope of ever fighting at top level again?

In his first full-time HW fight (Knapp) he weighed 98kg (216). He was a lean 263 against Lesnar. So 47lbs gain.

And it wasn't a gradual weight gain over 6 years. There was some very rapid spurts. He was already 260 against Fujita in 2009. He went from 225 to 242 in 3 months.

Somebody with a skinny frame (look at his wrists & ankles) putting on that kind of muscle, that fast, all the while staying lean, fighting regularly, doing cardio... its not possible naturally.

Source for 216 vrs Knapp?
    Pretty sure he didn't go from 225 to 242 in 3 months.

His first HW fight he was 228. (Feb '06)
    The next date I can find a weight for in november '11. 224lbs
    7 months later he was 239.8lbs. That's prob the biggest spike.
    Then 14 months later he was 253.5. He stayed around here until he fought Lesnar. Going from 256 to 263 over 6 months.

Obviously the number on the scales isn't the only concern. But if we are going to quantitfy the gains he made, there is no reason we can't get a pretty accurate timelien given most of the info is out there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

So let's not discuss the actual issues at stake, instead let's have one half of us shriek cheeeeeat over and over and the other half can have a pissing contest and impress us with how much they know about steroids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭armitage_skanks

Source for 216 vrs Knapp?

The Knapp fight is on youtube and he is announced at 98kg.

There was a thread somewhere on sherdog with all his weights for every event, I will try to find it later.
    His first HW fight he was 228. (Feb '06)
    Source for this? He was 224 against Buentello in Nov 2007.

The Knapp fight is on youtube and he is announced at 98kg.

There was a thread somewhere on sherdog with all his weights for every event, I will try to find it later.

Source for this? He was 224 against Buentello in Nov 2007.

Weigh in Results for Pride 31 - Feb'06

http://www.mmafighting.net/forum/showthread.php?13967-Pride-31-Weigh-In-Results
    and
    http://www.mmaweekly.com/pride-31-weigh-ins
    From MMAWeekly.com:

PEDRO RIZZO : 246 lbs vs ROMAN ZENTSOV : 228 lbs

QUINTON RAMPAGE JACKSON : 205 lbs vs YOON DONG SIK : 200 lbs

JOHN OLAV EINEMO : 237 lbs vs FABRICIO WERDUM : 238 lbs

KOSAKA TSUYOSHI : 222 lbs vs MARIO SPERRY : 231 lbs

SERGEY KHARITONOV : 244 lbs vs ALISTAIR OVEREEM : 228 lbs

NAKAMURA KAZUHIRO : 225 lbs vs JOSH BARNETT : 255 lbs

ANTONIO RODRIGO NOGUEIRA : 240 lbs vs TAMURA KIYOSHI : 187 lbs

MAURICIO SHOGUN : 227 lbs vs MARK COLEMAN : 224 lbs

NISHIJIMA YOUSUKE : 211 lbs vs MARK HUNT : 292 lbs

I have found that Knapp video you mentioned and it does say 98kg.
    But this was a K1 promoted MMA match. The heavyweight limit for K-1 is 100kg (above 100kg is K1 super heavyweight), so that limit was probably applicable in that fight. Which means he was likely cutting weight to make it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭armitage_skanks

I have found that Knapp video you mentioned and it does say 98kg.
    But this was a K1 promoted MMA match. The heavyweight limit for K-1 is 100kg (above 100kg is K1 super heavyweight), so that limit was probably applicable in that fight. Which means he was likely cutting weight to make it.

When fighters are cutting down to a limit, they're usually right on the button or at most 1lb under. It doesnt make any sense to go 2kg (4.5lbs) under the limit, that's unnecessary dehydration. I would say 98kg was his walk-around weight at the time.

And re: Pride 31 Overeem says he weighed in at 102kg (224.8) here so I don't know which to believe.

You can go around in circles all day with some of these weighs that aren't as well documented as others. At the end of the day he put on a shedload of muscle very quickly while training for a cardio-intense sport, and had all the appearances of a roider. Then he failed a PED test.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Niall0

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news/396449/Bas-Rutten-reports-Overeem-vs-JDS-may-be-on/
    Bas Rutten reports Overeem vs. JDS may be on

8 hours ago | source: twitter.com | 19411 Views | 103 Comments

Co-host of Inside MMA on HDNet and former UFC and Pancrase champion Bas Rutten is reporting on twitter that he hears the heavyweight champonship between Junior Dos Santos and challenger Alistair Overeem is still going to happen, despite Overeem's failure of a surprise pre fight test for PEDs.
    Bas Rutten ‏ @BasRuttenMMA
    I hear we still might c the JDS/Overeem fight? Haha, awesome. Let me get more info
    johnathan willis ‏ @crunchless
    that's a ridiculous message to send, having the man who just failed a drug test fighting for the title is bad juju #armyofdoom
    i know it's freaking insane, cheating and maybe still fighting? But this is America, and crap like that happens, JDS can set it
    straight though if it happens. Let me get more info first, but that's news I received.
    Patrick Thorne ‏ @PhatPatDaKlepto
    Let Reem keep juicing, and let JDS use brass knuckles. Seems fair to me.
    u can't juice the jaw!
    chris boyce ‏ @tsdstud
    interesting... I'm pretty torn on it if ubereem is actually found to have been cheating though
    He did, we know this now, but in America we heard the story of a burglar who injured himself while breaking in, got money from the victims, it's insane, the law is BS. Let JDS be the judge IF it happens
    George H. ‏ @halitosisMMA
    In fact, JDS could be Overeem's punishment
    yes!
    I think it's BS also, but we have heard crazier things. I thought the NSAC was simply gonna deny his fight permit maybe they still can, I
    Just inform you guys of news that I heard, wanna keep you "in the loop". We will see, asaih something, I let u guys know
    RichF ‏ @Liberty8691
    they're going to let overroid fight? how's he going to wiggle out of this one?
    I hear a "technicality" butlers just wait and c what happens, I let you guys know.
    unknownpharoah ‏ @unknownpharoah1
    c'mon Bas im one of your biggest fans but your clear dislike and agenda with @Alistairovereem is not a good look for you.
    did exactly the same with anybody else who tested positive, if u r indeed a big fan, u should know that
    tell me what I did different then I did with other fighters who tested positive? Would live to hear that
    The most plausible route through which Overeem might still fight is a therapuetic exemption for Testosterone Replacement Therapy. If there is no deadline for a TRT exemption, then Overeem could supply verification from an MD that he had was being treated for low levels of testosterone, and thus might still be licensed by the Nevada State Athletic Commission.
    Image courtesy of CagePotato

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

If JDS has the last say on whether or not this fight goes ahead I can't see him allowing it.. He has too much respect for the sport to let something like that happen.

I'd be extremely shocked and disappointed if he did.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

If the fight does go ahead then it's an absolute joke.
    Can TRT really produce levels of 14:1 like Overeem had??
    It's really gonna send the wrong message to other fighters and to fans if he gets away with it. Potential fans will get the impression that all the fighters in mma can juice as much as they want and still fight because of technicalities.
    There needs to be clear and defined rules and punishments for this sort of thing. I know the whole trt thing is a bit of a grey area but it needs to be solved and have the same fair rules for everybody.
    If I was JDS I wouldn't agree to the fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Get the fight on IMO. I want to be entertained. Too much respect for the sport my granny. The sport wont have respect for him when he gets washed up so he should be thinking of making hay while the sun shines.

+1 for clear cut rules. Should be the same for one as everyone.

Speaking of which, I don't get how there was so little talk of the video that Rampage did on "How to get a gurl". Dana drops Miguel Torres almost immediately (only to allow him return 3 weeks later) about a rape comment and then says nothing about this...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Get the fight on IMO. I want to be entertained. Too much respect for the sport my granny. The sport wont have respect for him when he gets washed up so he should be thinking of making hay while the sun shines.

As I already said in another post, I wouldn't want to watch a sport where 1 guy has a massive ILLEGAL advantage over another guy. And it wouldn't be fair to JDS. He seems to be as clean cut as they come, so why should he have to accept a fight against someone who disregards the rules and does whatever he wants and still gets away with it just because of his big name?
    If this was a different low-level fighter do you think the UFC would even think about allowing the fight to go ahead? Not a chance. It seems to be one rule for one guy and a different rule for another.
    If you have a big name you can do what you like. It was the same with Nick Diaz when he refused to show up at press conferences, never contacted anybody and even put up videos on Youtube slagging off the UFC and saying he was leaving to follow a boxing career. If any other fighter did this they would be cut straight away but because it was Diaz he was left in the organisation and still gets his high purses and big fights.

+1 for clear cut rules. Should be the same for one as everyone.

Speaking of which, I don't get how there was so little talk of the video that Rampage did on "How to get a gurl". Dana drops Miguel Torres almost immediately (only to allow him return 3 weeks later) about a rape comment and then says nothing about this...

I think Rampage is trying to get fired by the UFC. He clearly doesn't wanna be there and doesn't care what he says.
    As far as the UFC are concerned they probably look at it like he only has one more fight and then he's gone so why rock the boat now......just ignore it, get him his last fight and have him earn the UFC a few more quid and then cut him.

They should just let him go. He adds nothing to a fight card anymore IMO.

Anywho, back on topic.

This post is so stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

They should just let him go. He adds nothing to a fight card anymore IMO.

Anywho, back on topic.

This post is so stupid.

Like your username:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

Like your username:)

It's a badass name indeed!

As much as I was looking forward to the Overeem vs. JDS fight and as annoyed I'll be that it's not going ahead, the important bit is that we were scheduled to see JDS vs. Overeem not JDS vs. Overeem + Testosterone..

Fight should never go ahead now imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

TRT can provide levels that high people usually stop using it closer to the fight and let the levels slip down from my limit understanding.

I liked the guy on the MMA hour this week, his solution was Nevada should use the 4:1 level like most organisations around the world the 6:1 is outdated and if someone exceeds the 4:1 level they should do the test to check if its natural or synthetic, if synthetic announce and ban. They should not announce levels until they check if its synthetic.

I am assuming Overeem is synthetic. Most fighters using TRT have to becuase at one point they were roiding. There are probably some examples where not however I would be surprised with the amount of TRT exemptions allowed all are legit and never used roids.

Appartently you lose 1% a year of Testosterone from approx 30 years of age, so at 40 most are only down to 90% and would not need TRT.

Please don't bash, I am only saying what I have heard and not an expert or claim to be.

Advertisement