Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overeem fails pre fight drug test

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Niall0

Ush1 wrote: »
    JDS v Mir
    Cain v Werdum
    Nelson v Silva

That's how I'd like the card to look.
    Mir v jds
    and fedor v cain
    Dana has tryed for years to get fedor will this be chance
    I dont think Dana wants him anymore maybe werdum or mark hunt could fill a spot on the main card

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Ian Whelan

+1 for Mark Hunt, decent guy, I reckon Fedor should get the title shot, it would be an ever bigger draw than the original fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Stephen_King

scudzilla wrote: »
    Doesn't JDS have to agree to the change though? From a striker like Overeem to someone who is one of the best on the ground, not as though it's short notice, JDS still has 7 weeks or so to change his game plan.

I'd imagine JDS will be all over this one to avenge Nogs arm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Mark Hunt for the title shot!!

Agree on the Fedor part though, that imo would smash the UFC 100 buyrate.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭00benski

Sure if we look back to page 6 of this form and the cyborg thread, i think it was only a matter of time before overeem got nailed for his abuse, and as i said before anyone that tought he wasnt on them was very naive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭p to the e

Tim Sylvia as replacement :D . Overeem wasn't called Over-roid, in some circles, for nothing. Kizer is a serious man when it comes to this sort of thing and I imagine he wasn't happy with how Overeem missed his first test the last time. Because of that I imagine six HW's were surprise tested as a guise to get to Overeem

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭tower08

mir vs jds

cain vs silva

nelson vs hunt

nelson hunt would be a good match up, would give roy alot better chance of getting a win than against silva, and silva vs cain would be a good match up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭armitage_skanks

00benski wrote: »
    Sure if we look back to page 6 of this form and the cyborg thread, i think it was only a matter of time before overeem got nailed for his abuse, and as i said before anyone that tought he wasnt on them was very naive.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056506840&page=2

Makes for some funny reading alright. The signs that he was roiding were plain as day so anybody who wasn't at least suspicious of him is a dimwit. Couple of them on that thread but say no more :pac:

I Think keyboard jockeys was a word used to describe some of us who dare to say that professional sport is rampant with ped's. If the state commissions had more funding for random testing then i think we would see the full extent of the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Sh*t, this happening and Mir being the only valid option for a title shot really shows how poor the HW division is compared to the others IMO

Ian Whelan wrote: »
    I reckon Fedor should get the title shot
    p to the e wrote: »
    Tim Sylvia as replacement :D .

It got 100 times worse!!! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

I Think keyboard jockeys was a word used to describe some of us who dare to say that professional sport is rampant with ped's. If the state commissions had more funding for random testing then i think we would see the full extent of the problem.

Well we might, or people might be disappointed either way. I believe in innocent until proven guilty.

However I think every fan has to ask themselves some questions before condemning Overeem or anyone else accused of PED use. I also think Dana White should ask himself these questions. In the history of PED use and guilty verdicts in sport, usually the men at the top tut tut and make grand statements about kicking drugs out of sport, but the real disappointment for them is that they got caught, not that they took.

1) If there were 2 UFCs, one with strict, weekly testing and one without where the fighters could take what they wanted, which would you watch? Which do you think would be better?

2) Do you like watching a competitive MMA scene where fighters could move around weight divisions within a few months, or can make themselves larger very quickly to be more competitive.

3) If there were never any questions asked, or tests for PEDs, would you be bothered?

We can't have a debate about PED use in sport that doesn't involve shrieking from ex-stars who sound like Mary Whitehouse, but we need to have one. I don't advocate their use but we expect a lot of our professional sportsmen and many of them would say that they're just doing what they can in the very short window of a career that they have, and that they've sacrificed college/school/career/family to get to the top. If one course of steroids to remain competitive in a weight division is what it takes to keep them there then a lot of people would say that is worth the risk.

Well we might, or people might be disappointed either way. I believe in innocent until proven guilty.

Hear hear!

1) If there were 2 UFCs, one with strict, weekly testing and one without where the fighters could take what they wanted, which would you watch? Which do you think would be better?

Better? Why would one automatically be better? There are a million different variables which come into play here when you don't include PEDs. Giving Chainsaw Charles McCarthy PEDs isn't gonna mean he's beating Anderson Silva!

Also, don't just think that because you'd have 1 division WITH drugs and one without that would stop cheating. I guarentee that if you had a MW Champion of the clean division, there would be people who would try to cheat their way to that title the same way people do it now, only this time almost being certain that they have the edge as their oppenent is clean!
    2) Do you like watching a competitive MMA scene where fighters could move around weight divisions within a few months, or can make themselves larger very quickly to be more competitive.

Fighters jumping around weightclasses isn't really the issue here. You can't just start advocating the use of drugs because that will lead to EVERYONE taking them. Why would a guy get into the cage at a major disadvantage when he knows his opponent has been able to train longer, harder, get bigger etc with artificial help?
    3) If there were never any questions asked, or tests for PEDs, would you be bothered?

Yes. This is sport.
    We can't have a debate about PED use in sport that doesn't involve shrieking from ex-stars who sound like Mary Whitehouse, but we need to have one. I don't advocate their use but we expect a lot of our professional sportsmen and many of them would say that they're just doing what they can in the very short window of a career that they have, and that they've sacrificed college/school/career/family to get to the top. If one course of steroids to remain competitive in a weight division is what it takes to keep them there then a lot of people would say that is worth the risk.

Everyone sacrifices for their job. It doesn't give them an excuse to break the rules and cheat.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Ian Whelan

Xlami wrote: »

Funny thing is that Hunt could easily win. After seeing the brick outhouse that is Cheick Kongo collapse last time I am quite sure that Hunt is well up to knocking JDS out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭dougieruggie

Who on earth was stupid enough to believe that Overeem wasn't juicing?

I mean look at him. Genetics and hard training play a role but lets be realistic here, hes bigger than most bodybuilders who juice and this is all while competing in a high cardio sport. Do people honestly think its possible to have that sort of muscle size and definition without steroids??

Jesus christ.

Who on earth was stupid enough to believe that Overeem wasn't juicing?

I mean look at him. Genetics and hard training play a role but lets be realistic here, hes bigger than most bodybuilders who juice and this is all while competing in a high cardio sport. Do people honestly think its possible to have that sort of muscle size and definition without steroids??

Jesus christ.

For a lot of people it was a case of innocent til proven guilty.

You can't just go around saying "that fella is on steroids" and treat it as fact without due process.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I am also jumping on the Mark Hunt bandwagon

o9jt5e.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Just read that his T/E ratio was 14:1

LINKY
    UFC No. 1 heavyweight contender Alistair Overeem produced a testosterone-to-epitestosterone ratio of 14:1 in his failed urine test, Nevada state athletic commission executive director Keith Kizer told MMA Fighting on Thursday, shortly after he learned of the final result.
    The average male produces a T/E ratio around 1:1. The World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) uses a 4:1 standard for positive tests, and NSAC uses 6:1 as its cutoff, a number used by WADA up until 2006.

In NSAC's original statement announcing the flagged result, Overeem was said to have tested at a level higher than 10:1.
    Overeem has the right to ask for his B-sample to be tested to ensure the accuracy of the result. That would likely trigger a carbon isotope ratio test, which would determine whether the testosterone in his body was natural or synthetic.
    Because Overeem (36-11, 1 no contest) is unlicensed in Nevada, he cannot be punished for the test, but he would face an uphill task in trying to gain a license to fight Junior Dos Santos at UFC 146 as originally scheduled.
    Overeem's number is slightly lower than that of Chael Sonnen when he was caught with an elevated level in 2010. Sonnen, who lost to Anderson Silva the day after the test was taken, produced a sample with a 16.9:1 ratio.
    To date, the UFC has still not addressed any potential replacement for Overeem, though a source with knowledge of the situation said the promotion would most likely choose former champion Frank Mir to face dos Santos.
    UFC 146 takes place on May 26 at Las Vegas' MGM Grand Garden Arena.

I'd say there's little point in him asking for his B sample to be tested at this stage. His levels were way above the allowed limits.
    Along with most other people, I always suspected Overeem was juicing, but as has been said you can't just go around making allegations without any proof.
    I actually think the instances of people being caught in mma recently may be good for the sport. It might make people rethink using PEDs for fear of being caught. Of course people will always find ways around everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

how stupid is the dude? seriously? after his warning from the commission last time that he'd be subject to two random drugs tests in 6 months, he goes and does this? There's dumb, and there's downright stupid, and this is downright stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Hide the Rum

No word from his camp. Would be interesting to finally hear a fighter say "Yeah I got caught."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭DB888

Hunt could knock out a horse with either hand.If he had peyrhaps had another win on his streak against another good name I reckon they would give it to him over Mir if thats the way there gonna go.All this providing Reem is 100% guilty

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

Chael Sonnen's reaction via twitter:

"He has the body fat of a tooth brush, looks like the guy on STREET FIGHTER. My mind is blown, just blown."

You can't just go around saying "that fella is on steroids" and treat it as fact without due process.

Innocent until proven guilty my ass, this is real life not some stupid court room or some silly bubble we are living in ( altough some people on this form seem to be ). The fact of the matter is as ive said already, ped abuse is rampant in 80% of elite athletes.

Do you think they never want to give themselves an edge, to become the best... to get the next big paycheck. Its what they do. Lets all open our eyes. As ive said already if the commessions had more funding and money to police this then it might be differant..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Innocent until proven guilty my ass, this is real life not some stupid court room or some silly bubble we are living in ( altough some people on this form seem to be ). The fact of the matter is as ive said already, ped abuse is rampant in 80% of elite athletes.

Do you think they never want to give themselves an edge, to become the best... to get the next big paycheck. Its what they do. Lets all open our eyes. As ive said already if the commessions had more funding and money to police this then it might be differant..

Bollox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭dougieruggie

Bollix to that, its 80% rampant in sports with less than stringent testing.

In rugby, a game that puts a huge emphasis on strength and power you never see physiques like Overeems in even the biggest players.

Why is that? Because rugby players are strictly tested.

Until MMA gets strict testing then you'll constantly have athletes testing positive. I have the uptmost respect for Lesnar who is probably one of the few athletes in the HWD (JDS, Velasquez, Nelson being others) who didnt actually juice (you can tell by the fact that Lesnar lost an awful lot of his muscle)

I'll get a ban for this. But if you think Shane Carwin doesnt juice as well your living in la-la land. Ban me now, just like you banned the other posters who said Overeem juiced.

I mean its pretty obvious. Stuffins 'innocent until proven guilty' anyone with a brain can see what athletes are obviously juicing. I was reading the other thread and the fact that yourself and Oglesby were saying Overeem could be natural and that no one knows how hard these guys train etc. is beyond comedy.

Oh ye sorry i take back what i said, all you need to do is drink your milk... get plenty of good sleep and train your ass off, and one day you to could become a superstar.

Yes, innocent until proven guilty. Just like I couldnt just go around telling everyone you were a child molester just because I thought you looked like one

Doug i have to disagree with you on your rugby point, i know a guy that actually supplies hgh to some pro rugby guys, so on this point ill leave it at that

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

Out with the proof so. 80% you say? Let's see either who you reckon is "on" or who you've been injecting.

A lot of people say "he's juicing" because they can't conceive that someone has better genetics, works harder, trains smarter and has better coaches than they do.

Remember kids, if he's stronger than you, faster than you, bigger than you, or he beat you, then he's on gear!

• Advertisement

Out with the proof so. 80% you say? Let's see either who you reckon is "on" or who you've been injecting.

A lot of people say "he's juicing" because they can't conceive that someone has better genetics, works harder, trains smarter and has better coaches than they do.

Remember kids, if he's stronger than you, faster than you, bigger than you, or he beat you, then he's on gear!

Unfortunatly Barry i cant, as much as id love to start naming names, i have been warned 3 times already about accusations and the next time its a ban.

Advertisement