Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overeem fails pre fight drug test

Options
  • 04-04-2012 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭

Alistair Overeem (36-11 MMA, 1-0 UFC) us unlikely to fight champion Junior Dos Santos (14-1 MMA, 8-0 UFC) for the UFC heavyweight title this summer at UFC 146.

Nevada State Athletic Commission Executive Director Keith Kizer today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) the No. 1 heavyweight contender failed a pre-fight drug test conducted this past Tuesday following a press conference for UFC 146.

Overeem's "A" sample was flagged for an elevated T/E ratio that exeeded 10-to-1, well over the 6-to-1 limit. Kizer said the heavyweight has the right to request the test's "B" sample, which, if negative, would make him eligible to receive a fight license.

The former Strikeforce champion was among six top-billed fighters who were tested for the all-heavyweight pay-per-view event, which takes place May 26 at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. All were tested for diuretics, masking agents, anabolic steroids and T/E ratios in addition to drugs of abuse.

Dos Santos, Frank Mir, Cain Velasquez, Roy Nelson and Antonio Silva all passed their tests.

It's not the first time Overeem has run afoul of the NSAC. He was granted a conditional license to fight Brock Lesnar at UFC 141 after missing a pre-fight drug test ordered by the commission, which reinstated out-of-competition testing this past July.

Answering to the commission via telephone during an NSAC hearing held three weeks prior to UFC 141, Overeem said he missed the test because he had flown back to his native Holland to care for his ailing mother and wasn't made aware of the obligation. When he got word, he submitted an invalid blood test conducted by his personal doctor and then submitted urine that wasn't tested.

The NSAC gave him a license on the condition that he submit to a drug test conducted by an accredited laboratory, which he did two days later (and subsequently passed), as well as pass a drug test upon arriving in the U.S. for the Lesnar fight and submit to two random tests.

This past Tuesday's test served as one of those random tests, which also followed a fight-night test at UFC 141.

Because Overeem's conditional license expired on Dec. 31, the NSAC will not receive a disciplinary complaint against him as it does for licensed athletes. Instead, he will need to appear before the commission should he choose to apply for a license, which notably, hadn't been filed for UFC 146.

With one half of May 26's event on the shelf, the UFC may give one of the main-card heavyweights an impromptu title shot

Pity really

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Damn shame but surely it was only a matter of time

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Hardly surprising, Pity as it was going to be an intriqing match up

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

So who would you put in to replace him against JDS?

Frank Mir - Seems the logical choice, on a 3 fight win streak

Cain - Would be devastating for his career if he were to lose back to back against JDS, i think he needs another couple of fights before he gets a crack

Roy Nelson - Lost 3of his last 4, but did take JDS the distance

Silva - Can't really give him a shot in his first fight...can they??

I'd go with

JDS V Mir

Cain v Nelson

Silva v Struve

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Niall0

Mir seems like the best choice, Is a testosterone ratio of 10-1 possible without performance enhancers? Maybe hell use the chael sonnen defence (TRT) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭pauldoo

Maybe werdum will step in,if available! Otherwise may well br Mir stepping. Mir is one of my favourite fighters but i cant see how he will beat jds

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

A very quick scan of this Wiki page show that 1:1 is the average in a population.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭themandan6611

Sonnen can easily beef up and dominate the HW division as he does the world

• Registered Users Posts: 7,982 ✭✭✭threeball

scudzilla wrote: »

Cain - Would be devastating for his career if he were to lose back to back against JDS, i think he needs another couple of fights before he gets a crack

I'd go with

JDS V Mir

Cain v Nelson

Silva v Struve

Poor auld Roy. Have you no compassion man! :p

threeball wrote: »
    Poor auld Roy. Have you no compassion man! :p

After his long layoff and quick defeat to JDS Cain needs some target practice, and Nelson will give him 15mins of that without troubling him too much

• Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I was really looking forward to this fight. I wouldn't say they'll get a replacement at all. They may just bump it off the card and wait to see the results of the rest of the heavyweight bouts and then find a contender.
    Shame really.

• Advertisement

Do you guys reckon he'll contest the result and elect for his 'B' sample to be tested?

Quite disappointed, was quite looking to this penultimate fight in the HW card..

Leeg17 wrote: »
    Do you guys reckon he'll contest the result and elect for his 'B' sample to be tested?

Quite disappointed, was quite looking to this penultimate fight in the HW card..
    He most likely will try and fight it, when this kind of thing happens the accused rarely just admits to PED use. They usually try some kind of excuse

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

I'd go with

JDS V Mir

Cain v Nelson

Silva v Struve

Fedor to make his UFC debut.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Hide the Rum

Card was too good to be true, damn.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/4/4/2926260/ufcs-dana-white-responds-to-alistair-overeems-failed-drug-test
    Dana White is not happy with Alistair Overeem and that's putting it mildly. The Saskatoon Star-Phoenix was on a conference call for Canadian media with the UFC president only minutes after he heard the news that his #1 contender had failed a drug test. White didn't pull any punches.

"I am beyond pissed about this. I'm so (expletive) mad right now I can't even begin ...

"The worst part is that he sat in front of us and lied to us (referring to a meeting in the UFC's offices meeting with White and CEO Lorenzo Fertitta, where Overeem insisted he was clean and would pass all drug tests). How (expletive) stupid do you have to be? Seriously dumb. Anybody who's using (performance-enhancing drugs) right now is an absolute (expletive) moron..
    "It's beyond - what's the word I'm looking for - it's beyond belief. It's beyond comprehension. You're an absolute moron, a brain-dead absolute (expletive) dummy. It goes beyond a guy have any common sense whatsoever."
    White told the journalists on the call that it was too soon to announce any changes to the card.
    "I don't have a plan B" he said.
    When asked about Overeem's future with the organization he said, "It doesn't look good, does it? IIt doesn't look good."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Niall0 wrote: »
    <Dana White rant>

Jaysus he really didn't hold back!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,125 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Leeg17 wrote: »
    A very quick scan of this Wiki page show that 1:1 is the average in a population, but that 10:1 isn't relatively uncommon.
    Double negative on purpose?

I don't see where it says that 10-1 is relatively common?

It mentions Landis had a 11-1 sample. But he was doping so kinda irrelevant.

Dana White drops a hint via twitter.

A fan said "Mir should get the shot"

Dana "I don't disagree with you"

Mellor wrote: »
    Double negative on purpose?

I don't see where it says that 10-1 is relatively common?

It mentions Landis had a 11-1 sample. But he was doping so kinda irrelevant.

Yup you're right sorry, shoulda gone to Specsavers (and bed) :o

• Advertisement

Dana White drops a hint via twitter.

A fan said "Mir should get the shot"

Dana "I don't disagree with you"

Doesn't JDS have to agree to the change though? From a striker like Overeem to someone who is one of the best on the ground, not as though it's short notice, JDS still has 7 weeks or so to change his game plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Sh*t, this happening and Mir being the only valid option for a title shot really shows how poor the HW division is compared to the others IMO

Doesn't JDS have to agree to the change though? From a striker like Overeem to someone who is one of the best on the ground, not as though it's short notice, JDS still has 7 weeks or so to change his game plan.
    He has to sign the contract, but "agree" is a bit strong a word. It's not like he has a credible reason to duck the fight. Besides, JDS is one of the best BJJS guys at HW. Would be great for him if he subbed Mir - but I don't think he'd go that route.

He is the champ. And a claim to be the best HW in the world.
    He has to defend the belt. He has fight the No.1 contender.
    I only have 7 weeks isn't going to cut it with anyone really. Its enough time imo. It's not as if he has forgotten his BJJ stuff.

I just noticed that;
    Nelson is now down to fight Mitrione, which moved
    Antonio Silva into the fight with Velasquez, and leave Mir Free.

I'm guessing this happen since the Overeem issue pop up

Announcement shortly imo

He has to sign the contract, but "agree" is a bit strong a word. It's not like he has a credible reason to duck the fight. Besides, JDS is one of the best BJJS guys at HW. Would be great for him if he subbed Mir - but I don't think he'd go that route.

He is the champ. And a claim to be the best HW in the world.
    He has to defend the belt. He has fight the No.1 contender.
    I only have 7 weeks isn't going to cut it with anyone really. Its enough time imo. It's not as if he has forgotten his BJJ stuff.

I just noticed that;
    Nelson is now down to fight Mitrione, which moved
    Antonio Silva into the fight with Velasquez, and leave Mir Free.

I'm guessing this happen since the Overeem issue pop up

Announcement shortly imo

Where is that up?? Don't think an announcement will be tonight as Dana is out on the lash and is pretty wrecked at the moment!!

Also, sure, he does have to agree, he signed a contract to fight Overeem and now that fight is gone he must agree to another opponent.

My mistake, it was on wikipedia and cited UFC.com as a reference.
    I can't open UFC.com but assume the reference was legit becauise it would be edited pretty quick if made up given that 146 is all over the MMA news now.

My mistake, it was on wikipedia and cited UFC.com as a reference.
    I can't open UFC.com but assume the reference was legit becauise it would be edited pretty quick if made up given that 146 is all over the MMA news now.

Just checked UFC.COM and no mention at all of any changes, they still have JDS v Reem up on the fight card

Yeah, relised that once I checked by fone.
    Surprised that it hasn't been fixed yet on wiki. Normally pretty fast when its based aroudn current events

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

JDS v Mir
    Cain v Werdum
    Nelson v Silva

That's how I'd like the card to look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭armitage_skanks

Niall0 wrote: »
    Mir seems like the best choice, Is a testosterone ratio of 10-1 possible without performance enhancers? Maybe hell use the chael sonnen defence (TRT) ?

Its possible but very unlikely. 6:1 was chosen because 5.25 is the 99th percentile.

http://scienceblogs.com/purepedantry/upload/2006/07/te.jpg

We don't know what it was exactly other than over 10:1. Its off that chart quite literally. :pac:

We know Overeem was under 6:1 before because he's been tested a few times recently and didn't fail. T/E ratio is quite stable in an individual over time. So you don't go from under 6:1 to over 10:1 in a few months without an external cause.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 Patrick Quinn

Ush1 wrote: »
    JDS v Mir
    Cain v Werdum
    Nelson v Silva

That's how I'd like the card to look.
    Mir v jds
    and fedor v cain
    Dana has tryed for years to get fedor will this be chance

Advertisement