Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Miss Universe has a little secret...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭batistuta9

whatever about her/him being allowed in miss universe going by the links given their allowed to compete at the olympic's too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

batistuta9 wrote: »
    whatever about her/him being allowed in miss universe going by the links given their allowed to compete at the olympic's too

I hear they are even allowed to use the same water fountains as normals too! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

it would improve peoples quality of life as well though

the state don't pay of contacts afaik & the glasses they pay for i'm not sure if there wareable tbh
    Yes, it would improve people's quality of life. However, there are at least 100,000 (a very conservative guesstimate by myself - search for the correct answer yourself if you like, I'm fairly confident in a country of about 4.5 million it is far larger) who'd probably be eligible for laser eye surgery. Lets say the total cost of the surgery for both eyes is 2000€. A fair estimate. If the state wanted to give laser eye surgery to 100,000 people it'd cost 200,000,000€, or 200 million euro in other words.

I'm fairly sure the state does at least subsidise contact lenses as well. Probably not the disposable sort though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

jumpguy wrote: »
    If the state wanted to give laser eye surgery to 100,000 people it'd cost 200,000,000€, or two billion euro in other words.
    Or in other other words, two hundred million.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭deirdre_dub

You can be born a man with the mind of a woman or visa versa and have a sex change and want to live your life as a woman and believe thats what you are
    If you were born with the mind of a woman, then how is it possible for you to believe that you are anything other than a woman, as the mind is where beliefs reside!

And as for "wanting" to live as a woman - what person born with the mind of a woman wants anything else?! :rolleyes:
    but bottom line is your not a woman your a man who had surgery to look something like a woman.
    That depends on your point of view.

If your point of view is that, say, genetics trump everything, then your statement is true. However, it is unworkable to have that point of view, as there are some people who are genetically XY who naturally develop into biological females, and some people who are genetically XX who naturally develop into biological males.

The only point of view regarding identifying someone's gender that can work consistently is to agree with what the person in question says about their gender.
    Far as im concerned i could not care less how my point of view comes across weather its viewed as ignorance
    It does seem to be based on ignorance on the nature of gender. Can you not see that a view based on ignorance isn't as valid as one based on education?
    I wouldnt even normally be arsed to comment on this kinda crap only for the fact any time the word is mentioned on here the same bloody brigade come out in force and parades THERE problems and forces them on everyone else. You either except us or your wrong.......
    You either accept us or we marginalise you. Why? Because we have to! Our choice is to either marginalise you, or marginalise ourselves. The latter is never going to happen.
    I could not give two ****s if your black white man woman gay straight whatever just dont expect the whole world to want to embrace what you are.
    When the whole world rejects who you are don't come crying to me looking for support...

• Advertisement

Links234 wrote: »
    I hear they are even allowed to use the same water fountains as normals too! :eek:

thank for your smart ass reply

but persons born as men, no matter what operations they've had done or documentation to show their gender should be competing with people born as women at the olympics or vice versa

If your point of view is that, say, genetics trump everything, then your statement is true. However, it is unworkable to have that point of view, as there are some people who are genetically XY who naturally develop into biological females, and some people who are genetically XX who naturally develop into biological males.

so your saying a person born as a male can develop naturally into a female

is this possible?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭dominiquecruz

Theres a lot of things i reckon people feel society would be better off without but wont change much in the end.

No matter what the outcome of this thread will be in the end wont change anything.

The reason I, and many others, get so frustrated with these kind of opinions and the absolute unwillingness to entertain any other side of the argument is because we believe in a socially progressive society, where every individual is entitled to live a life free of discrimination. Their freedom in no way impinges on your own, so why do you let it bother you?

Once upon a time women didn't have equal rights; then black people didn't have equal rights; then gay people didn't have equal rights. Would you prefer to exist in a society where we don't actively try to fight and change this kind of bigotry?? Ultimately, we're just trying to make life easier for everybody, and people like you seem to be doing your damn best (for reasons I can't even comprehend) to prevent this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

grindle wrote: »
    Or in other other words, two hundred million.
    My bad! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

I have just worked my way through the whole thread and, although I didn't really expect much, seeing that this is AH, the level of ignorance, bigotry, derisiveness and plain stupidity is simply astounding.

I have no problem whatsoever with transgender women or their competing in beauty pageants or doing whatever else they want to do and the best of luck to them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭RiseToTheTop

I wonder if they will allow Asian girls in Miss Black America now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

For Asian girls who undergo treatment and operations to become black, why not?

(Asinine analogy, asinine response).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

I'm delighted for the kinda people who sit with their lads in their hands watching this dreck. it's ruined for them.

RichieC wrote: »
    I'm delighted for the kinda people who sit with their lads in their hands watching this dreck. it's ruined for them.

they could put some sort of star of david thing on her/him so people would know when to stop the bashing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

I imagine few of the bigots here care about the sanctity of the Miss Universe pageant. They are just spewing out nonsense without any sense of empathy for others, or knowledge of facts.

It's a beauty pageant, these people are women on every level a contest like this would be judged, there is no reason they should not be allowed enter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

they could put some sort of star of david thing on her/him so people would know when to stop the bashing

A small badge shaped like a penis on their lapel

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

That's the real fear people have about transgender individuals, accidentally finding one hot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

smokedeels wrote: »
    That's the real fear people have about transgender individuals, accidentally finding one hot.

Fear them? More like try and understand why a man would want to undergo surgery and become a woman.

It doesnt make any sense to me. :confused:

IrishAm wrote: »
    Fear them? More like try and understand why a man would want to undergo surgery and become a woman.

Have you done much research on it?

It's very hard to understand it if you feel you've been born into a body that matches your mind.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Sky diving makes no sense to me.

Sky diving makes no sense to me.

Me neither.

It's very hard to understand it if you feel you've been born into a body that matches your mind.

So, its a mental health issue?

No, it's not, as has been pointed out many times already on this thread.
    Why bother staying with the thread if you're not going to take on board the facts that have been provided and consider changing your mind?

You're definitely not going to understand transgender people with such an attitude.

No, it's not, as has been pointed out many times already on this thread.

Your words seemed to indicate that it was.

Ever hear of Mike Penner? He started life as a man, then became a woman, then decided he wanted become a man again!

Your words seemed to indicate that it was.

Ever hear of Mike Penner? He started life as a man, then became a woman, then decided he wanted become a man again!

And he was hardly a typical example of a transgender person. His suicide suggests he had some mental issues: either there were underlying issues that made him confused about his identity (as opposed to being certain he was a woman in a man's body), or else were caused by being a genuine transgender individual in a male-dominated profession.

You can't argue that all transgender people are simply suffering from mental health issues based on his case.

And he was hardly a typical example of a transgender person. His suicide suggests he had some mental issues: either there were underlying issues that made him confused about his identity (as opposed to being certain he was a woman in a man's body), or else were caused by being a genuine transgender individual in a male-dominated profession.

You can't argue that all transgender people are simply suffering from mental health issues based on his case.

I genuinely didnt know he committed suicide. :(
    If I did, I would never have brought his name up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Babybuff

I think the point that you seem to not be able to accept is that gender and sex are different. The sex of an individual is very much physically defined, gender is less so and has more societal and engineered attributes. Gender identity is how a person perceives their gender and role in society, and those characteristics are not physically determined.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

Look the more boobs in the universe the better it is for man kind.

• Advertisement

Babybuff wrote: »
    The sex of an individual is very much physically defined, gender is less so and has more societal and engineered attributes. Gender identity is how a person perceives their gender and role in society, and those characteristics are not physically determined.

You could say the same about nationality. So, lets just say I wanted to become Australian as I felt culturally Australian. Should I just be allowed to change my place of birth on my birth certificate?

Advertisement