Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,247 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Bisping claims he was offered Cung Le but turned it down, then was offered Boetsch.

If this is true then it's a bit odd. Le wasn't much more than an actor by the time he arrived in the UFC, and after getting smashed by Silva he's not relevant at all in the MW division so offering him to a top 5 fighter like Bisping is just silly.

Bisping also claims that Boetsch is a tougher opponent than Munoz, who claimed that he had expected to be offered Bisping. This is posturing by Mike IMO, Munoz is twice the fighter Boetsch is and I would expect him to comfortably decision Bisping. Boetsch on the other hand has only a puncher's chance.

The fact Bisping was offered Le and then Boetsch rather than Munoz tells me that the UFC are itching to get him that elusive title shot sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,157 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Pretty sure Munoz is still injured. Was out until august I read.
    The whole I expected bisping contender fight is posturing on he part. He hasn't gotten doctors clearance to come back early. I'd rather Munoz Bisping, but only so that if Bisping wins it shuts a few more mouths. (not aimed at you btw). I don't think Bisping is the fighter the UK media/UK UFC promo office make him out to be. But I also think he is a far better fighter than the internet gives him credit for.

I also think you are completely underwriting Boetsch. THe MW division isn't the deepest, They need a title eliminator featuring Bisping.

My UFC 185 top 10
    Silva
    Chael
    Munoz - injuried
    Belfort - TUF Brazil - then Wandy (out of my top 10)
    Bisping
    Stann - signed for fight Sakara
    Boetsch
    Belcher - fighting Palhares
    Palhares - ditto
    Weidman

Bisping Munoz is the fight I wanted. But if he's still out then Boetsch is the next best guy availible. He isn't that far down the list. And short of pulling Stann from the co-main event. I don't see who else there was.
    Obviously they would of sat him out. But I don't they its fair to say they are feeding Boestch to him. He was hugely impressive in Japan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

Why do the UFC love Bisping so much? I really don't get it as he's not likeable (which is fine) but he doesn't have the bad boy appeal or presence that Lesnar had. Nor are his fights particularly entertaining. And he really is no where near being a champion. I've also noticed he gets paid a lot more than the other fighters.

Does anyone know? Is it simply PPVs?

Mellor wrote: »
    Pretty sure Munoz is still injured. Was out until august I read.

Bisping vs Boetsch is happening July 7th though. Not the longest stretch to get Bisping to wait?

I don't think Bisping is the fighter the UK media/UK UFC promo office make him out to be. But I also think he is a far better fighter than the internet gives him credit for.

I agree, hence me calling him a top 5 MW.

I also think you are completely underwriting Boetsch. He was hugely impressive in Japan

I totally disagree! He showed great heart and landed some great uppercuts to win the fight. But overall Okami dominated him completely. I see the Bisping fight going the exact same way, Bisping outstriking and outmoving Boetsch from start to finish. Whether that finish comes in the form of a Bisping decision or another epic Boetsch KO is another matter.

However I agree that if Munoz isn't available then Boetsch makes sense. It's the fact that Cung Le was offered first that screams "protect Bisping" at me!

Why do the UFC love Bisping so much? I really don't get it as he's not likeable (which is fine) but he doesn't have the bad boy appeal or presence that Lesnar had. Nor are his fights particularly entertaining. And he really is no where near being a champion. I've also noticed he gets paid a lot more than the other fighters.

I don't think it's PPV related, or he would be looking for a PPV share cut like the bigger names have.

He gets paid a ton because of his marketability in the UK, and also because simply put, he keeps winning. The fact that he keeps winning partly because the UFC have fed him more cans than a Heinz factory helps...

• Advertisement

PPVs aren't disclosed. I think you are refering to the earnings for one of the years, he was near the top. He fought 3 tiems that year compared to 1 or 2 for others, plus he had a run where he was main or co-main event. English cards, both Oz PPV cards. There's few non champions in so many main events in that period. Which inflates his "ranking"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Rogan prob got paranoia after his statement, not unusual for someone who smokes as much as he does I'd say.

I'd quite happily watch UFC with a different commentating team, Goldie in fairness is worse than Rogan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Niall0

Busing vs okami would have been a decent fight too, I guess they don't want to give him another wrestler yet.

Niall0 wrote: »
    Busing vs okami would have been a decent fight too, I guess they don't want to give him another wrestler yet.

I don't think we can really lump Bisping into the category of mAny British fighters who can't handle a wrestler anymore. Sonnen and Evans beat him but both were very close and he certainly wasn't dominated by their wrestling.

I think he's more in danger from a power striker. Bisping wins fights with technical striking but against someone who can KO him while being jabbed to death it mY be different. That's why I think Boetsch has a chance, he hits hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Niall0 wrote: »

I don't think we can really lump Bisping into the category of mAny British fighters who can't handle a wrestler anymore. Sonnen and Evans beat him but both were very close and he certainly wasn't dominated by their wrestling.

I think he's more in danger from a power striker. Bisping wins fights with technical striking but against someone who can KO him while being jabbed to death it mY be different. That's why I think Boetsch has a chance, he hits hard.
    Didn't okami completly outclass boetsch in the stand up. Boetsch looked terrible to me apart from the very end of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Yeah Boetsch was terrible. I've no idea why people have this hard-on for him all of a sudden because anyone who saw that fight should know that it was one of the most one-sided fights i've ever seen until Boetsch turned it around. Up until then Okami was smashing him to pieces.

Having said that, Boetsch is SO strong, especially at MW. He'll have to close the distance against Bisping because Bisping's stand up is pretty decent, way too good for Boetsch IMO.

I seriously can't see past a Bisping win here. Boetsch has been made look ordinary by ordinary fighters before. Bisping is a step above ordinary.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭weemcd

:rolleyes: perfect english^^

weemcd wrote: »
    :rolleyes: perfect english^^

Would've been so much better had they not made a balls of the dubbing. Still a cool at though

MrStuffins wrote: »

I seriously can't see past a Bisping win here. Boetsch has been made look ordinary by ordinary fighters before. Bisping is a step above ordinary.

He did look very ordinary against Okami and Okami deserves a rematch after Bisping outpoints him. He has a punchers chance but that's about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

Jesus busy day for MMA fighters in court today. King Mo feels hard done by http://www.twitlonger.com/show/glsg0h says he was asked if he could read or speak English. I was really surprised to hear he got done, if anyone has ever heard him in an interview he talks so intelligently about fights but also the behind the scenes of the fight game. I'd love to know the full story here.

Yeah Boetsch was terrible. I've no idea why people have this hard-on for him all of a sudden because anyone who saw that fight should know that it was one of the most one-sided fights i've ever seen until Boetsch turned it around. Up until then Okami was smashing him to pieces.

Having said that, Boetsch is SO strong, especially at MW. He'll have to close the distance against Bisping because Bisping's stand up is pretty decent, way too good for Boetsch IMO.

Boetsch has poor striking from a technical POV.
    But he has Ko power, and is pretty solid. For those reasons i think he is a treat to a lot of people at the top of the MW bracket. People like bisping, Stann, Okami etc. They waltz around him easily for 15 minutes. But he can land the winner at any point, which is why I rate him in the top 10 and a decent stepping stone to top 3 if Bisping can win impressively.

Boetsch has poor striking from a technical POV.
    But he has Ko power, and is pretty solid. For those reasons i think he is a treat to a lot of people at the top of the MW bracket. People like bisping, Stann, Okami etc. They waltz around him easily for 15 minutes. But he can land the winner at any point, which is why I rate him in the top 10 and a decent stepping stone to top 3 if Bisping can win impressively.

Putting a guy who has such poor skills as Boetsch, poor striking, slow but powerful and with a puncher's chance, in the Top 10 really isn't a reflection of Boetsch being a top fighter, but the MW division being as deep as the lyrics of a Black Eyed Peas song.

Xlami wrote: »
    Jesus busy day for MMA fighters in court today. King Mo feels hard done by http://www.twitlonger.com/show/glsg0h says he was asked if he could read or speak English. I was really surprised to hear he got done, if anyone has ever heard him in an interview he talks so intelligently about fights but also the behind the scenes of the fight game. I'd love to know the full story here.

Well one thing is for sure at the moment, King Mo's next fight won't be under the Zuffa banner. He's been cut

King Mo has been cut by Zuffa

No idea if it has anything to do with Twitter, but playing the race card for something like that is pretty pathetic!

Putting a guy who has such poor skills as Boetsch, poor striking, slow but powerful and with a puncher's chance, in the Top 10 really isn't a reflection of Boetsch being a top fighter, but the MW division being as deep as the lyrics of a Black Eyed Peas song.
    The MW pool is very shallow. I said that at the start.
    But thats a different issue. He is top 10 at the minute. It's not Bisping's fault that the top 10 isn't stacked. Bisping deserves a shot if he wins there imo.

Well one thing is for sure at the moment, King Mo's next fight won't be under the Zuffa banner. He's been cut

King Mo has been cut by Zuffa

No idea if it has anything to do with Twitter, but playing the race card for something like that is pretty pathetic!

Says there he was cut because of twitter comments. He was already in trouble for testing positive for steroids. Singling out a member of the NSAC as a "racist bitch" in that situation was pretty stupid.

The product he was taking was marketed as a "proformance anabolic" or some such nonsense. He defense is that he didn't know it contained that steroid. Her reply, "why didn't you reserch the label" and "can you not read [the label]", seems pretty reasonable to me. I don't see where race coems into it.

If i'm making 6 figures per fight. I make sure i make sure I know whats in random supps I'm buying (if his story is even legit)

• Advertisement

I googled the product he said "contained" a banned ingredient. The label details are below. Its not a protein gainer or a PWO that has trace amounts of a banned subtance. It's simply steroids. Nothing else. Even glancing at the label would give that away. The manufacturer isn't saying its anything else.

I don't believe anybody could take this by accident. Prob a small cycle to cut weight, but PEDs are PEDs.
    Supplement Facts:
    Serving Size: 1 Capsule
    Serving Per: 60
    Amount Per Serving
    4-Chloro-17a-Methyl-a-andro4-ene3, 17b-diol 25mg
    2a-17a-Dimethyl-5aandrost-3-one17b-ol 10mg

Other Ingerdients:
    Gelatin, Silica, Magnesium Stearate

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭weemcd

Anyone else fed up with Roy Nelson? or even Roy Nelson at HW?

Interview with Dana said a move to LHW is off the cards even though White had previously wanted him to move down before and get into shape.

I can see his fight with Big Foot look like a carbon copy of all his fights, ie. him taking an absolute battering... it's bad for his health 1) to be that overweight and 2) take a beating from such athletic guys. Looks bad for the sport imo.

(this has not me disliking Nelson in anyway, he seems like an absolute gent, but I am not interested in watching him fight any longer, he remains in the promotion because he is marketable)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

LINK
    Former Strikeforce middleweight champion Jake Shields has been a welterweight for most of his career, but undoubtedly had his most success in a brief stint at middleweight in 2009-10. And it appears he will be going back up to 185 for his next fight. The move was announced on last night's episode of UFC Tonight on Fuel, and UFC.com put out a brief blurb about it as well:
    According to a report on FUEL TV's UFC Tonight Tuesday, former UFC welterweight title challenger Jake Shields is moving up to the 185-pound division later this year.

The Californian is no stranger to middleweight though, having won a Strikeforce title there, and among his victims in the division are Dan Henderson Jason Miller, and Robbie Lawler. Shields is coming off a UFC 144 win over Yoshihiro Akiyama in February.
    Shields (27-5-1) has talked about putting on muscle to aid in his switch to middleweight, and would like to fight in August according to the report. He has fought four times in the UFC at 170, going 2-2, which included a title shot at UFC 129 against George St. Pierre that he lost. He is currently ranked at number 8 in the USA Today/SB Nation Consensus Rankings at welterweight.
    He obviously feels that his game is better suited to middleweight, but he's still quite small for the division. Ryan Jimmo talked on twitter about training with Shields, and figured he was 190 pounds or so. Still, it's hard to argue with past success and we'll find out soon enough if it was a successful move or not.

I think this could be a good move for Shields. He hasn't had much success at Welterweight so maybe a change will be good for him. I think he may need to work on his stand-up a bit first though and he seems a little bit on the small side for MW although he did have success there in Strikeforce.

Given the current style of fighters in MW. A bigger stronger shields does better there than at WW verses Diaz, Conduit, GSP etc.

Shields Mayham rematch :D

Given the current style of fighters in MW. A bigger stronger shields does better there than at WW verses Diaz, Conduit, GSP etc.

Shields Mayham rematch :D

Also it's a MUCH shallower division.

I wouldn't be surprised if they stick him and Hendo in a rematch!

Also it's a MUCH shallower division.

I wouldn't be surprised if they stick him and Hendo in a rematch!
    He only make the cut to 185 for Silva. Even If Chael wins he isn't interest in that title shot. And still only wants to fight Anderson at 185.

He's pretty much next in lien at 205, so unless he holds a grudge with Shields I can't see him bothered.

Tough sell from the UFCs point of view. The 205 No.1 contender vrs a guy who was 2-2 at WW. Obviously, educated fans know the history. I'm talking in terms of te PPV buying masses.

Brock returned to the WWE tonight.
    It was widely known it was going to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

• Registered Users Posts: 8,005 ✭✭✭threeball

Brock returned to the WWE tonight.
    It was widely known it was going to happen.

Couldn't stick the heat, made his excuses and ran.
    Can be a champion in the world of make believe again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

threeball wrote: »
    Couldn't stick the heat, made his excuses and ran.
    Can be a champion in the world of make believe again.

Stupid comment, he was UFC heavyweight champion as well. That deserves some respect.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement