Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,673 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Normally I'd be against a full HW card as they can be pretty awful (proElites hw tourament a few months ago) but when you look at the actual fighters like Mellor did I think its pretty exciting, some really good guys there

• Registered Users Posts: 29,590 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Really looking forward to the all HW main card. Mir has some nice odds, might throw some money down. Although, only way he wins this is if he manages to get it to the ground, no way he's gonna out box Cain and he's chin won't be able to keep up. Would love to see him get another title shot though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Really looking forward to the all HW main card. Mir has some nice odds, might throw some money down. Although, only way he wins this is if he manages to get it to the ground, no way he's gonna out box Cain and he's chin won't be able to keep up. Would love to see him get another title shot though.

Mir was very nearly KO'd by Nog last time. The only reason he survived was Nog stopped hitting him and went for a sub and ended up getting subbed himself.
    Cain won't be so forgiving. I can see him KO'ing Mir in the first round in this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,590 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Dean09 wrote: »
    Mir was very nearly KO'd by Nog last time. The only reason he survived was Nog stopped hitting him and went for a sub and ended up getting subbed himself.
    Cain won't be so forgiving. I can see him KO'ing Mir in the first round in this one.

Ya he was poxed against Nog, it was an excellent sub an all but Nog should have just finished the fight with strikes. Mir will buckle with any kind of punches from cain either boxing or in the clinch. He gets too relaxed in the cage and that might be okay if you can take a punch or two but Cain has incredible fists so hopefully Mir has some kind of a plan going into this. I'll be rooting for Mir but really can't see it happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

Hoping for Mir sub, betting on Cain KO ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭loremolis

Anyone got any thoughts on the Overeem v Dos Santos fight.

I ss that Paddypower has JDS as the 5/6 favourite while Overeem is about 13/8.

I would have thought that Overeem would be a serious threat to JDS.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

loremolis wrote: »
    Anyone got any thoughts on the Overeem v Dos Santos fight.

I ss that Paddypower has JDS as the 5/6 favourite while Overeem is about 13/8.

I would have thought that Overeem would be a serious threat to JDS.

It is quite a tough fight to call i think. Both of them fight with a style that allow the other to be comfortable, I don't foresee too many takedown attempts happening.

For some reason Overeem has been a bit combo shy lately, but i imagine that is largely down to fighting guys who would like to ground the fight...himself and JDS will hopefully put on quite a display of striking.

This is probably a case of best chin wins I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

So Dampage has pulled out, hardly unexpected, mouthing off to fcuk then pulling out.

http://bjpenn.com/mmanews/2012/03/15/quick-twitt-rampage-needs-double-knee-surgery-shogun-fight-on-hold-17006.html

• Registered Users Posts: 47 mufc2011

let rampage off hes to predictable dodge his right hand and left hook and you win..ufc 146 has to be a success hws sometimes put on bad fights but this card is stacked with finishers..have to give overeem the edge tho noone in ufc has fought a guy with such a strong kickboxing base hes a beast

You can bet this fight won't happen.
    He'll take forever to heal and by that time Shogun will either be injured himself or unavailable to fight for some reason. I can't imagine Shogun wanting to sit around waiting for Rampage to get fit.
    This will probably drag on for a while and he'll either fight Forrest Griffin or somebody like that, or he'll just be released from his contract.

• Advertisement

Sonnen is 2/1 on Paddypower so snap that up while it's going. That's pretty good value, he's got a better chance than most have had.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

dojojoe wrote: »
    Sonnen is 2/1 on Paddypower so snap that up while it's going. That's pretty good value, he's got a better chance than most have had.

This might seem like a retarded statement so apologies but...... I don't think 2/1 represents great value.

Even though Sonnen dominates last time out, I just don't think this rematch is gonna go the same way.

Silva by severe brutality!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,157 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

2/1 isn't value imo.

He isn't more than 33% chance to win. If he was 4/1 it'd be value.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

MrStuffins wrote: »
    This might seem like a retarded statement so apologies but...... I don't think 2/1 represents great value.

Even though Sonnen dominates last time out, I just don't think this rematch is gonna go the same way.

Agree with that.

The more and more I watch the first fight and especially after watching the Like Water documentary, I think Silva only wanted to submit him the whole fight.

I reckon this time, Chaels head is gonna be target practice.

MrStuffins wrote: »

Ah I'd agree that Silva has it this time out, but the odds on sonnen are going to go a lot lower closer to the fight imo.

I reckon another highlight reel KO ala Belfort.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Jim Carrey back at MW to take on Cung Le
    Rich Franklin Meets Cung Le at UFC 148 in July

Let the stand-up war begin.

Two former champions with a penchant for knockouts will meet at UFC 148 as Rich Franklin meets Cung Le.

Verbal agreements are in place for the fight according to UFC officials.

It’s been over a year since former UFC middleweight champion Rich Franklin stepped foot in the Octagon due to shoulder surgery that sidelined the Cincinnati native.
    http://www.mmaweekly.com/rich-franklin-meets-cung-le-at-ufc-148-in-july

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

UFC on Fx 3 - Guida vs. Maynard:
    Former UFC No. 1 lightweight contender Gray Maynard will face Clay Guida in a five-round main event June 22 in Atlantic City, N.J., UFC announced Sunday on its website.

The bout, which will air on FX, marks Maynard's first Octagon appearance since Oct. 8 when he suffered a fourth-round knockout to then-titleholder Frankie Edgar. It was the second time in a row that Maynard (10-1-1) failed to lift the belt from Edgar.

In their previous title bout at UFC 125 on Jan. 1, 2011, Edgar and Maynard battled to a draw.

Source

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

A continuation from two posts up, another few fights announced..
    Verbal agreements are in for three fantastic bouts for this year's Fourth of July weekend event, slated for July 7 in Las Vegas.

Former UFC middleweight champion Rich "Ace" Franklin will return to 185 to take on former Strikeforce champion Cung Le.

In another middleweight matchup, top ten middleweights Tim "The Barbarian" Boetsch and Michael "The Count" Bisping will square off in a battle that could have major implications for the 185 title picture.

Bantamweight Renan Barao has the greatest unbeaten streak in the sport -- a staggering 31 straight fights -- and he'll gun for another when he faces Jeff "Hellbound" Hougland at UFC 148. Unbeaten since 2003, Hougland is looking for his 10th straight victory and a spot in the upper rankings of the bantamweight division.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Boetsch and Bisping is an interesting one. Kinda leaning towards Bisping unless Boetsch goes mad like in the Okami fight :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

Liking that the ace is going back to MW. thought he had to much of a disadvantage at LHW. hopefully he can climb the ladder just can't see him beating the spider

• Advertisement

People tend to underestimate good aul Rich! I actually think a fit Rich Franklin would still be one of the top MWs in the world. The guy's fought everybody and continues to fight everybody! I'd love to see him in the mix

He's getting nowhere near Silva though!

He was less than impressive vrs Forrest. Was there an injury issue there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

Tito Ortiz will conclude his heated trilogy with Forrest Griffin at UFC 148. Ortiz announced the bout late Monday night via Twitter.

Link

• Registered Users Posts: 12,247 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Mellor wrote: »
    He was less than impressive vrs Forrest. Was there an injury issue there?

The issue was that Forrest is a big hoore of a LHW and Rich is a big MW!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 381 ✭✭manga_10

I like the rubber match between these two. Good way to finish titos career, and guage where Forrest stands in his
    DrPhilG wrote: »
    The issue was that Forrest is a big hoore of a LHW and Rich is a big MW!

Good point

LINK
    For those wondering what was next for Jake Ellenberger and Martin Kampmann, you now have an answer, courtesy of FX's the Ultimate Fighter website:
    Two top welterweights will wage war over five rounds in the TUF Live Finale main event, UFC president Dana White announced today.
    Verbal agreements are in for a June 1 matchup between Martin "The Hitman" Kampmann will take on Jake "The Juggernaut" Ellenberger.
    Ellenberger (27-5) is coming off a decision victory against Diego Sanchez, which was awarded the Fight of the Night and subsequent bonus. Kampmann (19-5) touts a late submission victory over Thiago Alves, which earned him the Submission of the Night bonus. With this five round battle of recent event headliners now set, both men are likely thinking about title shots after this fight - although neither will be an easy obstacle for the other to overcome.
    As a TUF Finale main event, this is likely to end the night on a terrific note although neither Ellenberger nor Kampmann are involved in the filming of either FX's TUF or Brazil's TUF

This should be a great fight. Ellenberger is deserving of a title shot imo but after this whoever wins should definitely get a shot at the interim belt. This has war written all over it.

LINK

This should be a great fight. Ellenberger is deserving of a title shot imo but after this whoever wins should definitely get a shot at the interim belt. This has war written all over it.

I think Jake's wrestling and strength will be too much for Kampmann.

Will be pulling for MK though!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

LINK

I don't think it will be interim at that stage. Condit is holding out for GSP at 154 in Montreal I'd say.

• Advertisement

Apparently Joe Rogan had a good 'ol rant on his podcast about the FOX producers telling him to tone it down a bit. Here's what he said:
    I've been doing the UFC for how long? F-ing, who knows? 97'. It's very rare that anyone ever says anything. But, once we started going on FOX, the producer actually had to tell me in my ear, the FOX executive was like, 'Tell him to take it down a notch.'
    You can't tell me to deliver the way I deliver. I've been doing it forever. They either like it or they don't. Most people like it. If you don't-tough s-. It doesn't sound like your f-ing baseball guys, your basketball guys-it's not supposed to. It's not. It's not supposed to. It's a different f-ing sport, and it's just the way I do it.

Now this is pretty much a non-story but I think Rogan seriously needs to think before he speaks. I know he was probably baked on his podcast but he could find himself in trouble if he doesn't watch what he says in front of FOX.

I think he realised this himself then and seriously back-peddled on twitter with the following 3 tweets:
    I said on the podcast today about someone from FOX asking me to take my commentary down a notch, in all fairness it only happened once.
    Also, in all fairness it was the first time the UFC aired on FOX and everyone was completely stressed out and trying to make the best show
    I'm pretty spoiled working for the UFC where they pretty much just let me go and do my thing. It's the best job situation on earth for me.

Either he was told to stfu or he tried to get in there and apologise before he got into trouble!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement