Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Mellor wrote: »
    Different AC so doesnt mean much really. Plus it was his first time, Diaz failed before.

Well I didn't mention Nick Diaz, but while we're on the subject, Nick Diaz was banned for 6 months for his first offence.

I don't think it's normal practice to get a pass for any failed drug test, first offence of not.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,247 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Griffin didn't get a pass. He was suspended as per usual, but the Comission didn't release the information or share it with other ACs. It's more an issue with the Michigan AC being a joke than anything else. Although the question has been asked, why didn't the UFC release the info. They claim it was on the direction of the AC.
    The Michigan Commission found traces of a banned substance in Mr Griffin's post-fight urine analysis following his bout at UFC 123. The Commission fined and suspended Mr Griffin, but did not make this information public.

As always the UFC followed the directive of the sanctioning Commission. Mr Griffin did not compete in the UFC again until after his suspension had ended.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/3/10/2859767/ufc-response-tyson-griffin-marijuana-suspension

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭OrgasmicBaz

Mir v Velasquez should be a good fight, Velasquez 2nd round KO. Tim Sylvia should be giving another chance IMO, especially if they have the likes of Roy Nelson, Pat Barry and Cheick Kongo in the division. These guys are no better than Sylvia

Has anyone heard any rumours of UFC coming back over to Dublin,been a good 2,3 years now since they were last over...

Has anyone heard any rumours of UFC coming back over to Dublin,been a good 2,3 years now since they were last over...

Yeah they'll be here for Paddys Day!

340305.png&size=600x564

• Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Mir v Velasquez should be a good fight, Velasquez 2nd round KO. Tim Sylvia should be giving another chance IMO, especially if they have the likes of Roy Nelson, Pat Barry and Cheick Kongo in the division. These guys are no better than Sylvia
    I think the difference between those guys and Tim Sylvia is they can put on exciting fights and they actually have personalities whereas Sylvia is a bit boring. Plus the fact he has been bouncing around from promotion to promotion and not beating high level competition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

The main thing i think that Big Timmy has going against him is that a lot of his fights were quite boring.

I think it would be different if he had a hugely exciting highlight reel behind him but he doesn't. It was largely the same thing in all his fights and I think for most MMA fans of the time the most exciting thing was watching him lose...which seemed to happen in far more exciting fashion than his wins, be it Randy decisioning him after 25 tense minutes or Mir snapping his arm.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Tweet from Marcus Davis just caught my attention
    follow @PrimalFightingDublin for updates & info on my K1 title fight May 6 in Ireland
    Info anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭OrgasmicBaz

I think it would be different if he had a hugely exciting highlight reel behind him but he doesn't. It was largely the same thing in all his fights and I think for most MMA fans of the time the most exciting thing was watching him lose...which seemed to happen in far more exciting fashion than his wins, be it Randy decisioning him after 25 tense minutes or Mir snapping his arm.

I agree with you there alright, but he should be giving a one fight contract see how he does and if he loses then Dana White would be right about him.

Also since Tito & Rampage are having one last fight in the UFC i think it would be fitting for these two lads to fight one another. The fight will sell as they are arguably two of the most popular MMA fighters ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭weemcd

Also since Tito & Rampage are having one last fight in the UFC i think it would be fitting for these two lads to fight one another. The fight will sell as they are arguably two of the most popular MMA fighters ever.

the two are very close friends and would not fight at this stage unless it was for a belt, which is not going to happen

Nah, f*ck Tito v Rampage, nobody wants to see that. I'm much more interested on Tito v Griffin 3 and Rampage v Shogun!

I read recently that Rampage doesn't even want his "last fight", he'd rather be released in order to continue his career elsewhere. He's fallen out with the UFC brass and thinks they've treated him badly! He says he's fallen out of love with the sport and its their fault!

A lot of this could be true, but a lot of it could be Rampage being a giant baby as he often is! In any case, I can't be arsed watching him fight anymore, unless he gets in against Shogun!

He's been irrelevant as a "Top" fighter for a while now. He's been feeding off his past and the occasional win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Tweet from Marcus Davis just caught my attention

Info anyone?

He is fighting for the iska k1 title in the national basketball arena, may 6th i think.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,157 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

:pac::)
    MrStuffins wrote: »
    I read recently that Rampage doesn't even want his "last fight", he'd rather be released in order to continue his career elsewhere. He's fallen out with the UFC brass and thinks they've treated him badly! He says he's fallen out of love with the sport and its their fault!

A lot of this could be true, but a lot of it could be Rampage being a giant baby as he often is!

Rampage has lost 3 out of 5. And one win was very very close. His most recent proformance was he career worst. He missed weight by 6 lbs.

Rampage turned his back on the UFC and backed out of the Evans fight to film the A team. And not jsut the UFC, his fans. The original fight was scheduled for his hometown.

After he lost his belt to Griffin, he want on a bender on the streets. Driving his pick-up over on he wrong side of the road, up on pavements, hit a two cars and drove off, cops pulled him over, he didn't stop, nearly hit some people. Eventually arrested jailed. Dana flew up to post bail.
    He was in court on felony charges, and got off due to community service. Through all this the UFC stood by him.

But yeah, what ever you say Rampage, they treated you badly...:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭p to the e

Nah, f*ck Tito v Rampage, nobody wants to see that. I'm much more interested on Tito v Griffin 3 and Rampage v Shogun!

Was Tito vs. Rich Franklin not being touted for a while? Whatever came of that?

p to the e wrote: »
    Was Tito vs. Rich Franklin not being touted for a while? Whatever came of that?

IIRC, Franklin had surgery not too long ago and itns't scheduled to be back until the back end of the summer.

Also, I think they touted Tito v Franklin but Tito said he wanted one last fight and he wanted it to be Griffin.

Bit of an interesting move here by the UFC. Not only are they looking to prosecute websites for illegally streaming events, they are going after individual people who watched the events.
    I don't know how practical it is to try prosecute all these people as there would be thousands of people watching these streams at any given time and I can't imagine them getting everybody. Maybe they'll try to make an example of a few people just to deter others from streaming the fights.
    It'll be a story to follow anyway.

LINKY
    There is an interesting bit of news over at the Wrestling Observer where they are reporting that the UFC intends to go after individuals who watch illegal streams of events, not just the websites that host the streams. This is unusual for pay-per-view event copyright cases, which almost always focus on the hosting site.
    Here's the info from the Wrestling Observer:
    As part of legal action against the web site www.greenfeedz.com, which streamed UFC 130 to 142 illegally and was threatened with legal action, Zuffa was able to obtain e-mail addresses, user names, and each individual event streamed as well as IP addresses of everyone who watched an event through that web site and will be legally going after the individual consumers for copyright violations.
    So basically, if you were registered on that site and watched an event, the UFC now has your information and will be looking to take legal action against you.
    I'd be lying if I said I had much insight into what exact damages the UFC could go after in these cases, but this is clearly going to serve as a major deterrent to individuals to look for streams online going forward.
    Honestly, this is a much more appropriate response for them in terms of action against piracy than ideas like supporting SOPA and will be a story that we'll have to keep our eyes on in the future.

Looks like all wishes are now granted. Cmon Shogun!!
    Dana White: Rampage Jackson's Last UFC Fight Will Be Against Shogun Rua
    Mar 13, 2012 - Quinton "Rampage" Jackson wants out of the UFC. It looks like he'll get his wish, but not before fulfilling the last fight on his current deal.

According to a report on Tuesday's edition of FUEL TV's "UFC Tonight," Jackson and the UFC have agreed to part ways after Jackson faces Mauricio "Shogun" Rua later this year.
    http://www.mmafighting.com/2012/3/13/2869566/dana-white-rampage-jacksons-last-ufc-fight-will-be-against-shogun-rua

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

I wish Rampage luck with his rapping and acting career...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I wish Rampage luck with his raping and acting career...

Fixed that for ya ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

scudzilla wrote: »
    Fixed that for ya ;)

Haha made me LOL in public. (A Costa Cafe in China which makes me look even weirder - people were already staring at me!)

Bad last fight for Rampage imo. I think Shogun takes this all day long based on Rampages recent performances.

• Advertisement

Dean09 wrote: »
    Bad last fight for Rampage imo. I think Shogun takes this all day long based on Rampages recent performances.

Yeah but don't worry, Rampage will still have big fights people wanna see!

Imagine it now........ Redneck Brawling Championship, headline fight, Rampage v Keith Jardine!!!!!!!!!!!

Then after he beats Jardine, he can have a rubber match with Marvin Eastman!

Can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Hope Shogun batters him but don't know if he's capable. Both guys are on the downward slide I reckon.

Maia after announcing on Twitter that hes dropping to 170

Maia after announcing on Twitter that hes dropping to 170

If he goes back to his jiu jitsu and sticks to that he could have some good success at 170. In his last couple of fights he tried to stand and strike with guys and his stand up just isn't up to scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭The Bored One

Ush1 wrote: »
    Hope Shogun batters him but don't know if he's capable. Both guys are on the downward slide I reckon.

Rampage definitely hasn't seemed like his head been in the game on his last few outings. And his latest comments do seem to reflect on that.
    Shogun on the other hand still seems to have desire but he just doesn't seem to be in the same sorta shape as he used to be. He was always that intense engergetic young fighter, but I don't think he can rely on possessing that anymore. I still think he's able to get his conditioning and fitness sorted though.

UFC just confirmed Mark Hunt v Stefan Struve at UFC 146 which is ok but.......... that means the entire Main Card that night will be HW fights!

A night full of Hw fights....... i'm not so sure!

UFC just confirmed Mark Hunt v Stefan Struve at UFC 146 which is ok but.......... that means the entire Main Card that night will be HW fights!

I cant shake the feeling thats been done in the ufc before but I cant remember when :/
    I remember a couple of strikeforce cards like that (like the 1st gp card)

I cant shake the feeling thats been done in the ufc before but I cant remember when :/
    I remember a couple of strikeforce cards like that (like the 1st gp card)

It's the first time in UFC history according to a few of the articles I was reading about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Yeah but don't worry, Rampage will still have big fights people wanna see!

Imagine it now........ Redneck Brawling Championship, headline fight, Rampage v Keith Jardine!!!!!!!!!!!

Then after he beats Jardine, he can have a rubber match with Marvin Eastman!

Can't wait!

To be honest, i'll be glad to see the back of Rampage. It's a shame as he was one of my favourites in Pride but the endless moaning and whiney and childish attitude that has slowly become more prominent over his time with the UFC has really made me dislike the guy.

His desire to just plod around until someone gift wraps their chin for him is tired as well, hopefully he brings it in the Shogun fight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,157 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I don't know. I think I like it.
    I like when matches between contenders sync up. It means that they have the same time to recover, and a division progress together.

I wouldn't like it if they put on a pseudo HW card. Making up a card with HW bouts for the sake of it, undercard fighters etc. But these are mostly main card fights.

Junior Dos Santos vs. Alistair Overeem and Cain Velasquez vs. Frank Mir are the top 4 in the division for me.
    Roy Nelson isn't a contender atm. But he is a solid HW and a main card fighter. losing here and he drops to LHW imo.
    Bigfoot isn't top 10 imo, but he is a SF crossover and has a high profile. Having him debut on the card with the above is a good thing for comparing standard.
    Mark Hunt has been gold lately. no complaints there and hope he gets another W.
    Stefan Struve a bit of a HW benchmark. But at the same time, isn't here just to make up numbers.
    Gabriel Gonzaga had a ropey spell but he earned a spot on a main card. Could potentially see him fighting top 5 after this.
    Shane del Rosario, another debut. but he is 11-0 in SF and M-1. Makes sense to display the potential in new fighters.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement