Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

News and views on Greystones harbour and marina [SEE MODERATOR WARNING POST 1187]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭F3

Dear Friends, we have enjoyed 12 months of interactive and progressive conversations of news and views on Greystones Harbour and Marina in this thread. We look forward to seeing the community support GUBOH this evening.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭LifeBeginsAt40

Re: Mr Diamond,

That was exactly my point with reference to the landscaping.

There is NO way in a million years that land will be properly developed in the near future. We're not talking spending €€€€ we are talking a temporary measure that would be both pleasing to the eye and beneficial for the tourists.

Sitting in offices arguing over the land use is not actually doing much for the eyesore!

As per above I also have recently moved to the area and would rather walk through a path on a grassy meadow then look at barren waste land.

I really do appreciate the tremendous efforts put in by the residents of Greystones and I would be happy to lend muscle to the effort.

I'll be happy when the apartments get built, but seriously folks that's not going to be in 2012 is it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fiachra2

The meeting with Greystones Town Council was very successful.
    GUBOH asked the Council to write to Sispar requesting that they engage with the community to agree a program of landscaping and improvements at the harbour. It was also asked that this program would as a minimum involve:
    • Grading and seeding the area north of the harbour
    • Opening up the north pier
    • Removing all unnecessary fencing
    • Making the whole harbour accessible to local and visiting boats as a matter of urgency

The Council agreed to convey this proposal in writing to Sispar but also to ask them to attend the next council meeting.

Councillors Kelleher and Hayden vigourously opposed the request as did Cllr Mitchell. However it went to a vote and was passed 6-3

I think this is a great outcome and given the statements that were made it is clear that most of the councillors understand the community's concerns and are prepared to act on them. For this they are to be thanked.

GUBOH will issue a press release in due course.

A different take on the meeting referred to in may earlier post. Taken from:

http://www.greystonesguide.ie/hayden-criticises-gpdaguboh-for-yet-another-long-list-of-insatiable-demands/

Those of you who joined the GUBOH facebook group will be happy to know that you apparently no longer exist as there are only 10 of us. (see para 2).

Councillor Ciarán Hayden has criticised GPDA/GUBOH for producing yet another long list of insatiable demands to be put to Sispar. At last night’s Town Council meeting a delegation of Harbour protesters produced another long list of demands all of which had been answered in great detail at the March Harbour Liaison meeting. The list contained many unworkable demands including opening the North breakwater and seeding the area reserved for housing. The protest group had these demands answered in great detail by Sispar and Wicklow County Council not two weeks ago.

Cllr Hayden said after the meeting, “what we have seen here tonight is another attempt in a long list of attempts to discredit Sispar and their partners in moving forward with this development. This protest group is now down to about a hard core of ten dissenters, mostly staunch original objectors to the harbour plan, determined to drive Sispar out of town. This group is about constant negativity and they would run to the top of Everest to find something negative if they thought it was there. A list of things are conceded to the community and then this lot are back for more – they are insatiable”

It was decided by the Council, on a vote of six to three, to water down the unworkable demands and replace them with a letter that has the demands attached, but in no way expressed the views of the Council, and invites Sispar to the next meeting of the Town Council. The vote came after Cllr Kathleen Kelleher had tried, in vain, to table an alternative motion that would require two votes.

Cllr Hayden finished up by saying “it was incredible to see six Councillors, some with long experience, voting to attach a document to a letter that they have never read. Unfortunately some Councillors set about playing to the gallery last night instead of concentrating on the real issues. It is a disgrace that Cllr Kelleher’s attempts to table an alternative motion were completely ignored by the Mayor ”

Cllrs Hayden, Mitchell and Kelleher voted against the proposal

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

I attended the Council Meeting last evening as a neutral observer. It was nice to see democracy at work.
    Now it is time for GUBOH to have a public meeting and have a democratic election of officers who will carry on the democratic wishes of its members.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 274 ✭✭The Durutti Column

Fiachra2 wrote: »
    A different take on the meeting referred to in may earlier post. Taken from: http://www.greystonesguide.ie/hayden-criticises-gpdaguboh-for-yet-another-long-list-of-insatiable-demands/

Those of you who joined the GUBOH facebook group will be happy to know that you apparently no longer exist as there are only 10 of us.

Cllr Hayden said after the meeting, “what we have seen here tonight is another attempt in a long list of attempts to discredit Sispar and their partners in moving forward with this development. This protest group is now down to about a hard core of ten dissenters, mostly staunch original objectors to the harbour plan, determined to drive Sispar out of town. This group is about constant negativity and they would run to the top of Everest to find something negative if they thought it was there. A list of things are conceded to the community and then this lot are back for more – they are insatiable”

Cllrs Hayden, Mitchell and Kelleher voted against the proposal

All the more reason to show up these three amigos by holding a massive public meeting. It seems logical to do so before the next Town Council meeting, which the co-developers Sispar and WCC will attend, so that we can show them very clearly what the community thinks, and what we want.

If everyone who joined GUBOH via Facebook came along, that would be almost 800 people — 7,890 more than Mr Hayden suggests, and certainly a lot more than the few hundred who voted him onto the TC some years back.

His statement is absurd, as usual. A new and long list of additional demands? Rubbish. As Fiachra2 explained above, it was a repeat of what GUBOH has been seeking since this time last year but which Sispar have been refusing:
    Sispar to engage with the community to agree a program of landscaping and improvements at the harbour. It was also asked that this program would as a minimum involve:
    • Grading and seeding the area north of the harbour
    • Opening up the north pier
    • Removing all unnecessary fencing
    • Making the whole harbour accessible to local and visiting boats as a matter of urgency

How can these three councillors oppose any action to achieve this? It's quite incomprehensible.

Then we have to ask — what "list of things conceded to the community"? The only thing Sispar have done, which they did not plan to do, is remove the hoardings and open a very small part of the harbour to the public.

Eleven months ago GUBOH was founded precisely because Sispar was refusing to remove the hoardings and provide public access. In May 2011, they announced they planned to remove about 70 or 100 metres of hoarding facing Cliff Road — but no access and all the rest of the hoardings to remain.

In my view, it was only the arrival of GUBOH and the campaign it mounted that got even the minimal concessions Hayden is talking about. It certainly wasn't on account of any campaign he was running, because he wasn't.

Sispar, by the way, have not even finished Phase 1 of the development, which includes the marina (functioning, and with 230 berths or thereabouts plus all necessary services); the public plaza; the clubhouses; and a few other things.

There are no moorings in the outer basin, fishing boats cannot use the harbour, people who traditionally kept boats on the old beach have no place for them, and those who had moorings possessed have not had them returned. And visiting boats have nowhere to tie up!

It really is a ghost harbour. And the abandoned wasteland building site is an eyesore and a deterrent to visitors.

This is why there is a problem, and why a temporary and interim solution along the lines set out by GUBOH — and now endorsed by the Town Council — is so important.

Another offering from a local Councillor taken from:

http://www.greystonesguide.ie/harbour-protest-group-submission-full-of-errors/

I need hardly add that the references to myself are "erroneous" to say the least.

The "apalling and despicable behaviour" referred to was -believe it or not-simply asking the question "when will the project be finished?"

On Tuesday 27th March a group that purports to represent the entire community in Greystones made a submission to the Town Council that contain very serious inaccuracies that misrepresent fact. After receiving a copy of their submission from the Town Secretary on Wednesday I feel it necessary to point out the inconsistencies and errors contained in that submission. Unfortunately six of the nine Councillors agreed that this document should be forwarded as an attachment to a letter requesting Sispar attend the next meeting of the Council. I voted against this as I had not read it but my fears were realised when I did read it.
    In paragraph 1 it states ‘GUBOH are not opposed to the Bord Pleanala approved Development’ – This is a lie. Fiachra Etchingham, the spokesperson for this group has led a 10 year campaign to halt the harbour development and currently has a live objection with An Bord Pleanala. At least two other committee members on this group were/are part of Fiachra’s GPDA.
    In paragraph 2-2a it states ‘We do not believe that the harbour is solely for the benefit of the boating community’ The dictionary definition of a Harbour is a safe haven for boats. Notwithstanding the obvious reason for a harbour to exist other clear measures have already been put in place including a new beach, 2 slipways, enhanced walkways and safe parking to mention a few of a long list.
    In paragraph 3 the group are consistent in negatives and talk down the project. Fiachra Etchingham has stated on radio and in social pages that he is opposed to the PCC. This is borne out in this paragraph and it is my belief this protest group is opposed to the PCC.
    In paragraph 4 it states ‘Sispar have been on site for four and one half years’ This is another factual error Sispar have been on site for 4 years and one month – again an attempt to beef up their negative sentiment.
    In paragraph 5 all these unworkable ‘demands’ were dealt with by Wicklow County Council and Sispar at the March Harbour Liaison Committee where the real community representatives had to endure appalling and despicable behaviour by this groups rep. The type of behaviour I hope is never witnessed again at a HLC meeting.
    Paragraph 6 it is seeking Sispar to admit some sort of defeat or wrongdoing. Sispar have done a remarkable job in sticking with this project. I believe the community at large are supportive and this was borne out by comments from Residents Associations, Chamber of Commerce and elected representatives at the HLC. Sispar have my 100% support in their endeavours to see this project through.
    In Paragraph 7 we see more lies. I met with this group as did a lot of my Council colleagues and I told them in no uncertain terms that their proposals were not reasonable nor practical. In fact I met them twice and told them so as did my party colleague Cllr Kelleher.

To sum up it is my belief, and the belief of many, that this protest group may have set out with honest intentions but has now been overrun by the negative GPDA faction. The hidden agenda is to talk down the PCC, grass over the entire site and drive Sispar out of town – this will not be allowed to happen!

Ciaran Hayden

Another offering from a local Councillor taken from:

http://www.greystonesguide.ie/harbour-protest-group-submission-full-of-errors/

I need hardly add that the references to myself are "erroneous" to say the least.

The "apalling and despicable behaviour" referred to was -believe it or not-simply asking the question "when will the project be finished?"

On Tuesday 27th March a group that purports to represent the entire community in Greystones made a submission to the Town Council that contain very serious inaccuracies that misrepresent fact. After receiving a copy of their submission from the Town Secretary on Wednesday I feel it necessary to point out the inconsistencies and errors contained in that submission. Unfortunately six of the nine Councillors agreed that this document should be forwarded as an attachment to a letter requesting Sispar attend the next meeting of the Council. I voted against this as I had not read it but my fears were realised when I did read it.
    In paragraph 1 it states ‘GUBOH are not opposed to the Bord Pleanala approved Development’ – This is a lie. Fiachra Etchingham, the spokesperson for this group has led a 10 year campaign to halt the harbour development and currently has a live objection with An Bord Pleanala. At least two other committee members on this group were/are part of Fiachra’s GPDA.
    In paragraph 2-2a it states ‘We do not believe that the harbour is solely for the benefit of the boating community’ The dictionary definition of a Harbour is a safe haven for boats. Notwithstanding the obvious reason for a harbour to exist other clear measures have already been put in place including a new beach, 2 slipways, enhanced walkways and safe parking to mention a few of a long list.
    In paragraph 3 the group are consistent in negatives and talk down the project. Fiachra Etchingham has stated on radio and in social pages that he is opposed to the PCC. This is borne out in this paragraph and it is my belief this protest group is opposed to the PCC.
    In paragraph 4 it states ‘Sispar have been on site for four and one half years’ This is another factual error Sispar have been on site for 4 years and one month – again an attempt to beef up their negative sentiment.
    In paragraph 5 all these unworkable ‘demands’ were dealt with by Wicklow County Council and Sispar at the March Harbour Liaison Committee where the real community representatives had to endure appalling and despicable behaviour by this groups rep. The type of behaviour I hope is never witnessed again at a HLC meeting.
    Paragraph 6 it is seeking Sispar to admit some sort of defeat or wrongdoing. Sispar have done a remarkable job in sticking with this project. I believe the community at large are supportive and this was borne out by comments from Residents Associations, Chamber of Commerce and elected representatives at the HLC. Sispar have my 100% support in their endeavours to see this project through.
    In Paragraph 7 we see more lies. I met with this group as did a lot of my Council colleagues and I told them in no uncertain terms that their proposals were not reasonable nor practical. In fact I met them twice and told them so as did my party colleague Cllr Kelleher.

To sum up it is my belief, and the belief of many, that this protest group may have set out with honest intentions but has now been overrun by the negative GPDA faction. The hidden agenda is to talk down the PCC, grass over the entire site and drive Sispar out of town – this will not be allowed to happen!

Ciaran Hayden

This man is clearly upset and taken this matter far too personally. I feel his objectivity has been compromised with complete rage. No public representative should endure this kind of stress. I make a plea to whatever powers have authority, to relieve this man from office for the sake of his own health. He should either voluntarily take a sabbatical for 6 to 12 months or be removed from office completely. I say this with, genuine concern for him and his family before its too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Mr Diamond

There does seem to be a lot of irritated rhetoric and no push for action in there.
    'Drive Sispar out of town'? If they don't have enough money to do anything, fine. Harsh realities are coming thick and fast these days. Accepted. Sorry to hear it. Move on. There's nothing personal there.

So... the objectors would rather sit and wait for the cavalry that, simply, isn't coming?

Greystones Harbour isn't going to get out its (deep and vast) hole by everyone sitting around in it. Three cheers to GUBOH for at least trying to push it along! Always better than doing NOTHING.

(What is it they say? 'Inaction is an action in itself.')

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Blanchflower

The democratic vote by the Greystones councillors by 6 to 3 was to accept the very reasonable views of GUBOH and write to Sispar. Councillor Hayden should as a democrat accept this democratic vote and move on. The continuing rants from him are futile and potray him in a very poor light. I agree with F3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Coles

As a distant observer on this I have to say that Cllr Ciaran Hayden's actions are very strange and deeply troubling. He has been elected to represent the interests of the people of Greystones, not a private company.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Cheeky Chops

Ethics and Codes of Conduct:

In January 2003 an ethics framework came into operation governing the ethics and codes of conduct of local authority members. As a general rule, this framework provides that it is the duty of every local authority member and employee to maintain proper standards of integrity, conduct and concern for the public interest. In addition, it established for each member a system of annual declaration of interests, disclosure of interest in a matter which comes before the authority and a public register of interests.

In January 2003 an ethics framework came into operation governing the ethics and codes of conduct of local authority members. As a general rule, this framework provides that it is the duty of every local authority member and employee to maintain proper standards of integrity, conduct and concern for the public interest. In addition, it established for each member a system of annual declaration of interests, disclosure of interest in a matter which comes before the authority and a public register of interests.

100% CC! & Cole like you, I do find this continued course of action very disturbing and more and more suspicious. This simply cannot not be allowed continue. I read the GUBOH proposal to the town council on Tuesday evening, and it was delivered with calmness, honesty by genuinely concerned members of our community. I would therefore request that Councilors declare their past, present and future interests with Sispar immediately!!!

Cheeky, if citizens have a concern about the behaviour of councillors, is there a body they can refer ethics issues to for investigation?

Can you supply a link to all this stuff?

I would recommend that you have a read of this:

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2001/en/act/pub/0037/print.html#sec13

Now it is long but you will find some useful information in there on the responsibilities of local government ie councillors. Law rather than hyperbole!

I will come back to you on your question.

Cheeky

Local Government Act 2001

Consultation with the local community.

127.—(1) A local authority may take such steps as it considers appropriate to consult with and promote effective participation by the local community in local government.

(2) Without prejudice to the generality of subsection (1) a local authority may—

(a) undertake such action under section 64 as the authority may consider appropriate,

(b) establish strategic policy committees or a municipal policy committee in accordance with Part 7,

(c) consult with local sectoral, community or other groups,

(d) arrange for the representation on area or other relevant committees of the authority of persons having knowledge or experience of relevance to the work of the particular committee,

(e) consult with a recognised association under section 128 ,

(f) make arrangements for attendance and raising of issues by interested persons at meetings of the authority or of any of its committees in accordance with such rules as may be determined by resolution of the authority,

(g) arrange for the holding of information meetings and the dissemination of information to the public in relation to any matter connected with its functions.

(3) (a) Where in relation to any function of a local authority under this or under any other enactment the relevant enactment requires the publication of a notice in a newspaper and the invitation of submissions or observations in connection with the performance of that function, the local authority may take such additional steps as it may consider appropriate to publicise, facilitate or promote the consultation process including the use of other forms of communications, including local radio stations, and the use of electronic forms of communication.

(b) A local authority may, in respect of reports, plans or any other material in relation to the performance of its functions, arrange for the making available or display of such materials at suitable locations additional to those required by this or any other enactment.

(4) Nothing in this section shall be read as limiting or departing from the role of a local authority as an elected body.

This section 168 - 182 has the information you need with links to the Ethic's code and instructions on the process involved.

Standards of integrity.

168.—In carrying out their functions under this or any other enactment, it is the duty of every member and every employee of a local authority and of every member of every committee to maintain proper standards of integrity, conduct and concern for the public interest.

Codes of conduct for Local Government Service.

169.—(1) (a) After consultation with the Commission and the Minister for Finance, the Minister, may issue codes of conduct for the guidance of members of local authorities and of employees of local authorities.

(b) A code of conduct shall deal with the conduct and standards of integrity of members and employees in performing their functions or in relation to any other matter connected with this Part.

(c) In addition to the matters provided for by paragraph (b), a code of conduct shall also deal with matters which, in the opinion of the Minister, will help to uphold public confidence in the integrity of the discharge of local authority functions.

(d) Codes to which this section relate shall be known as the National Code of Conduct for Local Authority Members and the National Code of Conduct for Local Authority Employees or by such other name as the Minister may decide from time to time.

(2) The Minister may at any time review a code of conduct and may amend the code of conduct or withdraw it and issue a new code of conduct.

(3) (a) Each member shall have regard to and be guided by the relevant code of conduct in the exercise of his or her functions.

(b) Each employee shall, in so far as the code of conduct applies to that employee, have regard to and be guided by the code of conduct in the exercise of his or her functions.

(c) There shall be deemed to be included in the terms and conditions of employment of an employee an undertaking by him or her to have regard to and be guided by the code of conduct in the exercise of his or her functions.

(4) (a) (i) As soon as practicable after the election or co-option of a person as a member of a local authority, the ethics registrar shall supply to each such member a copy of the National Code of Conduct for Local Authority Members.

(ii) The notice issued by the ethics registrar under section 174 shall draw the member's attention to the code of conduct and to subsection (3)(a).

(b) (i) The ethics registrar shall supply to each employee, as soon as practicable, a copy of the National Code of Conduct for Local Authority Employees.

(ii) The notice issued by the ethics registrar under section 174 shall draw the employee's attention to the code of conduct and to subsection (3)(b) and (c).

(5) (a) A court may have regard to a code of conduct issued under this section in any proceedings for an offence under this Part.

(b) The Commission may have regard to a code of conduct issued under this section in the carrying out of its functions in relation to a local authority.

(6) A code of conduct adopted by a planning authority under section 150 of the Act of 2000 shall continue to apply and have effect until replaced by a code of conduct issued under this section.

HTH.

I won't post anymore links - you can find all you need form here. It's all in the public domain because fortunately we live in a democracy!!!!!!

Cheeky

Excellent Cheeky, and well done.

To our 200 daily readers of this blog:- There are those amoung you who must remember that this code not only exists but is applicable to you. Do we request GUBOH to publicly remind you of this code of ethics or will the compliant reprentatives who have unquestionable integrity raise this officially as a point of order in light what could be described as misfeasance that has been perpetuated through rage and personal malice rather than objectivity and civil duty.

We look forward to identifying and acknowleding those who take the initiative first. So it's either stand up and be counted or continue to sit on the fence. Your choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,017 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Cheeky, if citizens have a concern about the behaviour of councillors, is there a body they can refer ethics issues to for investigation?

Can you supply a link to all this stuff?

Non moderator hat

I think SIPO deal with complaints

http://www.sipo.gov.ie/en/

Moderator hat

Perhaps if you want to discuss the issue of local government ethics then start a discussion in the politics forum as this is going off topic

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Non moderator hat

I think SIPO deal with complaints

http://www.sipo.gov.ie/en/

Moderator hat

Perhaps if you want to discuss the issue of local government ethics then start a discussion in the politics forum as this is going off topic

Thanks for that, Mango. You may be right — there's also supposed to be an "ethics registrar" in every local authority to ensure the code is observed. In the case of WCC, this is an official named Bernie Byrne who is listed on their website as personnel officer (http://www.wicklow.ie/apps/wicklowbeta/Staff/Corp.aspx). Anyhow, this is my last remark on this, I agree the subject belongs elsewhere.

• Advertisement

So where are we at? What can we do to help?

Town Council supports GUBOH’s requests to Sispar

The Give Us Back Our Harbour group welcomes the support they received from Greystones Town Council at its meeting on 27 March.  A GUBOH delegation asked the Town Council to call on Sispar to undertake landscaping work and other improvements in the harbour area in order to ensure that it is not left in its present unsightly condition for years to come.

“We came to the Council with a simple and reasonable request,” said GUBOH spokesman Fiachra Etchingham. “We pointed out that the harbour project has stalled now for over a year and that, while the boating community has benefited greatly from the improved facilities, the rest of the community has suffered considerably from noise, dirt and loss of visual and recreational amenity in the four and a half years Sispar has been on site.”

Greystones harbour has always been the heart of the town and is hugely important to everyone who lives here. We want it restored to that status while we are waiting for development to resume. To achieve that the following is needed:

Landscaping the whole area to the north of the harbour
    Opening the north pier to public access
    Removal of all unnecessary fencing
    Opening the whole harbour to local and visiting boats as a matter of urgency
    “We were delighted that Councillors accepted this reasonable request,” said Etchingham. “A number of them drew attention to the awful appearance of the area on the approach from the Cliff Walk and the impact this is having on tourism. They also commented on the excessive amounts of fencing and the lack of facilities for visiting boats. A small minority of councillors opposed our request and so it was necessary to put the matter to a vote. This was carried by a majority of two to one and the Town Council will now forward our request to Sispar and invite them to a meeting to discuss the issues raised.”

The housing market, on which this project depended, is severely depressed and there will be no significant progress on this project for quite some time.  It is essential that we ensure that Greystones is not left with the present eyesore for years to come. We are delighted that the Council is prepared to take action on the community’s behalf to ensure this does not happen and that interim, temporary remedies are found until the development can proceed. 

Etchingham said he was concerned about the attitude of a small minority of Councillors to GUBOH’s request. “At the meeting, two councillors were hostile towards our delegation. Since the meeting, one in particular has issued a number of vitriolic press releases attacking GUBOH and insisting that the community in general is being unreasonable in asking for the area to be cleaned up. It is very difficult to understand how this councillor can be so opposed to the simple measures we propose and why he should attack individual members of the community in such an intemperate way.

“However, we are delighted with the support we received from the majority of councillors and we look forward to the community’s concerns being resolved before the summer season.” 

Fiachra Etchingham        
    Spokesperson  
    GUBOH Group
    31/03/2012

Post to Facebook
    Post to Twitter
    Add to LinkedIn
    Send via E-mail program
    Print with PrintFriendly
    Tags: Greystones Harbour, Greystones Marina, GUBOH Group, Sispar, Town Council supports GUBOH’s requests to Sispar
    Category: Around the site, Harbour Updates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭LifeBeginsAt40

Thanks for the info so far!

We walked the path to Bray and back today and sadly if I didn't live in Greystones I'd not walk the section through the harbour twice, that's for sure! It's already killing the tourism trust me!

Fingers crossed people will see sense and start singing from the same hymn sheet!

Latest post to the Greystones Guide. Obviously democracy doesnt work for these guys

On Thursday 29th March the Harbour protest group GUBOH issued a press release with the following title “Town Council supports GUBOH’s requests to Sispar”

As a result Cllr Ciarán Hayden and Cllr Kathleen Kelleher have found it necessary to refute this misleading headline. At the March meeting of the Town Council the protest group had asked the Council to support their unworkable demands. However this support was not forthcoming and the Council decided, as a compromise proposed by Cllr George Jones, to attach GUBOH’s demands to a letter requesting Sispar to attend the next meeting of the Council. This action by the Council in no way inferred an opinion by the Council. Both Cllr Kelleher and Cllr Hayden opposed this motion as the Council had not received a copy of the demands in advance nor were the nine Councillors given an opportunity to read the document.

Cllr Kathleen Kelleher said on reading the misleading statement “this press release is factually incorrect and endorses the support of the Council which is not the case. GUBOH should clarify this immediately.”

Cllr Ciarán Hayden further commented “once again we are witnessing the typical Jesuitical language from this group. This comment is inaccurate and misleading but something I have come to expect from a group made up of people that lead a very bitter and divisive campaign in our community for a period of ten years or more.”

Both Councillors confirmed they will seek clarification from the Town Council when the minutes of the March meeting are proposed on the 24th April.

Joint Press Release
    Cllr Ciaran Hayden
    Cllr Kathleen Kelleher
    02/03/2012

Latest post to the Greystones Guide. Obviously democracy doesnt work for these guys

On Thursday 29th March the Harbour protest group GUBOH issued a press release with the following title “Town Council supports GUBOH’s requests to Sispar”

As a result Cllr Ciarán Hayden and Cllr Kathleen Kelleher have found it necessary to refute this misleading headline. At the March meeting of the Town Council the protest group had asked the Council to support their unworkable demands. However this support was not forthcoming and the Council decided, as a compromise proposed by Cllr George Jones, to attach GUBOH’s demands to a letter requesting Sispar to attend the next meeting of the Council. This action by the Council in no way inferred an opinion by the Council. Both Cllr Kelleher and Cllr Hayden opposed this motion as the Council had not received a copy of the demands in advance nor were the nine Councillors given an opportunity to read the document.

Cllr Kathleen Kelleher said on reading the misleading statement “this press release is factually incorrect and endorses the support of the Council which is not the case. GUBOH should clarify this immediately.”

Cllr Ciarán Hayden further commented “once again we are witnessing the typical Jesuitical language from this group. This comment is inaccurate and misleading but something I have come to expect from a group made up of people that lead a very bitter and divisive campaign in our community for a period of ten years or more.”

Both Councillors confirmed they will seek clarification from the Town Council when the minutes of the March meeting are proposed on the 24th April.

Joint Press Release
    Cllr Ciaran Hayden
    Cllr Kathleen Kelleher
    02/03/2012

April Fools was yesterday Fiachra ...very funny all the same.

Thank goodness we live in a democracy where we can jest about such things. As if a majority vote is not an endorsement?? :D Someone better tell the councillors they are not elected because they did not get 100% of the vote.

Whats also interesting is that-believe it or not- I work for the Jesuits!!

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭legrand

Get thee behind me :eek:
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

He probably has a file on you, and any other GUBOH activists.

Two conflicting accounts of the meeting have been given here on this thread;

1. That the Town Council agreed "to call on Sispar to undertake landscaping work and other improvements in the harbour area" as per the attached list.

2.That the Town Council agreed " to request Sispar to attend the next meeting of the Council" and attached the list of demands for their interest/perusal.

If we had the minutes of the meeting , or the exact wording of the motion they voted on, we might be able to see where the truth lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

• Advertisement

It looks awful John.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement