Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

News and views on Greystones harbour and marina [SEE MODERATOR WARNING POST 1187]

Options
1100101102103104106»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Are they working on the boardwalk as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

legrand wrote: »
    I think it's time for Sisk/WCC need to revisit their litter strategy for the harbour plaza area.   Clearly the current lot of bins are not up to the job and in general are pretty much full and over-flowing by mid-day a on any given weekend.
    The BigBelly bins have solved the litter problem between the Cove and South Beach.  I suspect these bin types would solve the issue.

there's about 8 bins around the little green - often the 2 nearest Sweeneys are overflowing while the others are empty. People are just lazy slobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭legrand

^^^ Too true! In fact I'd go go further and suggest that there's something in the Irish psyche that would mean they would sooner throw rubbish at instead of in a bin or heaven forbid be seen walking to a bin with express intent of not littering

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭FirstIn

Are these the submarine pens? I've seen the ones in Saint-Nazaire , most impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

that's one over-engineered board walk - are they planning to park cars on it?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Probably designed to carry large amounts of people for events and maybe parking food vans etc. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭legrand

What I envisage when the I think about a boardwalk.  Close enough eh?
    zomer-achtergrond-met-een-zand-strand-met-houten-trap.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭jpd

Been a while since there was that much sand on Greystones beach...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭Macy0161

jpd wrote: »
    Been a while since there was that much sand on Greystones beach...
    Is it not just the artists impression of what the harbour beach was supposed to look like, if it wasn't yet another of the planning conditions that had been ignored?

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭skelly22

pixbyjohn wrote: »

Now that's ugly.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭skelly22

Not sure you can actually get much more concrete into one photo. This particular section of the harbour can only be described as a crime against humanity.

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

skelly22 wrote: »
    Now that's ugly.

The poor guy is walking along minding his own business....
    :P

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Harry Bosch

Otherwise known as 'The Carbuncle'.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Harry Bosch

loyatemu wrote: »
    AFAIK the boardwalk is the last phase of the whole project, but they are about to start construction of the apartment blocks.
    Not the last phase.

Construction of boardwalk is followed by the apartment blocks (so-called because they will BLOCK the view from the already-purchased houses!) and the real final phase is the creation of the public park to the north — the public park site of which is rapidly being eaten away by erosion, erosion due to WCC and Sisk NOT implementing the beach nourishment strategy prescribed in the planning conditions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

and the real final phase is the creation of the public park to the north — the public park site of which is rapidly being eaten away by erosion, erosion due to WCC and Sisk NOT implementing the beach nourishment strategy prescribed in the planning conditions.
    What little sliver of land is left by then, will be cheaper to landscape ;)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

recedite wrote: »
    What little sliver of land is left by then, will be cheaper to landscape ;)

If I was being cynical I would say that is part of the plan....:(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Any photos of GS during the recent storm? :eek:

• Advertisement

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Any photos of GS during the recent storm? :eek:

There are a few on the Greystones Camera Club's Flickr page..... click back and forward to see them
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/147108139@N04/25684557277/in/pool-greystonescameraclub/

None by me

This news probably belongs in this forum:
    The Office of Public Works (OPW) has applied for planning permission for a new coastguard station in Greystones Harbour — three years after plans for the Co Wicklow town were deemed ‘not viable’.

Lack of funds was the reason given for previous proposals grinding to a halt after 12 years of discussions and planning, as reported on Afloat.ie in September 2016.

But now the project is back on the agenda as a planning application lodged recently with Wicklow County Council details revised plans for a single-storey boathouse and vehicle store with accompanying accommodation block.

The proposed building, to the north of Greystones Sailing Club, will have a combined floor area of 259 sq m and a maximum overall roof height of 7.8m above adjacent public space.

The planning application adds: “Proposals include high level windows and three roof lights; proposed external finishes comprise fair faced concrete, zinc roofing and metal framed windows, a new vehicular access point to the north east corner of the site, three flag poles, one radio aerial mast and entrance signage, provision of eight car parking spaces on hard landscaping, [and] associated site works.”

Submissions can be made until Sunday 23 February, and local planners are due to make their decision by Sunday 15 March.
    https://afloat.ie/port-news/irish-marinas/greystones-marina/item/45290-new-coastguard-station-for-greystones-back-on-agenda-as-opw-lodges-planning-application?mc_cid=1b07b52456&mc_eid=cad3920467

Advertisement