Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you going to pay the household charge? [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

No it isn't.
    If I am a motorist i would expect to pay Motor Tax.
    If I was a home owner I would also expect ALL home owners to have to pay.
    If only half the road users had to pay Road Tax would you object ?

All home owners do have to pay - except for the few who are denied certain local authority services because they're in unfinished estate limbo.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,585 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

alastair wrote: »
    It's silly to desire a stable and sustainable tax base to get us out of the mess we're in? No-one's 'happy' to pay taxes, but some of us accept that it's a 'good' thing to do so in the face of the alternatives.

Stable and sustainable maybe but fair .... NO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

Wild Bill wrote: »
    After the next election (when this Regime is still be struggling to collect this extortion) a new democratic Government will revoke all penalties associated with this illegitimate tax, abolish it and cancel the "debt" of anyone who hasn't paid.

The saps who buckled and paid can expect no such respite.
    By the sound of it after the next election (fair and democratic, like the last one) you will still be going on about "illigitimate regimes".
    Since you so despise representative democracy (the sytem we use) how do propose that a legitimate government be elected?
    BTW referring to those who chose to pay for whatever reason as "saps" is offensive, I dont insult those who oppose this tax and wont pay, I would like the same couretesy to be shown to those who chose to pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

lugha wrote: »
    Could we not apply the same logic to say that 5,000 people (lets be generous and assume they are all home owners) turned out to protest today, so 1,595,000 did not?

If 40% is bad, what is 3%? :pac:

People don't have to go on a march in Dublin to protest!
    Not paying is a protest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

No it isn't.
    If I am a motorist i would expect to pay Motor Tax.
    If I was a home owner I would also expect ALL home owners to have to pay.
    If only half the road users had to pay Road Tax would you object ?
    First, some road users (pedestrians, cyclists, public transport users) don’t pay. But the more important point is that those that do pay, pay considerable more than what is needed to maintain the roads. Thus, motorists have to pay this extra tax to the exchequer, that nobody else has to pay, because they are motorists! How is this not discriminatory?

• Advertisement

Stable and sustainable maybe but fair .... NO.

Absolutely fair. And here to stay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

60% of people might disagree with you.

(welcome back btw)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

LOL. And it's a great result for Phil.
    Still, over 40% have registered and the deadline is still 7 hours away!

Terrible result for the anti household tax campaign.

gerryo777 wrote: »
    Not paying is a protest.

Or tardiness, or disinterest, or confusion, or...

Is not attending the protest, a protest against the protest?

Fair that people who own property subsidise those that don't?

• Advertisement

Ghandee wrote: »
    60% of people might disagree with you.

(welcome back btw)

They might, or they might not. Neither of us know for sure. They'll still have to pay up all the same.

Or tardiness, or disinterest, or confusion, or...

Is not attending the protest, a protest against the protest?

Are you on something?

Not paying is a protest.
    Some who did not pay did so as a protest. Some were undoubtedly biding their time to see if the whole thing would collapse. We will only know what the true level of opposition is when we see who still haven't paid in a few months.

Some who did not pay did so as a protest. Some were undoubtedly biding their time to see if the whole thing would collapse. We will only know what the true level of opposition is when we see who still haven't paid in a few months.

We'll see when they whack it up 10 fold who'll pay next year, if it's not scrapped by then.

Fair that people who own property subsidise those that don't?

Just as those who drive might possibly subsidise those who don't? Yep.
    Is it fair that your taxes support welfare for others? Yep. I'd say so. Taxes are a social contract.

Are you on something?

Just following your logic through to its obvious conclusion.

Ah NO, the deadline is midnight.

Taxes are a social contract.
    Only if you sign up!

It is? Because it seems to me that you can continue to pay up with little additional overhead for a few months yet. It's a pretty insipid deadline.

Not so. The early bird special finishes tonight! You can still pay tomorrow, only a little more! I expect the number of payees to continue to rise.

• Advertisement

Only if you sign up!

You're not invisible - if you're liable, you'll be paying up sooner or later.

They might, or they might not. Neither of us know for sure. They'll still have to pay up all the same.

If this was a referendum how would you view it? 60 voted no and 40 voted yes? Since when is does minority dictate to the majority? This is not Saudi Arabia.

It is? Because it seems to me that you can continue to pay up with little additional overhead for a few months yet. It's a pretty inspid deadline.

Hulk Hogan said no extensions.

Not so. The early bird special finishes tonight! You can still pay tomorrow, only a little more! I expect the number of payees to continue to rise.

IF people do pay after the deadline do you expect them to chase €10 LOL.

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    If this was a referendum how would you view it? 60 voted no and 40 voted yes? Since when is does minority dictate to the majority? This is not Saudi Arabia.

It's not a request. I think that's where you made your mistake.

Hulk Hogan said no extensions.

No extensions needed - just the extra tenner/twenty/a lot more, depending how slow you are.

Just as those who drive might possibly subsidise those who don't? Yep.
    Is it fair that your taxes support welfare for others? Yep. I'd say so. Taxes are a social contract.

You might think its fair but tell that to someone who has no safety net. The self employed. When a substantial portion of the population are precluded from the same social protection it's Wrong!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

PocketAA wrote: »
    I know you jest...but just for the record I'm not a member or activist or promotor of any political lobby group or party

And no comment on anything else. Of course you're not........:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

IF people do pay after the deadline do you expect them to chase €10 LOL.

They wont have any option but to pay the €110+interest. A payment of less wont be accepted.

• Advertisement

You might think its fair but tell that to someone who has no safety net. The self employed. When a substantial portion of the population are precluded from the same social protection it's Wrong!

I'm self employed. Let me ask myself...

yep - still a fair system.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement