Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you going to pay the household charge? [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

I'm really glad I don't have your outlook on the future - it must be quite depressing.

I think we can get out of this mess if most of us stick together and ignore voices such as yours, whose only purpose is drag people down to your level.

Stick together? You should be on stage really! Roll over and play dead - for those cnuts in power? Takes all sorts I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

IF there was 100% conformity the €160 million is not going to make a difference. The government is responsible for reducing expenditure yet they paid the teachers €500 million in extras above their wages.

The poxy €100 you have paid is just about to be pissed up against the wall. You should have went out this weekend had a few drinks and do it yourself. At least then you would have been contributing towards private sector employment who in turn would have paid their taxes and excise on the alcohol.
    PocketAA wrote: »
    Pay the poxy 100euros...

its a fairer way to collect revenue and safer for economic activity than more direct taxes.

Its 100 euros Do you sound off like one of these lunatics
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Je3RiPXdaWM

Please focus your non conformity energy on public expenditure reform not protecting property owners !!!!!

- in the meantime I'll keep working hard and paying my fair share for the Country I Love !

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Let them with property portfolios step up...nows their time

What have you against property owners?
    Have you any idea how much many property owners have paid in taxes/ VAT. stamp duty already?

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I joined a board to share a view...

I've posted twice

I attract more comments highlighting lack of prior posts than thought out responses on my shared view

What a waste of time

( to the bloke who said its lack of spine... its not man..its about an alternative to be crying at the tax I pay every f'n month in me wages )

Mod

Since you just joined and this is nearly a 10'000 post thread. I will remind you of the warning.

any poster found to be flaming/baiting, will be banned.

Please report any threads you deem to be inappropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

even though I find the tax unfair ( our tax system is unfair in general ) I've paid the tax. I think it's easy for people to zone in on a particular problem within our society and blame that for our situation but in reality it's all ****ed from the corrupt bankers and politicians at the top to the social welfare fraud at the bottom in more ways than I will ever understand so I'll keep paying my taxes as long as I can and hope to god that my kids won't have to emigrate to find work when they leave school.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

kev1.3s wrote: »
    even though I find the tax unfair ( our tax system is unfair in general ) I've paid the tax. I think it's easy for people to zone in on a particular problem within our society and blame that for our situation but in reality it's all ****ed from the corrupt bankers and politicians at the top to the social welfare fraud at the bottom in more ways than I will ever understand so I'll keep paying my taxes as long as I can and hope to god that my kids won't have to emigrate to find work when they leave school.

So you are saying the best way to fix corruption and wastage is to cover its costs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 PocketAA

galwayrush wrote: »
    What have you against property owners?
    Have you any idea how much many property owners have paid in taxes/ VAT. stamp duty already?
    Nothing against Property Owners

but which do we want more of in our society : Hard Work v Buy2Let Get Rich Greed ?

Therefore no more income tax.....multiple tax for multiple property landlords

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭marozz

Have you seen the photograph of Big Phil - front page of the Irish Independent ?
    If ever a picture could tell a story
    Who does he think he is ..... Ronnie Briggs the great train robber !

What arrogance.
    To pose for such a photo confirms how out of touch the man is with the real difficulties facing ordinary people. Little wonder people are so cynical about politicians. 1 year in and you can not tell the difference from FF - new bottle , old wine
    Bring back Willie with his gun !!!
    Shame

You summed it up alright - seeing that photograph has made me more determent than ever, not to pay the charge!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Nothing against Property Owners

but which do we want more of in our society : Hard Work v Buy2Let Get Rich Greed ?

Therefore no more income tax.....multiple tax for multiple property landlords

An extra tax for hard working people who own their own homes you mean..
    or are you saying the property tax should be limited to multi property landlords?

Freddie59 wrote: »
    Sweet Jesus.:rolleyes: I see you came late to the thread. If you wanna take it up the ass then its your own business. Don't expect everyone else to. Public expenditure reform means slashing public sector wages an the SW bill. Not penalising hard pressed taxpayers who bought their house (and didn't cost the Government a brass cent to house). Enjoy the Ard Fheis tomorrow. It;'s amazing how many of you have crawled onto this thread in the past 24 hours.
    I know you jest...but just for the record I'm not a member or activist or promotor of any political lobby group or party

• Advertisement

galwayrush wrote: »
    An extra tax for hard working people who own their own homes you mean..
    or are you saying the property tax should be limited to multi property landlords?
    No...I'm saying the revenue pool needs to come from a mix of taxes

The worker cannot support any more Universal social ( what ever that means ) charge or any more direct income taxes

A property based tax is a fairer next step in this mire we've been landed in by an unexplained commitment to honour unsecured debt and lazy managment of public sector costs over time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

how many of the approx 1.8m homes do you think are part of "portfolios"?
    the majority of them are privately owned houses & apartments, including those deep in negative equity and struggling to meet repayments, those who have paid their mortgage in full over decades, and those who have already paid stamp duty.
    is it fair for them to pay the exact same €100 that the B2L investors are paying?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

The worker cannot support any more Universal social ( what ever that means ) charge or any more direct income taxes

A property based tax is a fairer next step in this mire we've been landed in by an unexplained commitment to honour unsecured debt and lazy managment of public sector costs over time

Why should it just be property owners who pay more? this money is going to pay for services that everyone will use. Why should I pay more for people who do not work or for people who could not be bothered to buy property?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

And where do you think the home owner gets the money to pay this new tax, out of the cavity in the walls of their house?

Do you have any property?

A property based tax is a fairer next step

most people agree with that, but the principle of a flat tax (even if "only" €100, and only as an interim measure), instead of one taking into account property value and ability to pay is what I and others have the problem with

thats the point.... its 100 quid if you only have 1 : )

This is only the beginning. I'm sure you realise this will be alot more in the coming years along with proposed water charges.

how many of the approx 1.8m homes do you think are part of "portfolios"?
    the majority of them are privately owned houses & apartments, including those deep in negative equity and struggling to meet repayments, those who have paid their mortgage in full over decades, and those who have already paid stamp duty.
    is it fair for them to pay the exact same €100 that the B2L investors are paying?
    thats the point its only 100quid per property....100 quid if you live in your home

Remember I'm not saying 100 quid is nothing....

Its just that I'd rather have the next tax increased focused this way than as a percentage of the extra hours I work

thats the point.... its 100 quid if you only have 1 : )

€100 this time but how much next year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    This is only the beginning. I'm sure you realise this will be alot more in the coming years along with proposed water charges.

Yes, most of us do.

• Advertisement

thats the point its only 100quid per property....100 quid if you live in your home

Remember I'm not saying 100 quid is nothing....

Its just that I'd rather have the next tax increased focused this way than as a percentage of the extra hours I work

because you, (assumedly not being a homeowner) won't be getting us of the services this is supposedly paying for?

btw, if you're renting you'll pay for it anyway, because your landlord will (outside of fixed terms) increase rent to cover the cost of this or future property taxes

hondasam wrote: »
    €100 this time but how much next year?

Who knows?

More than €100 I'd imagine.

What would be the difference if the same amount was taken out of your wages?

Yes, most of us do.

What are you expecting to be paying in two or three years time? Do you expect to get an efficent and meaningful return on these property charges or do you expect it to be wasted like the majority of the population believe it will.

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    What are you expecting to be paying in two or three years time? Do you expect to get an efficent and meaningful return on these property charges or do you expect it to be wasted like the majority of the population believe it will.

I expect it to go towards balancing the budget.

The addressing of waste can be done as well.

I expect it to go towards balancing the budget.

The addressing of waste can be done as well.

That made me chuckle. Your best joke yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

robbie7730 wrote: »
    So you are saying the best way to fix corruption and wastage is to cover its costs?
    No not at all but if that's the issue here more is required than to not pay the household tax. It's not going to get Sean Fitz or Bertie brought to account now is it?

So consider this - We pay 100euros as a charge.
    Government can plan to take less of our incremental earnings wages increases through direct taxation

Those who are Land Lord Wannabees pay for the privilege

In the future the worker pays VAT, property based charges and and income tax at a level that can stimulate the economy.

Less people want to become Landlords......

Landlord eh ? powerful word in this Nations history

Who knows?

More than €100 I'd imagine.

What would be the difference if the same amount was taken out of your wages?

It will be a lot more than a €100 that's for sure.

I'm not paying unless everyone pays with no exceptions, If I have to pay for the local amenities than everyone should pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Heather21

Didn't want to pay, but my partner got there first and paid it. Wonder will they enforce the penalties for late payers.

• Advertisement

Less people want to become Landlords......

Landlord eh ? powerful word in this Nations history

Owning your own home does not make you a landlord.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement