Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you going to pay the household charge? [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

alastair wrote: »
    It's not a request. I think that's where you made your mistake.

Actually it is a request. They have asked you to voluntarily register and pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

I wonder will the pro tax brigade organise a march looking for more taxes.
    There'd be great placards, "we want more", "tax my kids", "tax my bike" etc etc.
    DV and alaistair would be at the front in high-viz jackets with loudhailers shouting for more.
    It'd be great to watch.:D

I'm self employed. Let me ask myself...

yep - still a fair system.

How is it fair to discriminate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

I'm self employed. Let me ask myself...

yep - still a fair system.
    Its legal but there is no way that it could be remotley described as fair or just.

You're not invisible - if you're liable, you'll be paying up sooner or later.

I'll invite big phil to my home, I'm not hiding from anyone son!

• Advertisement

Anyone wrote: »
    They wont have any option but to pay the €110+interest. A payment of less wont be accepted.

So they will return cheques and cash?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    Actually it is a request. They have asked you to voluntarily register and pay.

They've asked you to voluntarily register - but the payment is certainly not an option - it's your legal obligation.

gerryo777 wrote: »
    There'd be great placards, "we want more", "tax my kids", "tax my bike" etc etc.
    DV and alaistair would be at the front in high-viz jackets with loudhailers shouting for more.
    LOL 10 out of 10, has to post of the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Well paid ours today.

Don't know why people are complaining so much.

Lived in Holland for 7 years, paid higher income tax than here and then every January got a bill from local council for around €1500 for local taxes.

In Ireland people want the best public services, road, hospitals etc but don't want to pay for them!

How is it fair to discriminate?

There isn't any discrimination - all home owners are liable (excepting those in unfinished estates). Just as all motorists are liable for motor tax. No car ownership, no tax, no home ownership, no property tax.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

PocketAA wrote: »
    Get over it pay 100euros
    And what about the next one hundred euro - or one thousand euro?
    Reduce Income tax in favour of fixed property taxes
    do you actually understand the implications of this - or even what you are talking about?
    Reward the worker - Reward Innovation

Utopia. You've obviously woken up from a prolonged sleep. The worker is screwed in Ireland - not rewarded. At every turn.
    reduce the burden on direct wage taxation !!

How?
    UP HOUSEHOLD CHARGE - DOWN WITH UNIVERSAL SOCIAL CHARGE AND INCOMETAX

Do you think you're at a GAA match or something?

murpho999 wrote: »
    Well paid ours today.

Lived in Holland for 7 years, paid higher income tax than here and then every January got a bill from local council for around €1500 for local taxes.

In Ireland people want the best public services, road, hospitals etc but don't want to pay for them!

Thing is, we don't get these things.

gerryo777 wrote: »

Do you reckon we'd match the HUGE numbers of today's bash?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,492 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

They wont have any option but to pay the €110+interest. A payment of less wont be accepted.

If it was 1e I still wouldn't pay it.

Even when the country was awash with money our services where crap. So how is another €160 going to improve anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

So they will return cheques and cash?

Well they wont accept cash by post, from what I heard, posted forms will be accepted up to next week, any direct debit will deduct the full amount due.

Well paid ours today.

Yes, but we dont get the best public services, me and the OH pay two grand a year in Health insurance, pay the doctor,pay the dentist,pay for refuse collection,pay business rates, the roads are ok but our motor tax more than covers them!

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭phil1nj

They've asked you to voluntarily register - but the payment is certainly not an option - it's your legal obligation.

Just like paying the Poll Tax was a legal obligation when you lived in London, eh alastair?:D

Don't know, organise it and see.

There isn't any discrimination - all home owners are liable (excepting those in unfinished estates). Just as all motorists are liable for motor tax. No car ownership, no tax, no home onership, no property tax.

Your not responding to the question I asked. Go back and look at what you quoted and then get back to me. Hint self employed and social welfare.

• Advertisement

What ? ONE MILLION protested today. I didn't leave my armchair to pay this unjust tax.

phil1nj wrote: »
    Just like paying the Poll Tax was a legal obligation when you lived in London, eh alastair?:D

So, we're in agreement that there wasn't any request for payment - but rather an obligation? Grand so.

Your not responding to the question I asked. Go back and look at what you quoted and then get back to me. Hint self employed and social welfare.

I'm happy with my response. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,060 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

So Phil (I'm too poor to take a pay cut) Hogan has thanked the true patriots of this country, the ones that have paid up and not caused a stir about it.

Samuel Johnson's famous line about 'patriotism' has never rung truer.

Well they wont accept cash by post, from what I heard, posted forms will be accepted up to next week, any direct debit will deduct the full amount due.

What happens if someone posts the form in next week or a month from now with a cheque or bank draft for €100? Will they send out a request for €10?

I would not be surprised if they announce an extension forum til September. Leo Veradker mentioned that they only needed to have €160 million in by the end of the tax year.

What ? ONE MILLION protested today. I didn't leave my armchair to pay this unjust tax.

I'm familiar with armchair experts. They haven't a great rep.

I'll assume that the armchair boycotters of the protest are equally strident in their opposition to the campaigners then?

What happens if someone posts the form in next week or a month from now with a cheque or bank draft for €100? Will they send out a request for €10?

I would not be surprised if they announce an extension forum til September. Leo Veradker mentioned that they only needed to have €160 million in by the end of the tax year.

I've no idea to be honest, and I stopped listening to Leo ages ago, lol that guy just wrecks my head, any chance to get on the TV and he takes it.

I'm happy with my response. Cheers.

I thought you might be. :D

I'm familiar with armchair experts. They haven't a great rep.

I'll assume that the armchair boycotters of the protest are equally strident in their opposition to the campaigners then?

Maybe that's why I missed you for the last few days:rolleyes:

ONE MILLION is some protest !!!

• Advertisement

Out of curiosity, is there anything stopping the Gov doing what was done in Greece? There, they put the charge on the electricity bill, if you didnt pay it, you got cut off.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement