Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you going to pay the household charge? [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭TreesAreCrowd

plasmaguy wrote: »
    I hope the government impose the fines and enforce them.

+1

I think the optimal route might be something like using fines and taking those fines from the tax credits of non-payers. They wouldn't feel it to such an extent and the money would flow in accordingly as they haven't any control over their PAYE.

It would actually work well. 87.5% with fines of up to €1,000, taken directly from tax credits, social welfare or other things they can't interfere with, would end up as a nice bit of revenue for the country. It would also set an example for future necessary austerity measures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

.......fines of up to €1,000, taken directly from tax credits, social welfare or other things they can't interfere with, would end up as a nice bit of revenue for the country. It would also set an example for future necessary austerity measures.

You mean workers, right? You mean anyone with the ability to hire an accountant and set up a limited company should get a way with not paying? Because that's what will happen. That's what has happened when the public we're burdened with the private debts of gamblers.

squod wrote: »
    You mean workers, right? You mean anyone with the ability to hire an accountant and set up a limited company should get a way with not paying? Because that's what will happen. That's what has happened when the public we're burdened with the private debts of gamblers.
    Yeah! I'm going to hire an accountant, set up a limited company and have an accountant do my yearly taxes to evade a €100 charge! I'm so smart!

If that's how they want to go about it, let them at it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

I reckon there will be a last minute rush to pay as people panic.

It's a cornerstone of democracy, that a democratic government can impose any tax it sees fit for the overall good of the country and its future, as opposed to the personal good of some people who refuse to pay.

Refusal to pay any tax to revenue is a serious matter and fundamentally undermines the state.

We lost our soverignty in the last few years precisely becaue we weren't able to raise enough taxes or run ourselves properly.

The only way we can regain the soverignty is by showing the rest of the world, we can pay our way, no matter the cost or the sacrifice.

The issues around Anglo and the other banks is seperate and will eventually be sorted out, much of it with debt swaps and writedowns.

But the issue of our current overspend cannot be easily ignored. We cannot keep borrowing as ultimately that will mean higher interest rates, forcing us to borrow even more to keep pace, and we get into a vicious cycle of borrowing to fund previous borrowings and higher interest rates.

Ultimately some form of property tax, harsh though it is, makes up part of the solution.

And for those idiots who go to Man Utd games in England every week, or the Aviva every time Ireland players, or Leinster, or go on expensive stags abroad, and so on, and then claim they can't afford to pay, they are the lowest form in my opinion, if I may be permitted to say that.

They'd rather spend their money in the merchandise shop of old trafford or a strip club in amsterdam, than pay a property tax. Says it all really, me first, country second is their motto. I hope they are pursured to the bitter end, like all tax avoiders who can afford to pay, but choose not to.
    It's a cornerstone of democracy, that a democratic government can impose any tax it sees fit

Actually it has a mandate from the people not to do as it wants but to do as it people wants the people are telling the goverment that this house hold charge is not what they want so therfore how are the goverment mandated to collect ? it is for the people to decide not the goverment, sheep like you need to get that point . It is the peoples right to govern themselves so long as the majority of the people are against something then it does not matter what the goverment of the day think . so long as the people show the goverment they are against it via protest non paying voting etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭Mr CJ

Yeah! I'm going to hire an accountant, set up a limited company and have an accountant do my yearly taxes to evade a €100 charge! I'm so smart!

Stop trying to be insulting!! He means people with a limited company will make adjustments on the books to compensate for any transactions relating to fines which is a resonable comment!! which may go way above €100

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Mr CJ wrote: »
    This is funny... stay on topic?? This is exactly the reason why we are fukd today.
    No it's not.
    Old fashioned catholic beliefs???? Did I mention anything about catholicism or beliefs?? I could not care less how people decide to live.
    You mentioned marriage twice!
    The point I am making is the incredible waste of money, if this was sorted years ago we would not be as bad as we are today and may not be a need for massive tax hikes. How you think this is irrelevant is confusing to me...
    In case you've missed the news over the past 18 months, they're already on this and a hell of a lot have been caught defrauding the system.

Am Chile wrote: »
    Actually it has a mandate from the people not to do as it wants but to do as it people wants the people are telling the goverment that this house hold charge is not what they want so therfore how are the goverment mandated to collect ? it is for the people to decide not the goverment, sheep like you need to get that point . It is the peoples right to govern themselves so long as the majority of the people are against something then it does not matter what the goverment of the day think . so long as the people show the goverment they are against it via protest non paying voting etc.

I think your wasting your time... there will always be the mindless ones out there even willing to pay for the air they breath and argue at how good it is... funny as it may seem but its a hard fact sorry to say

• Registered Users Posts: 20,750 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Stop trying to be insulting!! He means people with a limited company will make adjustments on the books to compensate for any transactions relating to fines which is a resonable comment!! which may go way above €100

Some of these people might need to get better accountants so. Part 2 has the big cases.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/press/defaulters/index.html

You're expecting landlords and speculators to pay this charge then? C'mon. What has history taught you. Tax avoidance by the rich is embraced by FF/FG.

smash wrote: »
    No it's not.

You mentioned marriage twice!

In case you've missed the news over the past 18 months, they're already on this and a hell of a lot haveen caught defrauding the system.

Yes I mentioned marriage as the difference between married and un-married with kids is millions of euro loss every year.

And look at how much money was saved over the last 18 months?????? Multiply that by 10 for the last 10 yrs how many billion has been lost?? Now bare in mind only a fraction of fraudsters have been caught!!

Is that mind opening up yet even a little to realise what I am saying makes perfect sense??

• Advertisement

squod wrote: »
    You're expecting landlords and speculators to pay this charge then? C'mon. What has history taught you. Tax avoidance by the rich is embraced by FF/FG.
    The so-called "rich" pay the majority of the tax in this country, without them we would be in an even worse condition.

A landlord would want to have a significant amount of properties to justify jumping through hoops and hiring accountants to evade these small charges. What % of landlords in the country have more than 1 rented property?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

Am Chile wrote: »

The last thing we need now is a populist government.

It was populist governments who got us into this mess lest we forget. And it was populist governments who got the Greek into their mess. Populist governments are ultimately criminals behind it all, sacrificing the long term future of the country for votes at the next election They encourage short termism and people to think only about themselves.

Yes the government should do what the majority of people want, but within reason. If the majority of people said abolish all tax, only a very bad government would do that.

Of course a property tax isn't popular. Why do you think successive democratically elected governments have avoided it like the plague? There is no votes in suggesting a property tax be brought in. Wasn't rates something like a property tax in the 1970s? And FF abolished it, and we spent most of the 1980s and 1990s trying to recover from stupid, irresponsible, populist decisions like that.

This is why the IMF was brought in, to take the tough decisions that our politicians were too cowardly to enact down through the years for fear of losing votes.

No-one said austerity was going to be easy.

Some of these people might need to get better accountants so. Part 2 has the big cases.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/press/defaulters/index.html

Look at what happening in NAMA. People are using it to offload their bad debts and transfer assets into different companies.

Also how many of those defaulters will negotiate with revenue? How many workers do you think will get to negotiate their property taxes in the same fashion?

One rule for some it seems!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Yes I mentioned marriage as the difference between married and un-married with kids is millions of euro loss every year.
    What the f*ck are you talking about? Not everyone who has a child outside marriage is single or claiming benefits, come back to reality for god sake!
    And look at how much money was saved over the last 12 months?????? Multiply that by 10 for the last 10 yrs how many billion has been lost?? Now bare in mind only a fraction of fraudsters have been caught!!
    Yawn, it's not as rampant as you think.
    Is that mind opening up yet even a little to realise what I am saying makes perfect sense??
    No, no you're not!

A landlord would want to have a significant amount of properties to justify jumping through hoops and hiring accountants to evade these small charges. What % of landlords in the country have more than 1 rented property?

See dxhound2005's defaulters list and tell me again how many landlords and speculators do you imagine will avoid this tax.

These aren't small charges and investors in negative equity won't give two fiddlers about some poxy little fine when compared to their paper losses.

smash wrote: »
    What the f*ck are you talking about? Not everyone who has a child outside marriage is single or claiming benefits, come back to reality for god sake!

Yawn, it's not as rampant as you think.

No, no you're not!

continuing from your yawn I think its time for waky waky... if you believe what you just said there

• Registered Users Posts: 20,300 ✭✭✭✭casio4

haven't the time to read through all the posts so maybe this was asked already, what is the penalty for a late payment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

casio4 wrote: »
    haven't the time to read through all the posts so maybe this was asked already, what is the penalty for a late payment?
    Firing squad.

The question should be what is the penalty if you register and pay!!

Landlords are no more or less tax compliant than anyone else in the state.

What you often see in this country, is someone fiddling social welfare or something like that, and then saying look at those landlords, aren't they awful.

No-one is perfect, but pointing fingers or throwing stones, is a poor reaction imo.

Saying I won't pay because no-one else will, well that's the very definition of being a sheep.

Each person should decide for themselves if they will pay, and what is there to be gained and lost from paying.

I have paid and am glad to have done. I don't consider myself a sheep, quite the contrary. I have gone against the majority for something I believe is right, and that is the principle of replacing stamp duty with a property tax, which is the norm in most European countries. If this tax wasn't the norm in other countries, I'd have my reservations, but the fact it is the norm, makes me think Ireland is out of step and not for the first time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Yeh will there are some good bondholders who have been reliable supporters for Ireland for decades, and really we want to keep those on side and pay them back.

Link please.

Casio try your best to support the hundreds of thousands actually around 1.4 million people by not registering. We won before we will win again with your support.

If you do want to register and sign yourself up to throw away thousands next yr to our beloved government wait to the last minute. Thanks

DONT REGISTER DONT PAY

Link please.

Not going to even bother with this one, because I get the feeling I'd be here all day giving you a lesson in basic macro economics.

Link please.
    Link for what?

Any saver who purchased a National Savings Bond from their local post office.
    Should we be burning these people?

Casio try your best to support the hundreds of thousands actually around 1.4 million people by not registering. We won before we will win again with your support.

If you do want to register and sign yourself up to throw away thousands next yr to our beloved government wait to the last minute. Thanks

DONT REGISTER DONT PAY

Shooting yourself in the foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭barrackali

It's a cornerstone of democracy, that a democratic government can impose any tax it sees fit for the overall good of the country and its future, as opposed to the personal good of some people who refuse to pay.

Refusal to pay any tax to revenue is a serious matter and fundamentally undermines the state.

We lost our soverignty in the last few years precisely becaue we weren't able to raise enough taxes or run ourselves properly.

The only way we can regain the soverignty is by showing the rest of the world, we can pay our way, no matter the cost or the sacrifice.

The issues around Anglo and the other banks is seperate and will eventually be sorted out, much of it with debt swaps and writedowns.

But the issue of our current overspend cannot be easily ignored. We cannot keep borrowing as ultimately that will mean higher interest rates, forcing us to borrow even more to keep pace, and we get into a vicious cycle of borrowing to fund previous borrowings and higher interest rates.

Ultimately some form of property tax, harsh though it is, makes up part of the solution.

And for those idiots who go to Man Utd games in England every week, or the Aviva every time Ireland players, or Leinster, or go on expensive stags abroad, and so on, and then claim they can't afford to pay, they are the lowest form in my opinion, if I may be permitted to say that.

They'd rather spend their money in the merchandise shop of old trafford or a strip club in amsterdam, than pay a property tax. Says it all really, me first, country second is their motto. I hope they are pursured to the bitter end, like all tax avoiders who can afford to pay, but choose not to.

I absolutely agree with the above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Izzy Skint

plasmaguy, that post is a crock of sh!te,
    "We lost our soverignty in the last few years precisely becaue we weren't able to raise enough taxes or run ourselves properly"....wrong, we rose too much tax!!! and spent it on social welfare and public pay rises....and now we can't raise enough tax due to unemployment, debt default etc. ....but the gov. will still try to get blood from the stone instead of looking at where all the good time money was spent and cutting there first.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

dvpower wrote: »
    Link for what?

Any saver who purchased a National Savings Bond from their local post office.
    Should we be burning these people?

There was never that amount of money in the Post Office.

a property tax, which is the norm in most European countries. If this tax wasn't the norm in other countries, I'd have my reservations, but the fact it is the norm, makes me think Ireland is out of step and not for the first time.

Council Tax is the norm. Getting something for your money is the norm. Having your constituency run reasonably efficiently is reasonable. What we have here is none of those things.

• Advertisement

There was never that amount of money in the Post Office.
    So should we burn these bondholders?
    How about people who have bought the new National Solidarity Bonds - should we burn these too?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement