Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you going to pay the household charge? [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,621 ✭✭✭billyhead

If the majority of people do not pay the charge do you not think that there would be uproar by the people who have actually paid and that they will be looking for a refund. I would think most people will pay this charge before the end of the deadline. I have registered and paid it myself and would be weel pissed like plenty of others if a huge amount of people get away with not paying

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

Weylin wrote: »
    Late Payment Penalties.......

READ ALL THE ABOVE AND ABSORB IT ,BEFORE STATING THAT YOU WONT PAY THE CHARGE,IF YOU STILL DONT PAY THEN YOU ARE AN IDIOT.

Not if this morally wrong, unjust and unfair tax, is scrapped, and that is how it is looking. Then it will be those who have paid who are idiots, because Enda won't be sending out refunds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

billyhead wrote: »
    I have registered and paid it myself and would be weel pissed like plenty of others if a huge amount of people get away with not paying

Better spent on a horse. You took a gamble etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

I have registered and paid it myself and would be weel pissed like plenty of others if a huge amount of people get away with not paying
    That's what happened the last time we had a property tax. Lots of people paid. Lots more didn't. The tax was scrapped. The people who paid didn't get a refund. The people who didn't pay largely got away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭greenpilot

If the majority of people do not pay the charge do you not think that there would be uproar by the people who have actually paid and that they will be looking for a refund. I would think most people will pay this charge before the end of the deadline. I have registered and paid it myself and would be weel pissed like plenty of others if a huge amount of people get away with not paying

Why did you jump and pay? Was that not a tad foolish, considering that most people are not paying. This charge will not carry. There are quite a lot of folk with backbones out there... no offence...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭greenpilot

Late Payment Penalties.
    Payments made within 3 and 6 months of 31st March 2012 a 10% penalty plus 1%
    interest per month.
    Payments made between 6 and 12 months late
    a 20% penalty plus 1% interest per
    month .
    Payments more than 12 months late
    a 30% penalty plus 1% interest per month
    So
    if someone is 12 months late paying the €100 household charge – they will owe
    €130 plus another €12 interest – a total of €142.
    If charges remain unpaid, a charge will remain attached to the property the
    accumulated unpaid charges and late payment penalties will have to be discharged in
    full before the transfer or sale of the property can be completed.
    Where a relevant local authority receives payment in full of a household charge, all related late payment fees and late payment interest in respect of a residential property, it shall, on application to it in writing by or on behalf of the owner of the residential property, within 14 days, give that owner a certificate (in this section referred to as a “certificate of discharge”) confirming that the household charge in respect of the year concerned has been paid and that no late payment fee or late payment interest is due or owing in respect of the property for that year.
    READ ALL THE ABOVE AND ABSORB IT ,BEFORE STATING THAT YOU WONT PAY THE CHARGE,IF YOU STILL DONT PAY THEN YOU ARE AN IDIOT.

What planet are you living on buddy...most rural houses will NEVER be sold, as they are family homes, passed on through the generations. We rural folk dont give a flying toss about the Household charge, especially as we already pay for water etc through group water schemes.....jesus you live in a bubble... If you have already paid, it is you, sir who is an idiot.

greenpilot wrote: »
    What planet are you living on buddy...most rural houses will NEVER be sold, as they are family homes, passed on through the generations. We rural folk dont give a flying toss about the Household charge, especially as we already pay for water etc through group water schemes.....jesus you live in a bubble... If you have already paid, it is you, sir who is an idiot.
    Rural dwellers are more likely to pay than urban dwellers according to the recent poll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

greenpilot wrote: »
    Late Payment Penalties.
    Payments made within 3 and 6 months of 31st March 2012 a 10% penalty plus 1%
    interest per month.
    Payments made between 6 and 12 months late
    a 20% penalty plus 1% interest per
    month .
    Payments more than 12 months late
    a 30% penalty plus 1% interest per month
    So
    if someone is 12 months late paying the €100 household charge – they will owe
    €130 plus another €12 interest – a total of €142.
    If charges remain unpaid, a charge will remain attached to the property the
    accumulated unpaid charges and late payment penalties will have to be discharged in
    full before the transfer or sale of the property can be completed.
    Where a relevant local authority receives payment in full of a household charge, all related late payment fees and late payment interest in respect of a residential property, it shall, on application to it in writing by or on behalf of the owner of the residential property, within 14 days, give that owner a certificate (in this section referred to as a “certificate of discharge”) confirming that the household charge in respect of the year concerned has been paid and that no late payment fee or late payment interest is due or owing in respect of the property for that year.

By passed on I assume you mean transferred which requires a transfer order which in order to get one the charges against the property have to be cleared same as if it was sold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

donalg1 wrote: »
    By passed on I assume you mean transferred which requires a transfer order which in order to get one the charges against the property have to be cleared same as if it was sold.

Will written to state that transfer of the property does not pass to your spouse or children until 12 years after you die.
    Family stays living in the house for 12 years after you die, biding their time.

Problem? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

mikom wrote: »
    donalg1 wrote: »

Will written to state that transfer of the property does not pass to your spouse or children until 12 years after you die.

Problem? ;)

Isn't the twelve years only applicable to the penalty interest and the charge itself stays on it? Plus what happens if there are a few children grown up could they wait 12 years to sort it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,731 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

mikom wrote: »

Problem? ;)

Maybe.

(3) Where a person who is the sole owner of a residential property
    dies and, at the date of his or her death, a household charge, a late
    payment fee, late payment interest or any part of such charge, fee or
    interest remains unpaid in relation to that property, no further late
    payment fee or late payment interest shall be payable in accordance
    with subsection (1) in relation to that property until a grant of representation
    to the estate of the deceased person issues to the personal
    representative of such deceased person.
    (4) The personal representative of a deceased person shall, as
    soon as a grant of representation to the estate of the deceased person
    issues to him or her, be liable to pay to the relevant local authority
    the full amount due and owing by the deceased, at the date of his or
    her death, in respect of a household charge and related late payment
    fee and late payment interest.
    (5) If the said full amount is paid by the said personal representative
    within 3 months of the date of issue of a grant of representation
    to the estate of the deceased person, he or she shall have no further
    liability in respect of the said household charge and related late payment
    fee and late payment interest due and owing by the deceased
    at the date of his or her death.
    (6) If the said full amount is not paid by the said personal representative
    within 3 months of the date of issue of a grant of representation
    to the estate of the deceased person, he or she shall be
    liable to pay to the relevant local authority, in addition to the said
    full amount, a late payment fee and late payment interest in respect
    of each month or part of a month in which any part of such charge,
    fee or interest remains unpaid from the date of such issue.
    (7) In this section, a reference to “grant of representation” is,
    where 2 or more such grants are issued to the estate of a deceased
    person, a reference to the first of such grants to issue.

http://www.oireachtas.ie/documents/bills28/bills/2011/7411/b7411s.pdf

Weekend at Bernies 3.

Let's hope it never gets that far.

If this tax is defeated now, there will be no attachment to worry about. They cannot attach a debit without a court order. If this tax fails, neither the government or council are going to try and pursue people through the courts for a tax that is defunct.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭socco

Slick50 wrote: »
    If this tax is defeated now, there will be no attachment to worry about. They cannot attach a debit without a court order. If this tax fails, neither the government or council are going to try and pursue people through the courts for a tax that is defunct.

if this tax fails how are they going to make up the budget shortfall? (not the entire budget shortfall but the money they'd planned to raise with this which they now won't).

socco wrote: »
    if this tax fails how are they going to make up the budget shortfall? (not the entire budget shortfall but the money they'd planned to raise with this which they now won't).

This has been asked and answered numerous times earlier in this thread, in different ways. That is for the government to figure, this is an unfair and unjust tax, it is up to them to come up with a better, and more acceptable way.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

socco wrote: »

That is their problem. Mine is to hang on to my money and that €100 means a lot more to me than it will do for them.

They have plenty well paid (with our tax money :rolleyes:) advisors who can come up with plan B for them. Let Enda's buddy earn the 35K raise he granted him last year :rolleyes:.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭Mr CJ

Thumbs up to father priest!!

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/priest-stands-by-call-for-household-charge-boycott-3037787.html

I read somewhere also that there may be an extension to the DL this proves that the no people are winning!! The government are desperate... they can FOFF and shove there extension where the sun dont shine we still aint paying!!!!

Mr CJ wrote: »
    I read somewhere also that there may be an extension to the DL this proves that the no people are winning!! The government are desperate... they can FOFF and shove there extension where the sun dont shine we still aint paying!!!!

Where did you 'read' this? - I can't see it anywhere.

There was a call for them to extend the date for signing up for Direct Debit payment to the end of March, but this was rejected

Phil Hogan has said people who want to pay by direct debit have had plenty of time to do so and everyone else has until the end of March.

Mr CJ wrote: »

He was on PK this morning and it turns out he's not liable for the charge himself.

Very easy to encourage others to break the law and face the consequences, when there are no consequences for you at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

dvpower wrote: »

Very easy to encourage others to break the law and face the consequences, when there are no consequences for you at all.

Very easy to introduce ridiculous laws designed to bail-out your mates, when there are no consequences for you at all.

• Advertisement

Latest campaign news........
    Campaign Against Household and Water Tax- Major National Rally announced.

In the week that the Government announced that less than 10% have paid
    their hated Household Tax, the Campaign Against the Tax has announced
    a Major Rally to be held in Dublin.

On Saturday 24th March 2012
    Venue;- National Boxing Stadium (South Circular Road) Dublin 8

We would ask all supporters of the campaign to keep that date free and
    to strain every muscle to attend the Rally.
    More details of the rally will follow in the next few days.

The National Steering Committee will meet tomorrow to tie down the
    details in relation to the National Rally .
    The Rally will serve to build up the campaign before the Governments
    deadline on the tax of 31st March.

The venue will comfortably seat 2000 people and we will need
    indications from all of how many are coming.

Pat Waine
    Helpdesk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Groinshot

squod wrote: »
    Very easy to introduce ridiculous laws designed to bail-out your mates, when there are no consequences for you at all.

If this isn't paid though, it's just going to be slapped onto our income tax, which means people like me will be royally ****** over. I don't own a home, so this tax doesn't apply to me, but I know for instance, a friend of mine whos parents are both retired, no pension, but no mortgage, a house worth millions, and savings galore, they're paying jack ****, and I'm forking up 1/5th of what i earn to pay my way through college. In fact, this tax is actually the right direction, meaning people with large savings etc, but very little income are taxed for a change, as opposed to the rest of us who work our asses off, and don't buy houses we can't afford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

Groinshot wrote: »
    If this isn't paid though, it's just going to be slapped onto our income tax, which means people like me will be royally ****** over. I don't own a home, so this tax doesn't apply to me, but I know for instance, a friend of mine whos parents are both retired, no pension, but no mortgage, a house worth millions, and savings galore, they're paying jack ****, and I'm forking up 1/5th of what i earn to pay my way through college. In fact, this tax is actually the right direction, meaning people with large savings etc, but very little income are taxed for a change, as opposed to the rest of us who work our asses off, and don't buy houses we can't afford.

If your friends parents have no mortgage, and savings galore, then it seems that they bought a house that they could afford.
    I'm sure they also paid thousands in stamp duty - so what exactly is your problem with them?

Where did you 'read' this? - I can't see it anywhere.

There was a call for them to extend the date for signing up for Direct Debit payment to the end of March, but this was rejected

That must of been it, my mistake

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

It isn't applicle to me, so it doesn't concern me that much either way.
    But 100euro a year does not seem like much, its not a huge amount for one household to pay, but when all the households in Ireland pay this think how much money it will make the country? I think its a good idea really, a small-ish fee for every household per year until we're out of debt.

Seriously I know a large majority of politicians are corrupt as ****, but in the case of money Ireland is ****ed and every single plan anyone in power comes up with to try and fix it ends up with massive protests, and some group of people somewhere complaining.

Pay the tax. It isn't much for a household to pay. And in a few years it will probably be removed when Ireland is out of debt.

Groinshot wrote: »

Ask those parents how much tax they paid down through the years.
    Ask them to tell you about when they paid 50p tax for each pound earned.
    They probably paid for your parents collage education with their taxes, and they certainly paid for your primary education.

They bought/built the house and paid tax on it at the time as well.
    But 100euro a year does not seem like much, I think its a good idea really, a small-ish fee for every household per year until we're out of debt.
    And in a few years it will probably be removed when Ireland is out of debt.

La-La land

He was on PK this morning and it turns out he's not liable for the charge himself.

This charge will effect everyone either in the future or through family, weather you dont have to pay it or not does not matter, your standing up for what is right for the majority! Fairplay to everyone supporting the campaign who is exempt, at least there not like the other cowards out there looking after number 1 and registering even thou they are exempt! The least they can do is wait till the last minute.

It isn't applicle to me, so it doesn't concern me that much either way.
    But 100euro a year does not seem like much, its not a huge amount for one household to pay, but when all the households in Ireland pay this think how much money it will make the country? I think its a good idea really, a small-ish fee for every household per year until we're out of debt.

Seriously I know a large majority of politicians are corrupt as ****, but in the case of money Ireland is ****ed and every single plan anyone in power comes up with to try and fix it ends up with massive protests, and some group of people somewhere complaining.

Pay the tax. It isn't much for a household to pay. And in a few years it will probably be removed when Ireland is out of debt.

Im not going to waste my time with a big reply the only thing I will say.... WAKE UP!!!

Its worrying when you realize how some ppl think out there....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 388 ✭✭cold sweat

no. taxed to the hilt already. anyone that bought a house more than likely have already paid a stamp duty on it. i have and i dont see why i should be taxed a second time for something i own. paying enough to bondholders etc as it is. what are they going to do? jail everyone that wont pay?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

No, I don't watch TV or read newspapers so I've no idea what any of you are talking about. If this was real I'd assume there'd be some form of official leaflet with grinning gommies inexplicably plastered all over it telling me why it's so great.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement