Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you going to pay the household charge? [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Lol, Ive heard it all now.....
    Freddie59 wrote: »
    A local LABOUR councillor was calling to homes in Waterford during the week trying to get people to sign up for the household charge. FFS - LABOUR!:rolleyes:

Fuckers are shittin' themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

mikom wrote: »

The labour councillor was calling to homes in an unfinished estate telling them that they don't have to pay the household charge and were entitled to apply for a waiver.

I guess some people mightn't know that they were living in a qualifying unfinished estate and this would be a welcome bit of news (and an opportunity for the councilor to say 'I know we've had to make tough decisions, but we are looking out for people like you' or somesuch.)

dvpower wrote: »
    The labour councillor was calling to homes in an unfinished estate telling them that they don't have to pay the household charge and were entitled to apply for a waiver.

I guess some people mightn't know that they were living in a qualifying unfinished estate and this would be a welcome bit of news (and an opportunity for the councilor to say 'I know we've had to make tough decisions, but we are looking out for people like you' or somesuch.)

A numbers game.
    Always pushed to the front of every report released to the press are the numbers that are registered.

Don't worry once all the unfinished estates are registered up then the drawstring on the bag will be pulled and they will have to stump up as well.

Goin' around beggin' for registrations like a rag and bone man. lol.

Don't worry once all the unfinished estates are registered up then the drawstring on the bag will be pulled and they will have to stump up as well.
    Interesting that even lowly councilors are in on this conspiracy:).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭greenpilot

donalg1 wrote: »
    A few people here have said they arent paying it and screw the consequences, I would also assume anyone that doesnt pay it isnt too worried about the consequences.

The reason I am paying it, is because I care about the consequences and dont want a charge registered against my property thats the only reason I am paying it.

I suppose then the protests arent really about the charge being unfair or arent for any moral reason but are really organised by people because they dont want to pay and dont want the charge registered against their property.

Donalg1, I have to laugh at your posts mate. You toddle along, blissfully ignoring the fact that the Majority of the people in the country will not pay. Have you paid already? If you have, I bet you are starting to feel that sheeping feeling in your stomach when you turned right, but really should have swung left....oh dear, roll on the end of March!!

• Advertisement

greenpilot wrote: »
    You toddle along, blissfully ignoring the fact that the Majority of the people in the country will not pay. Have you paid already?
    What colour is your time machine?

Small pup feels big dog will look after him come nomination time perhaps..........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭greenpilot

What colour is your time machine?

Green, and there is no need to edit my post to make your point mate. You must be living in a bubble if you think that most of the sheep will pay. The majority of people in rural Ireland wont be paying the charge. That is a fact, especially owing to the groundswell against the charge. We already pay for our water and do not have any street lights nor adequate road maintainence. So dont wory, I will gladly return to your posts when the whole scheme goes belly up. Even the Company printing the leaflets has gone into recievership for Christs sake. :D

Green, and there is no need to edit my post to make your point mate. You must be living in a bubble if you think that most of the sheep will pay. The majority of people in rural Ireland wont be paying the charge. That is a fact, especially owing to the groundswell against the charge. We already pay for our water and do not have any street lights nor adequate road maintainence. So dont wory, I will gladly return to your posts when the whole scheme goes belly up. Even the Company printing the leaflets has gone into recievership for Christs sake. :D
    No it isn't.

Its your opinion, based, I expect, on nothing more than your hope. And it's not supported by the recent opinion poll, which shows rural people even more likely to pay than urban people.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

At first glance the poll here does not look very encouraging for the Yes side. But if you exclude the Not Applicable and the Don't Know it is actually 40% Yes and the nature of this thread lends itself more towards the anti side IMO. Contrary to what you have observed I see no groundswell against the charge. So if you would like to put some figures to your assertion that the majority will not pay give us the percentages. You might even be able to get some odds from the bookies if you are confident in your predictions.

Previously I gave my prediction as a vague over 50% Yes. I will firm that up now to 58% Yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭invpat

I am totally against this charge but I think come the 31st of March the toadies in this country will probably crash the internet in their efforts to pay.Hope not but the Irish electorate have never failed to disappoint me in the past so why should they start now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

How do you know this, are you a member of labour?

IM not surprised, I read an report earlier, Fergus O Dewd is knocking on doors asking people to sign up to the household charge.

Am Chile wrote: »
    How do you know this, are you a member of labour?
    The person who posted the information, also posted that information (but mikom decided it wasn't relevant).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

invpat wrote: »
    I am totally against this charge but I think come the 31st of March the toadies in this country will probably crash the internet in their efforts to pay.Hope not but the Irish electorate have never failed to disappoint me in the past so why should they start now.

and what if the internet crashed long before they all got a chance to pay?

what will it take to get rid of this charge? If someone went over and gave Phil Hogan an extremely hard kick in the balls would they still carry on with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

But if you exclude the Not Applicable and the Don't Know it is actually 40% Yes

That leaves 60% NO

The figures being published in the press even contradict the ST poll. They got a figure of 10% already paid, where as the total number registered isn't even that, and a percentage of them will have registered to claim a waiver.

The figure for those registered is being presented as a percentage of those due to pay, that is not the same as the number who have to register. That is over 2,000,000, so that drastrically reduces the number/percentage already paid, really about 5% I'd say.

While there is a lot of people who don't mind paying this tax, they will hold back and see how it goes, risking an extra €32 as opposed to potentially saving €100 should it fail.

I'm guessing about a 25%-30% compliance by the end of march, not enough to encourage the government to pursue it. Besides it would take too long to get any worthwhile return, and time is not on their side.

I'll be having a chat with PaddyPower tomorrow to put my money where my mouth is, if the odds are good enough.

eth0 wrote: »

what will it take to get rid of this charge? If someone went over and gave Phil Hogan an extremely hard kick in the balls would they still carry on with it?

Worth a try, but what you gonna do when Hulkamania runs wild on YOU?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Worth a try, but what you gonna do when Hulkamania runs wild on YOU?

Go to Soviet Russia

Local councils are the spawning grounds of politicians.
    The person who posted the information, also posted that information (but mikom decided it wasn't relevant).

Yes, getting as many people as possible to register, to swell the propaganda figures for the press.

It's obviously easier to get people who don't have to pay to register, ha!

Slick50 wrote: »
    That leaves 60% NO

The figures being published in the press even contradict the ST poll. They got a figure of 10% already paid, where as the total number registered isn't even that, and a percentage of them will have registered to claim a waiver.

The figure for those registered is being presented as a percentage of those due to pay, that is not the same as the number who have to register. That is over 2,000,000, so that drastrically reduces the number/percentage already paid, really about 5% I'd say.

While there is a lot of people who don't mind paying this tax, they will hold back and see how it goes, risking an extra €32 as opposed to potentially saving €100 should it fail.

I'm guessing about a 25%-30% compliance by the end of march, not enough to encourage the government to persue it. Besides it would take too long to get any worthwhile return, and time is not on their side.

I'll be having a chat with PaddyPower tomorrow to put my money where my mouth is, if the odds are good enough.

But I was writing about the poll on Boards. Do the calculations for the Yes No figures and it is 40% Yes so your 25%-30% looks dodgy.

Due to the nature of the sample in the ST survey (pages 3/4) they got 10% already paid but in the F demographic this was only 2%, the lowest. But then 58% of the F demographic who hadn't paid said they would pay, the highest. (Pages 9/10) To me that indicates people of small means are delaying paying longer than richer people.

http://issuu.com/behaviour_and_attitudes/docs/sunday-times-february-opinion-poll-report

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

donalg1 wrote: »
    A few people here have said they arent paying it and screw the consequences, I would also assume anyone that doesnt pay it isnt too worried about the consequences.

The reason I am paying it, is because I care about the consequences and dont want a charge registered against my property thats the only reason I am paying it.

I suppose then the protests arent really about the charge being unfair or arent for any moral reason but are really organised by people because they dont want to pay and dont want the charge registered against their property.

Donalg1, I have to laugh at your posts mate. You toddle along, blissfully ignoring the fact that the Majority of the people in the country will not pay. Have you paid already? If you have, I bet you are starting to feel that sheeping feeling in your stomach when you turned right, but really should have swung left....oh dear, roll on the end of March!!

Show me where I said the majority of people will pay?

I have said all along I won't be paying until close to the last day.

What has changed that would make me change my mind about paying?

My decision to pay the charge has never been dependant on the amount of people who pay it, you would know this if you read the thread

Speaking of bookies there was another poll done for Paddy Powers by Red C back on 12 January of which I wasn't aware. It is a bit confusing in that 24% claimed not to know if they were liable for the charge or not but overall it points to a good result for the Yes side.

http://www.politics.ie/forum/current-affairs/179465-redc-poll-paddypower-26-say-they-wont-pay-household-charge.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Mr CJ wrote: »
    Im suprised no one raised this so far...

So funny, this shows you how much of a complete disaster these people are they cant even print flyers, how in gods name can they run a country??

http://breakingnews.ie/archives/2012/0228/ireland/firm-printing-household-charge-information-goes-into-receivership-541548.html

The deadline is today for dd I have never received any info at all about this charge. Backward or what!!

they should get Aengus O Snodaigh to print them

But I was writing about the poll on Boards. Do the calculations for the Yes No figures and it is 40% Yes

Yep, got it this time, that's how I got the....
    Slick50 wrote:
    That leaves 60% NO

so your 25%-30% looks dodgy.

Well, considering the current registration figures, I really can't see people rushing to the extent required to get that much higher by the end of march.
    Due to the nature of the sample in the ST survey (pages 3/4) they got 10% already paid but in the F demographic this was only 2%, the lowest. But then 58% of the F demographic who hadn't paid said they would pay, the highest. (Pages 9/10) To me that indicates people of small means are delaying paying longer than richer people.

Yes, but their final "already paid" figures didn't tally with what we are being told in the media. I'd say they over cooked the demographics.

Of course wealthier people are happy to pay this, if it works they get away relatively lightly. It is not an equitable tax!
    Speaking of bookies there was another poll done for Paddy Powers by Red C back on 12 January of which I wasn't aware. It is a bit confusing in that 24% claimed not to know if they were liable for the charge or not but overall it points to a good result for the Yes side.

That red c poll looks interesting alright, at that rate paddypower should be offering some very tempting odds on my prediction.

Yesterdays anti austerity protest in dublin, rte only showed a few seconds of it on the news earlier.

Interesting report about the numbers paid in galway and numbers they actually need to pay.

Less than 6,000 County Galway home owners have coughed up the controversial household charge so far – that represents a paltry seven per cent compliance among those who are required to pay the fee, which is less than the national average.

This means that there are more than 70,000 households which have not paid the charge across Galway city and county

Next bit makes Interesting reading.

and there are fears at Government level that this will lead to a ‘safety in numbers’

http://www.galwaynews.ie/24533-galway-homeowners-snub-household-levy

That,s exactly what the anti household tax campaign is saying the whole time- there always safety and strength in numbers, while its easy to pick people off on their own, they can,t come after people in big numbers as a community, and they can,t bring everyone to court.

Interesting report about the numbers paid in galway and numbers they actually need to pay.

I'm in Galway county, and there is real hatred of this tax amongst anybody I have spoken to in my area.
    Go out as far as Connemara and it's even worse, with that region being one of the main battlegrounds against the septic tank inspection fees as well.

Safety in numbers.
    Don't register.
    Don't pay.

One month to go........

It is important that those who don't have to pay, don't register either. While they may be exempt today, that could and probably will change in the not too distant future. Once they're in the net they're primed for screwing too. It also gives the wrong impression of numbers paying.

PaddyPower isn't taking bets on the household charge, at the moment anyway. Why the red c poll then?

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Weylin

Late Payment Penalties.
    Payments made within 3 and 6 months of 31st March 2012 a 10% penalty plus 1%
    interest per month.
    Payments made between 6 and 12 months late
    a 20% penalty plus 1% interest per
    month .
    Payments more than 12 months late
    a 30% penalty plus 1% interest per month
    So
    if someone is 12 months late paying the €100 household charge – they will owe
    €130 plus another €12 interest – a total of €142.
    If charges remain unpaid, a charge will remain attached to the property the
    accumulated unpaid charges and late payment penalties will have to be discharged in
    full before the transfer or sale of the property can be completed.
    Where a relevant local authority receives payment in full of a household charge, all related late payment fees and late payment interest in respect of a residential property, it shall, on application to it in writing by or on behalf of the owner of the residential property, within 14 days, give that owner a certificate (in this section referred to as a “certificate of discharge”) confirming that the household charge in respect of the year concerned has been paid and that no late payment fee or late payment interest is due or owing in respect of the property for that year.
    READ ALL THE ABOVE AND ABSORB IT ,BEFORE STATING THAT YOU WONT PAY THE CHARGE,IF YOU STILL DONT PAY THEN YOU ARE AN IDIOT.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Weylin wrote: »
    Late Payment Penalties.

So if someone is 12 months late paying the €100 household charge – they will owe[/LEFT]
    €130 plus another €12 interest – a total of €142.
    If charges remain unpaid, a charge will remain attached to the property the
    accumulated unpaid charges and late payment penalties will have to be discharged in
    full before the transfer or sale of the property can be completed.

If the value of your house has fallen by €100,000 you should now worry about the €142 which may be levied on your home before you sell it. :rolleyes:Economics forum
    >

http://www.finfacts.ie/irishfinancenews/article_1024003.shtml

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement