Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you going to pay the household charge? [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Ghandee wrote: »
    Here's where your hundred euro is going. (which don't forget will soon be thousands)

Not too fussed on Vincent Brown tbh, but at least he managed to get this German banker squirming!

Don't register, don't pay!

It's torturous listening to more than 30 seconds of that bumbling twit. I don't care what point he's making or trying to make, could he not have at least tried to speak using some form of understandable syntax? How the hell did he get a job broadcasting? Paper journalism...ya, no problem but public speaking just doesn't suit him at all
    Write your bloody questions down and come up with some form of order to them instead of just letting your mouth run Vinny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Am Chile wrote: »
    Going nowhere? you obviously haven,t being paying attention to any of the protests, or any of the big public meetings attended by hundreds over the last few weeks
    Big public meetings attended by ... what did you say... 'hundreds':pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

dvpower wrote: »
    Big public meetings attended by ... what did you say... 'hundreds':pac:

Yeah I said hundreds, you can read I take it?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Cowenwatch

Anyone who pays this charge is a fool Full Stop The only way it will work is if everyone pays. If people dont pay the Gov go back to the drawing board. Your controlled by coercion and consent. They cant force you to pay but if you consent to it thats a different kettle of fish. For the love of god stick up for your rights

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Groinshot

Noreen1 wrote: »
    If your friends parents have no mortgage, and savings galore, then it seems that they bought a house that they could afford.
    I'm sure they also paid thousands in stamp duty - so what exactly is your problem with them?
    They did. I have no problem with them, my point is that some people can afford to contribute much much more than they are, whereas others like me are just about getting by on what we've got. the last thing I need is another hike in income tax, because 2% of my salary is more than a hundred quid.
    Seems to me like the people that have the problem paying this are the people who bought houses they couldn't afford anyway...
    mikom wrote: »
    Ask those parents how much tax they paid down through the years.
    Ask them to tell you about when they paid 50p tax for each pound earned.
    They probably paid for your parents collage education with their taxes, and they certainly paid for your primary education.

They bought/built the house and paid tax on it at the time as well.

I know they contributed to that, don't get me wrong, but the fact is they're in a better position to contribute financially than I am, so why shouldn't they?They didn't pay for my parents college education, because neither of my parents have college educations.

To the poster that said there's more families that are the opposite to this, that's true, my family are in the same boat, but if there's a 2% income tax hike, that means that my families total income (including mine) would drop below the point of me being able to afford to rent in dublin, and force me out of college, whereas a 100 euro charge won't kill us. it's the cost of 2 pints a month...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

So from this poll only 39% have actually said that they won't pay.

Considering the demograph of posters on AH I think it's safe to say that, in the general population this figure will be substantially lower.

As the months pass by, and adds in the media highlighting penalties and interest emerge, I think the government will be happy enough with levels of compliance.

ebixa82 wrote: »
    But 20pc of posters aren't liable, so the AH figure is around 50pc

The No campaign is actually going to aid the household charge. It is too small to be sucessful but it does get bits and pieces of media coverage, a constant reminder to people that the charge exists and the deadline is approaching.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

ebixa82 wrote: »

As the months pass by, and adds in the media highlighting penalties and interest emerge, I think the government will be happy enough with levels of compliance.

If you look at just the Yes and No figure, it has been a steady 60% No to 40% Yes all along.

I think a lot of people who are going to pay haven't really thought out the potential long term consequences of this tax. One definite one is it will only increase year after year. What new legislation will they decide to introduce in the future when it becomes more difficult for people to make the payment?

I understand they have to raise taxes. But I don't think it should be raised on something people have already bought and paid for, least of all something as fundamental as the family home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Groinshot wrote: »
    it's the cost of 2 pints a month...

We have been through this "small charge" already. The problem is, its a small charge to get people to register. Then comes the real charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,507 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

robbie7730 wrote: »
    We have been through this "small charge" already. The problem is, its a small charge to get people to register. Then comes the real charge.

Do you think that by not registering this year you will avoid the charge forever? The legislation says otherwise. All you will have succeded in doing is adding interest and arrears to your charge whenever it is collected. Everyone who pays their €100 can sleep easy for the next 9 months.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

Groinshot wrote: »
    They did. I have no problem with them, my point is that some people can afford to contribute much much more than they are, whereas others like me are just about getting by on what we've got. the last thing I need is another hike in income tax, because 2% of my salary is more than a hundred quid.
    Seems to me like the people that have the problem paying this are the people who bought houses they couldn't afford anyway...

I know they contributed to that, don't get me wrong, but the fact is they're in a better position to contribute financially than I am, so why shouldn't they?They didn't pay for my parents college education, because neither of my parents have college educations.

To the poster that said there's more families that are the opposite to this, that's true, my family are in the same boat, but if there's a 2% income tax hike, that means that my families total income (including mine) would drop below the point of me being able to afford to rent in dublin, and force me out of college, whereas a 100 euro charge won't kill us. it's the cost of 2 pints a month...

If your friends parents have no pension, and are living off their savings - then I presume they want to make those savings last as long as possible. Their house is presumably either unsaleable atm, or it's only possible to sell it at a considerable loss.
    If they have no mortgage, and didn't contribute to the "bubble" - then why should they pay for the reckless actions of banks and property developers?

I can afford to pay €100 this year, but I'm not going to.
    Why? Because by 2014/15, the property tax is estimated to cost €800, I'll be liable for water charges, site tax, and a septic tank charge.
    What will all that cost?

I don't know. I do know that I have a daughter finishing college this year, and a son starting next year. It wasn't easy, financially, to put my daughter through college - it will cost even more to get my son through.
    If they keep piling on the taxes, there's a very real possibility that I will not be able to afford to pay for another four years of college.

Faced with a choice between ensuring that my son has a future (even if it's not in this Country), and paying for mistakes that I didn't make - I know which one I will choose.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,496 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Do you think that by not registering this year you will avoid the charge forever? The legislation says otherwise. All you will have succeded in doing is adding interest and arrears to your charge whenever it is collected. Everyone who pays their €100 can sleep easy for the next 9 months.

I hear there's a "Pillow Tax" coming.

Noreen1 wrote: »
    If your friends parents have no pension, and are living off their savings - then I presume they want to make those savings last as long as possible. Their house is presumably either unsaleable atm, or it's only possible to sell it at a considerable loss.
    If they have no mortgage, and didn't contribute to the "bubble" - then why should they pay for the reckless actions of banks and property developers?

I can afford to pay €100 this year, but I'm not going to.
    Why? Because by 2014/15, the property tax is estimated to cost €800, I'll be liable for water charges, site tax, and a septic tank charge.
    What will all that cost?

I don't know. I do know that I have a daughter finishing college this year, and a son starting next year. It wasn't easy, financially, to put my daughter through college - it will cost even more to get my son through.
    If they keep piling on the taxes, there's a very real possibility that I will not be able to afford to pay for another four years of college.

Faced with a choice between ensuring that my son has a future (even if it's not in this Country), and paying for mistakes that I didn't make - I know which one I will choose.

€800 estimated by who? Water metering if it comes in will be a good idea making people conserve a precious resource. What site tax? Septic tank inspection charge is €5 once off. If your septic tank is causing pollution you should fix it, if it isn't then no need to worry.

I hear there's a "Pillow Tax" coming.

It will depend on the size of your head.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,496 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

It will depend on the size of your head.

As long as it's not the size of your brain then :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Everyone who pays their €100 can sleep easy for the next 9 months.

Well i hope the people who dont sleep well at night because of financial difficulties, do find that paying this charge works wonders for their insomnia.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

My wife just paid it. I'm furious about it. While it's only €100 now, it will be more next year. I fundamentally disagree with taxing a family home, especially when the funds from it are going to pay banking debt we've already been saddled with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

I'm renting so this charge doesn't currently apply to me.

I am completely against the manner in which local authorities are advertising this charge. The public seem to be under the impression that the money they pay to their local authority "to fund local services" will stay with the local authority. It doesn't. It goes back to central government. Originally local authorities were to have nothing to do with this charge at all. Hogan only back-tracked when it finally dawned on him that 1.6m people are not going to pay this charge online so a cash alternative had to be looked at. Sure, there was going to be a €10 penalty for paying in cash ffs.

Also, the agency that were originally tasked with collecting this money doesn't legally exist as its a merger of two government bodies that hasn't happened yet. The whole thing is just dodge.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

All the protests with only hundreds attending is very misleading,the sheer amount of people that didn't attend any protest yet are refusing to pay is staggering so those posters with the smart remarks about the "small protests" are sorely mistaken and underestimate the wave of anger over this.I've yet to meet anyone who is going to pay it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

zerks wrote: »
    All the protests with only hundreds attending is very misleading,the sheer amount of people that didn't attend any protest yet are refusing to pay is staggering so those posters with the smart remarks about the "small protests" are sorely mistaken and underestimate the wave of anger over this.I've yet to meet anyone who is going to pay it.

Quoted for truth.
    The very design of this tax makes it one of the easiest to protest........ simply sit at home and do nothing.

• Advertisement

How can you possibly know that the numbers refusing to pay is staggering?
    All we have to tell these numbers are the poll results, the protest numbers and anecdote.

More wishful thinking.
    By the way, everyone I ask is going to pay it. Go figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

I meet ans speak to a lot of different people every day. Of the many people I have spoken to, only one has registered to pay the charge, others were non committal but the vast majority were opposed and determined not to pay.

That is my experience from talking to people, not a scientific poll or anything.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

How can you possibly know that the numbers refusing to pay is staggering?
    All we have to tell these numbers are the poll results, the protest numbers and anecdote.

More wishful thinking.
    By the way, everyone I ask is going to pay it. Go figure.

You must have asked your local Gardai-they have to pay it.

You must have asked your local Gardai-they have to pay it.
    Every non exempted householder has to pay it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Every non exempted householder has to pay it.

And so far only +/- 10% have.

Complete failure IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Did anyone get a leaflet through the door about this yet? I got one today (strange i thought as it is a saturday so obviously wasn't delivered by the postman). I am in a rural area too

Also the girlfriends father came across someone today around his yard and when he approached him the man asked had he registered his septic tank. Assuming the guy was just casing the place he was told to get off the land which he did. Again if he was an official, it was strange because it's the weekend. :confused:

Public meetings have being attended by thousands around the country, as for some of the protests that have drawn hundreds there,s a reason for that, some of those protests are in small towns/small villages.

Some recent protests, photos from todays anti austerity protest in Tipperary.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/media/set/?set=a.10150558662690887.373764.545750886&type=3

SeaFields wrote: »
    Did anyone get a leaflet through the door about this yet? I got one today (strange i thought as it is a saturday so obviously wasn't delivered by the postman). I am in a rural area too

Also the girlfriends father came across someone today around his yard and when he approached him the man asked had he registered his septic tank. Assuming the guy was just casing the place he was told to get off the land which he did. Again if he was an official, it was strange because it's the weekend. :confused:

Was it this leaflet you received?

http://www.sdublincoco.ie/viewdocument.aspx?id=7665c662-030e-41cd-88c6-9ff600ea13ab

Am Chile wrote: »
    ... as for some of the protests that have drawn hundreds there,s a reason for that, some of those protests are in small towns/small villages.
    The turnouts in the large urban centres were also very low, for example, an anti household charge protest in Cork attracted only 500 people.
    That doesn't point to large scale opposition, and nor do the polls. Time will tell I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Yep, thats the one. I assume people must have got it a lot earlier than us so.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement