Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you going to pay the household charge? [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,859 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Ghandee wrote: »
    Taken from Irish Times Website (roughly updated an hour ago)

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0228/breaking21.html

Just over 133,000 homes have been registered for the €100 household charge

Spineless gits. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

Ghandee wrote: »
    Taken from Irish Times Website (roughly updated an hour ago)

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0228/breaking21.html

Just over 133, 000 homes have been registered for the €100 household charge, the Department of the Environment has said, as the deadline approaches for those who wish to pay by direct debit.

Some 133,365 properties had been registered by yesterday evening, raising a total of €13.3 million. The Government expects to raise about €160 million from the charge this year but has already pledged to replace it with a property tax.

Tomorrow is the final date for setting up direct debits to allow householders pay the charge online in four €25 installments.

Householders have until March 31st to pay the €100 and failure to pay that date will result in penalties, on a sliding scale depending on how late the payment is made.

A late payment fee of 10 per cent will be added if the charge is paid within six months of March 31st. This will increase to 20 per cent after six months and to 30 per cent after a year.

Late payment interest of 1 per cent per month from the due date will also apply until the charge has been paid.

The Department of the Environment said people may choose to pay the €100 online by credit or debit card, or by cheque, postal order or bank draft at their local authority office.

Payment forms may also be downloaded from the householdcharge.ie website and sent by post.

Chair of the Household Charge Project Board Jackie Maguire warned that non-payment of the charge was an offence and that late payments would be subject to increasing fines.

She said information circulating online that residential property owners could “opt out” of the charge where they had not “given consent” to the law was incorrect.

Property owners were bound by the laws passed by the Oireachtas and they could not avoid those laws by “withdrawing consent” to them, Ms Maguire said.

Minister for the Environment Phil Hogan said anyone who had a preference for paying the charge in instalments should register online to do so either today or tomorrow.

There were some problems with the householdcharge.ie website this morning, but the Department of the Environment said it expected these would be addressed shortly.

The Campaign Against Household and Water Taxes said the fact that only 133,365 properties had been registered confirmed that “mass non-registration” was “entirely possible”.

It called on householders to maintain a boycott of what it said was “an austerity tax to benefit the bondholders and super wealthy”.

Which works at 8% who have signed up-so for January 5% registered to pay-near the end of February 8% have registered to pay-meaning for the month of February-just an extra 3% registered to pay- no wonder phil hogan is making threats today about tracking down anyone who hasn,t paid-by the way anyone wishing to pay by installments deadline is up tomorrow-Id imagine most people who plan on paying would pay by installments rather then pay the 100 euro in one go.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I got the Dont Register Dont Pay leaflet in through the door at 9 o'clock last night and I see a big poster at one of our roundabouts. Someone is spending a bit of money on this. The Dundalk meeting is in the Muirhevnamore Sports Complex at 7.30 pm on Wednesday 29th. I know we are on different sides but if you go along could you ask about their plan to deal with what happens when a house with arrears is being sold.

I never got the Government leaflet yet.

I don't think i will be able to attend at that time. Just picking up a family member at the Railway Station at 7.
    Is there not another public meeting at the Square at 6.oo p.m. ? I heard there was. Might be one organised by the Occupy movement.

Some videos of the rallies/protests from this past weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

For me, I'm not paying to try and make this, morally wrong unfair and unjust, tax unworkable, so Enda and co. will have to go back and come up with a better and more equitable way of raising money.

You've posted a very good reason for trying to defeat this tax from the beginning.. http://www.nyc.gov/html/dof/html/property/property_bill_taxlien.shtml ... though I'm sure that wasn't your intention.
    donalg1 wrote: »
    A few people here have said they arent paying it and screw the consequences, I would also assume anyone that doesnt pay it isnt too worried about the consequences.

When they say screw the consequences, they mean they won't be cowered into compliance by threats of fines and penalties.
    The reason I am paying it, is because I care about the consequences and dont want a charge registered against my property thats the only reason I am paying it.

If it is defeated from the outset, there won't be any charges registered against anybody's home. That would be a long way down the road either ways, and requires a court order. You would still have plenty of oportunities to give in before that ever happened.
    I suppose then the protests arent really about the charge being unfair or arent for any moral reason but are really organised by people because they dont want to pay and dont want the charge registered against their property.

It's not about the charge, it's about it being levied against our homes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

same people who areruining the country are now trying to place a debt against your home. Do you trust them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Dubit10

Great to see so few people paying the charge as it stands. Very unfair tax and hopefully it could be the start of people in this nation standing up for themselves for a change.

Meant to post this earlier about the threat to dock wages/social welfare.
    Today on radio it was suggested that the Government will take money from the wages and social welfare payments of people who do not pay the Household Charge. Can I clarify that this is not true. The Taoiseach himself on 08 February 2012 in the Dáil stated that there is no legislation nor is there any legislation being contemplated which will allow any monies to be taken from anyone’s wages or social welfare payments in this regard. The Taoiseach added that there were Constitutional Issues which make the introduction of such legislation extremely difficult. If a change is to be made to the Constitution we the people of Ireland must vote to allow the change to be made. I hope this clarifies the situation.

http://wuag.wordpress.com/2012/02/27/monies-can-not-be-taken-from-wages-or-social-welfare-payments/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Slick50 wrote: »
    For me, I'm not paying to try and make this, morally wrong unfair and unjust, tax unworkable, so Enda and co. will have to go back and come up with a better and more equitable way of raising money.

You've posted a very good reason for trying to defeat this tax from the beginning.. http://www.nyc.gov/html/dof/html/property/property_bill_taxlien.shtml ... though I'm sure that wasn't your intention.

When they say screw the consequences, they mean they won't be cowered into compliance by threats of fines and penalties.

If it is defeated from the outset, there won't be any charges registered against anybody's home. That would be a long way down the road either ways, and requires a court order. You would still have plenty of oportunities to give in before that ever happened.

It's not about the charge, it's about it being levied against our homes.

I didnt post that originally.

I know the charges that may or may not be registered against my property wont be done until way down the road but by that time if I had to pay I would be paying more than €100 with the late payment penalties and interest.

Again thought the sole reason I am paying is I dont want to risk having a charge placed on my property, I know thats not guaranteed to happen but I still dont want to take that risk.

I didnt post that originally.

I know the charges that may or may not be registered against my property wont be done until way down the road but by that time if I had to pay I would be paying more than €100 with the late payment penalties and interest.

Again thought the sole reason I am paying is I dont want to risk having a charge placed on my property, I know thats not guaranteed to happen but I still dont want to take that risk.

So did you pay it the last time? What fines did you recieve. Did 96% of the population get fined, go to jail or get penalised by a judge?

It was law back then, what happened? Why do you imagine that this time will be any different?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

So did you pay it the last time? What fines did you recieve. Did 96% of the population get fined, go to jail or get penalised by a judge?

It was law back then, what happened? Why do you imagine that this time will be any different?
    Its a good question. According to the Revenue Commissioners they are still collecting it, but the exemption threshold for this bears no relationship to the actual treshold.

I'd say that anyone who doesn't pay the household charge might get away with it if the tax is subsequently scrapped, but times have radically altered since then, so its a bit of a bet.
    revenue.ie wrote:
    The Market Value Exemption Threshold 5 April 2006 is €1,389,000. While Residential Property Tax was abolished with effect from 5th April 1997, a Clearance Certificate procedure remains in place in relation to the sale of certain residential properties to assist the Revenue Commissioners to collect outstanding tax.
    The value threshold relating to the Residential Property Tax Certificate of Clearance has been increased to €1,389,000 in accordance with the "indexation" provisions in the legislation (Section 100 Finance Act 1983, as amended).
    The new threshold, which relates exclusively to the tax clearance procedure, applies to house sale contracts executed on or after 5th April 2006. From that date, where the sale consideration for residential property exceeds €1,389,000 the vendor must provide the purchaser with a Certificate from the Revenue Commissioners indicating that all Residential Property Tax due for years for which the tax was in operation has been paid. In the absence of the certificate the purchaser is obliged to withhold a specified amount from the sale consideration and remit same to the Revenue Commissioners (Section 110A Finance Act 1983, as amended).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Earlier in the thread you said you were paying it because it was the law. A slight change there. Nothing wrong with that, but it is a change in reasoning just the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭out da lough

The government will do everything they can to ensure that non payment of the proposed household charge is not linked to the upcoming referendum on the EU fiscal compact.

Well, in my opinion, the two issues are linked: why? Because I have decided to link them.

So, if they want me to vote yes to their referendum, they can drop this proposed household charge.

And I intend doing everything I can to link the two issues to each other.

Vote NO to the household charge.

When was the last time, bear in mind now I am under 30 so probably is an n/a to that one!!

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Earlier in the thread you said you were paying it because it was the law. A slight change there. Nothing wrong with that, but it is a change in reasoning just the same.

Its not really its the same reason, the law says I have to pay €100 to stop a charge being registered against my property which is something I dont want happening so I am paying the €100.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

When was the last time, bear in mind now I am under 30 so probably is an n/a to that one!!

Its not really its the same reason, the law says I have to pay €100 to stop a charge being registered against my property which is something I dont want happening so I am paying the €100.

I suppose so. It will be interesting to see what happens anyway, as the closing date looms.

I was 13 so!!

I suppose so. It will be interesting to see what happens anyway, as the closing date looms.

Yeah I will be surprised if they get above half of people paying it, but will be interesting to see what happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

Yeah I will be surprised if they get above half of people paying it, but will be interesting to see what happens.

Is the closing date today??

• Advertisement

drdeadlift wrote: »
    Is the closing date today??

No today is the deadline for signing up for a direct debit, after today if you want to pay you will have to pay the full amount in one go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

No today is the deadline for signing up for a direct debit, after today if you want to pay you will have to pay the full amount in one go

I see, I had totally forgot about it. Not paid it yet anway. :cool:

I'll just add it to the other bills I owe. It will just have to wait its turn, I'm afraid.

I bet those that paid were the same kids in school that always had their assignments in days before the due date. ;)

I see, I had totally forgot about it. Not paid it yet anway. :cool:

I'll just add it to the other bills I owe. It will just have to wait its turn, I'm afraid.

I bet those that paid were the same kids in school that always had their assignments in days before the due date. ;)

I never did my homework so you could be right.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭Mr CJ

Im suprised no one raised this so far...

So funny, this shows you how much of a complete disaster these people are they cant even print flyers, how in gods name can they run a country??

http://breakingnews.ie/archives/2012/0228/ireland/firm-printing-household-charge-information-goes-into-receivership-541548.html

The deadline is today for dd I have never received any info at all about this charge. Backward or what!!

Mr CJ wrote: »
    Im suprised no one raised this so far...

So funny, this shows you how much of a complete disaster these people are they cant even print flyers, how in gods name can they run a country??

http://breakingnews.ie/archives/2012/0228/ireland/firm-printing-household-charge-information-goes-into-receivership-541548.html

The deadline is today for dd I have never received any info at all about this charge. Backward or what!!

Whats the bets this will used as an excuse by them to extend the deadlines, without losing too much face, seeing as how the number of registrations is so low at 8%

1996. DV Power has already answered. No prosecution, no one went to jail etc. The con job didn't pay off last time.

Am Chile wrote: »
    Whats the bets this will used as an excuse by them to extend the deadlines, without losing too much face, seeing as how the number of registrations is so low at 8%

Yes and more time to use there scare and bully tactics!! Does anyone know the company that printed the leaflets? I wonder did they go out of business because they charge sky high prices, the government are fantastic for getting things at the highest cost!! I know one huge company that could of printing these for a few grand, but how much did they spend?

Unless the director of the printing company was a CAHWT member :rolleyes:

The poll here does not add up, how is there so many (21%) that this charge is not applicable to? I thought there was around 10% only that the charge was not applicable to? And also if its not applicable why bother coming here and voting?

Mr CJ wrote: »
    The poll here does not add up, how is there so many (21%) that this charge is not applicable to? I thought there was around 10% only that the charge was not applicable to? And also if its not applicable why bother coming here and voting?

If its 10% its not applicable to, that would be 10 percent of home owners. Not everyone that is viewing this thread will be a home owner.

• Advertisement

If its 10% its not applicable to, that would be 10 percent of home owners. Not everyone that is viewing this thread will be a home owner.

Of course, its been a long day!! Lets hope the ones who are not sure will turn to a NO

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement