Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you going to pay the household charge? [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

mikom wrote: »
    Latest campaign news........
    Campaign Against Household and Water Tax- Major National Rally announced.
    A Major National Rally - sounds impressive.
    The venue will comfortably seat 2000 people and we will need
    indications from all of how many are coming.
    2000 person capacity - a damp squib in the making.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 388 ✭✭cold sweat

Mr CJ wrote: »
    Im not going to waste my time with a big reply the only thing I will say.... WAKE UP!!!

Its worrying when you realize how some ppl think out there....

wake up flyingirishman!! it will just increase every year. as for going away, dream on. they said the exact same thing when a levy was put on car insurance to prop up pmpa. pmpa is long gone but the motorist is still paying the levy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

dvpower wrote: »
    A Major National Rally - sounds impressive.

2000 person capacity - a damp squib in the making.

Ruth Coppinger(SP) was on VB the other night saying they had 1000s, Clare Daly struggled to get a 100 protesters at a rally in her constituency recently. I paid up but I am just wondering how many of the posters here actually fall within the charge especially the ones against it!

Fairplay to everyone supporting the campaign who is exempt, at least there not like the other cowards out there looking after number 1 and registering even thou they are exempt!
    Insulting people who aren't on your side on this issue and who are just doing what the law requires of them probably isn't going to win over any waverers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Groinshot wrote: »
    If this isn't paid though, it's just going to be slapped onto our income tax, which means people like me will be royally ****** over.

Look at it another way. Take the counterfeit that was used by the Irish central bank to bail Anglo. Do you want that levied against your wages?

The IMF are coming to our rescue. Maybe that was due to certain people raising awareness of this issue with them.
    The International Monetary Fund says it is urging the European Union and the European Central Bank to restructure the Anglo Irish Bank promissory notes.
    Mary Lou McDonald has said .....the Government must not pay €3.1bn on the promissory note at the end of the month.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0302/bailout.html

This household ''tax'' is stoppable. It will send a message to them. It'll send a message to Europe directly. If income tax rises that'll be a battle for another day. One thing at a time. Keep Ireland's problems in the spotlight and hope others can help us. Best we can do now FF/FG are elected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭regress

The charge can be defeated if enough people dont pay. Sadly though most are likely to cave in. We Irish don't really do protest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

socco wrote: »
    if this tax fails how are they going to make up the budget shortfall? (not the entire budget shortfall but the money they'd planned to raise with this which they now won't).

If there is a shortfall €160 million I'd be amazed. The increase in VAT, the continuing numbers of people leaving the country and people frightened to spend will ensure there will be a more significant shortfall than €160 million this property tax was supposed to bring in.

regress wrote: »
    The charge can be defeated if enough people dont pay. Sadly though most are likely to cave in. We Irish don't really do protest.

The overwhelming majority didn't pay last time. Why do you imagine people will pay it now?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,507 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

[/QUOTE]

Eamonn O'Cuiv and Martin Ferris on the same platform, interesting. And of course the redoubtable Mattie McGrath. And Joe Higgins appears to have a new found interest in rural sewerage.

I heard on Radio 1 Drivetime that 183,000 have now paid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

I heard on Radio 1 Drivetime that 183,000 have now paid.

A little over 12%.
    A long way to even 50% compliance.

• Advertisement

mikom wrote: »
    A little over 12%.
    A long way to even 50% compliance.

What's your prediction for 31st March?

What's your prediction for 31st March?

Approx 25%.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭The_Thing

Priest stands by call for household charge boycott:
    A CATHOLIC priest has rejected calls from a senator to end his support for a boycott of the household charge.

Father Brian O'Fearraigh addressed a public meeting in Gweedore, Co Donegal, last night and urged people not to pay the new €100 charge.

However, Labour senator Jimmy Harte said the priest was using his position to encourage people to "break the law".

Fr O'Fearraigh described the new charge as "robbery" and said he would not listen to "any bishop or government" on the issue.

"I believe this is an unjust law and I am advising people not to pay it. It is wrong," said the priest, who is based at Derrybeg in Gweedore.

"It is not benefiting the ordinary people. Words must flow and the people's voices must be heard.

"It's a duty for all priests to stand with their people and show solidarity. I was ordained to serve my community and we must stand by the people and send a strong message to the Government," he said.

Fr O'Fearraigh admitted he will not have to pay the charge because he lives in rented accommodation but said he wanted all his fellow priests to support his call not to pay.

However, Mr Harte criticised the priest.

"I go to Mass to hear religious instruction and not to be told to break the law," he said.

"If people pick and choose what laws they want to obey then we'll end up with anarchy."

- Greg Harkin

Irish Independent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

The_Thing wrote: »
    Priest stands by call for household charge boycott:

I'd go as far as saying it's a sin to pay the household charge.

Bless you my child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Here's where your hundred euro is going. (which don't forget will soon be thousands)

Not too fussed on Vincent Brown tbh, but at least he managed to get this German banker squirming!

Don't register, don't pay!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

Il go further and say if you re going to pay the household charge, you might as well post enda kenny your wages/pay cheque every week and ask how much do you want to take from my wages/pay cheque this week enda.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭Mr CJ

cold sweat wrote: »
    wake up flyingirishman!! it will just increase every year. as for going away, dream on. they said the exact same thing when a levy was put on car insurance to prop up pmpa. pmpa is long gone but the motorist is still paying the levy.

Flyingirishman needs to come back down from the clouds...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

It isn't applicle to me, so it doesn't concern me that much either way.
    But 100euro a year does not seem like much, its not a huge amount for one household to pay, but when all the households in Ireland pay this think how much money it will make the country? I think its a good idea really, a small-ish fee for every household per year until we're out of debt.

Seriously I know a large majority of politicians are corrupt as ****, but in the case of money Ireland is ****ed and every single plan anyone in power comes up with to try and fix it ends up with massive protests, and some group of people somewhere complaining.

Pay the tax. It isn't much for a household to pay. And in a few years it will probably be removed when Ireland is out of debt.

You best come down a bit, the hypoxia is affecting you up there.

Insulting people who aren't on your side on this issue and who are just doing what the law requires of them probably isn't going to win over any waverers.

This is not got to do with sides, 5000 people registered for this within the first 2 days of this year, these 5000 people are precisely the reason why our government dont give a **** about the people and look for ways all the time to screw us because there is always the gob****es that do what they say. Instead of saying hang on a minute lets check this out first and asking questions to the government, they just say yes sir how much do you want here is my wallet... these people are cowards say what you want.

Does anyone know the exact amount we will be charged next year????? Nobody can yet 182,000 ran of and agreed something they have not got a notion about! Coward behaviour stupidity call it what you want...

• Advertisement

This is not got to do with sides, 5000 people registered for this within the first 2 days of this year, these 5000 people are precisely the reason why our government dont give a **** about the people and look for ways all the time to screw us because there is always the gob****es the do what they say. Instead of saying hang on a minute lets check this out first and asking questions to the government, they just say yes sir how much do you want here is my wallet... these people are cowards say what you want.

Does anyone know the exact amount we will be charged next year????? Nobody can yet 182,000 ran of and agreed something they have not got a notion about! Coward behaviour stupidity call it what you want...

It didn't occur to you that maybe these people think that a property tax is actually a really good idea that ought to be in the mix and that maybe they don't agree with your anlaysis of how we get out of the hole we're in?

You might disagree with them - and that's fair enough. But you can't help youself from calling them cowardly (and now stupid).
    You must know that calling people stupid doesn't encourage anyone who doesn't already agree with you to listen to anything else you have to say, unless...

It didn't occur to you that maybe these people think that a property tax is actually a really good idea that ought to be in the mix and that maybe they don't agree with your anlaysis of how we get out of the hole we're in?

You might disagree with them - and that's fair enough. But you can't help youself from calling them cowardly (and now stupid).
    You must know that calling people stupid doesn't encourage anyone who doesn't already agree with you to listen to anything else you have to say, unless...

Anyone thinking this new charge is a good idea needs there head examined for starters, and about your other comments, you know what they say about the truth?? it always hurts!

To make things clear I want this country to get out of this hole as much as everyone else my business is suffering because of it, but any educated person I have spoke to about this agree that it is the wrong approach, as someone said on this before its like trying to lift yourself using a skipping rope it makes no sense! Go back and check out the posts a few good ideas have been suggested and I believe there is many more.

If you believe that most of these people registered because they think its a good idea you are being misled, I have read another forum before asking why so many registered at the start and most of the answers were "I just wanted to get it out of the way incase I forgot about it but I didnt like paying" I agree there are a few that think it is genuinly a good idea but these are a very small portion smaller than you might think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Hard to imagine someone would take out a mortgage to buy or build a house, spend 20 or 30 years paying it off and then say "Yeah, I really should be paying the government a few 100e or 1k a year so I can continue to live here"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭The_Thing

My Dad died about 7 years ago, but before that I inherited a farmhouse and some land. To this very day I have not changed his name to mine on the ESB bill, so even if the worst comes to the worst and the houshold charge does come in they can't use the name on the bill to get the money :D

Also this week I had a phone call on Wednesday at work from a woman enquiring about the houshold charge, banker bailout charge, lucky for her she had the wrong number\department, I asked had she looked at the website and she said no and so I gave her the whole don't register, don't pay spiel. She thanked me and hung up :D

Don't register \ Don't pay \ Fcuk Them.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Callipo

If this isn't paid though, it's just going to be slapped onto our income tax, which means people like me will be royally ****** over. I don't own a home, so this tax doesn't apply to me, but I know for instance, a friend of mine whos parents are both retired, no pension, but no mortgage, a house worth millions, and savings galore, they're paying jack ****, and I'm forking up 1/5th of what i earn to pay my way through college. In fact, this tax is actually the right direction, meaning people with large savings etc, but very little income are taxed for a change, as opposed to the rest of us who work our asses off, and don't buy houses we can't afford.

Income tax is where it should be. Or is tbh.

It is not paying for having a home but for street lighting and all the other crap/lies.

eth0 wrote: »
    Hard to imagine someone would take out a mortgage to buy or build a house, spend 20 or 30 years paying it off and then say "Yeah, I really should be paying the government a few 100e or 1k a year so I can continue to live here"

Not so hard to imagine really. Name me 5 or 10 countries which do not impose a tax on private property based on some formula connected with it's value and I will name you 100 that do. And this is not some new fangled invention of someones imagination, it has a long history including being in place in this country more years than not.

Our new version (imposed as part of the current requirements on us as members of the EU) differs this year in that it is a flat rate of €100 but that will be changed in future. The debate around where the money is spent is one of political opinions. I know that the Local Government Fund into which the Household Charge is being placed will not be extra spending for local services. But to argue that the money it is displacing is being set aside to pay for Anglo Irish Bank for instance is just a political opinion and you may as well argue that you won't pay income tax because a lot of it will be used for the same purpose.

I look forward to a time when taxation and spending will be placed on a proper footing in this country and the property tax could be used to fund local services just like in the North. As far as I am concerned the debate was over as soon as this became law and while "Dont Register, Dont Pay" is a fine slogan that campaign is going nowhere and will only lead to trouble for those who follow it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

If this isn't paid though, it's just going to be slapped onto our income tax, which means people like me will be royally ****** over. I don't own a home, so this tax doesn't apply to me, but I know for instance, a friend of mine whos parents are both retired, no pension, but no mortgage, a house worth millions, and savings galore, they're paying jack ****, and I'm forking up 1/5th of what i earn to pay my way through college. In fact, this tax is actually the right direction, meaning people with large savings etc, but very little income are taxed for a change, as opposed to the rest of us who work our asses off, and don't buy houses we can't afford.

Ya know for every one of those families there's a good few other families living in a decent size house but have feck all disposable income. Certainly the exception not the rule. If they have no pension then the govt is saving money by not having to pay them one and that will amount to a lot more than some silly property tax.

This tax is applicable to anyone who uses a permanent structure as their place of residence, whether you own it or not. If you stay put and you are a good tenant you might not see 30-50e per month slapped onto your rent straight away but you won't be able to dodge the resulting rent increase forever.

eth0 wrote: »
    Where did you get the idea that continuing to live in ones house was contingent on paying the household charge?:confused:

No wonder you're against it.

As far as I am concerned the debate was over as soon as this became law and while "Dont Register, Dont Pay" is a fine slogan that campaign is going nowhere and will only lead to trouble for those who follow it.

Sour grapes forum
    >

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

Not so hard to imagine really.
    I"Dont Register, Dont Pay" is a fine slogan that campaign is going nowhere and will only lead to trouble for those who follow it.

Going nowhere? you obviously haven,t being paying attention to any of the protests, or any of the big public meetings attended by hundreds over the last few weeks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement