Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chuggers Getting Fresh??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Dump

summerskin wrote: »
    Of course they can say a word, stop talking drivel. Also if you intentionally walk into someone who is standing still, you're a bully. Now climb back behind your keyboard and pretend you are a big man again.

Funny thing is they probably all earn more than you, if you work at all.

You are obviously a chugger I take it.

And yes, they earn more than me. Chuggers earn more than me. Chuggers do.

And I'm on my smartphone, no keyboard in sight chicken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Dump wrote: »
    On Talbot St. the other day some big fat pig of a girl actually stuck her leg out in front of me while asking my name.

I find by increasing pace and essentially banging into them that usually puts them in their place. As they move to obstruct my path it is not my fault if they get a bit of a shoulder off me.

Although lately I have found myself to be drawn into their line of fire and playing a game of human bowling with them, knocking them out of my path. They tend not to be so friendly and curious of my name after that.

Immense sense of satisfaction after.
    Iwas walking down O' Connell Street the other week and one of them tried to walk in front of me so I decked him then the other chuggers ran in and I decked them then they called their uncles and brothers so I decked them then the Guards tried to break it up so they got decked as well.

Pace2008 wrote: »
    Iwas walking down O' Connell Street the other week and one of them tried to walk in front of me so I decked him then the other chuggers ran in and I decked them then they called their uncles and brothers so I decked them then the Guards tried to break it up so they got decked as well.

What's so hard to believe about banging off someone that gets in your way? :confused:

Ever been to a concert anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jaja321

What's so hard to believe about banging into someone that get's in your way ffs?

I seriously doubt anyone stuck their leg out in front of you to stop you nor do I believe you bowled them over with your might. You’re just being sensationalist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

You are obviously a chugger I take it.

And yes, they earn more than me. Chuggers earn more than me. Chuggers do.

And I'm on my smartphone, no keyboard in sight chicken.

Nah worked as one nearly a decade ago in London primarily, and also in Dublin and Belfast. Moved into management quickly which helped be build a career where I now run a group of businesses in Ireland with a €300m+ annual turnover, so chugging can be pretty useful if you work for the right companies and progress into the managerial side.

All the crap talked on here is just that, a chugger might get told to fuck off once a week, and in two years doing it only one person threatened physical violence, at which point I offered to take him up on his offer, and he swiftly departed.

Chugger rage is so out-dated now, about time Dublin caught up with the rest of the world and got over it.

• Advertisement

jaja321 wrote: »
    I seriously doubt anyone stuck their leg out in front of you to stop you nor do I believe you bowl them over with your might. You’re just being sensationalist.

The fat pig did. Ugly pig, northen accent.

And I never said I bowled anyone over, I just banged into them as if I hadn't seen them.

Nah worked as one nearly a decade ago in London primarily, and also in Dublin and Belfast. Moved into management quickly which helped be build a career where I now run a group of businesses in Ireland with a €300m+ annual turnover, so chugging can be pretty useful if you work for the right companies and progress into the managerial side.

All the crap talked on here is just that, a chugger might get told to fuck off once a week, and in two years doing it only one person threatened physical violence, at which point I offered to take him up on his offer, and he swiftly departed.

Chugger rage is so out-dated now, about time Dublin caught up with the rest of the world and got over it.

The piece in bold is one of the funniest things I've ever read on the net in my life.

Total respect Summerskin!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,964 ✭✭✭✭Stark

The piece in bold is one of the funniest things I've ever read on the net in my life.

Total respect Summerskin!!!!!!

True. Nice lucrative earner for those involved. "For charity" my hole.

Would you rather they all signed on the dole then? It worked out well for me, helped me get managerial experience before changing into a different field that has been very lucrative.

Stark wrote: »
    True. Nice lucrative earner for those involved. "For charity" my hole.

Too true. I never gave a crap about the charities myself, when the jacket came off the conscience went with it. It's a sales role. That said, the charities make more money through chugging than they do any other form of fundraising.

Used to eat my Nestle Kit-Kat right before going out to tell people how evil Nestle were and that they should donate funds to Africa to stop their practice of encouraging women there not to breastfeed.

Also worked for the WorldWide Fund For Nature (WWF), though not as a chugger, despite my ambition in life being to eat a panda before they go extinct.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭2cool4school

Used to eat my Nestle Kit-Kat right before going out to tell people how evil Nestle were and that they should donate funds to Africa to stop their practice of encouraging women there not to breastfeed.

Also worked for the WorldWide Fund For Nature (WWF), though not as a chugger, despite my ambition in life being to eat a panda before they go extinct.

i have so much respect for you man that's some cool behaviour there

i also believe everything youve said so far

theres no way any of it could be fiction

i have so much respect for you man that's some cool behaviour there

i also believe everything youve said so far

theres no way any of it could be fiction

maybe you'll understand once you leave school and spend 18 years working.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

anyone try to "paw" you in that low cut top and short mini skirt?

I wore jeans and a tshirt, and was told I wouldn't get that much money dressed the way I was .... Some chugging charities employ young girls and try to get them to wear revealing clothes because they know it will get more male attention.

Not all of it good, I got harassed more times than I got money :(

Too true. I never gave a crap about the charities myself, when the jacket came off the conscience went with it. It's a sales role. That said, the charities make more money through chugging than they do any other form of fundraising.

Summerskin you are an inspiration. Working your way up the chugger ladder like that.

Have you ever thought about writing a book about your journey?

Who knows, someday they might make it into a hollywood blockbuster!

Summerskin you are an inspiration. Working your way up the chugger ladder like that.

Have you ever thought about writing a book about your journey?

Who knows, someday they might make it into a hollywood blockbuster!

Someday, dump, someday. I've earmarked Danny DeVito to play me. or Bruce Willis. Probably DeVito, cheaper and doesn't ask if he can wear a vest.

As it is the chugger ladder is very small. it's what you do after that counts. I look back and wonder how or why I did it. Then I remember days sat on the beach in Brighton with a 6 pack after we'd hit target early. it's not the best job in the world, but it's a laugh to be honest.

We always had a good laugh on weeks away in Dublin, the people were sound as a pound back then. I can see why people get annoyed by them though, especially after ten years, but they are going to be there regardless, no point getting worked up or abusing them. it's better that they do that than claim dole.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

When a chugger tries to accost me, before they can open their mouth I say..

"I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for donations, I can tell you I don't have money. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you feck off now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you"

Usually does the trick. But this one time in Paris........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

MyKeyG wrote: »
    I hate that they get so personal. I told a chugger once I was on the dole and I had debts of 6k. He said 'how much do you spend on alcohol per week?' I said 'per week? Um roughly about none of your business'. I was so annoyed at the gall of the man.

You hate how they get personal, yet you told him your financial life story.. Wat.

It's a basic job which requires no skill or training. There is no doubt that the way the vast majority operate is annoying and they deserve any abuse they get.

However the buck stops with the charities.

Anytime you hear any of the larger NGOs on the likes of Matt Cooper and they are quizzed about the actions of chuggers they always say that they are all employed indirectly through an agency, and they cannot be responsible for their actions. Bullshi.t.

They are damaging the name of the charity. I'm sure the heads of these charities have had to suffer these cun.ts on the streets themselves.

And if Summerskin is a representative of the type of person that make a good chugger then I think that sums the whole sorry situation up.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jackal

Never had a chugger call to the door, but I would love to let them get 30 seconds or so into their shpeel, I would smile and nod along, and not breaking eye contact or moving any part of my body that is not required, slowly close the door on their face. Would be interesting to see how long they would keep talking as they can see the door slowly closing, yet you show no signs of stopping the conversation. :D

In reality, I am too polite and would just stop them as soon as I could and say I am in the middle of cooking etc, gotta go!

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jackal

Disagree, I think the buck stops with the clowns who must sign up with them, otherwise there would be no incentive and they would disappear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Kid Charlemagne

And if Summerskin is a representative of the type of person that make a good chugger then I think that sums the whole sorry situation up.

Actually i dont think he is the worst character - he was fairly honest and gave a bit of an insight. You were going around branding some girl fat ugly and a pig so you arent exactly in a position to claim the high moral ground. Personally I thought what you said was funny but still - not exactly high moral ground stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭rgmmg

Not quite the same, but I remember few years back there was a beggar at the train station in Peckham, London. He lived there 24/7, had a red beard and invariably stank of urine and booze (I think the urine was him anyway). He'd ask me for money every morning on my way into work, and every evening on the way home. I'd give him about £2over the course of the week, and he considered me one of his "regulars".

One Xmas, the urine was so overpowering (his, mine I could live with) i decided enough was enough so I gave him a €30 and told him that he wasn't to bother me until next Xmas. Red Beard's off his head on God knows what but seems to be happy enough with the arrangement.

Anyway, the New Year comes and goes and it's all very cordial - he says "Hi" to me and backs off, I nod the head at him etc. etc. Before you know it, we're in September and he's still giving me space, so I'm happy and he seems okay with it. A couple of weeks later, I'm getting very comfortable in the relationship and actually engage him in conversation. "Hi there," I say "How are things?" and he says "Yeah, fu*k, not bad f*ck. It's been a good summer arghhhhhhhh." Realising he's clearly off his head, I say "Great" and turn to go home as fast as the heel of the reel when Red Beard, cool as you like, leans forward and says "By the way, any chance of an advance on that Christmas bonus?" Sure that was worth the money alone :D

It's a basic job which requires no skill or training. There is no doubt that the way the vast majority operate is annoying and they deserve any abuse they get.

Anytime you hear any of the larger NGOs on the likes of Matt Cooper and they are quizzed about the actions of chuggers they always say that they are all employed indirectly through an agency, and they cannot be responsible for their actions. Bullshi.t.

They are damaging the name of the charity. I'm sure the heads of these charities have had to suffer these cun.ts on the streets themselves.

And if Summerskin is a representative of the type of person that make a good chugger then I think that sums the whole sorry situation up

I agree with a lot of what you say, unfortunately there are agencies out there who operate on a commission basis, and that leads to a hard-sell as the chuggers are under undue pressure. At the better agencies it's a flat rate. of course you have targets to reach but it's a lot more malleable than a commission approach.

If it required no skill there would not be such a high turnover of staff, as the majority of applicants do not possess the sales ability or are unable to think fast enough when asked difficult questions. 10 years ago we only recruited graduates, at a starting rate of £9.50 per hour which was a more than reasonable wage at that time.

Now the market is saturated, although less so in future as Gift Fundraisng, the largest and probably most ethical of the agencies, has now gone into voluntary administration with 350 jobs lost in the UK and RoI, the requirements and standards do seem to have dropped massively. I was stopped by a chugger for Concern recently who had no knowledge of the charity and no discernable sales technique.

The charities who whinge about the agencies are full of crap, as they are the same people who took on the agency to do their campaigns for a set fee. They don't like the act, but they like the money. To be honest, most charities are not worth donating to anyway, but a select few do some fantastic work(see St. Mungo's in London, or Unicef)

As it is, when I did the job I was very polite and uninvasive in my approach, little more than asking for a minute of people's time, so I object to your comment. A salesman doesn't have to believe in the product he is selling, he just has to help the customer believe that THEY care. It's just sales.

jackal wrote: »
    Disagree, I think the buck stops with the clowns who must sign up with them, otherwise there would be no incentive and they would disappear.

I agree, the same as giving money to junkies, romas etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Some sorry whingers about. Just say 'No, not interested' and walk past them.

I think 90% of the stories about being harassed are exaggerations. I've never, (in Dublin or anywhere else) seen a chugger preventing someone from walking past them or jumping out in front of old ladies like some backstreet mugger !

The worst you'll get is a smart remark. Oh dear, big deal. Turn round and tell them to get a fukkin proper job if it makes you feel better about yourself.

Unfortunately it's currently the most cost effective way of getting money to charities, so they'll continue doing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

I am pie wrote: »
    I've never, (in Dublin or anywhere else) seen a chugger preventing someone from walking past them or jumping out in front of old ladies like some backstreet mugger !

ive seen it... there is a few on o'connell street that do it all the time.

one old lady clobbered the guy with her umbrella.... it made my chuckle.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Dump Banned. Re reg.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Dump Banned. Re reg.
    Loving the avatar btw! :D

Was just listening to The Last Word on Today FM and they're talking about this now if anyone's interested!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

It's been 8 years since i did the job, and looking back I wonder why I did, but it did help to progress my career by moving into management.

Ah, a chugger who wanted to go into management.

We've never met but its safe to say, I hate you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Fuhrer wrote: »
    Ah, a chugger who wanted to go into management.

We've never met but its safe to say, I hate you.

Going by your username it's probably safe to say that jew hate a lot of people.

Advertisement