Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chuggers Getting Fresh??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,895 ✭✭✭✭Stark

When you'd say to these people can I have a chat with you about that they'd just walk on. Very few would stop and have a converstaion about it because generally they were quiet happy in their ignorance. Some people just like to be angry at the world.

Shock horror people just want to go about their day without being educated about their ignorance at every street corner.
    I'm not going to get involved in any more discussions on this forum. I think i've said all I want and to be honest the amount of silly, twisted and warped comment on here makes me disenchanted with the whole process.Too many of the people commenting seem incapable of having a reasonable discussion.

Isn't it lucky for you that you can just sign off and don't have to worry about being bothered 500m down the road by someone else who wants to have a "discussion" with you?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭WoundedRhino

They're all a nuisance, regardless of which company they work for. I've certainly been followed down the street when I've refused to stop and had things shouted after me. I've never ever given them a penny and never will. And I would fully support any legislation to ban them completely.

My tactic to deal with them is simply to claim that I don't live in Ireland and I don't have an Irish bank account. Easier to pull off when you have a dirty foreigner accent like mine ;-) I shouldn't have to though, I should be able to walk down the street freely without being hassled for money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

They're all a nuisance, regardless of which company they work for. I've certainly been followed down the street when I've refused to stop and had things shouted after me. I've never ever given them a penny and never will. And I would fully support any legislation to ban them completely.

My tactic to deal with them is simply to claim that I don't live in Ireland and I don't have an Irish bank account. Easier to pull off when you have a dirty foreigner accent like mine ;-) I shouldn't have to though, I should be able to walk down the street freely without being hassled for money.

i agree... between chuggers, roma and junkies its almost impossible to make it from one end of o'connell street to the other end without someone begging me for money.

i have had concern chuggers block my path.... i also saw them do it to an old age pensioner.... i laughed so hard when the old age woman clobbered the concren chugger with her walking stick and told him to f' off.

It's very difficult to hold my tongue when untruths are thrown around as fact. I worked for Concern for a long time and I know inside out how they work. There is absolutely no way anyone from Concern has ever step out in front of someone to block there path or followed them down the street, no way.

I have seen people from Concern doing all that. The tactics they employ are identical to those of all the other chuggers. We get that youre a shill from Concern here to show us all just how good Concern Chuggers are but at the end of the day myself and others have seen Concern Chuggers block peoples paths, crowd around people and follow them down the street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

also chuggers get between €10 - €12 per hour... so the charity must take in no less than €400 per chugger per week. so next to no money really does make it out to africa.

add in managers and middle men and there is even less money getting there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

It's very difficult to hold my tongue when untruths are thrown around as fact. I worked for Concern for a long time and I know inside out how they work. There is absolutely no way anyone from Concern has ever step out in front of someone to block there path or followed them down the street, no way. People on this forum may have seen other fundraisers doing it and believe all fundraisers to be the same but thats not true. Im not doubting that some agencies employ tactics like that but i can 100% Unequivocally state that Concern do not. As someone who was involved in training and supervising fundraisers for a long time I know this to be fact, I also know too well how the public brandish us all with the same brush. Some of the comments on this forum remind me of the comments that I would get on the street from passers by. The misinformed comments such as, your on commission, only 1 cent out of every euro gets there etc. When you'd say to these people can I have a chat with you about that they'd just walk on. Very few would stop and have a converstaion about it because generally they were quiet happy in their ignorance. Some people just like to be angry at the world. It is clear to me that from various opinions on this forum that that is the case here aswell. If you want to inform yourself have a look at my previous long blog, or observe Concern fundraisers someday, even go speak to one. Just tell them that you don't want to sign u you just want to ask a couple of questions. Dont't get angry get curious. If you don't want to infrom yourself and you want to continue using the 'every one says it so it must be true line' then have a think about this and ask yourself is it true of you:

"Ah the unmistakeable argumentative rhetoric of the ignorant, where emphasis compensates for truth."

I'm not going to get involved in any more discussions on this forum. I think i've said all I want and to be honest the amount of silly, twisted and warped comment on here makes me disenchanted with the whole process.Too many of the people commenting seem incapable of having a reasonable discussion.

You are genuinely talking absolute ****. Verbal diarrhea. Go off to your nice little fantasy world by all means, where concern employees are all nice, and kind, and never harass people. Cheerio.

I was accosted by a girl who was working for Trócaire who literally jumped right in front of me in O'Connell St. She ended up knocking a bottle of water out of my hand.....What if that was a hot drink instead ? It could've caused a nasty accident !! I don't give them the time of day, I don't think anyone should either. I prefer to give my spare change to the guy who begs on O'Connell Bridge with his pet rabbit and dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Ironman76

Was in town the other day and this old man was walking by and a chugger had him by the arm, old man was visibly upset. Chugger was smiling and saying "I just want to take to you. . ." Still had old man by the arm "Relax, why wont you let me talk to you", old man had to shrug his arm away. Then old man stopped walking and had to fix his jacket and kinda fixed his hair, still visibly upset.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭TheBunk1

I might try that rape thing next time :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭NakedNNettles

Anyone ever grabbed the clipboard and started running? :pac:

It could become a new sport n'all.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭alphabeat

ha ha the rape one is nice ,

i think i will shout "STRANGER DANGER " at full volume next time i meet one of these gimp buckets. even if i am in my forties.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 ferdiaob

I remember once a friend and I were walking down Grafton street, we saw two chuggers harassing an old woman, she clearly was trying to get them to leave her alone, we went over and said she wasn't interested ( she was trying to keep walking but they kept blocking her way, after we told them to leave her alone they left, she asked us if she could use one of our phones to ring the guards, she told them on the phone what happened, the guards about five minutes later came down, she saw them and pointed the two out (who were harassing someone else at the time) they promptly went over and arrested the two chuggers for harassing the old lady. not sure if it was actually brought any further though

Hero. That is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

Anyone ever grabbed the clipboard and started running? :pac:

It could become a new sport n'all.

As I walk by them, annoying street sellers sometimes put crap into my hands as some type of tactic to get me to stick with them (assuming I'd worry about possession and ownership)
    Over various Christmases I have walked quickly through crowds around Grafton Street holding ''lucky heather'' and Hare Krishna books. The owner who placed it into my hand always ran after me and when they catch up with me I always tell them the truth : I thought you were handing this crap out for free ;) Here ya go. Rather stupid of you to hand it to me like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

why do people find it so hard to say Im late see ya, or I signed up with someone downstream from them. its not hard, grow a pair! :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

TheBunk1 wrote: »

"shhhh I have a biscuit in my pocket", class! I love the randomness of that one :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 geteducated

i am actually shocked by all of the ignorant comments here. Are you guys serious.

If someone "getting in your way" has this much of a negative imapct on your day then wise up. A lad from Concern wrote some very interesting and accurate comments about the Concerns method of fundraising earlier and he was shot back because the majority of you are of the taxi driver mentality "oh johnny siad he was asked for five euro by a guy..oh he must be with concern..i hate those guys". Stop tarnishing all with the same brush. I myself ahve first hand experience of workig with Concern and am familiar with the strategies of the other NGOs that collect through agencies. Yes i said it agencies. Concern collects for concern. They have remits and strict regualtion of how they can approach people on the street. Instead of coming on here having a taxi driver mentality (oh the banks do this..politicians bla bla..chuggers same old uneducated complaints) go out there and speak to a Concern fundraiser. then speak to other ones in yellow or blue jackets. compare the approach.

Somethign tells me you wont do this because its easier to go along with what everyone else says. Easier to stay ignorant. Im embarased to think of so many of my fellow Irish thinking of ways to "get out of talking to a chugger"..Go ahead wear your ugg boots, chinos and sip your coffee thinking you know it all. Come on here and give out about people instead of educating yourself the right way.ask questions to these people instead of coming on here. Cowardice and Ignorance are two sides of the same coin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

i am actually shocked by all of the ignorant comments here. Are you guys serious.

If someone "getting in your way" has this much of a negative imapct on your day then wise up. A lad from Concern wrote some very interesting and accurate comments about the Concerns method of fundraising earlier and he was shot back because the majority of you are of the taxi driver mentality "oh johnny siad he was asked for five euro by a guy..oh he must be with concern..i hate those guys". Stop tarnishing all with the same brush. I myself ahve first hand experience of workig with Concern and am familiar with the strategies of the other NGOs that collect through agencies. Yes i said it agencies. Concern collects for concern. They have remits and strict regualtion of how they can approach people on the street. Instead of coming on here having a taxi driver mentality (oh the banks do this..politicians bla bla..chuggers same old uneducated complaints) go out there and speak to a Concern fundraiser. then speak to other ones in yellow or blue jackets. compare the approach. Somethign tells me you wont do this because its easier to go along with what everyone else says. Easier to stay ignorant. Im embarased to think of so many of my fellow Irish thinking of ways to "get out of talking to a chugger"..Go ahead wear your ugg boots, chinos and sip your coffee thinking you know it all. Come on here and give out about people instead of educating yourself the right way.ask questions to these people instead of coming on here. Cowardice and Ignorance are two sides of the same coin.

You are missing the point. Nobody wants to speak to these fruits. Chuggers are a blight on our streets. If you are a chugger you are a blight on our streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Somethign tells me you wont do this because its easier to go along with what everyone else says. Easier to stay ignorant. Im embarased to think of so many of my fellow Irish thinking of ways to "get out of talking to a chugger"..Go ahead wear your ugg boots, chinos and sip your coffee thinking you know it all. Come on here and give out about people instead of educating yourself the right way.ask questions to these people instead of coming on here. Cowardice and Ignorance are two sides of the same coin.

For the record I don't own ugg boots or chinos, nor do I sip coffee! I rarely drink the stuff tbh!

If I am in town, it's usually for a reason and that reason is defo not to converse with Chuggers! They don't impact my day either, I just keep walking, don't even break stride and shake my head at them as they start to unleash the bullshit :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

If someone "getting in your way" has this much of a negative imapct on your day then wise up. A lad from Concern wrote some very interesting and accurate comments about the Concerns method of fundraising earlier and he was shot back because the majority of you are of the taxi driver mentality "oh johnny siad he was asked for five euro by a guy..oh he must be with concern..i hate those guys". Stop tarnishing all with the same brush. I myself ahve first hand experience of workig with Concern and am familiar with the strategies of the other NGOs that collect through agencies. Yes i said it agencies. Concern collects for concern. They have remits and strict regualtion of how they can approach people on the street. Instead of coming on here having a taxi driver mentality (oh the banks do this..politicians bla bla..chuggers same old uneducated complaints) go out there and speak to a Concern fundraiser. then speak to other ones in yellow or blue jackets. compare the approach.

Excuse me, but who the hell are you to question peoples experiences? everyone who posts an encounter with a chugger (good or bad) should really be taken at their word. a lot of underhand tactics go on in the cut-throat industry of charity, we've all seen them, and just because you don't like the reality of the situation, that's no excuse to ridicule people who are just fed up with it, concern included.

and let's face it, you're probably that same concern guy you mentioned anyway ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

What do you mean by 'taxi driver mentality'? Isn't saying that just as bad as what you're accusing everyone in this thread of doing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

Excuse me, but who the hell are you to question peoples experiences?

The chuggers must be getting really desperate now to send this one post commando LOL our way. Let's face it . They are less popular than someone with a clipboard going around collecting the Household Charge. Traffic wardens are worshipped like Gods in comparison to the detested disgusting chugger :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

I can't stand them...

Last week I was on my way back to work from a doctors appointment.

Was on the phone walking by this scourge of the earth when she got in my way and said "No need to call me, I'm already here!" which the most disgusting, cheesiest possible voice... hahahaha SHUT YOUR MOUTH AND GET OUT OF MY WAY BEFORE I PUSH YOU UNDER A 27.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭WoundedRhino

One jumped out at me the other day near Dame Street and came bouncing up like a kids TV presenter. "Come talk to me, I'm really nice!" I growled back "I'm not" and went on my merry way, somewhat amused with myself.

TBF, geteducated's post just made me laugh. Their ethics aren't what piss me off, it's the fact that they jump in front of me, get in my way and follow me up the street that gets on my nerves, they're a nuisance pure and simple. And I don't care what colour their jacket is (though the red ones are the worst).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

I just tell them Im late for my prostitute , works everytime.

I seen one outside the GPO today, and he walked in front of some girl, started twirling his clipboard round on finger :D pretty funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Naomi00

In Galway yesterday two of them screeched at me (:confused:), and they were talking really loud about me.. I thought they were so weird so I was hardly going to give them money. They just seemed crazy, everyone was avoiding them even though it was the middle of Shop street.

I'm not used to chuggers (thankfully lol), in my town there's just volunteers who collect money so they don't need to do weird things for attention. Anyway I just thought it was really odd..obviously not a good way of getting people to give you their money.

Edit/ Think it was Barnardos. Sh1t like that would completely put me off supporting a charity like that. I don't like how local charities (who don't pay the collectors) get branded with the same name though, they don't annoy people like 'chuggers' do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 AlcatrazLogan

cloud493 wrote: »
    I seen one outside the GPO today, and he walked in front of some girl, started twirling his clipboard round on finger :D pretty funny.

Spotted this guy on Westmorland Street the other day. He tried to get the attention of two girls that were walking past but they ignored him. He shouted after them "Are you to stuck up to talk to me because I'm British?"

Advertisement