Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you going to pay the household charge? [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

I really don't know at this stage whether I will pay it or not, I will see what funds are in my account on the last day for registering and decide then whether there is something more pressing that needs the money.

Dont register, Dont pay.

The only way it will be abolished is by refusing to go along with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

donalg1 wrote: »
    I dont think the success or failure of the household charge is going to have any influence on the property tax at all. I really cant imagine the household charge being scrapped anyway especially since there have been some payments made already.

Starting to notice a quiver in your voice.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Born to Die

Ghandee wrote: »
    Dont register, Dont pay.

The only way it will be abolished is by refusing to go along with it.

But what about the fines and extra charges that I will incur in the long term?

If you stand up and be counted, and by acting as part of a massive group of the public, they wont be able to fine you! It will have to be scrapped.

As said countless times throughout this thread, the 100 euro will be leaving these shores, and finding its way to an unnamed, faceless, billionare bondholder.

Solidarity!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

mikom wrote: »

What do you mean?

• Advertisement

Dont worry about them sure Mick Wallace and the others will pick up the tab for you!!

I dont think the success or failure of the household charge is going to have any influence on the property tax at all. I really cant imagine the household charge being scrapped anyway especially since there have been some payments made already.
    What do you mean?

"failure of the household charge" is beginning to be built into your sentences.
    Remember, head office told you to keep your postings positive.

It may never get to that stage.
    Are they going to fine 90% of the countries householders that have so far failed to register.
    More below....
    This campaign, unlike the bin charges, is a nationwide campaign that will be easier to fight if we can get our communities organised to resist. Ultimately the bin tax campaign lost because not enough people joined the non-payment campaign. The challenge is to build a campaign that has mass involvement. It still remains the case that anyone who refused to pay for bin charges during the bin charges campaign will pay significantly less than those that chose to pay from the beginning. We know from past experience that only mass non payment and industrial action by workers who lost their jobs through the privatisation of waste collection could have forced the government to back down.
    We can however beat the Household Tax if we all join together in a mass non-payment campaign, build membership of the campaign through the €5 membership fee and get onto the streets in large numbers. Over the coming months we will build the campaign across the country. Already there have been meetings of hundreds and we are well on the way to constructing a solid nationwide campaign. These charges can be defeated by mass popular resistance. In 1990, huge numbers protested against the ‘poll tax’ in Britain and Maggie Thatcher was driven out of office. Resistance worked.
    In the 1990s, the Irish government was forced to withdraw water charges from domestic users because of a boycott campaign. Resistance worked again.
    http://nohouseholdtax.org/your-questions-answered/

"failure of the household charge" is beginning to be built into your sentences.
    Remember, head office told you to keep your postings positive.

It may never get to that stage.
    Are they going to fine 90% of the countries householders that have so far failed to register.
    More below....

Head Office?

If you stand up and be counted, and by acting as part of a massive group of the public, they wont be able to fine you! It will have to be scrapped.

As said countless times throughout this thread, the 100 euro will be leaving these shores, and finding its way to an unnamed, faceless, billionare bondholder.

Solidarity!!!!!

Oh that's ok so, I was wondering how I was going to get my money back.

But seriously, why would you think that solidarity will prevail in this country, not a chance. Anyway the country is broke we need to pay our creditors, I am thinking that I will do my national duty and contribute to the recovery of this country in what ever way I can. I owe that much to the future generations who we have failed in the past when we the people should have showed some sense of this solidarity you talk about and said stop.

Ireland in my experiences is a country of me feiners too absorbed in their own world to give a sh1t about society as a whole.
    I used to care, did my bit for the little man/woman but now I have come to the realisation that in this country you need to look after number 1 as collectively we are pathetic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Got the state sponsored propaganda leaflet in the door yesterday threathening me about this new tax to pay for private gambling losses.

It went straight to the recycling bin.

If its still in your recycling bin please take it out, theres a campaign to return all leaflets to phil hogans home address, to let phil what you think of this household tax and his party please write a few words of discontent and please return to

Phil Hogan,
    Grovine,
    Co. Kilkenny.

• Advertisement

Oh that's ok so, I was wondering how I was going to get my money back.

But seriously, why would you think that solidarity will prevail in this country, not a chance. Anyway the country is broke we need to pay our creditors, I am thinking that I will do my national duty and contribute to the recovery of this country in what ever way I can. I owe that much to the future generations who we have failed in the past when we the people should have showed some sense of this solidarity you talk about and said stop.

Ireland in my experiences is a country of me feiners too absorbed in their own world to give a sh1t about society as a whole.
    I used to care, did my bit for the little man/woman but now I have come to the realisation that in this country you need to look after number 1 as collectively we are pathetic.

Thats exactly why this campaign has been started, the anti brigade dont want to pay but dont want to be the only ones that dont pay so they think if they get enough people to not pay then they will be ok too.

Thats exactly why this campaign has been started, the anti brigade dont want to pay but dont want to be the only ones that dont pay so they think if they get enough people to not pay then they will be ok too.

I dont think the campaign was organised for these reasons Donal.

It was organised because we, the public dont wish to pay back billions in gambling debts that are not ours.

There isnt really any other underlying reasons.

It was organised because we, the public dont wish to pay back billions in gambling debts that are not ours.

The rise of the dissenters over the household tax makes a mockery of the silence in the days after the guarantee, we are in it for the long haul whether we like it or not. I don't like it but our national debt has to be dealt with if only to give the next generation a chance of knowing the value of national sovereignty.

We didn't care and the movement of the "people" against the household tax is just hilarious non action. You do realise that there are a large number, growing by the day of people who are exempt from this payment, by not generating the capability to fund this country we will collapse our social structure, Germany and France will ensure this if we do not make our misguided commitments.

The rise of the dissenters over the household tax makes a mockery of the silence in the days after the guarantee, we are in it for the long haul whether we like it or not. I don't like it but our national debt has to be dealt with if only to give the next generation a chance of knowing the value of national sovereignty.

We didn't care and the movement of the "people" against the household tax is just hilarious non action. You do realise that there are a large number, growing by the day of people who are exempt from this payment, by not generating the capability to fund this country we will collapse our social structure, Germany and France will ensure this if we do not make our misguided commitments.

Said this weeks ago and got told I was a sheep and a shill, oh and apparently I work in Head Office wherever that is!!

Mmmmmmm....

There is something strangely familiar with the tone of your posts........

From someone who didnt know if they would pay at the start, to be semi pro pay, just seems a bit odd to me.

Just making an observation btw.

The campaign was organised to win votes pure and simple, what people dont realise is if the ones organising the campaign i.e. Mick Wallace etc were in power this charge would have been brought in by them too

People are campaigning against the household charge so they dont have to pay it themselves and are using scare mongering tactics to try make other not pay so at least they will have others in the same boat when the deadline passes and they havent paid.

Said this weeks ago and got told I was a sheep and a shill, oh and apparently I work in Head Office wherever that is!!

Billions owed, private gambling debt!!, the misunderstanding of where this country is situated in a global financial stakes is worrying to me as people are clearly missing the point of the what is happening, where were all these dissenters at the last election, where were they when they had the oppurtuinity to move from the right to the left, they were there in their lowly percentage like they are now in their vocal outrage after the horse has left the stable.

Arguing over pennies while billions need to be gained to keep the country functioning.

Head office, sheep, internet warriors they are just noise

Mmmmmmm....

From someone who didnt know if they would pay at the start, to be semi pro pay, just seems a bit odd to me.

Bit odd alright.......
    The campaign was organised to win votes pure and simple,
    People are campaigning against the household charge so they dont have to pay it themselves and are using scare mongering tactics to try make other not pay

Make up your mind.

Mmmmmmm....

My initial post was more in jest than reality, since reading the full thread my mind is made up that payment will be made and the rest of the dissenters can make their individual choices but I owe it to the future generations to help fix the issue as it exists today, using my knowledge of the scale of problem.

Just my observation.

Make up your mind.

The campaign was organised by TD's to win votes, and people have joined so they can wriggle out of paying their taxes, how did you miss the point.

• Advertisement

Arguing over pennies while billions need to be gained to keep the country functioning.

It won't be pennies in a few years.

Wont be the Household Charge in a few years either.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Billions owed, private gambling debt!!, the misunderstanding of where this country is situated in a global financial stakes is worrying to me as people are clearly missing the point of the what is happening, where were all these dissenters at the last election, where were they when they had the oppurtuinity to move from the right to the left, they were there in their lowly percentage like they are now in their vocal outrage after the horse has left the stable.

Head office, sheep, internet warriors they are just noise

Millions are being wasted in this country right now, our politicians are paid on a par with those in the richest countries in the world and many have had their esb and heating cut off. This is not something I approve of to say the least. I can afford a hundred but wont be funding a government like this. I certaonly dont think people on the poverty line shpuld be paying this.

Wont be the Household Charge in a few years either.

QFT

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Millions are being wasted in this country right now,

NAMA.
    1 million a day to run.
    Jesus wept.

It may not but our debts are not just going to disappear either.
    This is an individual choice, you either pay it or not you don't.
    Depending on the numbers that don't pay the Government will have to decide the course of action to be taken, my guess will be an increase in income tax across the board and a reduction in welfare payments.

The facts are we have to service your national debt and the funds will have to come from our pockets, if not a household charge there will just have to be some other imaginative ways for the government to raise funds to pay down our national debt.

I am not happy about paying any more tax but I want the younger generation to know the freedom of national sovereignty and to learn it's true value.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 MinnieM67

Unemployed after 28 years of both working for others and myself. For the first time ever I am on social welfare trying to survive and pay back bills from my business which closed last year as well as falling behind in payments for an extremely moderate house which is now in negative equity. Sick of applying for jobs which i know im not even going to get an interview for because at my age 44 is "too old". Dont go out anymore and can hardly afford to drive my 11 year old car. Yes im sure I could scrape together another €100 to pay this charge but what else will have to go unpaid in order that I can be a good citizen.

QFT

NAMA.
    1 million a day to run.
    Jesus wept.

Is that a question or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Steven81

I wont be paying the charge, i can afford it but know that once we do it will only go up and up and circumstances can change in a persons life very quickly. At present like most other workers the pay has been cut big time in the last 2 years with the USC charge being the biggest deduction. We bought a house last year and had to pay the 1st time buyers tax.

In 1 year it will only be about 30 euro more to pay so why not wait and see what happens and how we are going to be threatened, also does anyone think that some of the unfinished estates that are excempt from the levy are actually more finished than some that do have to pay .Its a wait and see game

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

My initial post was more in jest than reality, since reading the full thread my mind is made up that payment will be made and the rest of the dissenters can make their individual choices but I owe it to the future generations to help fix the issue as it exists today, using my knowledge of the scale of problem.

Just my observation.

Danke schön,

Angela

• Advertisement

I am not happy about paying any more tax but I want the younger generation to know the freedom of national sovereignty and to learn it's true value.

Yeah, the best way to learn about freedom is having the spectre of a lien looming over the family home.
    MinnieM67 wrote: »
    I could scrape together another €100 to pay this charge but what else will have to go unpaid in order that I can be a good citizen.

That ould good citizen stuff is a load of bunkum and you are quite right to pay no heed to it.
    "It's your patriotic duty" is another one often trotted out
    Remember the once Finance Minister Brian Lenihan saying ‘When you shop in Northern Ireland, you’re paying Her Majesty’s taxes, you’re not paying taxes to the state that you live in.’

There is an extremely thin line between patriotism and fascism.
    Is that a question or what?

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=QFT

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement