Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imma gonna be an Emo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭token

Good news is I'm not dieing, bad news is I can't lift for another 7-10 days.

I strained a joint in my neck which caused my upper back to spasm badly in my bodies annoying effort to protect my neck. Emma said the injury itself is moderate it was just my bodies response to it that was severe. Pretty annoying to have missed another two weeks of lifting but it's no where near as bad as I thought it was. I was sure I had torn the bejesus out of something in my upper back.

Treatment is anti-inflammatories, applying heat and stretching. I was told I can do cardio, cardio?........zzzzzzz.........*

*I'll start cycling to work again next week

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

By cardio, she doesn't mean Angie.

d'Oracle wrote: »
    By cardio, she doesn't mean Angie.

That's not the worst of it. I have inflammation and dag nam it I have ran out of fish oil. I don't know if I'll make it through the night. Pray for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

You know why you strained your neck don't you?

Those fúcking Siberia balls.

That and having no discernible muscle.

6624121947_34489b91da_z.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭supposedly

You don't eat and you've no legs and everyone hates you! haha- neg you while you're down ;)

• Advertisement

Haha that's exactly how I described myself on the day I could barely move. Bastard.

EDIT: That was for L's post^ I only tell people I don't eat, have no legs, and that everyone hates me when I'm emo...f*ck that's pretty much all the time then. Balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭howtomake

Happy New Year, 2012 is gonna be the year of strong legs!

I was hoping to do a light session on Friday but still not fixed yet so it'll be Monday before I start back. I'm getting used to not training now and getting more and more lazy. Which is bad because I'm already incredibly lazy /turningintoadiary

Saturday 14th Janurary

My sister is doing some sort of 'core strength' class or something and was bugging me to try some of the stuff she does in it. So I did a bunch of plank varitions, leg raises and all that type of sh*te.

I felt like doing something after that so..

Press
    Row

3x10 @ 16kg LeninBall

Split squats
    RDLs

2x8@2x16kg LeninBall

I was going to do 3 sets on the leg stuff but my bloody hamstrings were about to blow out. I'm so out of shape.

My neck is about 95% better so I can do strength stuff. I'll see how it is on Monday before I try anything explosive.

Monday 16th Janurary

The road to being less crap but still pretty crap begins again

Split Snatch
    Learning how to do the thing! Foot position and drop split snatches.

Powersnatch
    2x3@40kg
    2x3@45kg
    2x3@50kg

Push Press
    2x5@40kg
    2x5@45kg
    2x5@50kg

Doing a proper split snatch is pretty tricky so it's gonna take a while to learn. Over christmas I was researching it and couldn't find a single video online with a good split snatch where the video wasn't sh*t quality, in black&white, and nearly 50 years old. The closest modern video I could find was Josh Everett but he doesn't go full depth on it. It's pretty close in depth to a full snatch when done properly. So my new mission is to become a youtube sensation of the split snatch! or at least impress the Irish whitehairs :pac:

As for the rest of it. This week is just getting back into it before starting new program next week.

EDIT: Best video I could find on learning it but still no videos of it in practice with heavy weight
    http://startingstrength.com/index.php/site/platform_the_split_snatch_with_tommy_suggs

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

i think one of the american wimimz was a splitter yer one rivyera maybe

i think one of the american wimimz was a splitter yer one rivyera maybe

That just reminded me. There's a hot blonde swedish weightlifter & sprinter whos sister was also a lifter and she splitted. I shall report back with findings.

EDIT: Findings

Lena Berntsson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzL57oCxXAk

Annika Berntsson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEIeuODShqA

Yeah that's now the best modern split I've seen.

Wednesday 18th Janurary

My neck stiffened up a bit after Monday. Start getting better as today went on and then I put a heat pack on it on the drive over. It was alright when I started lifting. Hopefully my head doesn't fall off tomorrow.

Split Snatch
    squats & drops

Powersnatch
    2x3@40kg
    2x3@45kg
    2x3@50kg

Split clean
    squats

Powerclean
    2x3@60kg
    2x3@65kg
    3@70kg

Squats
    5@50kg
    5@60kg
    3x5@70kg

Just the bar on the snatch&clean and finding 70kg back squats heavy. This is like starting all over again. Also I guess I'm gonna have to start eating again now that I'm back training.

Split cleans are the same foot position as the snatch and going full depth also. I say I'll more trouble with the split clean in the long run than the snatch. Whenever I get compentant at the movement 110kg is gonna be hard to stand up with.

Friday 20th Janurary

Split Snatch
    squats & drops

Powersnatch
    2x3@40kg
    2x3@50kg
    2x3@55kg

Split Clean
    squats

Powerclean
    2x3@60kg
    2x3@70kg
    3@75kg

Lunges
    6 steps forward, 6 steps back
    1x20kg
    4x30kg

I thought doing the split would ease the flexbility requirements but I'm gonna still have to hammer away at the calves though they are pretty f*cked whatever I do. My shin is still a bit too vertical for my liking. Then on the clean my elbows are still dropping too much so gonna have to work on that too.

Lunges since I is now a splitter. Get my balance goin yo! Should have a good carry over to other sports. If I ever get around doing any of them that is.

New program next week. I'm still not back up to speed yet so I'm gonna die.

Monday 23rd January

New program starts

Split Snatch
    squats & drops @ bar

Powersnatch
    2x3@40kg
    1x3@50kg
    2x3@55kg (64kg)
    2x2@60kg (67kg)
    2x1@63kg (70kg)

Clean pulls
    2x4@90kg (100kg)
    3@95kg (105kg)
    3@100kg (110kg)

Squats
    5@50kg
    4x10@60kg

SL RDLs
    3x6@12kg

Weights I was meant to be doing in brackets. I'm so far off the pace it's not even funny. I've 4x10 back squats twice a week. Wayne says he's taking the opportunity of me learning the split to build some leg muscle with high rep squats. If it works it'll be the first time. Build up the weights over the 6 weeks on that one. I would f*cking want to that 60kg was actually tough!

Off to the supermarket with me later, time to get back on the carbs & cow juice. Drug shipment of protein,creatine,fishoil currently on route.

Why the change?

Why the change?

To Split? My legs are too f*cking weak basically and Wayne told me they won't get that much stronger than they are now*. He started talking about my tendon insertion lengths and stuff. Went a bit over my head at the time I need to read up on it. Whatever way mine are aren't good for applying force anyway. My pull is pretty decent though 103kg powerclean @ 77kg class. The split is all about the pull and you need less leg strength to stand up with so hence the change. Now that I've changed style my pull will get extra emphasis in training so it should go up a good bit more.

The fact I have no calf flexibility plays a part in this as well since this puts me in a compromised position for applying force at the bottom of a squat.

*Currently 120kg, I still want 140kg in the next 2 years or I'm going to jump off a very large cliff. Doable with a few leg hypertrophy phases thrown in.

Wednesday 25th January

Split Snatch
    Drops up to 3x3@40kg woo actual weight

Powerclean
    3@60kg
    2@65kg
    2@70kg
    2@75kg
    2x2@80kg
    2x2@83kg failed the last one
    2x1@85kg

Lunges
    5x30kg

Hypers
    3x8@10kg

Those bloody lunges are tough going backwards. I feel utterly useless using less than 40kg on them as well.

I'm never taking a lay off again. So much time wasted getting back up to speed.

Friday 27th January

Split Snatch
    drops up to 2x3@40kg

Powersnatch
    1x3@40kg
    1x3@50kg
    2x3@55kg
    2x2@60kg
    1@63kg
    2x3@55kg

Powerclean
    2@70kg
    2@75kg
    2x2@80kg
    2x2@83kg
    2x1@86kg

Bench
    5@40kg
    5x5@60kg godamn gotten weak as sh*t on the bench too

Squats
    5@50kg
    4x10@60kg

DB Row
    3x8@24kg

Traps are wailin' brah

Monday 30th January

Split Snatch
    squats & drops @ bar

Powersnatch
    2x3@40kg
    1x3@50kg
    1x2@55kg
    2x2@60kg
    2@62kg failed first one
    1@64kg
    1xf@66kg

Clean pulls
    2x4@95kg
    3@100kg
    3@105kg

Squats
    5@60kg
    4x10@70kg

SL RDLs
    3x8@18kg

The devil juice got me at the weekend. Much sadness.

• Advertisement

Wednesday 2nd February

Split Snatch Drops
    2x3@40kg
    2x3@45kg

Meant to do more but platform was slippy with heater on with the cold and so on.

Powerclean & Jerk
    2@60kg
    2@70kg
    4x2@80kg
    1@83kg
    1@85kg deep powerclean, about the 3rd one I've ever done

Lunges
    1x30kg
    4x35kg

Hypers
    3x8@15kg

So Tiiiiiiiired. Useless on the powercleans. I can jerk again though so w00t for that I suppose.

Your receiving position is beautiful, Splitter. [NoHomo.....Nah, fuggit, Homo]

Your receiving position is beautiful, Splitter. [NoHomo.....Nah, fuggit, Homo]

The white hairs will be impressed. I'll need a pipe and a smoking jacket.

Friday 3rd Feburary

Split Snatch
    tech@bar

Powersnatch
    2x3@40kg
    1x3@50kg
    2x3@60kg
    2x2@63kg
    1@66kg

Powerclean & Jerk
    2@70kg
    2x2@82kg
    2x2@85kg legimitely missed last jerk due to slippy platform
    1xf88kg missed clean
    1@88kg legimitely al most killed myself on jerk due to slippy platform

Bench
    5@40kg
    3@60kg
    5x5@65kg

DB Row
    3x8@24kg,26kg,28kg

Squats
    5@60kg
    4x10@70kg

Powersnatches were better than they have been. Went downhill after that though. I presumed powercleans would be good because of powersnatches but they were absolute muck. Though I'm finally starting to catch powercleans deeper in the squat when they get heavy instead of high schooling them. Well they still look pretty awful because I'm still spawling my legs too much but it's a signifcant development for me!!

The lads have knocked down the wall between ECB room and reception to make room for another 2 sets of platforms. The WL room now is significantly bigger. Gonna be class.

Monday 7th February

Godammit I did it again and was in absolute bits on Sunday. I spent most of the day wishing for death. Which unfortunately did not come.

Split Snatch
    squats & drops @ bar

Powersnatch
    2x3@40kg
    1x3@50kg
    2x3@61kg
    2x2@64kg
    3x1@67kg

Clean pulls
    2x4@100kg
    2x3@110kg

Squats
    5@60kg
    10@75kg
    8@82kg
    6@90kg
    4@95kg

SL RDLs
    3x8@20kg

Hah, best session of my triumphant comeback so far. What have I learned? Absolutely nothing.

Wednesday 8th February

Split Snatch Drops
    2x3@40kg
    2x2@50kg

Powerclean & Jerk
    2@60kg
    2@70kg
    2x2@82kg
    2@85kg
    4x1@90kg failed the last two which annoyed me greatly

Lunges
    1x30kg
    4x40kg

Hypers
    3x8@20kg

Legs were feeling heavy and powercleans were yet again muck. I'll get depressed again if the tide doesn't change soon on that one.

On a positive my lunges are improving. Up to a MASSIVE 40kg now without falling all over the place like the first night with 20kg. I've also been muscle snatching the bar into position for split drops and lunges. I can see why L is always doing them now. Such a boss movement.

Brent Kim "If you’re happy with where you are, you get complacent. Being unhappy drives change. As living organisms we weren’t meant to be happy. We were meant to face adversity, hate our lives, but give enough of a f*ck to find a way to survive."

I liked this quote on 70s big today. Self improvement through being unhappy with your current level of ****ness. Testify!.

Friday 10th Feburary

Powersnatch
    2x3@40kg
    2x3@50kg
    2x3@61kg failed two, godammit
    2x2@64kg
    3x1@67kg
    2x3@61kg

Powerclean & Jerk
    2@60kg
    2@70kg
    2x2@80kg
    2@83kg
    2x1@85kg
    2xf@87kg some lulz here but godammitx2 caught them both in full squat, said **** it on the first one and dropped the bar. After I did it again I decided to squat it, go me.

Squats
    5@60kg
    10@75kg
    8@82kg
    6@90kg
    4@95kg chinese overlords would not have been impressed, godammitx3

Bench
    5@40kg
    3@60kg
    5x5@70kg 24 reps, godammitx4

DB Row
    3x8@30kg

Fatigue x lots.

Monday 14th February

3x9hr sleeps over the weekend. 30 minutes rolling. 30 minutes stretching. I should do this more often. Fatigue from last week mostly dissipated.

Split Snatch
    squats & drops @ bar

Powersnatch
    2x3@40kg
    2x3@50kg
    1@60kg
    2x2@64kg
    2x2@67kg missed one
    1xf@70kg below parallel
    1xf@72kg below parallel
    1xf@74kg outright fail

Clean pulls
    2x4@100kg
    2x3@110kg

Squats
    5@60kg
    10@78kg
    8@85kg
    6@93kg
    4@100kg

SL RDLs
    3x8@20kg

My pull is still a bit off but the squats are nearly as strong as they ever were. I'm weaker yet more balanced. Mixed emotions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

Are you going to debut the split at the Dublin Open?

Anyone else here lifting at it?

• Advertisement

Scuba Ste wrote: »
    Are you going to debut the split at the Dublin Open?

Anyone else here lifting at it?

Hey Ste. Nope it's not ready for a debut just yet. I only did the full lift for the first time last night. Imma powersnatch this one.

I think Ed is but he might be still moany about his shoulder :P Supposedly is lifting. I don't know about Lillis. I know Byrdy is lifting so he might follow him up being the best of pals.

Advertisement