Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

Links234 wrote: »
    Did I mention Pantera weren't all that? :pac:

Ah here, I was willing to let the Slayer comment slide but you're pushing your luck there, me oul flower!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Links234 wrote: »
    Did I mention Pantera weren't all that? :pac:

I can live with that. One great album, few good tracks on the rest.

I still can't remember that punishment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 448 ✭✭tunedout

summerskin wrote: »
    We have evolved to a higher level of intelligence than any other species

By what measure?

Our own?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

tunedout wrote: »

By what measure?

Our own?

Tell me one thing a lion has invented? Tell me one way their civilisation has evolved? Tell me when they had their industrial revolution?

Until I see a lion posting on boards from their laptop I will consider us more intelligent.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Lanaier

My intelligence allows me to earn a salary that in turn gives me the opportunity to purchase products that other people have had to work hard to create and perfect. It's called capitalism.

It's called being born into a first world society.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

By what measure?

Our own?

Tell me one thing a lion has invented? Tell me one way their civilisation has evolved? Tell me when they had their industrial revolution?

Until I see a lion posting on boards from their laptop I will consider us more intelligent.

The question remains why would I want to kill an endangered animal for food or any animal for fun. Thats what bothers me about people who enjoy killing things, it isnt just that theres a gorilla or whatever thats missing but rather the phsychology behind the desire to kill the animal thats disturbing.

Lanaier wrote: »
    My intelligence allows me to earn a salary that in turn gives me the opportunity to purchase products that other people have had to work hard to create and perfect. It's called capitalism.

Indeed its mostly because of luck intelligence doesnt come into it as much as people think.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 448 ✭✭tunedout

No no, i'm really not arguing with you it's just something I've often wondered myself. I think you were arguing with a vegetarian or something and I am not like that I would eat a lion if I had a chance.

But I just sometimes daydream about human claims that humans are the most intelligence species, and I get sceptical.

There has never been an unbiased universal intelligence test.

Our houses and computers and boards.ie websites are just as mysterious to animals as some of their behaviours and dens etc are to us.

To me it's like a maths professor giving himself and everyone else a maths test and him doing the best in it and deciding he is the most intelligent.

I sometimes say to myself "It's obvious we are the most intelligent"... but that's from a human perspective...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,089 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Peta are a bunch of cnuts and anyone who is found to be a member should be forcefed chicken mcnuggets while wearing leather chaps for a month

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

I don't like chocolate all that much... or any other sweets. I'd eat them like, but I'd choose a big bag of roasted peanuts or pistachio nuts over them any day.

• Advertisement

steddyeddy wrote: »

By what measure?

Our own?

The question remains why would I want to kill an endangered animal for food or any animal for fun. Thats what bothers me about people who enjoy killing things, it isnt just that theres a gorilla or whatever thats missing but rather the phsychology behind the desire to kill the animal thats disturbing.

I've never killed an animal for fun. Any animal I have killed I have eaten.

Lanaier wrote: »

Indeed its mostly because of luck intelligence doesnt come into it as much as people think.

Absolute nonsense. It's the intelligence of the human race that puts us in this position. I am a product of genes that have been passed down for millennia, it is no fluke that I was born where I was rather than to a lost tribe in the amazon.

There is no such thing as luck, get over it. It's not like if I was born a second later I would have been a starving child in africa. I am a product of genes. It's science, not luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Absolute nonsense. It's the intelligence of the human race that puts us in this position. I am a product of genes that have been passed down for millennia, it is no fluke that I was born where I was rather than to a lost tribe in the amazon.

There is no such thing as luck, get over it. It's not like if I was born a second later I would have been a starving child in africa. I am a product of genes. It's science, not luck!

You can't legitimately say that your consciousness is the result of genes, only your body. Identical twins do not share a consciousness. You are incalculably lucky to even have a perspective from which to view the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭The Uninvited Guest

I have not read through this lengthy thread and it's most definitely been mentioned already but I ****ing detest everything there is about that bastard website Facebook.

You can't legitimately say that your consciousness is the result of genes, only your body. Identical twins do not share a consciousness. You are incalculably lucky to even have a perspective from which to view the world.

My consciousness and beliefs are a result of my surroundings. My surroundings are a result of thousands of years of intelligent life and advancement. Science.

Animals are the result of their surroundings and advancement. They haven't advanced much, that's why we can easily kill and eat them.

Why would anyone even try to argue that animals are as intelligent or advanced as humans???? They are a foodstuff. It's a food chain. Right now we are at the top, until a more advanced civilisation decides otherwise.

My consciousness and beliefs are a result of my surroundings. My surroundings are a result of thousands of years of intelligent life and advancement. Science.

Animals are the result of their surroundings and advancement. They haven't advanced much, that's why we can easily kill and eat them.

Why would anyone even try to argue that animals are as intelligent or advanced as humans???? They are a foodstuff. It's a food chain. Right now we are at the top, until a more advanced civilisation decides otherwise.

Your genetic lottery decides everything for youit is indeed a matter of luck or chance if you rather that we are who we are. Im not argueing regarding the intelligence of animals im saying theres no reason to eat endangered ones. Also i would not distinguish humans and animals if they are food stuffs so are we.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I haven't seen anyone suggest that animals are as, or more, intelligent than humans. The only thing close to that was another poster rather philosophically pondering the meaning of intelligence. That's actually an interesting question which has little to do with whether or not we should eat animals (obviously we should, they're tasty).

Your genetic lottery decides everything for youit is indeed a matter of luck or chance if you rather that we are who we are. Im not argueing regarding the intelligence of animals im saying theres no reason to eat endangered ones. Also i would not distinguish humans and animals if they are food stuffs so are we.

Of course we are foodstuff. If I swam in shark-infested water I would expect to be shark food. No question about it.

As for eating endangered animals, I used to work for the wwf and still want to eat panda. Want to know why? Because they are dying out as a result of living isolated lives, only eating bamboo despite having canine teeth, sitting on their babies and killing them, plus they look tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭luppy

Nurses should get paid double for looking after obese people. Stop eating and stop pulling out of me!! FFS

Of course we are foodstuff. If I swam in shark-infested water I would expect to be shark food. No question about it.

As for eating endangered animals, I used to work for the wwf and still want to eat panda. Want to know why? Because they are dying out as a result of living isolated lives, only eating bamboo despite having canine teeth, sitting on their babies and killing them, plus they look tasty.

I worked in conservation and have to wonder at the wwfs hiring policies. Are you sure it wasnt the wrestling federation?

• Advertisement

Even the WWF needs a dose of realism from time to time. It would be impossible to run a charity effectively when your mind is clouded by the issues. I'm a businessman, the WWF is a big business, it was a good match for a while. Got sick of flying back and forth from Nyon/Geneva and London ultimately though.

Hard to do that when you are only in it for the money, and spend half your time around idealistic hippies who want to spend €3m on preserving a species of Peruvian toad that is only found in a 3sq km area in the high Andes, and so forth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭lefthooker

The news has it today that the Government will be working to take people off the live register.
    For some reason the image that pops into my head is of freight trains lined up in Heuston and Connolly on one way trips to Auschwitz, Bergen Belsen, Buchenwald, Dachau etc.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Snappy the Moose

So do you, Snappy the Moose, declare Patrice Evra to be a "negrito?"

I wouldn't use that terminology but at the same time it is mostly undeniable. I would declare him to be a black person however, some would refer to that as a negro. I wouldn't dispute that as it would be disputing the indisputable.

Even the WWF needs a dose of realism from time to time. It would be impossible to run a charity effectively when your mind is clouded by the issues. I'm a businessman, the WWF is a big business, it was a good match for a while. Got sick of flying back and forth from Nyon/Geneva and London ultimately though.

Hard to do that when you are only in it for the money, and spend half your time around idealistic hippies who want to spend €3m on preserving a species of Peruvian toad that is only found in a 3sq km area in the high Andes, and so forth.

Actually without getting into the details Im sure you know as an ex employee that the wwf can be pretty militant when it comes to animal welfare not being respected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

People who bought at the height of the boom deserve to be financially screwed.
    How often were you confronted by smug arseholes that wanted to talk mortgages with you and couldnt help saying property ladder every ten minutes.
    Everybody knew there was gonna be a crash. But these idiots just couldnt wait to be able to look down on dead money renters. With their extra 30 000 euro on their mortgage to get a fancy car . I was building them at the time and was bewildered that people were buying one bed apartments for seriously crazy money. Like really astronomical money.
    I dont think these people should get any debt forgiveness because that was their plan all along ah **** it sure if we cant afford it in the future they will just let us off with it.
    I am in a good position now to buy a house because I waited until the time was right. Still nother couple of years in my opinion . Why should these eejits be allowed back on my rung of the property ladder after they fell off it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

luppy wrote: »
    Nurses should get paid double for looking after obese people. Stop eating and stop pulling out of me!! FFS

....your own fault for being tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

As a point of principle I stopped giving money to the WWF after they made the World Wrestling Federation change its name to WWE. This name change coincided with a serious dip in the quality of the product and a move away from old school wrestling towards entertainment. Plus it's the World Wide Fund for Nature, why couldnt they change to WWFN.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Seomra Mushie

'Gilmore Girls' is a quality TV show. (minus the syrupy theme tune)

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Lanaier

Never understood the appeal of wrestling, even as a kid I was scratching my head as mates ranted on and on about it.

Just boring.

• Advertisement

Actually without getting into the details Im sure you know as an ex employee that the wwf can be pretty militant when it comes to animal welfare not being respected.

Apart from at the Christmas party in Nyon where we had Foie Gras, I suppose you are right. The field staff can be quite militant, the office staff however could not, in the most part, give a flying fcuk about animals. It's a publicity machine, and a very well-oiled one.

Great organisation to work for, they really look after their staff and pay great wages. Wasn't totally for me though so I left and joined Unicef in London instead in a similar role.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement