Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

Terry Eagleton is a charlatan.

( although that might be a popular opinion).

Language affects colour perception. Gorm might not have originally translated to precisely the same range of frequencies that we call "blue". If that's the case, it could have been just as natural to call brown people "gorm" as it is for us to call them "black".

Naw, it was because fear dubh was taken.
    Mardy Bum wrote: »
    Agreed.

Some soccer fans REALLY need to re-evaluate their lives and wonder why issues like Evra/Suarez effect them so deeply that they are blinkered to any sort of objectivity. Its frightening. Terry Eagleton was right about soccer.

In my case, I popped in here to defend Suarez based on facts, not because I support English teams. I don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Yahew wrote: »
    Terry Eagleton is a charlatan.

( although that might be a popular opinion).

I don't agree with him on a lot of things but he is right about soccer. Most people feel shut out by high culture and revert to soccer which appeals to our most powerful evolutionary instincts of loyalty and gratification from savage rivalry. People whose day to day job requires no intellectual demands display stunning erudition when discussing the game and so turning ordinary people into experts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

Paparazzo wrote: »
    And if you can afford to send your child to private school, better chance you have of affording to send them to college.

you'd think that but i have had to pay for litterally everything and anythin i wanted as the tnger didn't do us all good...

or alas ye all stole too much and karma's a ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

While there may be a case for reforming some aspects of Ireland's bankruptcy laws any suggestion that the slate should be automatically be wiped clean after just one or two years would be a charter for every chancer and crook in the country and if introduced would ruin many legitimate businesses and individuals through bad debt. Ultimately the general public -particularly the taxpayer would wind up with the tab.

When it comes to debt there are too many people believing in some magical tooth fairy with the power to make it all go away.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    When it comes to debt there are too many people believing in some magical tooth fairy with the power to make it all go away.
    Too many people want to be able to do what they want when they want and not be told by the government how much debt they can accrue. You hear indignant cries of "nanny state" yet as soon as the sh!t hits the fan, those same people start crying about debt forgivness :( "It wasn't my fault", "why did they lend us so much?", "I really needed to remortage my house so I could buy that villa in Spain" etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

People that get overly excited by soccer matches in another country are ridiculous.
    I follow English football but I dont feel it is a part of my identity. I appreciate it the same as music or a good film.
    Alex Ferguson, Kenny Dalglish or Wayne Rooney would not piss on any of you if you were on fire. They have to pretend to love the customer, its good for business.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Regardless of racial abuse, handshakes etc, both Suarez and Evra are both rats.

Not sure how unpopular that is mind :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Regardless of racial abuse, handshakes etc, both Suarez and Evra are both rats.

Not sure how unpopular that is mind :pac:

Agreed. I understand people supporting either United or Liverpool and therefore thinking the player from the opposing team is more to blame.

But I don't understand how anyone could defend either one of them, regardless of whether they play for their favourite team or not.

They're both spoiled brats and perfect examples of why the fantastic sport of football has been ruined for me by the world of childish behaviour, obscene wages and corruption that has developed around it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

My friends a Liverpool supporter he is cancelling his sky sports and never watching football again because Liverpool apologised. He is disgusted and thinks they only apologised for money . He thinks money has ruined the game . He thinks that a player that racially abused another should not have to apologise if he doesnt want to. He actually thinks its the black fellas fault for reporting it. He thinks to say you kicked someone because they are a negro is acceptable because even jfk used the word negro .

He doesnt understand the two teams all agreed to a handshake before the game because itd end the media humping of this unfortunate incident. He doesnt realise it was just that player that then made everyone look stupid by not shaking the hand ,where if he had of said first Im not doing it they could of cancelled the whole thing.

He also thinks its all ok because the black fella over did his celebrations afterwards, this in his opinion makes the whole racial episode ok .

He also thinks Eric Cantona kicking a fan makes it ok for this player to be racist .
    He reckons Roy Keane kicking a player makes it ok for this player to be racist.
    He reckons Ryan Giggs sleeping with his brothers bird makes it ok for him to be racist.

This is a pretty controversial decision , but it is felt by alot of people apparantly.
    I find it shocking , deluded and silly .

• Advertisement

cloptrop wrote: »
    My friends a Liverpool supporter he is cancelling his sky sports and never watching football again because Liverpool apologised. He is disgusted and thinks they only apologised for money . He thinks money has ruined the game . He thinks that a player that racially abused another should not have to apologise if he doesnt want to. He actually thinks its the black fellas fault for reporting it. He thinks to say you kicked someone because they are a negro is acceptable because even jfk used the word negro .

He doesnt understand the two teams all agreed to a handshake before the game because itd end the media humping of this unfortunate incident. He doesnt realise it was just that player that then made everyone look stupid by not shaking the hand ,where if he had of said first Im not doing it they could of cancelled the whole thing.

He also thinks its all ok because the black fella over did his celebrations afterwards, this in his opinion makes the whole racial episode ok .

He also thinks Eric Cantona kicking a fan makes it ok for this player to be racist .
    He reckons Roy Keane kicking a player makes it ok for this player to be racist.
    He reckons Ryan Giggs sleeping with his brothers bird makes it ok for him to be racist.

This is a pretty controversial decision , but it is felt by alot of people apparantly.
    I find it shocking , deluded and silly .

I made the JFK quote myself. The point was that negro was common by liberals until the 70's ( or 80's) and racists used the other word. And that Spanish speakers continue to use a word ( a word never racist in Spanish) as it means "black".

the Eric Cantona thing is easy to explain too, he was called a "frog" by the guy he kicked. I don't see the difference ( except Frog has always been racially derogatory). I bet Cantona was called a frog in every match by someone or other.

Its you who are making the claim that the abuse was racial, rather than a normal use of Spanish language. Thats my beef with the whole affair. Its a whole parade of idiocy.

( and i don't support English teams).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

General elections change little in this country and it's a waste of time voting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Pizza is junk food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Nolanger wrote: »
    Pizza is junk food.

Pizza is a vegetable

Guns dont kill people rappers do.
    Whats more racist saying you kicked someone cause they are black or saying you kicked them because they are a negro?

Guns dont kill people rappers do.
    Whats more racist saying you kicked someone cause they are black or saying you kicked them because they are a negro?

The kicking was separate from what was said. The penalty for kicking is a sending off.

Yahew wrote: »
    The kicking was separate from what was said. The penalty for kicking is a sending off.
    But the punishment was for wht was said? was it not anyhow this thread will get closed if it turns into an evra discussion .
    You have to post controversial opinions.
    I think Alex Fergusen looks alot better these days and hasnt got a red nose anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

rosskind wrote: »
    Evra's a dirty liar who got him banned for 8 matches. Well that's how Suarez would see it anyway. Why would he shake his hand when Evra's hardly shown any sportsmanship?

Getting banned for racism appeared like the sportsman like thing to do. Evra should learn from his example

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

Footballers are thick.

Johro wrote: »
    Footballers are thick.

Don't think thats unpopular...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

Grimebox wrote: »
    Don't think thats unpopular...
    You may have a point. Okay then... Em...
    Bankers are people too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

I'm considering giving up drinking and gambling

I think cross dressing is a perversion and not a sexuality

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Since when is cross dressing a sexuality? :confused:

Paddy Cow wrote: »

Transgender or whatever they call it. They can change their passports now . If you ask me its the same as having into s and m under sex on your passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Kev.OC

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    Transgender or whatever they call it. They can change their passports now . If you ask me its the same as having into s and m under sex on your passport.

Oh, that reminds me. Filling out Canadian working visas recently and in some of the forms I had to fill out, there were three options for gender; the third one being "don't know" or "not sure" or something. Thought that was kinda odd to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭kieranfitz

All the people debating whearther or not Suarez is a racist are forgetting one very important thing, Evra is French

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭rosskind

Getting banned for racism appeared like the sportsman like thing to do. Evra should learn from his example

I'm saying that if Suarez is innocent, which I'm sure he thinks he is, then he was right not to shake Evra's hand.

rosskind wrote: »
    I'm saying that if Suarez is innocent, which I'm sure he thinks he is, then he was right not to shake Evra's hand.

Oh go the soccer forum they have a feeling sorry for themselves Liverpool section in there. He was found guilty . Why cant you accept it. If he thinks he was innocent at this stage he has mental problems.

I think people that still smoke pot are smelly .

• Advertisement

I couldn't give a **** about whether or not two thick footballers shook hands, and neither should you. They're both probably racists regardless

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement