Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

I can see why that's unpopular. Football is a ball game where you must use your foot. There is no other mainstream game I can think of where this is the case.

You cant think of any other ball game where you have to use your foot? Seriously? unless you mean you use your foot exclusively, which doesnt happen in soccer either; headers, chests, knees etc... and that's before you even get into the keeper.
    Anyway my issue isnt with soccer itself. it's the word football. On it's own it is a generic term used around the world for a number of different sports (true, largely soccer, but not exclusively.) In America, Canada, Australia and I'm sure other countries it means something totally different than it does here or in england.
    In ireland we have our own football, gaelic football, and when anyone says football i think that's what they are referring to.
    For other games, be it american football, aussie rules or association football (soccer) i think we should just call it that, if only to avoid monday morning confusion when somebody says "did you see the football" and for the next two minutes I'm talking about Armagh hammering Kerry while they're talking about some group of spanish fellas playing for two teams named after english towns.
    I think I'm right but i fully accept that this is probably an unpopular opinion, at least with a significant majority.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

You cant think of any other ball game where you have to use your foot? Seriously? unless you mean you use your foot exclusively, which doesnt happen in soccer either; headers, chests, knees etc... and that's before you even get into the keeper.
    Anyway my issue isnt with soccer itself. it's the word football. On it's own it is a generic term used around the world for a number of different sports (true, largely soccer, but not exclusively.) In America, Canada, Australia and I'm sure other countries it means something totally different than it does here or in england.
    In ireland we have our own football, gaelic football, and when anyone says football i think that's what they are referring to.
    For other games, be it american football, aussie rules or association football (soccer) i think we should just call it that, if only to avoid monday morning confusion when somebody says "did you see the football" and for the next two minutes I'm talking about Armagh hammering Kerry while they're talking about some group of spanish fellas playing for two teams named after english towns.
    I think I'm right but i fully accept that this is probably an unpopular opinion, at least with a significant majority.

Just to be clear, I have no issue with people calling it whatever they want. However, the bolded part just strikes me as obtuse. The vast, vast majority of people in Ireland are referring to association football when they say "football". You are aware of that, so to assume people are talking about GAA just seems to be intentionally ignorant.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Lanaier

whooooooosh!

EDIT, nevermind Maximus was actually serious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

I don't know if it's been mentioned yet, I'd be surprised if it hasn't, but...

The Irish property crash might have had a relatively soft landing if it were not for the global crisis.

This is too sensitive a topic to raise with most people; but I genuinely believe that over the next 10 years, that belief will gain acceptance. I think a small number of commentators already accept it, or accept that it is a possibility, but generally this is an idea that people seem to have no time for at all.

Fianna Fail pursued some mind bogglingly stupid policy inititatives, they are definitely the bogeyman in the room. But people need to understand we would be very unlikely to be in anything resembling this present situation were it not for the wicked co-incidence of our own crisis alongside the global sovereign and banking crises.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Cutting and pasting stuff you've googled isn't debating. I'd have much more time for someone who posts their own take on an issue, even if it's hilariously wrong, than someone who spends their entire time linking to 'studies' that prove a point they only made because they read it in an article.

• Advertisement

Just to be clear, I have no issue with people calling it whatever they want. However, the bolded part just strikes me as obtuse. The vast, vast majority of people in Ireland are referring to association football when they say "football". You are aware of that, so to assume people are talking about GAA just seems to be intentionally ignorant.

Well i would contend that. i dont think there has been any study done on this particular issue so neither of us is going to be proven right or wrong, we're only going by what the people in our own groups say.
    What's easily proven is that Gaelic games, particularly football, are the most popular sports in Ireland.
    Not saying that proves my point but it does show your "vast vast majority" comment to be, if anything, even more obtuse than anything i said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

I think that animal rights protests are pointless and that the people involved are often socially mal-adjusted and find it hard to relate to other humans, and then project their need for love and affection onto dumb animals that do not show reciprocal affection. Dogs don't love you, they love that you feed them.

Animals are just a part of nature's smorgasbord.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

summerskin wrote: »
    I think that animal rights protests are pointless and that the people involved are often socially mal-adjusted and find it hard to relate to other humans, and then project their need for love and affection onto dumb animals that do not show reciprocal affection. Dogs don't love you, they love that you feed them.

Animals are just a part of nature's smorgasbord.

i hope you've never kept dogs

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I hate the GAA. I hate the parish nonsense that goes along with it, the pointless county rivalries that become part of "the craic" when games are played, the silly under the counter payments to everyone but the players, the time given over to showing games, analysis and results on RTE, the culchies that it brings to Dublin every year. Hate everything about it. I also hate people wearing their county/parish/club jerseys on holidays abroad.

bluewolf wrote: »
    i hope you've never kept dogs

My family had one when i was growing up, but I'd never have one myself. I do not see the attraction at all in being jumped on and licked by a creature that licks it's own pee.

• Advertisement

lazygal wrote: »
    I hate the GAA. I hate the parish nonsense that goes along with it, the pointless county rivalries that become part of "the craic" when games are played, the silly under the counter payments to everyone but the players, the time given over to showing games, analysis and results on RTE, the culchies that it brings to Dublin every year. Hate everything about it. I also hate people wearing their county/parish/club jerseys on holidays abroad.

As far as i know there are no parish teams, just club and county teams. i dont know any clubs that are drawn along parish lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

As far as i know there are no parish teams, just club and county teams. i dont know any clubs that are drawn along parish lines.

I still hate it. There are often references to "the parish" in GAA commentary, hate that way of dividing up localities.

I still hate it. There are often references to "the parish" in GAA commentary, hate that way of dividing up localities.

Oh I'm not trying to get you to not hate it, i can totally understand why a Dub wouldnt like the GAA. For someone who hates it though you sure do seem to listen to a lot of GAA commentary. I'm from Crossmaglen and the commentators only ever refer to the lads as being from Cross, not the parish of upper creggan

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Any key?

I hate the GAA. I hate the parish nonsense that goes along with itQUOTE]

UP THE PARISH!

that sounds dirty. "It was valentines day so she let me go 'up the parish'"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Oh I'm not trying to get you to not hate it, i can totally understand why a Dub wouldnt like the GAA.
    Burn:pac:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

My family had one when i was growing up, but I'd never have one myself. I do not see the attraction at all in being jumped on and licked by a creature that licks it's own pee.

i hope you've never had children

Haha, got two.

They just don't lick their piss. or sniff other people's piss. or dump on pavements.

I've even let them have pet rabbits. It goes against my natural instinct, which is to make rabbit casserole, but so be it.

One day i'll get to fulfill my ambition though, Giant Panda burger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

slayer are overrated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Links234 wrote: »
    slayer are overrated

I want you banned, tarred, feathered and subjected to a death so gruesome and obscure I can't even remember its poxy name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭kieranfitz

Aside from most of them?
    cloptrop wrote: »
    Man I know this is the unpopular opinions thread but that there is a post deseigned to wind people up. How could you go against all the moral fibre in your fingers and allow them to type that just to get a reaction. Obviously there is no way you would wanna ride that yoke , if I was a moderator, which Im not Id ban you for trying to incite a riot . You sicko.

My turn
    I like to have sex with dead sheep.

We've all seen worse being done in coppers.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Haha, got two.

They just don't lick their piss. or sniff other people's piss. or dump on pavements.

I've even let them have pet rabbits. It goes against my natural instinct, which is to make rabbit casserole, but so be it.

Our natural instinct is superxeeded by our level of civilisation or not as the case may be. Humans are animals by the way we dont superceed other animals from a scientific view apart from intelligence that is.

kieranfitz wrote: »
    Aside from most of them?

There are about 1000 parishes in Ireland and around 2500 GAA clubs with more being formed every year.
    I find that most GAA clubs are based on towns, villages, townlands or other areas. I dont know of any that are based on the parish borders. For example my parish would be upper creggan, within upper creggan you'll find Crossmaglen Rangers, Silverbridge Harps and Naomh Malachi in Shelagh not to mention a few other players who live within the parish but whose address means they play other teams such as Cullyhanna or culloville.

steddyeddy wrote: »

Haha, got two.

Our natural instinct is superxeeded by our level of civilisation or not as the case may be. Humans are animals by the way we dont superceed other animals from a scientific view apart from intelligence that is.

And that intelligence helps me make a lovely red wine and cognac sauce to pour on my venison while the infinitely inferior lion eats it's meat without a tasty sauce and other delicious accompaniments.

Although the lion steak I had about 20 years ago in Africa was reasonably tasty, if a little sinewy. Probably better in a curry, on reflection.

And that intelligence helps me make a lovely red wine and cognac sauce to pour on my venison while the infinitely inferior lion eats it's meat without a tasty sauce and other delicious accompaniments.

Although the lion steak I had about 20 years ago in Africa was reasonably tasty, if a little sinewy. Probably better in a curry, on reflection.

Let's put you in a 1v1 with a lion and see who's infinitely inferior. ;)

Humans as a group may be "superior" to other animals, but alone we are just dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Haha, got two.

Considering the amount of tapeworm often found in lion meat skipping it may have been the better option.I dont think you made the red wine and cognac yourself by the way someone more intelligent by your sttandards made that for you!

Haha, got two.

Considering the amount of tapeworm often found in lion meat skipping it may have been the better option.I dont think you made the red wine and cognac yourself by the way someone more intelligent by your sttandards made that for you!

So by your logic a sign of higher intelligence is being part of a production process? Hmm, struggling with the career ladder perhaps?

My intelligence allows me to earn a salary that in turn gives me the opportunity to purchase products that other people have had to work hard to create and perfect. It's called capitalism.

Oh and 1v1 with a lion, my human intelligence would allow me to hold a rather large shotgun, something the poor old lion could not do.

Now go and have a ham sandwich and calm down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Nodin wrote: »
    I want you banned, tarred, feathered and subjected to a death so gruesome and obscure I can't even remember its poxy name.

Did I mention Pantera weren't all that? :pac:

So by your logic a sign of higher intelligence is being part of a production process? Hmm, struggling with the career ladder perhaps?

My intelligence allows me to earn a salary that in turn gives me the opportunity to purchase products that other people have had to work hard to create and perfect. It's called capitalism.

Oh and 1v1 with a lion, my human intelligence would allow me to hold a rather large shotgun, something the poor old lion could not do.

Except that only as a group did humans develop the shotgun. Even if you happen to have learned to design and build your own shotgun and ammunition, along with all of the equipment required to do so, you weren't born with that knowledge. You learned it from the group of humans who have gone before and slowly developed it over thousands of years.

Alone, a human is a weak, slow, defenseless, irrational and idiotic lump of tasty flesh. Lions love those.

• Advertisement

Except that only as a group did humans develop the shotgun. Even if you happen to have learned to design and build your own shotgun and ammunition, along with all of the equipment required to do so, you weren't born with that knowledge. You learned it from the group of humans who have gone before and slowly developed it over thousands of years.

Alone, a human is a weak, slow, defenseless, irrational and idiotic lump of tasty flesh. Lions love those.

But we're not alone are we? We have evolved to a higher level of intelligence than any other species, we have collaborated on huge technological advances over the last few millennia. Redundant point really.

Now, if lions had opposable thumbs.....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement