Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭mel1

You should really stop saying "negro," it can't see it going down well.

Do you have any stats to back up your claim that many foreign people are coming here for a free ride?

Anyway, they're not entitled to a free ride.
    EU immigrants have to build up tax credits to claim social welfare, just like us.
    Restrictions are much tougher for those outside the EU, and asylum seekers get €19 disposable income before probably being deported.

I agree that people shouldn't go to another country just to get a free ride.
    Obviously there's always going to be a few people trying to cheat any system (from here and abroad) but I don't think many people come here to do so.

My apoligies to anyone offended as i thought that was the correct use of the word for coloured person, and if thats the wrong term them maybe someone would like to correct me with the right word!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

mel1 wrote: »
    My apoligies to anyone offended as i thought that was the correct use of the word for coloured person, and if thats the wrong term them maybe someone would like to correct me with the right word!

I think when you're talking about black people from more than one country, "black" is fine :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Or blue people

daoine gorm

I always wondered how that one came about in Irish

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Or blue people

daoine gorm

I always wondered how that one came about in Irish

Language affects colour perception. Gorm might not have originally translated to precisely the same range of frequencies that we call "blue". If that's the case, it could have been just as natural to call brown people "gorm" as it is for us to call them "black".

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭mel1

I agree that people shouldn't go to another country just to get a free ride.
    Obviously there's always going to be a few people trying to cheat any system (from here and abroad) but I don't think many people come here to do so.[/QUOTE]

Sorry King of moo but i do feel that you are a little too kind or maybe a little naive and i mean absoutly no offence by saying that!
    At the min 20% of who is on the dole is non irish, that is a lot in the grand scheme of things, and i can only assume that they are entitled to stay on the dole until they find employment or go home!
    And they milk the system dry for every entitlment, the know more about the irish system than the irish do!
    No other country give out these benfits, if i go to usa or lithuania, or russia or australia and work for few months and then have no job would i get any kind of support. I would not, i wouldnt even ask anyone or look into it (cause i would know better) i would go home! like i said soft Irish who need to spend more time looking after themselves and quit trying to look good for everyone else!
    But that is only my opinion!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

At the min 20% of who is on the dole is non irish, that is a lot in the grand scheme of things

Not it's not actually. It's close to the same percentage of people in Ireland who are not of Irish origin. Thereby ruining your argument that "foriegners" are coming in and abusing the dole more than our own.

Sorry King of moo but i do feel that you are a little too kind or maybe a little naive and i mean absoutly no offence by saying that!
    At the min 20% of who is on the dole is non irish, that is a lot in the grand scheme of things, and i can only assume that they are entitled to stay on the dole until they find employment or go home!
    And they milk the system dry for every entitlment, the know more about the irish system than the irish do!
    No other country give out these benfits, if i go to usa or lithuania, or russia or australia and work for few months and then have no job would i get any kind of support. I would not, i wouldnt even ask anyone or look into it (cause i would know better) i would go home! like i said soft Irish who need to spend more time looking after themselves and quit trying to look good for everyone else!
    But that is only my opinion!

But if you went somewhere within the EU and worked long enough, you could claim the dole there.
    At the end of the day, EU citizens are perfectly entitled to claim welfare here after they've worked long enough.

Doubtless there's a few people fiddling the system, but I'm sure there are plenty of Irish people doing so too.
    Realistically that's always going to be the case.
    But while I don't agree with welfare fraud, I think it generates a disproportionate amount of anger given what it costs us, and I'm sure the political classes are delighted to see the issue get so much attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Zorbas

Anyone from any country can walk into s/w office with bunch kids look for money and accomodation and be given it, i saw it with my own eyes while with my friend whose husband had abandoned her and her kids, she need some cash to tide her over and was not given any help, a negro went in before her and got cash in hand and other person (as above) got what he was looking for! bit unfair i think. and no i am not racist but i think its every country for themselves now!

yes you are right but most see my opinion as being racist and that in itself is said to be unpopuluar even though i recon most think it but think its politicaly incorrect to speak their mind!

The reason I would see your comments as racist is because you focus on a Negro who got money but you have no idea if that person has not made contributions to the State in the past. If it had been a white preson, you would have said nothing but just because someone is black you jump to judgement. There are strict rules on who is entitled to assistance and who is not and it may not always be fair but join the human race - it was ever thus.
    Hope your friend gets some support anyhow but no need to get racist about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Explosions in the Sky

People compare music nowadays with music with the past, statements like Kings of Leon wannabe Rolling stones etc, people just cant appreciate something with comparing it with the past, dam nostalgia :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Anyone from any country can walk into s/w office with bunch kids look for money and accomodation and be given it,

...Bollocks.
    mel1 wrote:
    i saw it with my own eyes while with my friend whose husband had abandoned her and her kids, she need some cash to tide her over and was not given any help, a negro went in before her and got cash in hand and other person (as above) got what he was looking for! bit unfair i think. and no i am not racist but i think its every country for themselves now!

....how do you know that the "negro" was not entitled to what they were given? Did your Red Undserving Foriegner Detecting Crystal start to flash and vibrate?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

I don't find the swastika offensive because it was used by others and not just the Nazis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Snappy the Moose

You know what you are,
    You know what you are,
    Patrice Evra,
    You know what you are!

Probably an unpopular opinion but one that cannot be denied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

I'd shag Miriam O'Callaghan and Amanda Brunker

You know what you are,
    You know what you are,
    Patrice Evra,

You know what you are!

A left back?

I genuinely don't know what this chant refers to.

A left back?

I genuinely don't know what this chant refers to.

You know what Liverpool fans are like

A soccer player of course..............;)

Is a handshake really worthy of discussion in the international media

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 billybilly

I believe that men should act like men and women should act like women. It seems like nowadays women are ashamed to be feminine and in many ways strive to be masculine. Men on the other hand still value their masculinity, but feel suffocated by the over presence of women in every aspect of life, including in places which are simply naturally far better suited for only men and should be exclusive to males.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

God damn wimmin in the coal mines :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭rosskind

I actually think Suarez was right not to shake Evra's hand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭round tower huntsman

I happen to think Bono is a sound lad[/B]

shamefull.

rosskind wrote: »
    I actually think Suarez was right not to shake Evra's hand.

Why?

Why?

He would have been quite susceptible to picking up some sort of disease I would have thought, hence why he refused and I think I would have done the same.

billybilly wrote: »
    I believe that men should act like men and women should act like women. It seems like nowadays women are ashamed to be feminine and in many ways strive to be masculine. Men on the other hand still value their masculinity, but feel suffocated by the over presence of women in every aspect of life, including in places which are simply naturally far better suited for only men and should be exclusive to males.

What ways should men act and what ways should women act?

Personally I don't really believe in an absolutist view of masculinity and femininity. It's a sliding scale and in terms of actual behaviour, most of what we consider inherently male or female characteristics is either learned or not true.

I don't feel suffocated by "the over presence of women in every aspect of life;" nor do I know any men who feel that way. Are you sure there's an "over presence" of women? Are you sure you're not just observing the fact that there are more women in the world than men?
    If they're "over present in every aspect of life," how should they become less present? How present should they be? Present in the kitchen and the bedroom only?

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭rosskind

Evra's a dirty liar who got him banned for 8 matches. Well that's how Suarez would see it anyway. Why would he shake his hand when Evra's hardly shown any sportsmanship?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

Nolanger wrote: »
    I don't find the swastika offensive because it was used by others and not just the Nazis.

Irreparable damage has been done to the image of the swastika. Try as you might to redeem it - it was the stamp on the order of the deaths of millions and millions of innocent people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

I don't think the use of the word Negro by a spanish speaker is all that big deal, and nor has the use of the word Negro been historically used by racists in the US ( the racists used the banned N word which rhymes with Bigger), and not historically in the UK where the word used was Wog, as in the late and unlamented racist children's toy.

Negro was used by liberals. Here is JFK on black-white disadvantage:

John F. Kennedy, speech on television (11th June, 1963)

The Negro baby born in America today, regardless of the section of the nation in which he is born, has about one-half as much chance of completing high school as a white baby born in the same place on the same day; one third as much chance of completing college; one third as much chance of becoming a professional man; twice as much chance of becoming unemployed; about one-seventh as much chance of earning $10,000 a year; a life expectancy which is seven years shorter; and the prospects of earning only half as much.

The whole FA led hysteria about it actually shows how badly educated the English are on other people's culture.Or, indeed, their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

You know what you are,
    You know what you are,
    Patrice Evra,
    You know what you are!

Without commenting too much, he seems a a bit overly dramatic, should go in for amateur dramatics, suppose that's the realm of the modern day pampered soccer player.

Yeah, I've a Suarez sig! ;) Just as bad for the over acting.

Whole thing reminds me of boxing publicity type stuff, with Sky lapping it up.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

I believe that people shouldn't waste their time defending either of two childish, spoiled football players who are as bad as each other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

I believe that people shouldn't waste their time defending either of two childish, spoiled football players who are as bad as each other.

Agreed.

Some soccer fans REALLY need to re-evaluate their lives and wonder why issues like Evra/Suarez effect them so deeply that they are blinkered to any sort of objectivity. Its frightening. Terry Eagleton was right about soccer.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement