Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vu+ duo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dfdream

Just wondering how all the guys with the Sony Play TV dual tuners are getting on with the latest VIX images.
    I have a sundtek media pro and its been patchy at best so I was wondering how people are getting on with them.
    In reality they should work 100% of the time (like the sat tuner) so can users say that its equal to the sat tuner or not worth the effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stanley1

excellent dual tuner, uses hauppauge drivers, never missed a recording yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭jgc115

dfdream wrote: »
    Just wondering how all the guys with the Sony Play TV dual tuners are getting on with the latest VIX images.
    I have a sundtek media pro and its been patchy at best so I was wondering how people are getting on with them.
    In reality they should work 100% of the time (like the sat tuner) so can users say that its equal to the sat tuner or not worth the effort.

Sorry to say I have 4 of them - Nova-T, PS3-TV, Sundtek Media Pro and the latest PCTV-Nanostick T2 (as in UK T2) and I upgraded last weekend to 204 and I've been testing them ever since. The best of the lot I found, would you believe, the PCTV-T2 nanostick and the worst one is the Sundtek Media Pro.

I found the hardest to break was the PCTV-T2 and since Vix 204 I only get the black screen but luckily it doesn't hank the box. I can carry on watching Sat channels but blank screens on all DTT channels.

I found the Sundtek the worst, so I've just given up on this as the drivers have not kept pace with the image. The Nova-T and PS3-TV are fine but a little bit more easier to break by changing channels up and down and flicking between DTT and Sat. - Never lost a recording on any.

Hope this helps, but you are right they all should be 100%.

Phew..

Im not alone....

I think how much you use the DTT Tuner is key to its stability. I taped all my irish programs with it and regularly would have upto 3 programs recording on SAT and DTT at the same time. And regularly would run into trouble. Now I get my solo in kitchen to record all irish programs to Duos HDD so I can keep a tuner free most of the time. Kitchen TV is never used after 9 so its ideal. And no hang ups yet. but easy for it when its not being used.

As for the sony tuner I see far back in this thread that users praised the Play TV and no complaints later so thats why I asked about it here.

Sundtek was the bees knees tuner at the start and they would turn over bakwards to help users but it didnt last long. Personally Id say some of the issue is with VU because 99% of DTT complaints on images that support VU and Dreambox etc seem to be with VU products.

D
    jgc115 wrote: »
    Sorry to say I have 4 of them - Nova-T, PS3-TV, Sundtek Media Pro and the latest PCTV-Nanostick T2 (as in UK T2) and I upgraded last weekend to 204 and I've been testing them ever since. The best of the lot I found, would you believe, the PCTV-T2 nanostick and the worst one is the Sundtek Media Pro.

I found the hardest to break was the PCTV-T2 and since Vix 204 I only get the black screen but luckily it doesn't hank the box. I can carry on watching Sat channels but blank screens on all DTT channels.

I found the Sundtek the worst, so I've just given up on this as the drivers have not kept pace with the image. The Nova-T and PS3-TV are fine but a little bit more easier to break by changing channels up and down and flicking between DTT and Sat. - Never lost a recording on any.

Hope this helps, but you are right they all should be 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

how much was the pctv-t2?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭jgc115

glic83 wrote: »
    how much was the pctv-t2?

It's about 58/59 pounds sterling on Amazon.
    Maybe it's my imagination but I also find the picture quality on the PCTV-T2 better than the other DTT sticks and because it's a T2 there might be more support for it in the future i.e. Digital Teletext, which doesn't work at the moment on it. Only analogue teletext.:(

dfdream, yes I also found the Sundtek fantastic when I bought it first over a year ago. But, now a total disaster.

jgc115 thanks for the update.
    Thing is you end up spending the price of another Duo trying to find a DTT tuner that works 100%. Maybe the ultimo with DTT tuner might be the solution, even though the issues with it seen on the forums seems to imply that its not as stable as it should for the price.

D
    jgc115 wrote: »
    It's about 58/59 pounds sterling on Amazon.
    Maybe it's my imagination but I also find the picture quality on the PCTV-T2 better than the other DTT sticks and because it's a T2 there might be more support for it in the future i.e. Digital Teletext, which doesn't work at the moment on it. Only analogue teletext.:(

dfdream, yes I also found the Sundtek fantastic when I bought it first over a year ago. But, now a total disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Gunther_Gloop

What kind of "instability" are people experiencing with DTT here?

I have a Nova-T and I can't remember the last time I had any issue. It was definitely before Christmas -November/ October maybe. ...and even then a simple reboot sorted it.
    (When it did happen, basically the Irish channels would go blank.)

I can't say I notice any instability in DTT now. (?)

Then again I don't watch those channels -or TV in general- every day, so it could be usage-related as someone pointed out. Is it caused by the usb-port overheating, as someone else suggested some time ago? That would make it a hardware issue and may be solved by... I dunno, plugging it in via an external active usb hub (if that worked) perhaps?
    Or a fan?

it's frustrating to see that all these tuners seem to work 100% in the UK, has anyone used these tuners with a Dreambox and how do they behave.

What are they used for in the UK?

• Advertisement

freeview.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

stanley1 wrote: »
    freeview.

Yeah, but if you have a vu+, then you will probably have freesat, which has most/all? of the channels on freeview.

they also have top-up, maybe available through a card slot on vu.

What does that mean?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

My Nova-T has been a lot more reliable since the introduction of a powered USB hub for it, instead of relying on what I deem to be insufficient power from the Vu+ itself to drive the Nova-T.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭IrishBazza

I am looking at buying the new Vu+ Ultimo, does anyone have any experience of dealing with ielektroniks.com. They seem to doing a good deal at euro price. It's a sizeable investment, just want to deal with the right company with my hard earned cash.

Appreciate the advice in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,216 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

IrishBazza wrote: »
    I am looking at buying the new Vu+ Ultimo, does anyone have any experience of dealing with ielektroniks.com. They seem to doing a good deal at euro price. It's a sizeable investment, just want to deal with the right company with my hard earned cash.

Appreciate the advice in advance.

I got my Uno from there. Very good company. Mine was shipped out fast and I had it within a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

For those having problems with USB dtt tuners try turning off permanent timeshift. Its been suggested that the problem may be with PTS.

I have 2 duos both with Nova TD sticks and all has been fine for over year now. One box has latest version of VIX, the second has April 2011 version of VIX (2.14 I THINK) Both perform the same with DTT. Faultless.

I do not use permanent Timeshift......

will try that, how do I turn it off?

will try that, how do I turn it off?

Menu/Setup/System/Timeshift settings/Permanent Timeshift Enable = No.

thanks, got it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Wiggy

givecredit wrote: »
    For those having problems with USB dtt tuners try turning off permanent timeshift. Its been suggested that the problem may be with PTS.

I have 2 duos both with Nova TD sticks and all has been fine for over year now. One box has latest version of VIX, the second has April 2011 version of VIX (2.14 I THINK) Both perform the same with DTT. Faultless.

I do not use permanent Timeshift......

It's also been suggested that the DTT problems are due to not using a powered USB hub.
    This might indeed be an issue if you are using a USB stick for swap and other storage.

GiveCredit, do you use a USB stick in addition to a DTT stick?

Wiggy wrote: »
    GiveCredit, do you use a USB stick in addition to a DTT stick?

No. I do not use usb stick. I save epg to harddrive. No picons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

I might be able to shed some light on DTT issues. I have recently moved house. In my old place, I was plugging the roof aerial into the Nova T at the back of the VU+Duo and never had a problem. It always worked flawlessly for me. I could record, zap etc. Saorview picture was always great.

In the new house, there is also an aerial on the roof. plugging it in to the Nova T, the picture kept stuttering with blocky mpeg artifacts. When I plugged the aerial directly into the TV, which has a DTT tuner,the picture is perfect and I get all my saorview channels.

So, I am guessing that the Nova T requires a strong signal. If the signal is a little on the weak side, the Nova T gives up where as the Tv does not at all.

Solutions for Nova T
    ===============
    Adjust aerial
    Better aerial
    Signal booster

That is interesting, but it is not the problem I am having.

I get consistent 70%+ signal strength, and don't get artifacts.

It just randomly stops working. If it is working, and I do a GUI reboot, it always stops working. And if I do a full reboot, it starts working again.

I use a USB stick for swap and Picons, so I am going to try a powered USB to see if that fixes it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

Wiggy wrote: »
    That is interesting, but it is not the problem I am having.

I get consistent 70%+ signal strength, and don't get artifacts.

It just randomly stops working. If it is working, and I do a GUI reboot, it always stops working. And if I do a full reboot, it starts working again.

I use a USB stick for swap and Picons, so I am going to try a powered USB to see if that fixes it.

The stop wroking issue could be to do with the devices error handling. So if you were to up your signal quality, I'd be interested to see if it reduced the issues you are having.

dnme wrote: »
    The stop wroking issue could be to do with the devices error handling. So if you were to up your signal quality, I'd be interested to see if it reduced the issues you are having.

What signal level do you get? I thought 70% + was more than adequate. It certainly is for DVB-S.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭joe250

I am using this image the last 4 days and tuner working Perfect

It is "Black Hole Vu+ Duo 1.7.2 (media-tree)" and updates listed "NEW NEW NEW: Next generation Usb Tuner Drivers (media-tree bh build)"

I did not have to add any drivers to get tuner working it was detected straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rurs

joe250 wrote: »
    I am using this image the last 4 days and tuner working Perfect

It is "Black Hole Vu+ Duo 1.7.2 (media-tree)" and updates listed "NEW NEW NEW: Next generation Usb Tuner Drivers (media-tree bh build)"

I did not have to add any drivers to get tuner working it was detected straight away.

Interesting, what image were you using before, and did you have usb tuner problems?
    I think this looks like it will be worth a flash over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭joe250

rurs wrote: »
    Interesting, what image were you using before, and did you have usb tuner problems?
    I think this looks like it will be worth a flash over the weekend.

I was using older black hole 1.6.7 and had the reboot most days to get tuner working.

• Advertisement

I'm on Black Hole Vu+ Duo 1.7.1, and will upgrade to Black Hole Vu+ Duo 1.7.2 over the weekend.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement