Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vu+ duo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rurs

Wiggy wrote: »
    5.5 I think? The one that displays picons on the top of the screen.

I used to use MQB, but the only reason I had it was to assign CoolTVGuide to the EPG button. MQB isn't included in backup, so I just gave up on it.

I found I preferred the default functionality of CoolTVGuide once I got used to it. And CoolTVGuide allows me to assign a short Green Button to Auto Timer, which was my main reason for wanting to assign buttons in any case.

Was wondering because the summaries are still disappearing for me (v5.6.1).

Gave Vix a go for a couple of weeks. There's a lot to like, but I had about 7 or 8 freezes or crashes, just when zapping. Plus the USB tuner problems were still there. A couple of spontaneous reboots as well. All I'd added was Cccam.

So I went back to BH. Twice in two days the USB tuner has failed:mad: I thought I had it on my powered hub, but when I checked, it was in the top port. It's on the hub now. We'll see...

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭IrishBazza

Having read this thread over the years, I have decided to take the plunge and purchase the new Vu+ Ultimo after the positive reviews. I am a newbie to the world of linux base satellite box, but I am looking forward to getting it set up, as I have a gadget head on me.

I have purchased the Ultimo with the two sat and one terrestrial tuner with a 2TB hardware built in. I would appreciate some advice on the best image, plug-in etc. My set up will be as follows:

Tuner 1 - Motor Dish
    Tuner 2 - FTA channels at 28.2 East
    Tuner 3 - Soarview

I would like to have a good reliable image/plugin EPG listings for both FTA, Motor (13 East for Canal+) and Soarview.

In addition, a plug-in if available for serial link recording would be a bonus for the hard drive recording ease of use.

Your help would be appreciated.

Thanks

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

IrishBazza wrote: »
    Having read this thread over the years, I have decided to take the plunge and purchase the new Vu+ Ultimo after the positive reviews. I am a newbie to the world of linux base satellite box, but I am looking forward to getting it set up, as I have a gadget head on me.

I have purchased the Ultimo with the two sat and one terrestrial tuner with a 2TB hardware built in. I would appreciate some advice on the best image, plug-in etc. My set up will be as follows:

Tuner 1 - Motor Dish
    Tuner 2 - FTA channels at 28.2 East
    Tuner 3 - Soarview

I would like to have a good reliable image/plugin EPG listings for both FTA, Motor (13 East for Canal+) and Soarview.

In addition, a plug-in if available for serial link recording would be a bonus for the hard drive recording ease of use.

Your help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Best of luck with your new Vu+!

May I suggest a new thread for just the Ultimo? Some of the stuff in this thread may not be relevant to your superior Ultimo! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭bazery

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Gunther_Gloop

byte wrote: »
    Best of luck with your new Vu+!

May I suggest a new thread for just the Ultimo? Some of the stuff in this thread may not be relevant to your superior Ultimo! :)

I don't see a reason for another thread. For one thing, it may not get the same number of contributors/ readers. For another, some people here tend to know a little bit at least about what they're talking about and that knowledge will mostly be applicable to the Ultimo too.

All that said, forums are perhaps the worst way in the world to keep up to date on stuff -where does one start to read in order to find out about something? How far back to go? ...this is a general non-specific rhetorical complaint, not seeking to argue the point. :/

• Advertisement

bazery wrote: »

Looks good to me... as long as they're reliable and that delivery isn't extortionate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Could be a clone? I don't know that website so cant comment for certain. I've heard on other forums that the Vu+ are now being cloned.

They even have a warning on the official vu+ website.

http://www2.vuplus.com/14-vuplus-articles/100-caution-vu-clone

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭theblueirish

I'm sure its a clone at that price. I have one and so far its great but not had much chance to play with it.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I don't see a reason for another thread. For one thing, it may not get the same number of contributors/ readers. For another, some people here tend to know a little bit at least about what they're talking about and that knowledge will mostly be applicable to the Ultimo too.

All that said, forums are perhaps the worst way in the world to keep up to date on stuff -where does one start to read in order to find out about something? How far back to go? ...this is a general non-specific rhetorical complaint, not seeking to argue the point. :/
    Fair point, however this thread was originally about the Duo, no other box, which presumably uses different versions of software. I suggest it to avoid confusion on a thread which is quite oversized as is, I think.

Anyway, that was perhaps OT, even though discussion of the Ultimo in a Duo thread might also be construed as OT... hehe :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Looks good to me... as long as they're reliable and that delivery isn't extortionate.
    Its definitely a clone ,all of their Dreamboxes are clones too.
    Its expensive for a clone .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭norbert64

Possible best DEAL out there? :cool:

Vu+ Duo with 2 TB HDD for €425.00
    http://www.satboxes.com/shop/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=32

Throw in a DVB-T stick for €16.99
    http://www.satboxes.com/shop/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=63

Delivery of about €10 I believe, comes in around €450 in total.

BTW, forgive me (answer is probably here in this thread somewheres) but just on the epg issue. All these 7 day sat/dtt plugins are run by having your box connected to the net, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭Zardoz

norbert64 wrote: »

BTW, forgive me (answer is probably here in this thread somewheres) but just on the epg issue. All these 7 day sat/dtt plugins are run by having your box connected to the net, right?
    Its not necessary to connect to the internet.
    CrossEpg can grab the epg stream from a specific satellite channel (EPG Background audio transponder) and save it to a memory stick or hard drive .
    It tunes to that channel and downloads the listings ,takes ~3 minutes .
    Its the same guide as on a Sky Box .
    I prefer this guide to the xmltv ones which you load via the internet as it is alot more accurate.

Zardoz wrote: »
    CrossEpg can grab the epg stream from a specific satellite channel (EPG Background audio transponder) and save it to a memory stick or hard drive .
    I prefer this guide to the xmltv ones which you load via the internet as it is alot more accurate.

...but the Irish DTT channels (now) need to be downloaded via the internet don't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Apogee

...but the Irish DTT channels (now) need to be downloaded via the internet don't they?

No, they EPG info for the Irish channels on Saorview is transmitted using standard DVB-SI so is available on any DVB-T compliant receiver.

Same for Saorsat and any DVB-S2 receiver.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

not in my experience (except for maybe eurosport, when it is showing live sport)

that issue was fixed a long time ago.

Ah, OK.
    Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Found an even better price. This price includes VAT, btw. ;)
    http://www.zintek.ie/receivers/network-receivers/vu-duo.html

Useful website for the STB
    http://www.vuplushd.tv/index.php

Another option
    http://www.sat.ie/en/satellite-receivers/hd-receivers/vu-duo-linux-twin-hdtv-receiver-usb-pvr-ready.html

Talk of clones would put me off any cheap source until they were reliably verified.

I'm happy with the service and price I (and others here) got from ielektroniks.com.

Talk of clones would put me off any cheap source until they were reliably verified.

I'm happy with the service and price I (and others here) got from ielektroniks.com.
    Surely zintek are a reputable outfit.
    Satboxes usually give full disclosure on there website about clones too?

BTW, the basic pvr ready VU+ Duo is €339 on satboxes.

Satboxes delivery is now €17.25

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

[/url]

Yes and as its an Irish company the vat stays here . Its good to see they have VAT included as some Irish web companies do not unfortunately.

Indeed they are and have been in the Irish market as long as I can remember.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

I'm sure its a clone at that price. I have one and so far its great but not had much chance to play with it.

Mixeshop ?

Be careful. There are already suspicions that one of the software teams has a time bomb in their latest firmware to disable these clones.

I don't condone or codemn clones myself as the retail price for the original box was off the wall when they first came out. But whats the difference now between real and not so real ? €130 ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭dSleeper

Satboxes usually give full disclosure on there website about clones too?

BTW, the basic pvr ready VU+ Duo is €339 on satboxes.

Personally I've found Zintec to be better value than importing from the UK. They also provided me with after sales support, and had me sorted in an hour. TBH, I was surprised that they have the full range of vu+ receivers even the Ultimo. They are not clones for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

Ah, OK.
    Thanks for clearing that up for me.

http://www.zintek.ie/receivers/network-receivers/vu-duo.html

Useful website for the STB
    http://www.vuplushd.tv/index.php

Another option
    http://www.sat.ie/en/satellite-receivers/hd-receivers/vu-duo-linux-twin-hdtv-receiver-usb-pvr-ready.html
    I've bought from zintek and have found them good in the past, never heard of sat.ie

I doubt very much that zintek would sell clones too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

I just upgraded to the latsest Vix image and it has thrown my settings out. I can't remember how to resize the picture. Can someone help please?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Menu>Setup>System>OSD>OSD Setup

or

Menu>Setup>System>A/V Settings

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

Thanks recyclebin. I went to the OSD setting and changed width and height and it did the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

Im hearing the PCTV T2 290e tunner is supposed to be very stable to use,would the users here agree?

Any good media player for the Vix Image on a vu duo other than the standard media player for video files?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,485 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Any good media player for the Vix Image on a vu duo other than the standard media player for video files?

I'm using project Valerie at the moment as the front end for my media player, and after some tweaking adding filetypes and setting up paths via the webIF.
    I must say its a very nifty little plugin.
    I particularly like the way it will pull movie synopsis and posters from IMDB along with grouping TV series with artwork and synopsis and allow me sequential playback on series.

It did take me a little while to get all my media set up in the Project Valerie database.
    I had a few issues getting it up and running initially with incorrect sync but the folks over at the PV forum were a great help and shared with me the little trick of using a 'valerie.info' file particularly for TV series ;)
    And the time i spent getting to learn how to use both the PV web interface and the built in sync manager have paid off for me.

Only issue I have with Valerie on VIX, is that while Project Valerie do release nightly builds.....Their last release candidate was r1211 while the VIX install always defaults to r1162 and will remain at that until the next new version is released and the feeds updated!
    Even installing the latest .ipk will default to an r1162 install and I have yet to find a way around this.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭IrishBazza

Just purchased my first Vu+, does anyone have Irish DTT/Freesat bouquet? DTT from Kippure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Wiggy

banie01 wrote: »
    Even installing the latest .ipk will default to an r1162 install and I have yet to find a way around this.

Interesting, I might give that a spin.

Which .ipk do you need for a VU+?

project-valerie_<rev>_mipsel_oe16.ipk,
    project-valerie_<rev>_mipsel_oe15.ipk

or

project-valerie_<rev>_sh4.ipk?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement