Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drogheda Restaurant Reviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

I think they recently added another sauce variation now that I think of it.
    I recall a friend going up a few weeks ago and saying they have a new kind of sauce as well as Cajun. I'll ask tomorrow, don't fancy dropping him a text this late. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

I am pretty sure they are buffalo flavour wings

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

Sorry to go of topic but do you still have to book the esb weeks in advance for a friday or saturday night? Will have to go back after reading all these great reviews, I live about 20 metres from it and have only ever been once.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I booked on a Friday for the following Friday with no probs, although I know someone who booked two weeks in advance and had to eat at the bar!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Is Tangos the all you can eat chinese?? If so whats the quality like?

• Advertisement

delly wrote: »
    After all this time, I managed to get to the Eastern Seaboard for the first time last night, so it was a case of seeing for myself if all the upbeat posts and first time regs promoting the ES were in fact justified.

It was all it could have been and so much more! The food was simply delicious, fillet steak so tender it simply fell apart. While there are a few spots in Drogheda I like to frequent, I don't think I could visit them as much, knowing what the ES has to offer and at pretty normal prices.

I will be back.

A workmate of mine recommended the Eastern Seaboard (I don't live in Drogheda but I have reason to visit it quite a bit). I gave it a go (along with my wife and teenage son) a couple of weeks ago. It was spot on, and better than anything else I've tried in Drogheda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Shoe Lover

Got a very disappointing take away out of Chancos on Saturday. It's been a long time since we had anything out of there but we decided to give it a go. We got a vegetable chow mein and a chicken curry. The Chow Mein was tasteless, all of the veg was over cooked but this was nothing compared to the curry that came complete with uncooked chicken! Safe to say, that Chancos and I are finished now :mad:

On the other side of things, we went to the d for a drink on Friday night and ended up having something to eat there. 11.99 for two courses. Very good value and the food was nice. Again, you wouldn't want to be in a hurry but it was grand as we were just relaxing after work! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭bastados

Achilles24 wrote: »
    The eastern seaboard is without doubt the best drogheda has to offer...

served burnt food there a few months ago..maybe thats was a one off but how do you explain food being burnt?..inexcusable if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

Tangos is all you can eat and the food is top notch. No comparison to other all you can eat imho

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

bastados wrote: »
    served burnt food there a few months ago..maybe thats was a one off but how do you explain food being burnt?..inexcusable if you ask me.

I went there on Friday with 3 of my brothers for my birthday. It's every bit as good as I remembered it from the last time I was there, about a year ago. Good to see. Hopefully the return will be sooner :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭barneysplash

Oh, that figs and nut starter in the Eastern Seaboard - absolute heaven.

Best restaurant in Drogheda by a mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭woody1

so went to eastern seaboard in the end , and i have to say i was impressed by it,
    good food and plenty of it, not crazilly expensive,
    very good service, we were unsure what wine to get and they let us taste a couple of bottles,
    i like that its big and open and airy and the tables are all so close together..
    will definitely be going back

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭furiousox

Went to Antica Toscana for the first time last night and came away very impressed.
    Got there about 8pm and the place was about half full, we took a table near the windows as it was a bit quieter there.
    I had a plate of antipasto to start and got a delicious and generous portion of Italian meats along with two small pieces of garlic bread.
    Mrs ox had bruschetta which came with some cajun style chicken.
    Tasted a piece of the chicken and it was delicious, mrs ox loved it and declared it to be the best bruschetta she'd ever tasted.
    I had a pizza Napoletana which came with olives, capers and anchovies.
    (I asked for salami on the pizza as well)
    Mrs ox had Tagliatelle Antica Toscana which came with prawns, salmon and mushrooms in a creamy garlic sauce.
    The pizza was lovely, nice and crispy with tasty fresh toppings cooked to perfection.
    Mrs ox was was well pleased with her pasta saying it was delicious and cooked perfectly al dente.
    The small piece I was allowed taste was indeed delicious!
    Neither of us could face dessert so we finished off with an espresso for me and a cappuccino for my attractive lady friend.
    The total for the food and a half litre carafe of the house red wine (E12) was E60.
    Service was fine, all staff were friendly and attentive.
    So, we both enjoyed our first visit and will definitely be back.

P.S. found it difficult to find their phone number online but found this link which also has their menu.

http://edition.pagesuite-professional.co.uk/launch.aspx?referral=other&pnum=9&refresh=nM19R6q030Xt&EID=292cd9cd-ff98-4147-b323-bb8494befe54&skip=&p=9

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

I went to jaffas on Satyrday for lunch.

I had been there during the summer and didnt enjoy it but as it used to be my favourite place for lunch I thought id give it another try.

I wish it would just go back to how it was in the first year or two it was open. Service was awful, 2-3 of us werent happy with our food. MEH!

Actually couldnt believe the waiters carry on but ill say no more, I dont want to get anyone in trouble :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

gonker wrote: »
    Tangos is all you can eat and the food is top notch. No comparison to other all you can eat imho
    Is Tangos all-you-can-eat buffet or table service?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Armaghmagic

It is table service DublinWriter, I have had it a couple of times myself and the staff are never slow in asking do you need a "top-up". Very nice place and food too!

Another restaurant to eat in is Scholars in Kings Street, reasonable and delicious!

It is table service DublinWriter, I have had it a couple of times myself and the staff are never slow in asking do you need a "top-up". Very nice place and food too!
    That's good - the reason I asked is the Chinese in Bettytown, although the food is fantasic, is table-service all-you-can-eat and service can be really slow if the place is busy (which is normally is).

Any particular times to avoid Tangos, or the best times to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Armaghmagic

A Saturday evening can be pretty busy so anything apart from that you should have no problems!

There might be others who can tell you better but from my experience ive found that to be the case!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Can anyone recommend a good place that is reasonably priced over-all and serves good steak meals?
    When I recover, I intend to take the wife out.

Biggins wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a good place that is reasonably priced over-all and serves good steak meals?
    When I recover, I intend to take the wife out.

Antica Toscana's steaks range from E15.95 to E22.50.
    D'vine do a nice steak, can't remember the cost.
    There's a steakhouse in Slane, think it's The Poets Rest, haven't tried it yet.
    And of course there's the Seaboard, nice steaks but a bit on the dear side.

CPL 593H

• Advertisement

We were there Saturday and had no problem with service. They seem to have plenty of staff.
    Lovely as always.
    :D

gonker wrote: »
    If you are up looking at St olivers and you like Chinese I would recommend Tangos just beside it. The all you can eat menu is very good value.
    Myself and the wife chanced Tangos today at 3pm. The AYCE menu was €28.50 - that's good value!?!

We also tried the Eastern Seaboard during the week.

I know it's very unfair to judge a place on the strength of one visit, but the place left both of us pretty cold, leaving me to wonder who's posting up all these rave reviews of it on here and on menupages.

I had the Moroccan Hot Pot, which was very bland. My wife's steak dish came out cold and looked like it was left at a prep station a bit longer than it should. Despite the place being half empty, we were asked if we had reservations when we arrived at 3.30pm.

I kind of 'get' what they are trying to achieve with the decor, but it fails and just ends up looking like so much post-modernist kitsch. I thought it was funny how they serve chips in a little metal bucket and also do the same with the toilet rolls in the toilets.

The problem with these types of places is that they tend to attract a very fickle clientèle - once all the hype and talk dies down, they move on to the next 'in' place. It's one saving grace is that the food isn't too expensive.

Again, I'm left trying to find a place in the North East that even begins to challenge The Snail Box.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Myself and the wife chanced Tangos today at 3pm. The AYCE menu was €28.50 - that's good value!?!

During the week its cheaper. its €21 monday - thursday.

its good value when you feel you've eaten €21 worth of food! :D
    Which is my goal at ALCE.

Again, I'm left trying to find a place in the North East that even begins to challenge The Snail Box.

I keep meaning to check that place out. not many reviews of it here. whats so great about it? Apart from the steak which ive heard is amazing! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

Is that for 2 or per person?

washiskin wrote: »
    Is that for 2 or per person?

Per person, not including drinks.

A chinese meal for two for E57 plus drinks?
    I'm sure it was nice but it doesn't strike me as being especially good value. :confused:

CPL 593H

Well its all you can eat and its served to you not buffet style and the food is top notch. I think its well worth it. We sit there for hours just eating :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Went to the place that's up the alley opposite AIB. I want to say Bibou or something like that?

Loved it. Service was quick and friendly. Got the Hoi Sin Chicken Stir Fry which was lovely. Mom got a Club sandwhich which was good as well. Only two minor complaints; postion size was CRAZY big. The sandwhich order and the Stir Fry could each have fed two. Also, tables are really on top of each other, but that seems to be a common theme in places nowadays :/

But overall, will go back. Having too much of something is always a good complaint to have...

Advertisement