Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drogheda Restaurant Reviews

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Posher

I'm sad to hear it might be the end of Rupee. We get a takeaway from there at least once a week. Punjabi is nice as well - the portions are bigger than Rupee.

We get Chicken Achari or Vindaloo from Rupee.

The Jalfrezi and Chettinad is nicer from Punjabi.

We wouldn't be fans of the milder dishes as such but IMO the Chicken Tikka Masala is nicer from Punjabi. We only get a milder dish when the kids are eating with us (which isn't that often because we enjoy the peace eating when they're in bed)!

I agree with the poster that said a lot of the sauces from Punjabi taste similar. There is a definite differential in Rupee.

Punjabi don't deliver to my house so it will be collection for us if Rupee close.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

Sad about Rupee alright but tbh i'm not all that surprised. We were in it for a meal before xmas, prime time saturday night, and you could count on one hand the amount of people in it. There just doesnt seem to be the appetite there for Indian food in Drogheda. Indus gone, now rupee. That'll leave us with Punjabi and one other that I know of - that one at the Bull ring. Compare that to the amount of chinese restuarants!

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭zac8

If we had an Indian as good as Fuchsia House in Ardee then I'm sure that would be a success. The food there is superb.

I forgot about Bengal Spice on Stockwell street.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭DreamC

This place was formally called Harrys. I was in this restaurant a few weeks ago., when the food was good and the staff pleasant. This evening I called in and the place was like a "Greasy Spoon". To compare it to a "Transport Cafe" would be an insult to a "Transport Cafe". We were there at 5pm approx. We were shown to a dirty table. The waitress cleared the table, while the waiter finished the job. W presented with the lunch menu. We were told that the A La Carte menu does not start until 6pm. That was ok. We ordered. While waiting, I noticed that other table were left uncleaned. Some for more than twenty minutes. When the waiter arrived with our food, he brought only one main course. I questioned this and asked if it was possible to have the tables cleaned. At this the waiter went into a rant and started shouting about never being so insulted. I had a five year old child who got very upset. I got up and left. Thev waiter shouted at me that he was actually closed between 4 and 6 and he was doing me a favour by serving me. I can do without these favours. Would not recommend this place at all, particularly with children. I ahve found out since that this man was not the waiter, but the manager. This makes it even worse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

To be fair, it does say on the door the opening times and then again on the menu.
    I was there yesterday and me and my friend were eating slowly cos hes been away for a year and were catching up. We noticed it was 10 past 4 and apologised to the (who I assume to be manager) that we were taking longer and they were closed, he couldn't have been nicer! Told us to take our time and everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

Got to try Harpers today, it was immense! great food & service.Cant wait to go back! That is all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

CMpunked wrote: »
    To be fair...
    Ahh c'mon now.... If they were admitting customers at 5PM then the place should have been in order regardless of the posted opening times. One thing I despise in any restaurant is tables being left un-cleared. It completely turns me off eating and shows a huge lack of professionalism, at any level. If they don't practice good hygiene front of house I dread what goes on in the back!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭PinkFly

Have I mentioned the Pheasant on this before? Bloody amazing!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭GoodisonPark

Loaves and Fishes beside the car park at Ballsgrove church - biggest and best breakfast in town , €7 for the full Irish , which consists of 2 sausages , 2 rashers , 2 eggs , black/white pudding , tomato , beans, mushrooms , two slices of toast and a big pot of tea/coffee.
    Go on a Friday and get the lot for a fiver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

PinkFly wrote: »
    Have I mentioned the Pheasant on this before? Bloody amazing!!!

Can you tell us more? I've been wondering what it was like for ages.... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭PinkFly

Sure
    They done it up awhile ago decor is very nice
    Have gone on a few Sundays when it was busy n the food was always very nice no hard etc
    The menu is kind of like the usual pub menu; turkey n ham, half chicken n usually bout 7/8 euro for mains
    Some of the tables are in cubbies which is nice if u want a bit of privacy

Loaves and Fishes beside the car park at Ballsgrove church - biggest and best breakfast in town , €7 for the full Irish , which consists of 2 sausages , 2 rashers , 2 eggs , black/white pudding , tomato , beans, mushrooms , two slices of toast and a big pot of tea/coffee.

What's that place actually like, though? I've always been curious, but I've always been afraid to go in in case the customer base consists only of serious church goers who'll stare at you until you leave, or try to coax you into a Sunday mass..?

I've heard the prices are supposed to be very reasonable, though, alright, and the food is nice. Is it an all-day fry up, or only in the mornings?

In the last week I've been in both my favourite places.

Was in the Punjabi House with a group of people on Saturday night. We were there for a couple of hours and the staff were great. Plenty of banter and the food was excellent. I'm not the biggest fan of the hottest curry in the world or anything, so I ordered the chicken curry (as always). I'm not sure if it's because I'm used to it now or not, but it seemed extra mild. Was nice, but much milder than anticipated.

Was still lovely though.

And then, after that, I was in Smythstown on Monday afternoon, and got a Smythstown special (fry up). Still fecking gorgeous. Bit of extra bacon and an extra bit of toast, costs about €10 all in all, and it's just lovely. Still my favourite fry up in the County (though truth be told I've not had fry ups everywhere, so... make of that what you will).

Didnt a few people say before that the cafe in the Boyne shopping centre does the best fry up in town? Was gonna check it out this weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭marvilly

markc1184 wrote: »
    Walked by Rupee this evening and noticed the sign was still outside so went and asked about them closing. They are open until this weekend and then it's closing. He said the the Bettystown restaraunt will still cater for any take aways on a trial basis.

Thanks markc1184... are they open throughout the weekend and then closing? we have Indian loving friends coming on Sunday and we were thinking of going if its still open. sad to see it close:(

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭marvilly

zac8 wrote: »
    If we had an Indian as good as Fuchsia House in Ardee then I'm sure that would be a success. The food there is superb.

Perhaps a bit off topic but has anyone tried their sauces 'aruna at home' (I think?) you can get them in local shops around the place-I loved Fuchsia House when I went to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

And then, after that, I was in Smythstown on Monday afternoon, and got a Smythstown special (fry up). Still fecking gorgeous. Bit of extra bacon and an extra bit of toast, costs about €10 all in all, and it's just lovely. Still my favourite fry up in the County (though truth be told I've not had fry ups everywhere, so... make of that what you will).

That would be in County Meath ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

`Never heard of it is it just for athe church or can anyone go in?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭markc1184

marvilly wrote: »
    Thanks markc1184... are they open throughout the weekend and then closing? we have Indian loving friends coming on Sunday and we were thinking of going if its still open. sad to see it close:(

It was last week when I went in, so as far as I know they closed on Sunday just passed.

There is supposedly a steakhouse/grill type restaraunt opening in its place. It's the owner of Rupee along with a chef from Jaffa. It was meant to open today but I've not been around that area to have a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

Hi, may I ask where Smythstown is?

Many thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,860 ✭✭✭gipi

Smithstown Diner is on the Dublin Road between Drogheda and Julianstown - beside the Glenside Hotel. Looks like a rundown prefab! Lots of parking in front and to the side.

As Gipi said. It's a truck stop, so it's nothing fancy to look at.

Mylow wrote: »
    That would be in County Meath ;-)

Still in Drogheda. ;)

Loaves and Fishes is a coffee chop type of place , very clean and well-run , nothing to do with the church , only opens Mon-Fri afaik from 10am. Serves great breakfasts and lunches.
    Its in the church car park and has a sign overhead. Ask for a token to exit car park when paying and save yourself another €1.
    Smithtstown Diner has gone downhill in recent years in my opinion , since the original owners left and new people came in.
    Tommy Handratty's is always a safe bet , good fry-up and always a
    offer extra toast/brown bread tea etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

remember kings in mell, that was the best breakfast ever.............

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

whelan1 wrote: »
    remember kings in mell, that was the best breakfast ever.............

+1

And Jelly and Ice Cream for desert after lunch! :)

I was in the Cafe in the abbey shopping centre today. I remember hearing on here that their breakfasts are lovely, so I decided to give it a shot.

Upon sitting down we had a menu and had ordered our food in about 60 seconds (me and another person). She ordered a scone and tea, I went with the full Irish.

What a shambles of an operation. There were at least two staff members there that I seen, and there were 9 people in the place (us two, a table of four beside us, and three inside the window). The three inside the window had already been served and were just talking amongst themselves.

Despite the rapid-fire service when we came in, the scone took 15 minutes, and the fry up an extra 25 (so 40 minutes between ordering and receiving the fry). The people behind us upped and left just after our food arrived (they were there before us, but my breakfast arrived before their food). They'd waited an hour apparently, and had had enough.

There was a plate on the table, curry and chips or something like that, and the woman who ordered it (who was talking to us about how bad the service was) said it was cold.

Has to be among the worst service I've ever encountered in a cafe. I've always heard about people leaving restaurants and cafes and the likes, but this is the first time I ever actually seen someone leaving in real life. They weren't charged for the food.

On the upside though; the fry up was lovely. It genuinely was really, really nice. It was no Smythstown, but it was a strong contender in my opinion. I never got toast with it though (I ordered toast, just never got it). The tea seems mean spirited, in that the pot isn't very big (so you have to order extra).

Like I say, the fry was genuinely nice, but the service was amazingly bad. Well, bad might not be the right word, the staff were friendly. Slow would be more precise.

If you have lots of time to kill, I'd highly recommend giving it a shot. If you're in a rush avoid it at all costs though.

The place was also a little sore on the eyes. I don't mean it doesn't look nice, I mean it genuinely was sore on the eyes. Maybe they've a deep fat fryer running that's not well ventilated but you can feel a slight stinging in your eyes after a few minutes inside. Not very pleasant.

If that's the way the place usually operates, then I don't foresee it lasting at all, to be honest (and I'm surprised it has lasted this long). That said, it was my first time in it, so there's always the possibility that they were having an off day or something. Either way, despite the lovely fry, I'd be in no rush to go back.

If I do have breakfast on the town I would usually go to the Westcourt Hotel , full Irish for €8 and a pretty good breakfast too.

If I do have breakfast on the town I would usually go to the Westcourt Hotel , full Irish for €8 and a pretty good breakfast too.

Out of curiousity, is that Barroco or West29?

• Advertisement

I was in the Cafe in the abbey shopping centre today.

Is that the cafe thats beside the opening onto dominic street, shane?

Advertisement