Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drogheda Restaurant Reviews

Options

Comments

Yeah. called "Abbey Cafe" I think. Don't think there's any other cafe in there?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Yeah. called "Abbey Cafe" I think. Don't think there's any other cafe in there?

Thats mad, that's the cafe they are letting people run for free to do with local heroes.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Hanlor

Was in Rendevous, Mell three times since it opened. Each time the standard of food was as good as i've ever had in a local restaurant. Chef seems to have a flair for getting the best out of quality ingredients. If you haven't tried it, would recommend without hesitation

• Registered Users Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭furiousox

CMpunked wrote: »
    Thats mad, that's the cafe they are letting people run for free to do with local heroes.

...and they still manage to make a balls of it! :rolleyes:

CPL 593H

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭GoodisonPark

Out of curiousity, is that Barroco or West29?
    That would be Barroco.

• Advertisement

CMpunked wrote: »

Are you sure? Was that not given up on in the end and somehow amalgamated into Esquires? :confused:

Just that I've never heard Local Heroes mentioning the Abbey Cafe, and I seen no mention of Local Heroes in the Cafe?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Again, I'm left trying to find a place in the North East that even begins to challenge The Snail Box.
    Surly not the pub on the N2 at Kilmoon Cross? You have to be talking about a different Snailbox??

Had lunch there yesterday. The kids meals were good value at €8 inc dessert. Service is quiet good but food only OK at best. Frozen chips... I hate frozen chips!! I had the 10oz sirloin for main with chips. For €20 I expected a few nice hand cut chips but no... the same crappy frozen ones you would get at any €6.99 carvery on a Sunday.

6/10

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭tweety76

Had a great breakfast recently in Moorland Cafe in the town. Seems to have been recently renovated. Spotlessly clean, staff very friendly . Full Irish( think it was 7.95) and I ordered a 5 piece breakfast for 5.95 ( sausage,2 bacon, hash brown, beans) including tea/coffee toast/freshly made brown bread. Was really impressed and will return. Pity to see it so quiet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

tweety76 wrote: »
    Had a great breakfast recently in Moorland Cafe in the town. Seems to have been recently renovated. Spotlessly clean, staff very friendly . Full Irish( think it was 7.95) and I ordered a 5 piece breakfast for 5.95 ( sausage,2 bacon, hash brown, beans) including tea/coffee toast/freshly made brown bread. Was really impressed and will return. Pity to see it so quiet.
    is it still really oily? last time i had a breakfast there it was yuck, havent been back in years... loads of oil on the plate

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

So did Ruppee close or what, anyone know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭markc1184

So did Ruppee close or what, anyone know?

Yeah it did. Place called either Coyne's or Coyle's steakhouse and grill opened were it was now. AFAIK Rupee are still offering deliveries from their Bettystown restaraunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭positron

We got an evening (and night) off from our daughter last weekend, and wow, I could not have imagined it would have been so nice! With no one waiting at home to be entertained, fed, washed, soothed to sleep etc, we had a brilliantly relaxing and leisurely walk to Bia, and that probably was the second best thing about the evening. First best thing was the food at Bia. It's still as good as they used to be... I loved their Thai Sweet Chilli noodle dish, and all other dishes we have tried there so far. Their very limited wine list is probably a tad bit on the expensive side by about 10-20% but they are really nice stuff - very drinkable - almost too yummy!

PS: And third was turning on the surround system at home, immersing ourselves in a range of noises of the tropical jungle or thundering explosions which we hadn't heard in nearly a year now! And talking out loud, and doing stuff without having to worry about waking up the little person! Phew, can someone remind me why do we make babies? ;)

PS: Having said that, we dearly missed her all evening, so much that MrsP went looking for little P in her room in the middle of the night... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

positron wrote: »
    We got an evening (and night) off from our daughter last weekend, and wow, I could not have imagined it would have been so nice! With no one waiting at home to be entertained, fed, washed, soothed to sleep etc, we had a brilliantly relaxing and leisurely walk to Bia, and that probably was the second best thing about the evening. First best thing was the food at Bia. It's still as good as they used to be... I loved their Thai Sweet Chilli noodle dish, and all other dishes we have tried there so far. Their very limited wine list is probably a tad bit on the expensive side by about 10-20% but they are really nice stuff - very drinkable - almost too yummy!

PS: And third was turning on the surround system at home, immersing ourselves in a range of noises of the tropical jungle or thundering explosions which we hadn't heard in nearly a year now! And talking out loud, and doing stuff without having to worry about waking up the little person! Phew, can someone remind me why do we make babies? ;)

PS: Having said that, we dearly missed her all evening, so much that MrsP went looking for little P in her room in the middle of the night... :D

Yeah, love Bia myself, they're in Dunleer also.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭tweety76

whelan1 wrote: »
    is it still really oily? last time i had a breakfast there it was yuck, havent been back in years... loads of oil on the plate

No not oily at all, I hate that myself but it was lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭marvilly

markc1184 wrote: »
    Yeah it did. Place called either Coyne's or Coyle's steakhouse and grill opened were it was now. AFAIK Rupee are still offering deliveries from their Bettystown restaraunt.

has anyone tried coyles yet? the menu was on the back of the Leader paper..looked good and v rerasonable prices!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 dubdee

marvilly wrote: »
    markc1184 wrote: »

has anyone tried coyles yet? the menu was on the back of the Leader paper..looked good and v rerasonable prices!

We tried it last Sunday for lunch and found it really disappointing. I ordered marinated salmon which was just plonked on a huge mound of mash with some veg - no sauce or dressing so very dry and no flavour. OH had beef which he said was bland also. Bad pub grub IMO. Also No place to change baby so I checked the disabled loo which was full of clutter so inaccessible!

For a nice sunday lunch, give D'vine a go instead - has a Sunday roast there which was delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭KaiserLu

Was in Coyle's last night. DO NOT go there. We arrived to a gruff greeting from tatooed staff (just a personal thing, but I don't think these things should be visible) and shown to our table. No atmosphere, nothing on the walls (pictures etc), menus on pieces of paper- very poorly presented. Was served by a girl who took our menus off us while we ordered (wtf?) and didn't seem too interested in listening to us.

Then we were given our starters. Place was FREEZING. I ordered chicken wings and received six of the scabbiest things I have ever seen in my life! Salad on the side was horrible also.

Next came the main course-had ordered steak sandwich but received steak instead (no problem, just send it back). When I pointed this out, a different waitress took it off me (no apology) and gave it back 5 minutes later. Was the exact same steak on a buttered cuisine de france roll. Apparently this is what passes for a sandwich. Coke served in cans, cleaning products visible, etc. Went to order dessert and told that the array they had on the menu wasn't available-either ice cream or cheesecake. Left without tipping (very rarely I do that). Without doubt the WORST service I have ever received. Staff have no idea how to run a restaurant. Fuming! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 15 ARGURIOS1

Scotty # wrote: »
    Surly not the pub on the N2 at Kilmoon Cross? You have to be talking about a different Snailbox??

Had lunch there yesterday. The kids meals were good value at €8 inc dessert. Service is quiet good but food only OK at best. Frozen chips... I hate frozen chips!! I had the 10oz sirloin for main with chips. For €20 I expected a few nice hand cut chips but no... the same crappy frozen ones you would get at any €6.99 carvery on a Sunday.

6/10

Id go along with this, been to the place numerous times (not thru choice) for lunch/early dinner and I find it no better than average. I thought the staff were nice and friendly but food was just ok. Having said that, I havent tried the restaurant at night so maybe that is much better!.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭blingrhino

KaiserLu wrote: »
    Was in Coyle's last night. DO NOT go there. We arrived to a gruff greeting from tatooed staff (just a personal thing, but I don't think these things should be visible) and shown to our table. No atmosphere, nothing on the walls (pictures etc), menus on pieces of paper- very poorly presented. Was served by a girl who took our menus off us while we ordered (wtf?) and didn't seem too interested in listening to us.

Then we were given our starters. Place was FREEZING. I ordered chicken wings and received six of the scabbiest things I have ever seen in my life! Salad on the side was horrible also.

Next came the main course-had ordered steak sandwich but received steak instead (no problem, just send it back). When I pointed this out, a different waitress took it off me (no apology) and gave it back 5 minutes later. Was the exact same steak on a buttered cuisine de france roll. Apparently this is what passes for a sandwich. Coke served in cans, cleaning products visible, etc. Went to order dessert and told that the array they had on the menu wasn't available-either ice cream or cheesecake. Left without tipping (very rarely I do that). Without doubt the WORST service I have ever received. Staff have no idea how to run a restaurant. Fuming! :mad:

kaiserlu -surely the advert on the back of the leader/drogheda was a giveaway as what to expect:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭KaiserLu

blingrhino wrote: »
    kaiserlu -surely the advert on the back of the leader/drogheda was a giveaway as what to expect:eek:

How, exactly? You're gonna have to walk me through this one.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭blingrhino

KaiserLu wrote: »
    How, exactly? You're gonna have to walk me through this one.....

Well for a start the gentleman in the picture is tatooed (not your thing i know) and secondly the furniture is the same as it was when it was a thai restaurant (clearly visible) and finally after been only opened a few weeks they are giving 30 %discount on the menu !-what would you take from that?
    Also i think the MENU,advert ,signage is not really of a standard of esb,d-vine,borzos etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

If the food is good, price is right, staff are polite, the rest is just gravy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

have to reccommend aileens coffe shop on stockwell st, friendly staff, cheap prices and no tattoo's anywhere:D

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭kormak

Was in West29 last Saturday night.
    Delicous food... really varied menu with loads of choice. perhaps a little too much choice maybe?!
    Had the Babyrack rib for starters and a Chicken Tuscon for mains.
    Couldn't fault it... absolutely yum!
    and the little tapas choices are a delicous addition too. :)

For a nice sunday lunch, give D'vine a go instead - has a Sunday roast there which was delicious.[/QUOTE]

we went to D'vine on Sunday and loved it...great food! some people around us were complaining the service was slow...ours was fine and we like a bit of a break between courses anyway. The steak was fabulous and the gratin delish! the calamari were fab too... huge pieces with the nicest garlic mayo! :D

dubdee wrote: »
    We tried it last Sunday for lunch and found it really disappointing. I ordered marinated salmon which was just plonked on a huge mound of mash with some veg - no sauce or dressing so very dry and no flavour. OH had beef which he said was bland also. Bad pub grub IMO. Also No place to change baby so I checked the disabled loo which was full of clutter so inaccessible!

For a nice sunday lunch, give D'vine a go instead - has a Sunday roast there which was delicious.

thanks dubdee... shall be giving that a miss so!why oh why would anyone think this kind of thing will cut it in the current climate?? and as for the disabled loo being inaccessible???:eek:

we went to BT Bistro in Bettystown last week. Its got a dog friendly, covered terrace for anyone walking their dog on the beach. the terrace was really clean... the inside area is lovely too for those who prefer doggie-free;) they supply dog water bowls and biscuit treats if you do bring the canine along! the service was great...the waitress advised us there was a wait as the restaurant was busy and all food was cooked fresh to order, which was fine with us. the food arrived in v reasonable time-and was delicious! great portions and really good value. The waitress came over to check on us (and the dog!) to see if everything was okay despite being so busy inside. Would def recommend:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Shoe Lover

we went to D'vine on Sunday and loved it...great food! some people around us were complaining the service was slow...ours was fine and we like a bit of a break between courses anyway. The steak was fabulous and the gratin delish! the calamari were fab too... huge pieces with the nicest garlic mayo! :D

Some friends of mine were there on Sunday for their lunch. They had to wait an hour after their starter before they got their main course. Unacceptable in my opinion! The girl didn't even come over to them to apologise for the wait. :( While the food is tasty in there, I've noticed that the service is not great.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

thanks dubdee... shall be giving that a miss so!why oh why would anyone think this kind of thing will cut it in the current climate?? and as for the disabled loo being inaccessible???:eek:

we went to BT Bistro in Bettystown last week. Its got a dog friendly, covered terrace for anyone walking their dog on the beach. the terrace was really clean... the inside area is lovely too for those who prefer doggie-free;) they supply dog water bowls and biscuit treats if you do bring the canine along! the service was great...the waitress advised us there was a wait as the restaurant was busy and all food was cooked fresh to order, which was fine with us. the food arrived in v reasonable time-and was delicious! great portions and really good value. The waitress came over to check on us (and the dog!) to see if everything was okay despite being so busy inside. Would def recommend:)

They really are lovely there, usually have a saturday lunch with the dogs:D after our walk on the beach. Really tasty food as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭furiousox

Has anyone been in Fate Szechuan in Bettystown, what's it like?

CPL 593H

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 dubdee

kormak wrote: »
    Was in West29 last Saturday night.
    Delicous food... really varied menu with loads of choice. perhaps a little too much choice maybe?!
    Had the Babyrack rib for starters and a Chicken Tuscon for mains.
    Couldn't fault it... absolutely yum!
    and the little tapas choices are a delicous addition too. :)

I second that! Had the tapas menu - it was all delicious, especially the prawns. Service was top class - for example OH dropped his knife & a waiter appeared from across the room with a clean one before we had even looked to ask for one - a small thing but attention to detail like this can make a huge difference. Also i liked the little complimentary soup & yummy breads. Will definitely go back again (and again and again)

Advertisement